Author Topic: No name?  (Read 990 times)

Sev

No name?
« on: July 08, 2006, 12:38:30 PM »
Came across something odd today, and I'm not sure how to fix it. My NPC doesn't have a name. When you hover over her with the cursor the tooltip shows up, but there's nothing in it. Not sure what the problem is, my other NPC, who is almost identical, works just fine. I've sat and compared the two for hours, and I'm sure the answer is right in front of my face, but I can't find it. Here's the TP2 file:

----------------------
BACKUP ~cyra\backup~
AUTHOR ~Sevarus (rogue_r0x0rz@yahoo.com)~
BEGIN ~Cyra for BG2:SoA + ToB~

COPY ~cyra\portraits~ ~override~

COPY ~cyra\A_CYRA.cre~ ~override\A_CYRA.cre~
  SAY NAME1 ~Cyra~
  SAY NAME2 ~Cyra~
  SAY (all the other subtitles and bio go here)

COMPILE ~cyra\A_CYRA.d~
COMPILE ~cyra\A_BCYRA.d~

EXTEND_TOP ~Ar0900.bcs~ ~cyra\AR0900.baf~

APPEND ~pdialog.2da~
~A_CYRA A_CYRAP A_CYRAJ A_CYRAD~
UNLESS ~A_CYRA~
UNLESS ~25POST~

APPEND ~pdialog.2da~
~A_CYRA A_CYRAP A_CYRAJ A_CYRAD A_CYR25P A_CYR25J A_CYR25D A_CYRA25~
UNLESS ~A_CYRA~
IF ~25POST~

APPEND ~interdia.2da~
~A_CYRA A_BCYRA~
UNLESS ~A_CYRA~
UNLESS ~25FILE~

APPEND ~interdia.2da~
~A_CYRA A_BCYRA A_BCYRA25~
UNLESS ~A_CYRA~
IF ~25FILE~
-------------------------------

Note that her name works if I put SAY NAME1 ~WTFMATE~. Actually, it works for everything BUT ~Cyra~. What's the deal? Is something conflicting?

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: No name?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2006, 02:42:37 PM »
I believe you when you say that it works when you change it, but the odds that the problem is with the word "Cyra" are pretty slim. Make absolutely, positively sure that you've quit out of the game and all modding tools before you try installing.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:47:46 PM by jcompton »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Duality

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2006, 02:45:56 PM »
I don't know why there would be a conflict with the name, especially since I just made a quick .tp2 file that copied a creature and called "Cyra" and it worked fine.

My guess would be that the problem is somewhere in the .cre file. Some sort of corruption perhaps?

Did you try using a .tra file instead of putting the name right in the .tp2 file?

Just as a check, duplicate the .cre that works and change it's name to cyra in the .tp2 file. It should work, and if it does, the easiest thing to do would be to then make the necessary changes to the file and use that copy instead.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2006, 02:47:43 PM by Duality »
"I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter."

"There is a certain freedom in being totally screwed. It means that nothing you do is going to make it any worse."

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

Sev

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2006, 11:04:39 PM »
I've remade the .cre 3 times, each from different sources, so I don't think it's that. It's possible that I could have a modding tool running... but I don't know. I don't have access to the game right now, but I'll try copying the working file and changing its name.

Honestly, what a stupid problem. I have half the banters written up and ready to go, and I get a bug like this. *rolls eyes*

Sev

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2006, 05:50:42 PM »
How odd. I copied my other NPC's .cre file, changed her name to Cyra, reinstalled, CLUA'ed her in... no name! Seems there was a bit of a problem with my dialog.tlk file, so I replaced it with the backup, and now it works. Weird. Anyway, thanks for your help, I'm sure I'll be back with more questions soon. ::)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: