Author Topic: If anyone's having problems with Reaver ...  (Read 17175 times)

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
If anyone's having problems with Reaver ...
« on: February 07, 2007, 04:02:49 AM »
... then I can probably help.  I've playtested this powergaming kit extensively, I know how it works.  You'll hit a few snags when you get to higher levels.  Post here if you have problems, I'll help you out with the sequence you need to do to get things right again.
"Some say that our destinies may be read in the stars, that the plans of the gods are revealed to those who but know where to look.  They speak it true but their location is false, for I have seen my destiny shining in your eyes" (Anomen, PPG NPC Flirt Pack)

"You know you're tired when you get up from the desk and the headset's still around your neck"

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
Re: If anyone's having problems with Reaver ...
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 12:21:39 PM »
I'll take you up on the offer..

For some reason when I leveled up to level 20 reaver the mage level went down to 10..
I leveled up in Fiirkrags dungeon, right about the room with random undead creatures guarding the room with the shades..

I my mage level was 13 before the level-up

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 09:28:20 PM »
At first glance, there's something seriously wrong.  With Reaver, your mage level should be only one level behind the Reaver level.  As you're level 20, mage should be 19.

Are you sure the Reaver conversion worked?  Check out your stats screen, click kit and see what it says.  If it says Mage/Thief, Reaver didn't work.  If it says Reaver, you're okay.  Although, if the Reaver conversion worked, I'd have expected you to have problems long before now.
"Some say that our destinies may be read in the stars, that the plans of the gods are revealed to those who but know where to look.  They speak it true but their location is false, for I have seen my destiny shining in your eyes" (Anomen, PPG NPC Flirt Pack)

"You know you're tired when you get up from the desk and the headset's still around your neck"

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2007, 12:28:24 PM »
I actually tried som SKing and put my mage level to 19 and the next time I got XP a bunch of stuff happened, which ultimately meant that I was now a level 19 mage/level 20 Reaver

I might have had problems before this but haven't really paid attention to it before..
Could it have something to do with being leveldrained?

I can actually see that the mage level have been 2-3 levels behind most of the time.
i.e. 17/19 13/16 10/12 7/9

the last one is not long after I escaped Irencus's dungeon..

In Record it says mage/thief in Description it says Reaver and Mage

It apparently works now, but I would like to avoid anything weird happening later on because of this, so you have any ideas as to what might have happened?

EDIT: No, it actually doesn't work afterall. I just leveled up and now it says Reaver level: 21 and Mage level: 14
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 01:04:07 PM by kuhl »

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 01:17:13 PM »
OK now its getting really weird to me..
If I look at my level in SK it says 16/21 and it's the savegame I just made, which ingame say I am level 14/21

Seeing that I reloaded the game from before the level up and ingame it says level 16/20 and in SK it says 19/20..
I am utterly confused now  ???

Have I stumbled over a bug or something?

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 08:06:03 PM »
I had a quick talk to Zyraen about this yesterday and he said the one *I* had was buggy.  I had the very first release and tested the kit over and over prior to his adding the cleric spells to it.  I have to be honest and say that I'm not far enough into BG2 at the moment to remember the sequence for levelling up (I've had a fairly long break from the game and wasn't expecting anyone to scream for help so quickly).

I know that changing the levels with SK does NOT work anymore, because I tried to do that, too.

It looks like the Reaver conversion worked, so if you can give me a few hours to sprint through until I have a bad level up, I can help.  Otherwise, Zyraen can probably help on this one.  Btw, which version of Reaver do you have, the one from zymisc1.zip or zymisc2.zip?

Edited to add:
No, hang on, it wasn't in zymisc1.zip - I had a private version.  I'll need to download the new one and try that out to see what's going on.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2007, 08:23:43 PM by Silk »

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2007, 12:23:04 AM »
I've just taken a Reaver through all the level ups (via changing XP in SK) from 7 - 20.  I had no problems at all.  There's one more thing I have to try and that's visit Windspear Hills, as Garren's Cabin had a weird effect on Reaver in the first releases.  As I've now got a level 20 Reaver, Windspear shouldn't be too difficult for her.

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 02:04:49 AM »
Okay, I've tried that and can't duplicate what you're experiencing.  Everything worked perfectly.  I think this is one Zyraen needs to look at.

Note: The mage level does actually level up one level behind what it says onscreen.  Onscreen right now, my Reaver is showing 21 in Reaver and 20 in Mage but in SK it shows 21 for Reaver and 19 for Mage, which is correct (I think).

ZYRAEN!!!???
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 02:11:56 AM by Silk »

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 02:31:32 AM »
Could it have anything to do with chapters?
I am "cleaning" my journal in chapter 6 before going after Bodhi..

Note: The mage level does actually level up one level behind what it says onscreen.  Onscreen right now, my Reaver is showing 21 in Reaver and 20 in Mage but in SK it shows 21 for Reaver and 19 for Mage, which is correct (I think).

then these levels look OK

i.e. 17/19 13/16 10/12 7/9

so I could try and load a game when I am level 17/19 and try from there to see if there is something wrong from that point on..

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2007, 02:38:25 AM »
If it's showing 17/19 in SK, yes.  If it's showing that onscreen, then there's something wrong.  As I said, I did all the levelling in SK with XP, rather than try to change to the levels (which doesn't work).  Obviously, because it was better to give you a quick answer, I really haven't played much of the game.

Tips:
Make sure the AI is ON (if you turn it off normally, remember to turn it on again for level ups).
I'm hoping you are human, no, you must be because otherwise you couldn't have dual classed.
I'm also assuming your stats matched the Readme ones for Reaver conversion.

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 02:46:52 AM »
Btw, I was just reading your WeiDU log (you posted it in another topic).  You have a lot more mods than I do and some that I wouldn't touch.  Reaver may be having trouble with one of the mods.

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 02:48:24 AM »
I looked at the level in SK, I usually play with AI set to ON but there are times where I take it off because I don't want NPC to attack (which is primarily when I have used some area-effect spell) so I might have leveled up without the AI on at some point during the game.. If it happened at some early point would it be corrected if the AI was on at the next level-up?

My stats match the req. from the readme.. I used ctrl+8 after having tried to get them for about ½ an hour

You might be right about some other mod conflicting with the Reaver..
Which one(s) would you stay away from?

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 02:51:19 AM »
That's a tricky question to ask in an open forum because something I say would be bound to hurt someone's feelings, and I try to avoid that.  You can PM me if you like.

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 02:54:35 AM »
If it is just personal preference, then I'm keeping what I've got. I just thought it was because one or more of those mods had a rep. for being buggy or something

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 02:56:13 AM »
Just send the PM, kuhl.

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 03:05:10 AM »
Okay, I've just been to SHS and looked at the Readme for TDD.  It says it's compatible with other mods AS LONG AS THEY DON'T ADD NEW KITS.  You've installed a new kit in Reaver.  That *could* be your problem.

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2007, 03:17:22 AM »
hmm must have missed that one...

That, more or less, means I have to start over with my game after uninstalling TDDsinTDD, right?

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2007, 03:23:38 AM »
To be honest, I'm not sure.  I've continued games after uninstalling something halfway through, but I might have been lucky.  If you don't mind waiting for Zyraen to look at this, keep playing and see what happens.  Don't uninstall anything, just see what happens.  I appreciate you've gone a long way through the game and probably don't want to start again.

As I said, I'm not sure what the problem is, exactly, but TDD stands out with that kit thing.

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2007, 09:52:43 AM »
Reaver should have absolutely no problems with any other Mods, since it is basically a very simple piece of work, to those who understand the code. Basically the Reaver works this way...

On every level up (beyond level 8 or 9 i think), the Kit automatically applies a Level Up to your Second (ie Inactive) Class, which is the Mage. There is a background script that basically LOWERS the level of your second class, 1 level at a time, IF at any point in time during the game, your Inactive Mage class level EXCEEDS your Active Thief level.

So if you are a fixed number of levels behind (ie 12/14, 17/19), SKing the inactive class (up by 1 level to 13/14, 18/19) should do fine to rectify the problem.

Possible causes could be a Mod installed that affects the Kit functionality of the Reaver, which in turn prevents the level up from working properly.

In any case, the Reaver version released in zymisc2 is, to my knowledge, a very smooth ride, unlike the one that Silk experienced in the past (hence its non-existence in zymisc1)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 09:54:18 AM by Zyraen »
(http://www.geocities.com/arkevaul/btlbn2.gif)
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, & more

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2007, 11:29:11 AM »
BTW the Reaver is a Thief Kit. as long as you install it after TDD has been installed, it should be working reasonably ok.

From the Misc Mod Readme
9) Occasionally, the Mage Level exceeds the Thief, disabling your Spellbook etc. Don’t worry, just unpause the game. A script running in the background (baldur.bcs) should fix the problem for you.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2007, 11:44:47 AM by Zyraen »
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2007, 10:43:00 PM »
From the TDD Readme
- This mod is compatible with SoA and ToB. You can install either one of the versions.
- It is also compatible with other mods THAT DONT ADD NEW KITS.
Says it all I guess. My best advice to you is to try reinstalling Reaver. If it still doesn't work, then its an Either/Or case, and I understand TDD is a pain to uninstall.
Or you could just live with the bugginess.

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: February 11, 2007, 12:10:25 AM »
I have actually narrowed it down to being caused be Windspear Hills..

I loaded a savegame from before I went there and am currently at levels 21/22 without going to windspear hills...

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: February 11, 2007, 10:50:44 AM »
I have just finished SoA without any problems.. This time around I know I wasn't leveldrained, which I think I was in the first run through windspear hills.
I did try a restoration spell but that didn't work either..

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2007, 05:42:27 AM »
The original Reaver had major problems in Windspear Hills but from what I've seen so far, it's fixed in the new version (the version you've got).  When I was testing out your problem, I did a level up in Garren's cabin (the place where oddities happened) and nothing untoward happened.  I'll have a wander through Windspear and see what happens.

basher

« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2007, 05:08:19 PM »
Hi!
I've just recently discovered all the mods out there and therefore decided to give BGII another try. Now I wanted to play with the Reaver kit, but even though I'm a Reaver in my character screen, there is no spell casting button on the bottom bar. Furthermore, my mage book is all grey, even though I'm on par with my mage level (7/7, directly after leaving the dungeon).
I've got quite a number of mods installed now:

Unfinished business
Kelsey
Banter
Flirt
Quest Pack
and the Balderdash Tweaks and Fixpack. (Hope I've got that right)

Anyway, do you have any idea what the problem might be? I'd be grateful for any suggestions.

P.S., do you know if it is somehow possible to play a dual class kensay/sorcerer?

Thanks

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: