Author Topic: Someone with a Monster Manual, please  (Read 3166 times)

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
Someone with a Monster Manual, please
« on: May 29, 2006, 03:44:01 AM »
The online one I've been referencing was politely asked to cease & desist hosting copyrighted material . . . darn. Don't worry, I only have one question.

What exactly is an Ettercap?

Is it a mammal? A reptile? An invertebrate? Come to think of it, are they able to converse with other intelligent species, or are they only just barely clever enough to make those damn Web traps? I guess that's two questions, sorry.

Thankee!

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: Someone with a Monster Manual, please
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2006, 04:20:20 AM »
It does not really say what type of creature their are. Females abandon their offspring after giving birth. Ettercaps are of low intelligence and coorperate with spiders. They express themselves through a combination of high-pitched chittering noises, shrieks, and violent actions.

I think they are simply humans crossed with spiders. I do not know what the designers were inspired by or thinking of when they made this creature, but its name is very close to the Danish word for spider, 'Edderkop'.

-Echon

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2006, 05:23:34 AM »
Heh, just typed a long reply in PM to you. :)

For others who are interested: hangs around with spiders, looks like a cross between a man and a spider.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2006, 05:43:11 AM »
I do not know what the designers were inspired by or thinking of when they made this creature, but its name is very close to the Danish word for spider, 'Edderkop'.

Slightly closer is an old English word for spider, 'Attercop' (which is, of course, clearly based on/related to the Danish word).
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline discharger12

• Truth?
  • Planewalker
  • k
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2006, 09:16:27 AM »
Hybrid as a result of a wizard?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2006, 11:01:31 AM »
As far as I know they exist independently and can breed, so even if they were created originally through magic they're self-sustaining now.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2006, 02:32:52 PM »
Well, judging by the picture you linked me to, Andyr, they sure ain't got no exoskeleton, and their musculature is clearly built on an endoskeleton just like humans'. And Echon, i notice you said that the females give birth, so overall this looks very much like a species that got its start when an entire family / village of Humans was cursed with the appearance and intellect of Spiders. Beats me how they can still make Web traps, though.

See the Ettercap: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG106.jpg
And the Web Golem: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mmiii_gallery/83003.jpg
And the Drider: http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/MM35_gallery/MM35_PG89.jpg

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2006, 03:52:56 PM »
Beats me how they can still make Web traps, though.

They have got silk glands, too.

-Echon

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2006, 05:12:54 PM »
Well, judging by the picture you linked me to, Andyr, they sure ain't got no exoskeleton, and their musculature is clearly built on an endoskeleton just like humans'. And Echon, i notice you said that the females give birth, so overall this looks very much like a species that got its start when an entire family / village of Humans was cursed with the appearance and intellect of Spiders. Beats me how they can still make Web traps, though.

Yeah, like I said, they're clearly not arthropods but don't seem too mammalian either. Ech's right about the silk glands.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2006, 12:10:23 AM »
I was referring to their brains, not their hardware. :)

If Spider-Man's spinnerets were where they'd be on a real spider, his rating would jump from PG to NC-17 in a heartbeat.  :P

Offline Shadow n 787

• Destroyer of Worlds.
  • Planewalker
  • Forever a king.....in my own mind.
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2006, 07:38:50 AM »
I was referring to their brains, not their hardware. :)

If Spider-Man's spinnerets were where they'd be on a real spider, his rating would jump from PG to NC-17 in a heartbeat.  :P
Ewwwwww.....  :pirate
"Awww, what happened to FLCL?" - <Shadow n 787>
".....For the last time, I AM NOT AN ELF!" - <Shadow n 787>

TheCIASentMe

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 02:55:26 PM »
By 3e standards they are Abberations. In the same class as Beholders, Carrion Crawlers, Driders, Mimics, Mind flayers, nagas, and umber hulks among others.

The best way to think of abberations is as alien lifeforms from different planets or places with different rules. They're not insects and while they're not very smart they are 'intelligent' and can speak common. They're not mammals exactly but they share similar qualities. Skeleton surrounded by flesh is the biggest.

Also on the spider relationship bit, they keep the small spiders as pets much like we would keep bees and the large spiders like we would keep a dog.

So in answer, they are most similar to mammals without being a mammal.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2006, 03:06:49 PM »
Can somebody tell me the proper singular and plural of kuo-toa? Is it kuo-toa and kuo-toan(s), kuo-toa and kuo-toa(s), or just kuo-toa, or what?

Much thanks.

Offline Blucher

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2006, 01:37:35 PM »
Can somebody tell me the proper singular and plural of kuo-toa? Is it kuo-toa and kuo-toan(s), kuo-toa and kuo-toa(s), or just kuo-toa, or what?

Much thanks.

Kuo-toans is used in the D&D books.  (At least the first one I checked anyway.  I wouldn't be surprised to see variants depending on the author/editor.)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2006, 11:56:19 AM »
Yeah, I've seen the spelling without the n used in some books too.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: