Author Topic: A little more TuTu assistance...please  (Read 1563 times)

Offline BottomFeeder

• Planewalker
A little more TuTu assistance...please
« on: January 03, 2006, 01:58:46 AM »
I have had some problems running TuTu, so I recently reinstalled the game on a fresh install and started a new game.  The generally runs ok.  I made it to Chapter 2 and had the dream.  I have gotten the correct quests, I have been able to recruit NPCs, and people are named properly (as far as I can tell).  However, many of the item descriptions are jumbled.  For instance, I got what was supposed to be a +1 short sword, and when unidentified it described the item as Arbane's Sword, after it was identified it described itself as a +4 short sword.  I think the items work ok otherwise.  For instance, I purchased the bag for endless sling bullets (forgot the real name) in Nashkell.  It is entitled, "Morphed: Male Gnome Cleric Avatar," but it appears to work fine.  Finch has been using it without any problems (as far as I can tell).  Interestingly, the same jumbled descriptions are reflected in Shadowkeeper.  Is there anyway I can fix this short of re-installing and restarting the game.  This is my third restart, and I am getting somewhat frustrated. By the way, I have no doubt that my problems are operator induced. If it helps, here is my installation order:

1. BG1 TuTu v.4
2. BG1 TuTufix v.15 (both core and non-core)
3. Finch NPC v.2 (Pocket Plane)
4. Indira NPC v.7 (Pocket Plane)
5. BG1 NPC Project (Gibberlings Three)
6. The Grey Clan Episode I: In Candlelight (The Black Wyrm)
7. Secret of Bone Hill 200
8. Worldmap
9. TuTu Tweak Pack (Gibberlings Three)
10. LadeJarl's Tutu GUI v1.5 (Pocket Plane)

In addition, I made two items with DLCEP after starting the game and gave them to my PC.  I hope that didn't mess it up.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Galileel

Re: A little more TuTu assistance...please
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2006, 03:52:11 AM »
Something is wrong with your dialog.tlk I guess. Though I can't tell you which mod screwed it up.

Offline BottomFeeder

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2006, 11:42:09 AM »
I made a backup of the dialog.tlk prior to modding the game.  Should I try the backup?

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2006, 12:11:17 PM »
Hello -

I made a backup of the dialog.tlk prior to modding the game.  Should I try the backup?

No, then your mods will be broken.

You could try uninstalling mods one by one to see if the problem goes away.  If that doesn't help, a full reinstall with a brief testing phase after each mod installed should give you your culprit.
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline BottomFeeder

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2006, 02:48:56 PM »
Yuck.  I am not looking forward to a fourth restart, so I'll try to backing them out to find the culprit. If I find the culprit, what then?  Do I fix the culprit, reinstall the other mods, and resume the game, or do I need to start a new game?  If so, is there anyway to jumpstart the game so I don't have to do the beginning over?  I'm getting tired of the old Candlekeep to Friendly Arms Inn to Beregost to Nashkell run.

Offline Macready

• Planewalker
    • EasyTutu
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
Hello -

If I find the culprit, what then?  Do I fix the culprit, reinstall the other mods, and resume the game, or do I need to start a new game?  If so, is there anyway to jumpstart the game so I don't have to do the beginning over?  I'm getting tired of the old Candlekeep to Friendly Arms Inn to Beregost to Nashkell run.

If I find that a mod has crippled my installation (and ruining DIALOG.TLK counts, IMO), it gets banished to the recycle bin.  Depending on the mod, your save game may still work fine if you uninstall it.

If you have been having game stability problems, you might consider a reinstall with less mods installed.  From your list, I've personally played with 1, 2, 9 and 10 installed with no major problems.  I've also looked closely at 6, and it seems to have a very light footprint in terms of modifying game files.  Using those mods I mentioned, the only major unresolved bug I've found is that visiting Beregost sometimes corrupts your game for no apparent reason.  So: always save prior to visiting Beregost, and save again just after leaving (using a different slot).  Then, try reloading your post-Beregost save.  If it loads and you are able to re-enter Beregost, reload from your post-Beregost save and continue.  If there is a problem, reload from the pre-Beregost save and you should be able to try again.  Whatever the problem is, it's rare and hard to nail down, but careful save game practices allow you to circumvent it if it occurs.

Anyway,  I know you are not keen on reinstalling, but it's better to address problems now than much further into the game.  Less mods and a stable, fun game beats more mods and constant crashing / debugging / problems, no?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that the current implementation of the "max HP" component of Tutu-Tweaks seems buggy and is best skipped.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2006, 03:55:04 PM by Macready »
EasyTutu: Tutu installation made simple.

Offline BottomFeeder

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2006, 04:18:42 PM »
Thanks, I guess I'll try it again.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: