Author Topic: Suggested Components: Included  (Read 14385 times)

Offline ElfBane

• Planewalker
Suggested Components: Included
« on: November 30, 2005, 02:57:20 AM »
 ???
I think meeting E in the FA is fine, but how is that unfinished business? I can't recall anything in the game saying or implying he would meet the party there. Jog my memory please.

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: Elminster in The Friendly Arm
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2005, 03:51:06 AM »
It is not really unfinished business but a bug. He was always meant to spawn there but did not because a variable is not being set correctly when moving from chapter 2 to 3 (or 3 to 4, whatever happens in the bandit camp).

-Echon

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2005, 05:15:58 AM »
Also, Unfinished Business doesn't necesserily have to stuff implied in game (e.g. Kalah and What He Was Promised) but stuff that the designers said they were gonna put in (Where Oh Where Is Boo?) and stuff that is partially coded in game but was never finished (Pieces of the Lanthorn).  So yeah, it doesn't actually have to be stuff that the game hints at.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2005, 09:08:25 AM »
Yeah, what they said.  :)
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2005, 09:27:09 AM »
Icelus,

hold true to the hat you're wearing!  ;D

Offline amazinggameguru

• Planewalker
Suggested Components: Included
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 04:18:54 PM »
There is an encounter with a flaming fist mercenary in one of the areas between Beregost and Nashkell.  His dialog indicates that he is not alone yet no other mercenaries appear if he attacks.  I think it would be nice to bring in a couple more mercenaries to make the dialog more applicable.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Restoration/Tweak idea
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 07:19:41 PM »
That's not a bad idea.  I always play goody-two-shoes and kiss that guy's ass, so I didn't know the evil-esque options resulted in a fight.  Will look into it, thanks.  :)

Offline amazinggameguru

• Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 07:36:47 PM »
Yeah, I usually provoke him and kill him.  You don't suffer any rep loss and he has plate mail which is pretty nice to have that early.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
"Mysterious Vials"
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 12:14:55 AM »
By the way, I have always considered the mysterious vial (and the related contaminated iron you can pick down in the Nashkel's mines) one of the biggest UB ever!  ;D

Have you guys found any piece of dialogue that hint to a solved quest related to those two items ?

Personally I would see it as inherently part of the Nashkel's quest you get from the Mayor (Berrun Ghastkill) meaning he should hint about fetching valid proofs that would explain what is happening there. What'd be better than the vial and a piece of contaminated ore to be examined by the local alchemist ?

The party might get a certain amount of XP for bringing one of the two proofs and more if they bring both.

I would actually believe that those two components should be mandatory in order to really complete the Mines' quest but that's just my opinion...  :P

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 07:19:10 PM »
This has been restored (thanks, devSin!) and will appear in v1.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Re: Unused dialogs
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2006, 10:52:28 PM »
By the way, I have always considered the mysterious vial (and the related contaminated iron you can pick down in the Nashkel's mines) one of the biggest UB ever!  ;D

Have you guys found any piece of dialogue that hint to a solved quest related to those two items ?

Personally I would see it as inherently part of the Nashkel's quest you get from the Mayor (Berrun Ghastkill) meaning he should hint about fetching valid proofs that would explain what is happening there. What'd be better than the vial and a piece of contaminated ore to be examined by the local alchemist ?

The party might get a certain amount of XP for bringing one of the two proofs and more if they bring both.

I would actually believe that those two components should be mandatory in order to really complete the Mines' quest but that's just my opinion...  :P

SimDing0 has a partially-finished quest involving the "mysterious vials" so hopefully it will appear in v1.

Offline Aran

• Planewalker
Albert and Rufie Redux
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2006, 09:01:22 AM »
Looking closely at ALBERT.dlg, I find he makes reference to giving the PC another of Rufie's 'chew things' (note the first is actually referred to as a 'chew toy') upon having the cuddly fella returned to him - however, this never occurs. Unless I'm mistaken, this would fall under the umbrella of Unfinished Business.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
Re: Albert and Rufie Redux
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2006, 06:54:25 PM »
It's actually a bug, addressed at this point by both Baldurdash and Dudleyville, IIRC.

In vanilla BG1, he handed over a horn coral gem. In TotSC, this exchange was broken.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2006, 07:58:04 PM »
I've got BG: The Original Saga with Baldurdash installed.  Albert mentions two items, MISC63 and MISC86, which are a chew toy and a bandit scalp, respectively.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2006, 08:13:52 PM »
It's from Baldurdash. I've always hated it. How, exactly, is Albert supposed to get more bandit scalps in hell?

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2006, 08:22:17 PM »
Well, I'm not saying it's the best solution, but what should the "reward" be replaced with?  Alfie does mention that the reward is another of Rufie's chew toys, unless that's added by Baldurdash, too.  (I don't think I have a non-Baldurdash dialog.tlk file, and I really don't want to reinstall BG1). 

I'm open to suggestions, as it'd be a simple fix.  If the suggestion includes a new item not currently in the game, however, it may mean someone will have to make a new bam. 

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2006, 01:35:19 AM »
Albert mentions that "we can get more where we're going." There aren't any truly suitable items, but the bandit scalp thing is pretty bad.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2006, 02:22:47 AM »
From the original chew toy's description:

You think you can detect a few metal fragments amidst the gore but it is hard to be sure.

Considering this part of the description, I'm not sure the fact that Alfie gives you a Horn Coral Gem in vanilla BG1 is a bug.  Since Alfie is giving you one of Ruffie's old chew toys, it makes sense that all that is left is the Horn Coral Gem.  Ruffie ate all the crap around it and the gem was all that was left.
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2006, 10:54:55 PM »
The only bug is that the reward breaks in TotSC.

I thought the horn coral gem was suitable enough, back when it worked.

I never actually thought the Baldurdash fixes for BG1 were significant enough to bother with, and I'm in the midst of my first game with Dudleyfix right now.

Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline Aran

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2006, 12:44:40 PM »
As far as I know the horn coral gem is *not* from Baldurdash, as I'm playing a Baldurdashed (well, pre-Baldurdashed via EasyTutu) game and did not encounter it.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2006, 01:03:32 PM »
No, the horn coral gem is not Baldurdash.  The bandit scalp is.

I'm not at home to check the description, but... is the horn coral gem supposed to be made from, well, coral?  What would coral be doing in the Nine Hells/Abyss (whichever)?

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2006, 03:58:07 PM »
Horn Coral, which is also called night coral, is a deep black coral, similar to angel's skin save for its solid color.  It is incredibly difficult to work with, and is used in jewelry as a polished twig or branch of material, or is cut cabochon.

I'm not sure why Rufie would have something created from the ocean.  Unless I'm just way off about what "angel's skin" is.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2006, 05:05:11 PM »
Fair enough, but you have a lot of other gems and whatnot to choose from, if you still wanted to go that route.  It'd be easier than making a new item with a new Bam.
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2006, 06:12:52 PM »
I would assume the bandit scalp is intended to signify that Rufie's been chewing on somebody's scalp or something, since he's, y'know, nasty. The only way it makes sense as a reward, of course, is if Albert is mocking you by giving it, because he's, y'know, nasty. Shrug.

Offline Salk

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2006, 11:49:27 PM »
In my opinion, it sounds fine to have a scalp as reward. Rufie might have got it after an unfortunate (for the bandit) encounter and found chewing on it to his liking. I'd say we can keep the scalp and make it the only item the party gets as recompensation. No need for gems or new items. My two cents... ;)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: