Author Topic: Stoned  (Read 61632 times)

Offline Jon

• I'm not important enough for a last name.
  • Planewalker
Re: Stoned
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2006, 06:19:30 PM »
Ah, but mushrooms could develop schizophrenia (more likely if it runs in the family, and in my case, it does) which is reason enough for me not to try it. And it can cause lots of paranoia and what not, which I'd rather stay away from, and the whole concept of being completely drugged out and not being able to "turn it off" at will bugs me.

I'm a nutjob when I'm sober, anyway.

Though none of that seems enough to make it illegal.
Anyone else have any ideas?
"Puppies do not cause cancer.  Puppies are more fun than weed.
I suggest everyone buy a puppy."

So sayeth the wise Icelus.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2006, 06:38:43 PM »
I think the essentially confusing thing about mood-altering drugs is that if you take them when you are depressed to cheer yourself up it makes everything worse when the effects wear off; and if you take them when you are feeling good (which is unnecessary when you think about it) afterwards you feel like crap, making the whole process purposeless. If they came in prescription doses there would be less of a problem, as eventually you could work out the dose that works -but considering how difficult it is for some people taking drugs for bi-polar disorder, depression etc to achieve this in order to function, it seems like a lot of trouble to go to for something termed "recreational".

I have always wondered why people start smoking - smoke smells bad, it gives you cancer, and nicotine withdrawal is an absolut bastard of a process. So umm, why start? What is the purpose of the activity? To make your breath smell bad and stain your teeth? It's not like it tastes good.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2006, 06:46:36 PM by Eral »
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Jon

• Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2006, 06:50:40 PM »
I agree with your little tidbit on cigarettes. I do think they taste good, though. But that certainly isn't enough to warrant all of the things you listed, among others.
And let's not forget how expensive it is.

Just so you know, I don't smoke cigarettes. I was just stating that they taste good.
One must make these kinds of clarifications when one lives in a place like Overland Park (though it won't be this way for much longer).

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2006, 06:55:31 PM »
Ah, but mushrooms could develop schizophrenia (more likely if it runs in the family, and in my case, it does) which is reason enough for me not to try it. And it can cause lots of paranoia and what not, which I'd rather stay away from, and the whole concept of being completely drugged out and not being able to "turn it off" at will bugs me.

I'm a nutjob when I'm sober, anyway.

Though none of that seems enough to make it illegal.
Anyone else have any ideas?
Taking hallucigens probably depends on your state of mind at teh time you take them. I wouldn't touch them now, I would probably have a bad trip.

Vicodin and Xanax I take are legit. I take them for "problems" I have.

My favorite is Sister M. I could lose myself in that. Good thing it's expensive, to make it's use sparingly and you don't run the chance of addiction.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2006, 07:01:36 PM »
@Icelus
  What does this message 'k' mean?
Well, first Mr. venom seemed to be saying that pot was wonderous and that everyone who hasn't tried it was akin to a dillhole.
Then he posted that it was "shit" and he wouldn't do it anymore.

Seemed confusing to me, so the "k" was shorthand for "alrighty, then."
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Jon

• Planewalker
« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2006, 07:12:36 PM »
Taking hallucigens probably depends on your state of mind at teh time you take them. I wouldn't touch them now, I would probably have a bad trip.
Same with me.

I've never even heard of Sister M.. ???

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2006, 07:15:13 PM »
morphine.

Offline Jon

• Planewalker
« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2006, 07:17:35 PM »
Oh. Right.
'Course.

Anyone ever try LSD?
I know far too many people who have dropped acid to even be in the same room as the stuff.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #58 on: January 10, 2006, 07:31:07 PM »
LSD will set your mind free.

Offline Jon

• Planewalker
« Reply #59 on: January 10, 2006, 07:35:13 PM »
So I've heard.

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2006, 11:31:03 PM »
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17754159%255E663,00.html

I realize this is off topic but I thought it was interesting. Who said, "Moderation in all things?" Oh right, Ghrey. :pirate

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #61 on: January 11, 2006, 02:02:36 AM »
Regullus, you have a positive penchant for papers that flirt with the gutter. The Herald Sun! Please!!
It's a great article - impressive pictures, (are we sure that is the journalist at 39? My, how very YOUNG she looks) but so many sad gaps. Do the same 'girls' go out drinking every night, 5 days a week? Do they all drink that much every night? Hmm, it's open to doubt. For starters, how do they afford it?
The article is a little unspecific about why the journalist is drinking such a large amount. "Keeping up with the 'girls'?" Is that all of them combined? We all know youth is much more resilient than umm, the more experienced members of the population. And are these girls a representative group or are they unusual? I may be biased by my experience as the daughter of a 73 year old alcoholic. If that article is true, he would have been dead 40 years ago. Along with all of his mates. None of whom have passed away from grog-related causes. I think that article is more about the character Nicholas Cage played in 'Leaving Los Vegas' than heavy drinkers.

Sorry. I hate the Herald Sun. To be fair, as much as I relished the shellacking "Super-Size Me" gave to MacDonald's, I would have found the results more compelling if he had eaten a Big Mac once a week. Or as many times as is statistically average. Nobody eats Maccas 3 times a day. Tainted data.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Da_venom

• Planewalker
  • No one escapes death
« Reply #62 on: January 11, 2006, 05:59:52 AM »
@Icelus
  What does this message 'k' mean?
Well, first Mr. venom seemed to be saying that pot was wonderous and that everyone who hasn't tried it was akin to a dillhole.
Then he posted that it was "shit" and he wouldn't do it anymore.

Seemed confusing to me, so the "k" was shorthand for "alrighty, then."

what I meant was
wtihout having used it don't judge
I have tried it was nice and such
but I won't use more, Don't want too be an addict.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #63 on: January 11, 2006, 07:01:21 AM »
That article actually originates from the Daily Mail, a British paper:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=372102&in_page_id=1770

It seems the Herald Sun re-worded parts and cut several chunks out (some pretty large), though.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Alarielle

• Disco Blob
  • Planewalker
« Reply #64 on: January 11, 2006, 07:16:38 AM »

I can't really be bothered to read the rest of this thread, so if this has been tackled already, please forgive me :)

anything that expensive and time consuming should really just be avoided

And thirdly, it cures a lot of diseases

Lu, it cures absolutely nothing :)  Although some studies have shown cannabis to be effective as pain relief, there's no evidence to suggest that it actually has healing properties.  Moreover, cannabis has been proven to increase the chances of developing throat and tongues cancers exponentially, which I think is a much more important point to make! :)
And before anyone says "but it's better for you than tobacco", as far as tar content goes, one joint is the equivalent of smoking 40 cigarrettes.
'Can I swashbuckle through your drawers?' - Grim Squeaker

Alarielle: There's a good kind of dirty?
Andyr: It's the 'cool, kinky' dirty as opposed to the 'take a bath you fucking messy fuck' dirty :)

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #65 on: January 11, 2006, 08:00:43 AM »
Regullus, you have a positive penchant for papers that flirt with the gutter. It's a great article - impressive pictures, (are we sure that is the journalist at 39? My, how very YOUNG she looks) but so many sad gaps.

I read Fark daily. I couldn't agree with you more and the thought of Supersize Me came to mind as did the attendent flaws as I read the article. But I loved the before and after pics.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2006, 08:11:35 AM by Regullus »

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #66 on: January 11, 2006, 08:10:25 AM »
http://www.heraldsun.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,5478,17754159%255E663,00.html

I realize this is off topic but I thought it was interesting. Who said, "Moderation in all things?" Oh right, Ghrey. :pirate
am i going to die??

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2006, 08:21:12 AM »
The problem with weed is it has a real obvious smell to it, it's a dead give away. You get that smell on you and your clothes.

I can tell what you've been smoking.

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #68 on: January 11, 2006, 08:25:11 AM »
Tobacco is fairly pungent too. Also, I'll just mention here, people tend to smoke a lot more cigarettes than marijuana. I dunno if they're in similar cancerous proportions, but still
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #69 on: January 11, 2006, 08:27:21 AM »
Cigarettes suck. I can't stand the smell. I had to endure that when I used to work at the bar/club years ago.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #70 on: January 11, 2006, 11:06:21 AM »
am i going to die??

Well, yes, eventually. Not necessarily from drinking though.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
« Reply #71 on: January 11, 2006, 11:08:33 AM »
@Alarielle
   Some people say it cures brains, sometimes. I'm trying to imagine the world we would be living in, had there been no '60s, hmm... Not that I lived in one before 1976 though

Offline Joe

• Planewalker
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2006, 11:38:26 AM »
Sorry. I hate the Herald Sun. To be fair, as much as I relished the shellacking "Super-Size Me" gave to MacDonald's, I would have found the results more compelling if he had eaten a Big Mac once a week. Or as many times as is statistically average. Nobody eats Maccas 3 times a day. Tainted data.

"Super-Size Me" is one of the biggest bullshit movies in cinema history along with Joel Schumer's Batman films and Michael Moore's films. If anyone had to see that movie to see that eating fast food for every meal would be unhealthy, well then those people are stupid motherfuckers. I'm sorry, they have to be.

And as you alluded to, Eral, few people, if any, eat at McDonald's or any other fast food establishment for every single meal.

And now McDonald's has sheepishly removed their "Super-Size" option in an attempt to appease the nanny-staters.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2006, 11:44:58 AM »
Super-size actually varied from country to country; for example, the British super-size was the equivalent of the American large :).
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Da_venom

• Planewalker
  • No one escapes death
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2006, 12:22:01 PM »
lol
a small one in america is a big one in europe :)