Author Topic: no valentine's for the rpg  (Read 4965 times)

Offline clock sendak

• delantero derecho
  • Planewalker
no valentine's for the rpg
« on: February 14, 2007, 06:24:53 PM »
so i went out and dropped a couple of day's wages on Guild Wars and the new Elder Scrolls.  I also checked out gametap, but nothing, not even a little bit, comes remotely close to one iota as playable as BG2.  Guild wars, the best so far, is e  n  d  l  e  s  s running and not much reward for it.  Oblivion is the same but with less reward and it's REALLY hard.  Gametap has pst, so that's nice, but I tried a couple of others, and well, not so much.  Anybody here on gametap that might be able to suggest something?  I guess I don't know all that much about a lot of the games, but I don't really like 1st person shooters, and I really love the specificity of BG2 (esp. with items and magic stuff).  Help.  I'm bored and that much closer to broke.
Hey yo, I know this dude right.
Carl, he wore tight blue sweats, but wasn't glued too tight.  all he had upstairs was a crude light
you think that's weird, he lived next door to a food fight.

Offline Menelanna

• Planewalker
Re: no valentine's for the rpg
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 06:48:21 PM »
Neverwinter Nights was a blast. You just can't have as large of a party as BG. But I enjoyed the story of the first game (have not played the second one yet) and some of the magic weapons you get are oh so sweet!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:18:46 PM »
Gametap doesn't seem to have a terribly robust RPG section, but you might enjoy the Might and Magics.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 07:27:25 PM »
There are a lot of good old RPGs you can pick up for dirt cheap.  Siege of Avalon for example was highly underrated but functionally similar to the BG series - you can form parties of various NPCs, complete class-related quests, build up a journal, customise your equipment, etc.  It dragged a bit toward the end and could've used some modding the way the IE games have (bags of holding would've been good, for example).  Great storyline though - something newer games tend to lack.

The first couple of Kohans were pretty good too - more strategy than pure RPG but again, great storyline.  Pretty sizable modding community too.  I have the third one but never got around to it.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: