Author Topic: A Belated Thank You to SimSing0  (Read 1876 times)

Rahul Kanakia

A Belated Thank You to SimSing0
« on: September 03, 2006, 04:20:16 AM »
Hey, I realized that it's almost two years to a day since I wrote my potion quest module for BG2, which is now a part of the Quest Pack and I realized that I never fully recognized SimDing0's amazing contributions.

I wrote the Potion Quest in a three day fit of boredom. It was full of bugs that basically made it unplayable unless you cheated. In particular, I used a bunch of potions from BG that weren't actually in BG2, amongst other sins. I cast it out into the community and then left it behind with very little support. Imagine my surprise when, five months later, I get a message from Sim saying that he wanted to include it in the quest pack. It still amazes me that he read through the mod and found the diamond in the rough. He took the time to find what was good in the module and then took time out of his own valuable schedule to show that good to the rest of the world. Since then he and JCompton have done tremendous things with it. They have corrected the bugs and rewritten the dialogue. They have polished it into a real contribution to the community. They have spent a good number of hours (probably more than I did) making it into something worthwhile and I just wanted to recognize them for a moment in a public forum.

We've had our differences. I know that in the first year I hassled Sim alot because I didn't think he had taken the potion quest in the right direction. I still think that my original ending was better (for me). But in the end, he is the one who put the time in. He is the one who made it work. Since then, I have left the modding scene in order to concentrate on my fiction writing, but I am honestly flabbergasted that the potion quest was taken up by such a capable writer and coder. In the next few days I am going to modify the potion quest website to redirect them to this website. I will tell them to only download my version for historical value, if they want to see the alternate endings, because I think that you guys have done such a good job.

Honestly, I could go on and on, but I'll try not to. I think you've done a tremendous job, both with the potion quest and with every other part of the module. It is only after seeing the tremendous flaws in potion quest (which you've corrected) that I realized what a great job you guys did. Furthermore, I thank you for keeping my name on it and allowing me to preserve my miniscule portion of fame in the BG2 modding community, whose fruits I have enjoyed so much. You guys have truly done me a good turn and soon I will be updating my website to redirect them back here. From now on, I honestly think that the only reason to download potionquest is to look it up in WeiDu and see the original ending and dialogue, purely for historical value. Otherwise, I think you've done a great job and I hope you continue to do a great job until a worthy successor to BG2 finally comes along.

If the previous post hasn't been gushing enough, I'd like to close by just saying thank you. You guys have been great. Sim and JC have been great in particular. And everyone who helped debug my freshman effort have been great in particular. I know my effort wasn't much. It was just a tiny addition to a much larger whole. But you guys made it all worth it. I wish you all good luck adventuring in Amn!

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
Re: A Belated Thank You to SimSing0
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2006, 08:29:30 AM »
And I'd just like to say: no, thank YOU--both for allowing me to use your great mod, and for being one of the friendliest people I've worked with here. Good luck with your fiction writing!

Rahkan

Re: A Belated Thank You to SimSing0
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2006, 06:55:50 AM »
Shit, if I've been friendly, I can't imagine how ornery some of the people in the community must be. I mean, we have had more than one heated exchange over the years =)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: