Author Topic: Didn't make sense in original BG2 SOA  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Diana

• Neophyte
  • Planewalker
Didn't make sense in original BG2 SOA
« on: January 04, 2006, 08:00:05 PM »
Assume we've got an evil CHARNAME.  He decides to accept the offer of the Talos Temple to join up after the Beholder quest.  One of the quests later on is to retrieve the Lathlander's Dawn Ring from a thief who passed it on to some guy on top of the Copper Coronet.

What doesn't make sense is this:  If you're working for Talos whole heartedly, how come you can't recite the 'pledge of allegiance' to Talos when asked to do so by the fence so he'll turn over the ring without a fight?  I just think the original Bioware coding is stupid.  You've joined the Temple so there is no reason why you can't give the fence what he wants so he turns over the ring peaceably.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
Re: Didn't make sense in original BG2 SOA
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 08:23:08 PM »
Not that I've ever actually played one, but I did read that if you are an evil cleric, the quest is to steal the ring, not retrieve it. Was that wrong then? If so, you're right. It makes no sense at all.

For that matter, to my mind, neither does asking a good cleric to assassinate someone, even if the target is evil (part of Lathander temple stronghold).
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2006, 03:13:54 AM »
Actually, I'm pretty sure that if you tell him you serve Talos and are telling the truth, the pledge is indeed succesful.  Though perhaps you need to actually have started the stronghold quests first? If it's not working properly, maybe it's a bug.  Or perhaps my memory's just playing up, and such a thing doesn't exist at all :).
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Diana

• Neophyte
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 07:28:47 AM »
I think I had the Talos stronghold and still the ingame dialog didn't permit CHARNAME to give the pledge so the fence would turn it over.

I just thought it would make a nice addition to QP if that is indeed a bug in the original game.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2006, 07:32:20 AM by Diana »

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 10:32:17 AM »
IIRC, the GABBER has to be a Priest of Talos. An evil cleric is not enough, and if another party member is talking, you won't be successful anyway.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: