Author Topic: Item Stat Bonuses  (Read 8988 times)

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
Item Stat Bonuses
« on: October 30, 2006, 11:21:38 AM »
Generally, I've always felt that in BG2 there are WAAAAY too many items that set Stat to value X, especially for Strength. It has always made rolling for Strength a general non-issue.

So I've done up a Patch Component that basically does the following

For any item that Sets any of the 6 Stats to a value greater than 17,
the Patch converts the Set Value to a Increase Stat according to the following Scale

Set to 18-19 replaced by +2 Bonus
Set to 20-22 replaced by +3 Bonus
Set to 23-25 replaced by +4 Bonus

So for example, Crom Faeyr will only give a +4 Str Bonus, instead of setting to 25.
Similarly, Gloves of Dexterity will provide a +2 Dex Bonus, instead of setting to 18.

I'm thinking should I leave the component this way, or separate it into one that patches all set Str items to bonuses, and leaves the other Stat settings (like Gloves of Dex, Ring of Human Influence, etc) unmodified?

Thoughts anyone?
(http://www.geocities.com/arkevaul/btlbn2.gif)
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, & more

Offline Gorilym

• hyperbolic strawman
  • Planewalker
    • MacEasyTutu
Re: Item Stat Bonuses
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2006, 12:21:02 PM »
I vote that you split it into two components. I like the STR items being changed, but poor Keldorn would be so disappointed if I gave him gloves that only give +2 to DEX. ;D Ideally there would be a separate component for the Ring of Human Influence, because I'd definitely like to nerf that. (although it might possibly be more useful with a +2 to CHA bonus)

Kiera

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2006, 02:09:00 PM »
>> Set to 23-25 replaced by +4 Bonus

How about set to 25 replaced by +5?  Crom Faeyr only, I suppose.

>> For any item that Sets any of the 6 Stats to a value greater than 17 ...

How about a combination of the two: raise the Stat to the higher of Stat+2 or 16?  That way characters can get some benefit from the item since Stats from 9 to 14 are equivalent in the game.

Kiera

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2006, 02:44:20 PM »
Also, it seems to me that an item that formerly set a Stat to 18 shouldn't be able to raise the Stat above 18 (or maybe 19).

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 12:11:57 PM »
Sounds quite good; I've never really seen the logic in Aerie suddenly gaining monstrous strength from touching CFaeyr, a hammer which, were it not enchanted, she wouldn't even be able to lift. It opens the door to all kinds of abuse, like my Cleric/Mage starting BG1 and using STR as his dump stat to raise all his others to 18--knowing that I could survive until getting the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, and then again in BG2 until I bought a Girdle. Softening the items in this way is more realistic.

My issue is, it seems inconsistent to do this for items and not for potions. Why should a Potion of Hill Giant Strength be far more potent (for weak people) than the Crom Faeyr? Then again, this inconsistency might very well make many potions useful again: If Keldorn is your Tank, Potions of Agility will still be useful, even after he's got the Gauntlets of Dexterity. This is definitely a good, balanced idea, and I'll be incorporatiing it into any mods that I make--for items, at least. I'm as yet undecided on what to do with potions.

More importantly, what happens when +stat items stack? If your Half-Orc (STR 19) Cleric takes the Evil path in the Test of Wrath (STR +2), equips his Holy Symbol (Str+1), and then Crom Faeyr (STR +4), would that not set his STR to 26, looping around to 0 and killing him instantly?

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 08:06:58 PM »
That's a good thing to take note of. Let me try that and I'll see if it kills the char.
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2006, 08:57:02 PM »
It maxes out at 25, using Call Upon Holy Might :) even with Crom Faeyr's +4 Str, it doesn't go above 25, nor does it reset to 0. :)

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2006, 10:26:41 AM »
DUHM is unusual in that it's specially forced not to exceed 25. You could have STR 18, use DUHM to raise it to 25, then equip CFaeyr and that will set your "base" to 22, and the DUHM is still capped at 25. Try it with items alone, just to make absolutely sure.

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2006, 09:11:33 PM »
Tried with Crom Faeyr (+4) Belt of Frost Giant Str (+3) Holy Symbol (+1) Gauntlets of Ogre Strength (+2) on Anomen.
No overflow ;)

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2006, 12:38:34 PM »
Yay!  :)

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2006, 06:57:46 PM »
Way cool 8)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: