Author Topic: Mod Concept: From the Shattered Lands  (Read 4211 times)

Offline Aran

• Planewalker
Mod Concept: From the Shattered Lands
« on: February 26, 2006, 04:54:42 AM »
From the Shattered Lands proposes to add two new merchants to BG1, TUTU or otherwise - Notaku, a spell component merchant, and Kel, a purveyor of magical items. Although both are rather oddly willing to tell you of themselves, you suspect neither is giving you the real deal. Notaku will offer the party a number of quests which will originaly relate to hunting down various magical creatures and harvesting important body parts for use as spell components. However, there will also be a few related quests which don't focus as much on killing things, but do tie into a new and unforeseen problem plagueing the Sword Coast. I don't want to say too much here because, historically speaking, larger scale mods have a tendency not to turn out well. The quests will be fairly small to start, but we'll see where they go later on. Kel will provide an outlet for all your hard-earned wealth, offering magic items for sale. Both may be encountered in the Nashkel Fair, and both will be tied into a common storyline.

If you've ever played it, you might guess that the idea is to import these NPCs to BG1 from Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, another 2nd ed AD&D CRPG, along with a number of associated magical items. Obviously, their dialogues will change appropriately, but I will leave it to the player to wonder about, among other things, what the frell these folks are doing visiting Faerun from a world that is notoriously difficult to get to (or leave). It won't be a complete mystery, as there will be some related hints dropped, but you're extremely unlikely to figure it out to your complete satisfaction unless you're either an expert on the Dark Sun setting or it really matters little to you - or you feel that the in-game experience is more important than your metagaming knowledge of the origins of these characters, and you can thus comfortably ignore the mystery of their existence.

The items I plan on introducing as part of Kel's stock include:
 - Balkazar's Staff, Quarterstaff of Slow +1
 - Dark Flame, Flaming Bastard Sword +2
 - Draketooth, Scimitar of Strength +1
 - Phrain's Bow, Vitriolic Longbow +1
 - Drake Hide, Hide Armor of Cold Resistance +2
 - Shimmer Armor, Studded Leather Armor of Protection from Missiles +2
 - Drake Shield, Medium Shield of Fire Resistance +1
 - Chameleon Gloves, Gloves of Blindness
 - Serpent Boots, Boots of Displacement
 - Silver Amulet, Amulet of Biofeedback

The items I plan on introducing as awarded by Notaku include:
 - Chatchka of Flame, Returning Flaming Chatchka +1
 - Gythka +2
 - Silk Armor, Protective Cloth +3
 - Tanylev's Armor, Splint Mail +3
 - Helm of Contemplation, Helmet of Gaze Reflection
 - Storm Ring, Ring of Ice Storm

In case you're wondering, a chatchka is a three-pronged crystalline throwing weapon which treturns to its wielder on a missed throw. For the purposes of BG1, I'll simply implement this as a general Returning ability. I will include it under the Dart proficiency. Similarly, a gythka is a sort of throwable double polearm, and will be included under the Spear proficiency.

Items should all on par with what you procure through the course of the game. I will take special care that none of them become "must-have" or overpowered, and will attempt to make them truly interesting rather than overly strong, but tastes tend to differ so I can't guarantee that everyone will like the way I've balanced them.

I have several reasons for undertaking this project. Among them are the following:
 - Add to the game a number of weapons to strengthen those profienciy choices which, at least in my games, tend not to be used particularly. Among those I feel are weaker are the Bastard Sword, the Scimitar, and the Spear - so there you go.
 - Add to the mix also a number of items which I feel are cool and would add to the gameplay experience.
 - Give the player something to do with all the bloody money they accumulate during the course of the game. Seriously - it's possible to earn over 500k in a single playthrough (after Shadow Armor, Robes of the Archmagi et all) and have nothing to spend it on. Most of the items here that are bought with gold will be priced very highly, and so will hopefully force the player to make some decisions about what they really want to supplement their party with and what's simply a waste of money.
 - Allow some opportunity for players who wish to do so to challenge themselves tactically by including some truly fearsome beasties through Notaku's quests. Note that said beasties will all be located in remote regions of non-core areas which can be avoided without too much trouble - so you can ignore them and go on with your lives if you feel that the CHARNAME of this particular playthrough wouldn't want to deal with them.
 - Create an intriguing, immersive storyline which adds a little mystery and (hopefully) more than a little enjoyment to the Baldur's Gate gaming experience.
 - Hopefully, create a couple of NPCs that will make the player think "Hey, this guy is cool. He's really starting to grow on me. I wish I knew more about him."

28/02/06: The concept has been expanded somewhat, and a small number of items have been cut from the list.

03/03/06: The items are coming along well. I will likely provide a few samples of item descriptions within this thread soon. I've also decided to move a couple of these from Kel's stock into Notaku's rewards.

25/03/06: A number of item descriptions have been posted. Kel, along with his items and individual (not linked) quests, nears completion. You may notice that the idea for implementing Silk Armor has been changed somewhat, as well.

I'm wondering if anyone would be willing to draw some BAMs for this project. Currently, all of these items are reusing graphics from Baldur's Gate - in many cases, these aren't very appropriate for the appearance of the item in question, but are unfortunately the best fit I currently have available. Alternatively, I would also be very much interested if anyone knows a means by which the inventory graphics from DS:SL can be extracted. Those interested should contact me by PM.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 05:59:14 PM by Aran »

Offline AnnabelleRose

• The chain smoking modder-wannabe
  • Planewalker
  • Not Dead
Re: Mod Concept: From the Shattered Lands
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 05:57:27 PM »
I'm looking forward to seeing this completed.

Keep us up to date on the progress.
"A good pipe and tobacco will make you a patient philosopher or a philistine depending on how you are bent." - Ted's Pipe Shop

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 07:04:47 PM »
I'm a bit baffled by the progress report dates. 
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2006, 08:13:22 PM »
That is actually the way that the US Military lists dates.  Not as unusual a date format as you may think.
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2006, 08:18:54 PM »
They use different numbering for the months?

Offline Aran

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2006, 09:00:07 PM »
They use different numbering for the months?

They have horrible editors and make many typos. :P

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 10:03:50 PM »
When I looked at it, the only thing I noticed was that the format seemed to be day/month/year instead of month/day/year.
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline Aran

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 10:47:36 PM »
When I looked at it, the only thing I noticed was that the format seemed to be day/month/year instead of month/day/year.

I posted the update from the future - three months from the time the message appeared, in fact. You notice nothing now, of course, because the space/time continuum could not withstand the changes I had made and automatically corrected itself.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2006, 07:13:21 AM »
Month/day/year is horrible and American anyway. Real people use day/month/year.

Offline the bigg

• The Avatar of Fighter / Thieves
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2006, 07:15:28 AM »
Unix time is the way  :)

(= number of seconds that have passed since midnight of 1st January 1970).
Author or Co-Author: WeiDU (http://j.mp/bLtjOn) - Widescreen (http://j.mp/aKAiqG) - Generalized Biffing (http://j.mp/aVgw3U) - Refinements (http://j.mp/bLHoCc) - TB#Tweaks (http://j.mp/ba02Eg) - IWD2Tweaks (http://j.mp/98OFYY) - TB#Characters (http://j.mp/ak8J55) - Traify Tool (http://j.mp/g1Ry9A) - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics (http://j.mp/9UeIwB) - Nalia Mod (http://j.mp/dng9l0) - Nvidia Fix (http://j.mp/aRWjjg)
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types (http://j.mp/hVzzXG) - Stutter Investigator (http://j.mp/gdtBn8)

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git (http://j.mp/aBZFrq).

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2006, 11:20:49 AM »
Month/day/year is horrible and American anyway. Real people use day/month/year.
I agree that day/month/year is more logical.  The reason for my original post, however, is that the months shown were May and June.

Offline Aran

• Planewalker
Update: Item Descriptions
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2006, 04:10:38 PM »
All of the following descriptions assume BG1TuTu without Ashes of Embers is installed.

Bastard Sword +2: "Dark Flame"
This blade, forged from an unknown refractive alloy that is deepest black in shade, is nonetheless lit from within with a light of a deep violet hue. Recently discovered in the ruined mountain fortress of the Mind's Eye, a school of dark magics that operated over a millenium in the past, the weapon has no known association with said group - the soundest theories on its nature, in fact, claim that its existence predates even that ancient organization, though its origin and composition remain a complete mystery.

Dark Flame burns with a battle fury, and you can feel warmth emanating from the dark gem set into its pommel. It is a heavy weapon outside of combat, far more so than others of its kind; as soon as a creature displays hostile intent towards you, however, you feel it grow light in your hand and easy to swing. The sword seems almost to jump at opportunities to cause injury and death, lashing out at opponents accurately and increasing your prowess in battle. You cannot help but feel unnerved at the ferocity that is barely contained within it, and suspect that wielding it, you are left more open to attacks than you would normally be.

STATISTICS:

Special: Provides a +1 penalty to wielder's AC
THAC0: +2 bonus
Damage: 2d4+2, +1d4 fire damage
Damage type: Slashing
Weight: 15
Speed Factor: 5
Proficiency Type: Bastard Sword
Type: 1-handed
Requires: 15 Strength
Not Usable By:
Druid
Cleric
Mage
Thief
Monk
Beastmaster

Studded Leather Armor +2: "Shimmering Form"
Covered in runes of a protective nature, this suit of enchanted armor erects a shimmering protective bearer around its wearer when worn. Missiles fired at this field meet a barrier of elastic air, becoming sluggish in their movement and thus less effective -  and are often repelled altogether, bouncing away from the armor's user.

STATISTICS:

Special: Increases wearer's resistance to missile damage by 20%
Armor Class: 5, 3 vs. Missile Weapons
Weight: 10
Requires: 6 Strength
Not Usable By:
Mage
Kensai
Monk
Avenger
Shapeshifter

Medium Shield +1: "Drake Shield"
This dense shield has been painstakingly crafted from the hide of a drake, a rare animalistic dragon-like beast that apparently inhabits Kel's homeland. Only the hide of an ancient and powerful fire drake is strong enough to be cured and shaped properly into a shield of this type, the bearer of which benefits from a portion of the innate immunity to fire all such creatures share.

STATISTICS:

Special: Increases bearer's resistance to fire damage by 20%
Armor Class Bonus: 2
Weight: 8
Requires: 12 Strength
Not Usable By:
Bard
Druid
Mage
Thief
Monk
Kensai

Boots of Displacement: "Serpent Boots"
These boots are composed of a soft, silvery fabric that seems to bend the light around it in unusual ways. When worn, they mimic the power of misdirection employed by the teleporting displacer beast, projecting an image of the wearer 10 ft. outwards in a random direction. This has the effect of making the wearer difficult to locate and strike effectively, providing protection that is useful in combat.

STATISTICS:

Special: Provides a -1 bonus to wearer's AC
Not Usable By: Wizard Slayer

Amulet of Biofeedback: "Metal Body"
An amulet of biofeedback is an oft sought out item for the protection it grants to its wearer. Such items are imbued with power by psioniscists, wielders of focused mental energies similar in some ways to magic. When used, this amulet draws upon the strength of will of its wearer and expands their awareness of their physical body. This allows one, for example, to force blood to rush towards the site of an incoming weapon impact, cushioning the blow, or to allow it to clot more quickly near a bleeding cut.

Special: Increases the wearer's resistance to physical damage by 10%.
Requires: 13 Wisdom
Not Usable By: Wizard Slayer

Chatchka +1: "Crystal Fury"
The chatchka is a throwing wedge whose precise construction depends on the material used to make it. This particular example is composed of an opaque crystalline material that almost has the appearance of cloudy, dark blue glass. It has a central hole, from which three equidistant leaf-shaped blades protrude. Though you have no idea how it was made, it is obvious that this weapon was lovingly crafted; it is beautiful and pleasing to the eye, and your attention is drawn especially to the jagged, almost flame-like edges around the outside of the blades.

This weapon has been enchanted, and is thus more powerful than others of its type. Though chatchka normally return to their wielders only on a missed throw, this one magically returns to its wielder's hand immediately after an attack, successful or otherwise. Additionally, it is more accurate and deadly in combat, and burns with elemental fire.

STATISTICS

THAC0: +1 bonus
Damage: 1d6+3, +1d6 fire damage
Damage Type: Missile (Piercing)
Weight: 1
Speed Factor: 3
Rate of Fire: 2
Proficiency Type: Dart
Type: 1-handed
Not usable by:
Cleric

Gythka +2
The gythka is a polearm with a three-bladed head at each end. It can be wielded as a thrusting weapon or a throwing weapon, and can be set against a charge as well. As the gythka is a double weapon, even an unproficient wielder can make use of its unusual design to strike more often in a combat round - unfortunately, using it this way makes the attacks of a wielder who does not study the use of the gythka specifcally less accurate. This particular weapon has had its blades crafted from the bones of an unknown creature, and has also been enchanted to be more accurate and deadly in combat.

STATISTICS

Special: +1/2 attack per round in melee
Range: 20 yards when thrown
Damage: 2d4+2
Damage Type: Piercing
Weight: 12
Speed Factor: 5
Rate of Fire: 3/2 when thrown
Proficiency Type: Spear
Type: 2-handed
Requires: 13 Strength
Not Usable By:
Cleric
Mage
Thief
Monk
Beastmaster

Silk Armor +3
This protective suit of armor has been woven from threads of silk and enhanced through psionic power. Notaku informs you that this silk comes from the glands of a dark spider, an intelligent creature that lives secluded in groups beneath the surface of his homeland. The material is wondrously light and strong, providing protection as good as that of studded leather while restricting the wearer's movement no more than ordinary clothing. This is a wondrous gift indeed, and you cannot help but feel that it is, in fact, more than deserved for the services you have issued.

STATISTICS:

Special: Does not interfere with arcane spellcasting
Armor Class: 7
Weight: 3
Usable By: Everyone
« Last Edit: March 25, 2006, 06:00:16 PM by Aran »

Offline Western Paladin

• You're not fooling me, 'cause I can see, the way you shake and shiver.
  • Planewalker
  • Jeepers!
    • Gibberlings Three
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2006, 06:43:52 PM »
Sounds interesting, and your items look much more balanced than other item mods I've played (*cough* Sorcerer's Place *cough*). And it looks like you like the ol' fire damage as much as I do.  :)
"What was that? I couldn't hear you over the STREET JUSTICE!"
-- Stan Smith, American Dad!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: