Author Topic: Frequent crashing  (Read 3226 times)

Zedlic

Frequent crashing
« on: January 04, 2006, 06:25:03 PM »
First, thanks for BG Tutu, it's great. However it's frequently crashing for me.

My first crash was when assigning "wizard defensive" to anyone. Other profiles work fine, but as soon as I assign "wizard defensive" to anyone, the game crashes. So I just figured I'd not assign that to anyone and hoped for the best.
Well, the best didn't happen. Whenever I cast a spell during the encounter outside the entrance to The Friendly Arms Inn castle, the game crashes. When I don't use any spells, it's fine. Since he always uses spells I figured it wasn't a graphic card thing, but I tried lowering the resolution and turning off 3d acceleration of any kind, to no avail. I really don't have a clue, so any help would be appreciated.

My computer is: AMD XP 1900+, 1GB ram, GF4 Ti 4400. WinXP Pro with SP2.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: Frequent crashing
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2006, 06:44:50 PM »
Which spell does it happen with, or is it every spell? Sounds like your spells.bif file could be corrupted (perhaps your BG1 CDs are scratched).
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Zedlic

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2006, 07:00:38 PM »
The spell was Lardoch's Minor Drain, but I think it's not a corrupted spells.bif since I tried doing this in an un-tutued BG1, and everything went fine. Then I tried running bgtutu_restore and bgtutu again, now without running tutufix or any of the tutu tweaks. To my surprise, everything went fine. So I ran tutufix, but instead of asking me to install each module, it offered me to uninstall too, indicating that the bgtutu_restore didn't remove any of the tutufix modules.
So anyway, I selected "uninstall" for each module, and when I was done with that, tutufix seemed to reinstall all of them. And then, chrash ahoy.

So, I seem to have narrowed it down to something in tutufix or the tutu tweak pack. Hope that helps.

And thanks for the fast reply.

Offline seanas

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2006, 04:20:24 AM »
Whch version of Larloch's? the innate version you get because yr a bhaalspwan by any chance? if so, then it probably has the wrong level assigned for an innate spell. you could alsways try removing the Larloch's .spl file from yr override folder: it might fix the problem.
"those who like TDD are already busy giving install advice to newbies" - the bigg

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2006, 12:03:25 PM »
The spell was Lardoch's Minor Drain, but I think it's not a corrupted spells.bif since I tried doing this in an un-tutued BG1, and everything went fine. Then I tried running bgtutu_restore and bgtutu again, now without running tutufix or any of the tutu tweaks. To my surprise, everything went fine. So I ran tutufix, but instead of asking me to install each module, it offered me to uninstall too, indicating that the bgtutu_restore didn't remove any of the tutufix modules.
So anyway, I selected "uninstall" for each module, and when I was done with that, tutufix seemed to reinstall all of them. And then, chrash ahoy.

So, I seem to have narrowed it down to something in tutufix or the tutu tweak pack. Hope that helps.

And thanks for the fast reply.

The spell working in BG1 is possible even with a corrupted file, since if the one on your hard disc is damaged it can read it from the CD. But since in Tutu you use the BG2 CDs then any BG1 files corrupted on your installation cannot be checked on CD, so they can fail. Manually copying spells.bif from your BG1 CD to BG1 directory then re-running Tutu might fix it.

And yes, you need to uninstall any Tutu mods before running the restoration program.

If the problem is only happening with that one spell than using a fixed version of that .SPL file might work--but the fact that the game also crashes when you assign a script means other things might be broken (for example if spells.bif is corrupted on your install and the script's telling the wizard to cast Mage Armour or something, then that could cause the crash).
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Zedlic

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2006, 05:13:36 PM »
Hmm... but after I restore and install tutu again, without touching tutufix or tututweaks, everything works. Works as in playing in the BGII engine, fine and dandy. Using the BG2 CDs. Wouldn't that rule out any corrupted files and point blame to either a tutufix or a tututweak module?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2006, 05:50:34 PM »
What, after you restore and reconvert Tutu you don't get the crashes?

That's good. :) Tutufix and Tweaks are fairly stable, so it isn't likely they are causing troubles. If you install the Fixpack (which you really, really, really should do) and/or any components of the Tweak Pack (which are very useful) and it crashes, open up your WEIDU.LOG file and copy-paste the contents into a post. We'll see if we can figure out what it is.

Also, do you have TotSC/ToB?

And are you using the Dudleyville pack for BG1 (ideally no, it breaks some things in Tutu)?

Zedlic

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2006, 06:31:01 PM »
Yeah, this is the thing:

First, I installed the games (including ToSC and ToB), ran bg1_tutu.exe (saying no to keeping some rare sounds, and no to changing NPC classes to kits), then ran setup_tutufix.exe (saying Y to everything), and then Setup-tutu_tweaks.exe (saying Y to most, N to some). Then I ran the game, and it crashed when doing said things.

Then, I ran bg1tutu_restore.exe and bg1_tutu.exe right again. I did not touch tutufix or tutu-tweaks (don't know if they're uninstalled along with bgtutu or not). After that, everything worked fine, but I didn't have the tweaks I selected.

Then I tried running tutufix again, and it asked if I wanted to install, reinstall (indicating the fixes were not uninstalled when running tutu_restore), say yes, say no or quit. I chose to reinstall everything, and then ran the game. Hello crashes.

So now I'm running the game without the tweaks I selected, and perhaps without the fixes, I'm not sure. It's fine, but I'd still like to track down this bug.

And thanks.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2006, 06:43:37 PM »
Open up your WEIDU.LOG file in a text editor and paste the contents here; then we'll know what you have installed. You really, really do want to be using the Fixpack.

Zedlic

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2006, 06:58:47 PM »
// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // Component Name
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #0 // Adjust Evil joinable NPC reaction rolls
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #3 // Breakable Iron Nonmagical Shields, Helms, and Armor
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #37 // Remove Helmet Animations
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #43 // Weapon Animation Tweaks
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #46 // Icewind Dale Casting Graphics (Andyr)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #52 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #55 // Commoners Use Drab Colors
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #58 // Icon Improvements
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #61 // Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or  Leather Armor (Galactygon)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #83 // Add Bags of Holding to BG1
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #86 // Exotic Item Pack
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #89 // Reveal City Maps When Entering Area
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #92 // Add Map Notes
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #95 // Stores Sell Higher Stacks of Items
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #98 // Gems and Potions Require Identification
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #132 // Remove Baldur's Gate Experience Cap
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #141 // Universal Clubs
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #142 // English Only: Description Updates for Universal  Clubs Component
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #145 // Weapon Styles for All
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #148 // Druids Use Cleric Level and Spell Progression
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #151 // Allow Thieving and Stealth in Heavy Armor
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #152 // English Only: Alter Item Descriptions for 'Stealth and  Thieving Abilities in Heavy Armor' Component
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #155 // Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Heavy Armor
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #156 // English Only: Alter Item Descriptions for 'Allow Arcane  Spellcasting in Armor' Component
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #159 // Expanded Dual-Class Options
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #162 // Sellable Staffs, Clubs, and Slings (Icelus)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #166 // NWN Style
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #168 // For All Creatures in Game
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #173 // Wear Magic Rings and Armor (Weimer)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #174 // PnP-Style Protection Items
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #176 // Multi-Class Grand Mastery (Weimer)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #179 // True Grand Mastery (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #182 // Un-Nerfed THAC0 Table, Saving Throws, Grand-Mastery, and  Arcane, Divine Spell Progression (Blucher)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #185 // Shapeshifter Rebalancing
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #194 // Rebalanced Weapon Proficiencies
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #219 // 100% Learn Spells
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #225 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #228 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #231 // Unlimited Potion Stacking
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #234 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Core Bugfixes
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #1 // Organised Journal Entries
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #2 // Restored BG1 Loadscreens
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #3 // BG2 Ammo Stacks
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #4 // Totemic Druid Spirit Summons are Balanced
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #5 // BG1 Summoning Spells
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #8 // Hooded unarmoured avatars and hooded bards
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #10 // BG2 style world map [Requires new game to take effect]
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #11 // Remove Spells That Weren't In BG2
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #12 // Journal Entry Titles
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Core Bugfixes
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #1 // Organised Journal Entries
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #2 // Restored BG1 Loadscreens
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #3 // BG2 Ammo Stacks
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #4 // Totemic Druid Spirit Summons are Balanced
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #5 // BG1 Summoning Spells
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #8 // Hooded unarmoured avatars and hooded bards
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #10 // BG2 style world map [Requires new game to take effect]
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #11 // Remove Spells That Weren't In BG2
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #12 // Journal Entry Titles

However, the tweaks listed here are in fact not installed.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2006, 10:59:58 AM »
Rather, they are installed but you are just not seeing them because the files were deleted when you ran the restore program. I'd run the setup programs for Tutufix and Tutu Tweaks, choosing uninstall all components. Then reinstall them, Fixes first and Tweaks last.

Alternatively, remove all the lines below //~TP2_File~ #language_blah blah and then WeiDU will think the mods are not installed, meaning you can reinstall them (Fixpack first, Tweaks second).

Zedlic

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2006, 11:10:34 AM »
Ok, I deleted the lines you mentioned, and installed everymodule in tutufix again (besides the walking speed fix). Crashing againg when assigning "wizard defensive". I think this is obviously soem module in tutufix misbehaving, and I'm going to try to narrow it down with some kind of binary selection method.

Zedlic

« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2006, 11:44:22 AM »
A-ha! Culprit found!

Behold, it was: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #11 // Remove Spells That Weren't In BG2

I uninstalled everything, and then gradually added one module at a time, and when I came to this one everything came crashing down. Makes sense since the crashing was spell-related (assigning "wizard defensive", casting lardoch's minor drain), and the game was probably referencing a spell that had been removed at some point. But that's just speculating, I'm not the developer :) Anyway, now I have all tweaks and fixes besides this one installed, and everyting is working like sunshine. Thanks for the help, I appreciate it. If you need any more info from me about that bug just email me and I'll happily give it to you. For now I'll just leave that "fix" alone.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: January 06, 2006, 12:28:31 PM »
That sounds like a possibility (it's one of the components I don't use).

Offline underdog

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: January 06, 2006, 02:22:48 PM »
A-ha! Culprit found!

Behold, it was: ~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #11 // Remove Spells That Weren't In BG2

speaking of that component, There's a typo somewhere.
In the readme it says
'REMOVE SPELLS THAT WEREN'T IN BG1: This component makes unavailable the wizard and priest spells BG2 adds which weren't present in BG1, with the exceptions of Find Familiar and Nahal's Reckless Dweomer.'

so is removing spells that weren't in BG1 or BG2 ?

!lanimret siht edisni deppart ma I !pleH

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2006, 03:48:19 PM »
It removes the spells that weren't in BG1. The ReadMe is correct, it seems the tp2 is wrong.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: