Author Topic: PC Jade Empire  (Read 7110 times)

Offline clock sendak

• delantero derecho
  • Planewalker
PC Jade Empire
« on: March 10, 2007, 12:06:58 AM »
anybody played it? 

what're the controls like (I mean, in terms of PC interface how do you determine different fighting styles- is it like casting spells in bg2 or do you need a bloody hand controller cos it's really street fighter you're playing)?
Hey yo, I know this dude right.
Carl, he wore tight blue sweats, but wasn't glued too tight.  all he had upstairs was a crude light
you think that's weird, he lived next door to a food fight.

Offline KIrving

• Planewalker
Re: PC Jade Empire
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2007, 08:19:34 PM »
Sorry, I've only played the xbox version.  Just a complete stab in the dark, but I imagine the interface/controls might end up being KOTORish, *shrugs*.  (I really have no idea. :))
In the xbox version it does give a fairly safe start and, initially, plenty of opportunity to have infinite practise bouts before choosing to advance the story.  I can't see them changing that for the PC version. 

I will say though that it is a fun game.  It seemed somewhat like a cross between Ninja Gaiden and KOTOR but without the, slamming controller in the head frustration, of Ninja Gaiden. 
Look at the stars.
Listen to the rain.
Walk backwards.
Talk to a rock.

Offline OfficerDonNZ

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2007, 10:25:39 PM »
I've got a copy of Jade for PC and all I can say is I prefer the xbox verson (yes I have a copy of that too) :) the amount of buttons you've got to remeber :shudders: It took me a while to get the hang of it and I'm seriously looking at getting a game pad to play it on the PC.

Offline Caedwyr

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2007, 04:42:48 PM »
I just use a gamepad when playing on my PC.  It works great.
"Knowledge is Power.  Power Corrupts.  Study Hard.  Be Evil."  - Mikka

PnP Celestials
Geomantic Sorcerer Kit

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 08:27:28 PM »
Jade Empire is great, you don't need a controller or anything - the gameplay is really simple - plays more like an Action RPG like Diablo or simple MMO's.  Nothing at all like Ninja Gaiden or any type of fighting game.  I would recommend getting it if you can find it for $30 or less.  (One play through will last you about 15 hours).

Offline shiroryu

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2008, 01:46:13 AM »
Yes, pretty much action-RPG fare...am playing it currently...I was a bit disappointed as I was expecting a deeper combat engine, but I realize that they wanted to make it appeal to RPG fans as well. I'm a fighting game fan and an RPG fan, so was expecting this to be great. It's fun, but doesn't reach the heights Bioware could've taken it.  :'( Am fervently wishing for a Jade Empire 2 with a better engine and more options.

Since they've gone with a stripped-down fighting engine (Quick Attack/Power Attack/Area Attack/Block) ( I heard that they had a much more impressive engine in the earlier stages of development, but nerfed it later), they've compensated with more 'fighting styles' - and while that is fun to play around with, there's a very clear hierarchy of styles that 'work'. For example, you get Drunken Master style in the game, but while it's fun initially, it doesn't grow in strength like other styles.

The story is good, however, and does draw you in.
"Kneel before the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt." - Mazrim Taim, Wheel of Time

"Right. I had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our mother and father would kill us and dance on our graves singing Halleluja. "

Offline Rodman49

• Excellence Incarnate
  • Planewalker
  • Nietzschean
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2008, 05:04:24 PM »
Since they've gone with a stripped-down fighting engine (Quick Attack/Power Attack/Area Attack/Block) ( I heard that they had a much more impressive engine in the earlier stages of development, but nerfed it later), they've compensated with more 'fighting styles' - and while that is fun to play around with, there's a very clear hierarchy of styles that 'work'. For example, you get Drunken Master style in the game, but while it's fun initially, it doesn't grow in strength like other styles.

I hear that, Jade Golem kicks the crap out of all the styles too.

Offline shiroryu

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2008, 06:53:46 AM »
Haven't gotten there yet, but yeah, transformation styles take all the fun out of the game, IMHO. Jade Golem basically transforms you into this big near-invincible golem that kicks all sorts of ass. I think they left this in for pure roleplayer-people who weren't comfortable with the combat( not that there's anything wrong with that) and therefore could simply transform, kick ass, and then get back to the dialogue. It's far too unbalancing from the combat aspect.

Now that I've been able to play more of the game, the combat is pretty fun( except for the aforementioned Transformation styles ). Especially once you get the Storm Dragon/Stone Immortal/Tempest styles.

It's sad that there aren't any throw moves, or that your martial styles don't add on new moves as you grow stronger. An Oni-style combat engine, only with kungfu/weapon/magic moves would've been even cooler.

"Kneel before the Lord Dragon, or you will be knelt." - Mazrim Taim, Wheel of Time

"Right. I had to get up at ten o'clock at night, half an hour before I went to bed, drink a cup of sulphuric acid, work twenty-nine hours a day down at the mill and pay the mill owner for permission to come to work, and when we got home, our mother and father would kill us and dance on our graves singing Halleluja. "

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: