Author Topic: Stoned  (Read 61654 times)

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
  • War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength
    • Chosen of Mystra
Re: Stoned
« Reply #125 on: January 12, 2006, 07:39:31 AM »
I never understood the continuation of taking drugs. Sure it's fun, cool and new when you're in high school but as you get older, what's the point? Are you trying to escape reality? If so that's a sad life you have there.

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
« Reply #126 on: January 12, 2006, 07:54:48 AM »
You are not the only person I have respectfully disagreed with in the thread.
  Drew, it's not clear if 'you' means me, ie Lu (sorry if it means Nightmare):
Read through and you will see that I have repeatedly disagreed with both John and Lezz [...] I'm sorry if this offends you
  Strange that I recently mentioned both John and Lezz as well, is it not?
  And no, it doesn't offend me (sorry once again, Nightmare, if it was addressed to you)

Btw, here's smth I can add to Nightmare's, IIRC (though girlish memory isn't smth to rely on, sure enough) Originally, campaign against marijuana was started in the '30s by companies that produced paper. The possibility of using cheap cannabis as the source for paper misliked them somehow, and their bosses had relatives/inlaws in the government, and they even started using the foreign word 'marijuana', to let people know how anti-American the stuff was

@Melkor
   And 2 + 2 is smth, right?

PS. We cool, guys/girls?

EDITED> was 2 + 2 = 4
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 08:08:03 AM by Lu »

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
« Reply #127 on: January 12, 2006, 09:50:59 AM »
  The Dalai Lama was on TV a couple months ago, interviewed by Charlie Rose. Among other things His Holiness said, was smth kinda "I'm a man, first of all, and only secondly I'm a Buddhist monk"
  A while later I talked to an acquaintance who's a Greek Orthodox priest. To hold onto smth that I thought could be of interest to the padre, I mentioned the interview. The reply was kinda “Damn you, sinner, and damn your Buddhist pagans (not that I’m a Buddhist, btw - not that Lu’s a Buddhist, I mean), and damn them all, sinners and disbelievers, and you all will burn in Gehenna, unless I take care of your lost souls, blah blah blah”   
   I wonder what I’m talking about, this is definitely off-topic

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #128 on: January 12, 2006, 09:54:45 AM »
No, but her lectureres probably are
   Veloxyll, please, have I ever mentioned my lectureres? Speaking about smth, or in this case someone you have
 not the slightest idea who they are, or even if they exist, isn't such a good idea, OK?

I think he meant Alarielle's lecturers, who I assume are all doctors.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #129 on: January 12, 2006, 10:07:38 AM »
@Lu:  I made my initial post more clear.  Sorry. Also, none of the conditions you referred to as curable by marijuana actually are.  Marijuana is also known to exacerbate stupidity, not eliminate it.  Note that this doesn't mean I think marijuana shouldn't be legal.  I just think trying to assert easily disprovable things like this do nothing but diminish the credibility of those arguing for a more sane national drug policy.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 10:30:15 AM by Drew »
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline Alarielle

• Disco Blob
  • Planewalker
« Reply #130 on: January 12, 2006, 10:14:31 AM »

And Bob Marley?  I really don't care about him, but yeah, he really should have been thinking more about sun protection factors than cannabis
   I don't think I understand the joke. But why do you bring up his name, if you don't care?

Bob Marley died of a secondary tumour in his brain, having spread from the skin cancer he developed.  Hence sunblock :)

OK, I've lately learned that it's wiser to ignore new questions until I have mine answered, but I'll be silly, once again. Here are some diseases that can be cured, if cannabis is used properly
   hypertonia
   asthma
   what do they call the opposite of hypertonia, when blood pressure is always too low?

Hypertonia is a state where muscle tone is too tight, essentially.  The opposite being hypotonia, which presents as a 'floppiness'.  Neither have anything to do with blood pressure.  That's hyper- and hypotension. :)

Again, cannabis acting as a muscle relaxant can alleviate the symptom of hypertonia, but not the cause (i.e. probable damage to the central nervous system).

So I'm agreeing with it's ability to help manage symptoms, but not the claim that it actively cures.  There is a difference.
'Can I swashbuckle through your drawers?' - Grim Squeaker

Alarielle: There's a good kind of dirty?
Andyr: It's the 'cool, kinky' dirty as opposed to the 'take a bath you fucking messy fuck' dirty :)

Offline Lu

• Planewalker
« Reply #131 on: January 12, 2006, 11:02:50 AM »
So I'm agreeing with it's ability to help manage symptoms, but not the claim that it actively cures. There is a difference
   OK, what I call diseases is actually symptoms. So what? Should it be illegal, to help manage symptoms? It’s a question (not that it’s very important to me though, don’t have problems with health - knock the wood)

@Grim Squeaker
  Somehow I still think that it was about my lecturers

@Drew
  OK, sir,  Mr. Andrew James Gibson, you are getting sillier when high, I’m getting smarter. Perhaps we both should start smoking stuff before posting, kinda getting closer intellectually
 Yours
   Alexandra Lu Zaremba (not that I mean any offense, just in case, and besides these full names look funny here)

Offline Alarielle

• Disco Blob
  • Planewalker
« Reply #132 on: January 12, 2006, 11:13:12 AM »
So I'm agreeing with it's ability to help manage symptoms, but not the claim that it actively cures. There is a difference
   OK, what I call diseases is actually symptoms. So what? Should it be illegal, to help manage symptoms? It’s a question (not that it’s very important to me though, don’t have problems with health - knock the wood)

I don't recall ever having mentioned the legality of the drug.  I really don't have an opinion either way, because I have no interest in ever taking it. :)

Andyr: It's the 'cool, kinky' dirty as opposed to the 'take a bath you fucking messy fuck' dirty :)

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #133 on: January 12, 2006, 04:01:32 PM »
Interesting. I've never heard any of my doctors even mention cannabis for a treatment for my Asthma. If it's a muscle relaxant, then maybe it can clear up an attack. But good luck convincing an Asthmatic to inhale smoke when their having an attack.

And yeah, it alleviates symptoms, not cures. Prolly the reason for all the misunderstandings.
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline Jon

• I'm not important enough for a last name.
  • Planewalker
« Reply #134 on: January 12, 2006, 04:16:25 PM »
There are (were?) a lot of things that I wanted to say, but by the time I got done reading everything I probably forgot them. Here goes.

Velly, I know three asmetics who smoke marijuana. They tell me that since they started smoking, their asthma has been much less of a problem.
Make of it what you will.

Drew, my name is Jon(athan), not John. For some reason the H always gets to me. Please, be more careful next time :)

She's being taught over this and the next 4 years to be a doctor. If they teach her stuff that's wrong she'll misdiagnose conditions and prescribe the wrong medication or other course of treatment. It's utterly ridiculous to give her false information has she would just end up killing people. The government and various media sources might lie or coverup information but a university training a doctor wouldn't.

Telling one lie doesn't mean telling a hundred. Saying "marijuana is bad, it should stay illegal, and it has no use medically" does not at all mean that those young aspiriring medical students are one day going to misdiagnose a patient when they come in for aches and pains, or anything at all.

I never understood the continuation of taking drugs. Sure it's fun, cool and new when you're in high school but as you get older, what's the point? Are you trying to escape reality? If so that's a sad life you have there.

I think I said in here some where but people really need to stop viewing drugs this way. At the least, stop viewing cannabis this way. People not only do it because it's trendy, but they could also do it for pure enjoyment, just the same as people read books, write stories, play video games, and play fetch with their dog.

There was more that I wanted to say but the Topic Summary only goes so far.

Edited to fix a problem with quotes, and to say that I think that's all I had in mind to say.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 04:22:05 PM by Jon »
"Puppies do not cause cancer.  Puppies are more fun than weed.
I suggest everyone buy a puppy."

So sayeth the wise Icelus.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2006, 04:37:53 PM »
I sincerely hope that no one actually thinks marijuana isn't bad for you. :-\
Poor baby. Couldn't find a fight anywhere else so you had to come here, huh. -Cybersquirt

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2006, 04:44:19 PM »
Unfortunately, pretty much everything is bad for you to some degree, even the air you breathe.  Fortunately, the degree is usually extremely low :).
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Joe

• Planewalker
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2006, 04:51:03 PM »
I think smoking marijuana can hardly be compared to reading, writing, and playing video games.

I would compare it to drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes. I think it is sad that some people view the use of those things as a recreational activity in and of itself.

Offline Alarielle

• Disco Blob
  • Planewalker
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2006, 05:11:44 PM »
Quote from: Grim Squeaker on Today at 07:27:49
She's being taught over this and the next 4 years to be a doctor. If they teach her stuff that's wrong she'll misdiagnose conditions and prescribe the wrong medication or other course of treatment. It's utterly ridiculous to give her false information has she would just end up killing people. The government and various media sources might lie or coverup information but a university training a doctor wouldn't.

Telling one lie doesn't mean telling a hundred. Saying "marijuana is bad, it should stay illegal, and it has no use medically" does not at all mean that those young aspiriring medical students are one day going to misdiagnose a patient when they come in for aches and pains, or anything at all.

I didn't say anyone said it was bad.  Nor did I say it had no medical use.  I said it cures nothing.  Two very different things.  All I get are the facts, good and bad and since everyone was evangelising so much about it, I thought I'd thrown in a few of the bad :)
As for legality?  See my statement above.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2006, 05:15:33 PM »

I didn't say anyone said it was bad.  Nor did I say it had no medical use.  I said it cures nothing.  Two very different things.  All I get are the facts, good and bad and since everyone was evangelising so much about it, I thought I'd thrown in a few of the bad :)

So... what are you trying to say??!  Are you saying that everyone who uses pot is a poophead and that maryjawanna is o-so-bad?  Or are you saying that "a toke a day keeps the doctor away"?   STOP TRYING TO CONFUSE ME WITH FACTS, LOGIC, AND RATIONALE.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2006, 05:21:35 PM »
I think smoking marijuana can hardly be compared to reading, writing, and playing video games.

Playing too many computer games - or just too much computer use in general - can be very bad for you indeed.  Repetitive Strain Injury (e.g. trigger finger and tendonitis) is probably the most obvious danger, but it can also cause lower back pain, damage to your upper back and neck, irritation and eventual damage to your eyes, etc.

A lot of people just think such things are just excuses for their parents/teachers/boss to whine and rant at them, but unfortunately they're actually real (first hand experience here), and these people do have a point ;).
« Last Edit: January 12, 2006, 05:25:51 PM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Joe

• Planewalker
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2006, 05:57:57 PM »
Playing too many computer games - or just too much computer use in general - can be very bad for you indeed.  Repetitive Strain Injury (e.g. trigger finger and tendonitis) is probably the most obvious danger, but it can also cause lower back pain, damage to your upper back and neck, irritation and eventual damage to your eyes, etc.

A lot of people just think such things are just excuses for their parents/teachers/boss to whine and rant at them, but unfortunately they're actually real (first hand experience here), and these people do have a point ;).

I don't recall making a distinction based on negative affects.

Offline Alarielle

• Disco Blob
  • Planewalker
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2006, 06:04:07 PM »

So... what are you trying to say??!  Are you saying that everyone who uses pot is a poophead and that maryjawanna is o-so-bad?  Or are you saying that "a toke a day keeps the doctor away"?   STOP TRYING TO CONFUSE ME WITH FACTS, LOGIC, AND RATIONALE.

Yes.  :)

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2006, 07:00:05 PM »
Say yes to drugs. Free your mind, free your body.  :D
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Da_venom

• Planewalker
  • No one escapes death
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2006, 07:47:47 PM »
lol, too some certain extend i agree ;)

anyway most people get addicted too much and then the shit happends..

the feeling is just very nice when your stressed or having much to do... then a time in space can be very nice..

It rejuvinates your mind for a while so u can work more..
and it's also very good if you have insomnia like me after one joint u get tired as hell and can sleep nicely ;)

Offline Jon

• I'm not important enough for a last name.
  • Planewalker
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2006, 10:25:29 PM »
And, of course, it is also a quality recreational activity for the happy, whole-hearted folks of the world, as well.
I'm sure you mean't to include that, but it slipped your mind - right, Venom? ;)

Say yes to drugs. Free your mind, free your body. :D

There are many other ways of freeing your mind and body :)
"Puppies do not cause cancer.  Puppies are more fun than weed.
I suggest everyone buy a puppy."

So sayeth the wise Icelus.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #146 on: January 13, 2006, 02:32:05 AM »

You said that "smoking marijuana can hardly be compared to reading, writing, and playing video games." I was pointing out that, in terms of negative effects, yes these things can be compared.

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #147 on: January 13, 2006, 02:46:00 AM »

You said that "smoking marijuana can hardly be compared to reading, writing, and playing video games." I was pointing out that, in terms of negative effects, yes these things can be compared.
Not very well.  Cancer and tendonitis are hardly equivalent.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #148 on: January 13, 2006, 02:56:56 AM »
Permanent damage to your eyesight or lower back is far worse than clinical depression (not to mention these things could lead to clinical depression anyway).

Offline Drew

• Kind of a prick
  • Planewalker
« Reply #149 on: January 13, 2006, 03:08:57 AM »
Still not worse than terminal cancer.  Try again.