Author Topic: Beastfriend - planned druid kit  (Read 7320 times)

Yarpen_AVE

Beastfriend - planned druid kit
« on: December 29, 2005, 12:49:45 PM »
Hey I found one thing. Please look at the KITLIST.2da . And find BEAST MASTER (or something like that) title for druid kit :D In game he is a Avenger. Description of Avenger say: he is enemy of beasts. But he can polymorph into Vywern! Or Sword Spider! Hey! It's name/dexription changed name. Same like a Feralan - Archer (In 2da's Archer is called Feralan...) What do you think about that?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: New found
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2005, 09:01:00 AM »
We know about the Feralan being a cut kit, and one of the components adds a Feralan kit to the mod.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Yarpen_AVE

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2005, 11:29:18 AM »
Yes I know uncle Andy, but I'm now talking about loss kit or changed description -

16   TOTEMIC_DRUID  25198 25171 25224 CLABDR02  44           0x08000000   11
17   SHAPESHIFTER   25199 25173 25225 CLABDR03  45           0x10000000   11
18   BEAST_FRIEND   25200 25174 25227 CLABDR04  46           0x20000000   11

BEAST FRIEND!

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2005, 01:21:00 PM »
Oh, yeah, I understand now. :) So it looks like, in the same way the Archer is labelled by that file as the cut kit Feralan, the Avenger is labelled as Beast Friend.

So perhaps there was a cut "Beast Friend" kit... on the other hand, perhaps it was identical to the Avenger and they just changed the name to avoid confusion with the Beast Master ranger kit.

Anyone know if there's pnp druid kits called Beast Friend or Avenger?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

yarpen_AVE

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2006, 09:10:35 AM »
No. But I suggest only change name and description. The Wounded Lion's description of Darkfriend is so good for that kit.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2006, 11:15:51 AM »
Both kits are from the Complete Druid's Handbook:

Avenger

The Avenger druid has seen Nature suffer great wrongs. Take the case of the druid Torrens.  He had hoped to live as a Guardian or Village Druid. However, during his training, forces defiled the area under his protection and slew his mentor. Maybe he feels he was too gentle, too weak. It doesn’t matter. He won’t let it happen again.

Torrens the Avenger no longer holds the defenslve. Instead, he roams the world seeking wrongs to right and foes to fight. And whether his opponent is a brutal king cutting down an ancient forest to build a fleet of war galleys, or an evil vampire menacing a peaceful halfling village, the Avenger acts to stop him. Permanently.

Role: This druid is a grim, strong, and silent warrior of the wilds. Torrens has little time for anything but his mission, although he’s as patient as a spider when it serves his
plans. A loner, he avoids love or friendship, fearing either could compromise his mission; if he associates with a party of adventurers, he treats them as allies, but not as friends.

The Avenger rarely speaks more than absolutely necessary to humans and most demihumans (although he may talk to animals or sylvan races like wood elves). He doesn’t bother to explain or justify his actions. The Avenger dislikes remaining in one place, and frequently moves on after finishing a particular job.

Brahch Restrictions: None.

Weapon Proficiencies: Recommended - scimitar, spear.

Secondary Skills: Hunting, weaponsmith.

Nonweapon Proficienciea: Bonus - tracking. Recommended-(general) animal training; (priest) herbalism; (warrior) animal lore, endurance, set snares, survival.

Equipment: The druid should spend his initial allotment of gold pieces entirely on equipment, for he loses any unspent starting money in excess of 1 gp.

Special Benefits: The Avenger receives an additional free weapon proficiency slot to use for any proficiency his branch allows.

Special Hindrances: The druid’s grim and silent demeanor gives the character a -1 penalty to reaction adjustment from people in encounters. Torrens, like all Avengers, cannot have henchmen, hirelings, mercenaries, or servants until he reaches 13th level. He can have any amount of treasure, but cannot own more treasure and equipment than he can carry on his back - any excess must go to a worthy cause.

Wealth Options: 3d6x10 gp.

Beastfriend

A deep - perhaps instinctive - knowledge of the habits, actions, and behavior of animals comes naturally to a Beastfriend. Lasell, a typical Beastfriend character, feels quite protective of animals and fiercely punishes those who inflict unnecessary harm upon them. She has nothing against people hunting for food (which, after all, animals also do) but considers hunting for sport repugnant and the use of animals in gladiatorial games a horrible crime.

Role: A Beastfriend like Lasell spends most of her time in the company of animals. In fact, she lives so much of her life around animals that sometimes she lacks social graces among humans. Many Beastfriends are gruff and hostile, preferring the company of honest natural creatures to deceitful humans, demihumans, and humanoids; others like people, but feel shy or tongue-tied around them, and sometimes behave with poor manners. Lasell, like most with her kit, usually travels with one or more animal companions to whom she feels especially devoted.

Branch Restrictions: None.

Weapon Proficiencies: Recommended - staff.

Secondary Skills: Groom, hunter.

Nonweapon Proficiencies: Bonus - animal lore. Recommended - (general) animal handling, animal training, riding (land-based), riding (airborne); (priest) healing.

Equipment: The druid should spend her initial allotment of gold pieces entirely on equipment, as she loses any unspent starting money in excess of 1 gp.

Special Benefits: If Lasell, as a Beastfriend, carefully but fearlessly approaches a tamed or untamed animal, she can try to modify the beast's reaction. The druid can affect only natural animals - that is, those found in the real world (bears, wolves, snakes, etc.), as well as giant or magically enlarged versions of normal animals. When dealing with a nonhostile or domestic animal, the druid can approach and befriend it automatically. Wild beasts or animals trained to fight (like attack dogs or war horses) get a saving throw vs. rods to resist the druid at a minimum penalty of -1. An additional -1 penalty applies for every four full levels the druid has achieved: -2 at 4th level, -3 at 8th, etc. (The druid's power is not magical, though.) If the animal fails to save, the druid may chose to shift its reaction on category either direction on Table 56 (DMG, p. 103).

The Beastfriend receives a +4 bonus on animal lore, animal training, and animal handling proficiency checks. If she doe not have the actual proficiency, she can function as if she did, without the +4 bonus.

If Lasell, as a Beastfriend, casts an Animal sphere spell on an animal, the subject saves against it at a -2 penalty.

Thanks to her knowledge of animals, a Beastfriend can recognize a lycanthrope (whether in human or animal form) on a successful animal lore check. The Beastfriend
notes subtle differences in the behavior of a lycanthrope in animal form compared to a normal animal; she also notices subliminal clues in the movement and behavior of a lycanthrope in human form that point to its animal nature. The Beastfriend may make her one check only after she has been in the lycanthrope's presence for a round.

Special Hindrances: A Bedstfriend does everything she can to help and treat a hurt animal or free an abused one and will kill an animal only to put a dying beast out of its misery. A Beastfriend who has come to know an animal may not harm it, allow others to hurt it, or send it suicidally into harm's way.

In general, the Beastfriend does not recruit animals specifically as bodyguards; rather, she accumulates friends and pets, who may choose to do favors for her, such as scouting or defending her. In return, the druid feeds and shelters them, heals their injuries, and rescues them from captivity.

As with all Beastfriends, Lasell’s lack of social grace prevents her from learning the etiquette proficiency and gives her a -1 penalty to encounter reactions with those of
her own race (except another with her kit).

Wealth Options: 3d6x8 gp. Beastfriends have little interest in civilized matters such as money, and seldom venture into towns.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

yarpenAVE

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2006, 10:15:10 AM »
You're got right Nightmare.. and Black Isle just changed title and description of kit. Now we're got Avenger with Beastfriend abilities :P

yarpenAVE

« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2006, 12:02:27 PM »
Hello everyone. it's again me. And I've got next "found" or something like that. but I'm not sure, is it can be a new component for Unfinished Business.

I've read old IWD 2 presspack. it's veeery old, when Black Isle want to make kits for it. And i've found a kit Mercenary (Henchmen)..

What do you think about restore that? Make that kit for BG II? Of course we must ask guys from Bioware.. But I haven't got any adresses...

What do you think about that? Yeah.. it isn't cutted from BG, but that old version of IWD is a second IE game with kit system.

In my humble opinion, it's a good idea to restore that..

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2006, 12:10:57 PM »
I don't believe Andy will be adding cut material from another game to BG2, but its always possible as just a little kit mod.  The one problem is IWD2 is under 3E rules so it's gonna have to be adapted a bit to work for 2E.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2006, 05:32:46 PM »
Yeah.

yarpenAVE

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2006, 05:08:18 AM »
But it comes from old times. I've read that in old Polish presspack of IWD (2001 year). But who can know something about Mercenary kit abbilities? Can you give me mail to that person?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2006, 06:55:16 AM »
It's not something to go in UB. If people want to make a mercenary kit then that's fine, but not here, since you say it was information regarding an early concept for a different game in a different ruleset.

Offline yarpen

• Planewalker
Beastfriend - planned druid kit
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2006, 12:47:54 AM »
Hi again. I'm repeatly talking about kits.  ::)

Maybe I can add Beastfriend kit for Unfinished Business? I know how to do it 'in WEIDU'. But I want to discuss about his abilities.

What we have? One spell, old kitname entry and original PnP kit.

"Beastfriend
A deep--perhaps instinctive--knowledge of the habits, actions, and behavior of animals comes naturally to a Beastfriend. Lasell, a typical Beastfriend character (pictured on the next page) feels quite protective of animals and fiercely punishes those who inflict unnecessary harm upon them. She has nothing against people hunting for food (which, after all, animals also do) but considers hunting for sport repugnant and the use of animals in gladiatorial games a horrible crime.

Role: A Beastfriend like Lasell spends most of her time in the company of animals. In fact, she lives so much of her life around animals that sometimes she lacks social graces among humans. Many Beastfriends are gruff and hostile, preferring the company of honest natural creatures to deceitful humans, demihumans, and humanoids; others like people, but feel shy or tongue-tied around them and sometimes behave with poor manners. Lasell, like most with her kit, usually travels with one or more animal companions to whom she feels especially devoted.

Special Benefits: If Lasell, as a Beastfriend, carefully but fearlessly approaches a tamed or untamed animal, she can try to modify the beast's reaction. The druid can affect only natural animals--that is, those found in the real world (bears, wolves, snakes, etc.), as well as giant or magically enlarged versions of normal animals. When dealing with a nonhostile or domestic animal, the druid can approach and befriend it automatically. Wild beasts or animals trained to fight (like attack dogs or war horses) get a saving throw vs. rods to resist the druid at a minimum penalty of -1. An additional -1 penalty applies for every four full levels the druid has achieved: -2 at 4th level, -3 at 8th, etc. (The druid's power is not magical, though.) If the animal fails to save, the druid may choose to shift its reaction one category either direction on Table 56 (DMG, p. 103).

The Beastfriend receives a +4 bonus on animal lore, animal training, and animal handling proficiency checks. If she does not have the actual proficiency, she can function as if she did, without the +4 bonus.

If Lasell, as a Beastfriend, casts an Animal sphere spell on an animal, the subject saves against it at a -2 penalty.

Thanks to her knowledge of animals, a Beastfriend can recognize a lycanthrope (whether in human or animal form) on a successful animal lore check. The Beastfriend notes subtle differences in the behavior of a lycanthrope in animal form compared to a normal animal; she also notices subliminal clues in the movement and behavior of a lycanthrope in human form that point to its animal nature. The Beastfriend may make her one check only after she has been in the lycanthrope's presence for a round.

Special Hindrances: A Beastfriend does everything she can to help and treat a hurt animal or free an abused one and will kill an animal only to put a dying beast out of its misery. A Beastfriend who has come to know an animal may not harm it, allow others to hurt it, or send it suicidally into harm's way. In general, the Beastfriend does not recruit animals specifically as bodyguards; rather, she accumulates friends and pets, who may choose to do favors for her, such as scouting or defending her. In return, the druid feeds and shelters them, heals their injuries, and rescues them from captivity.

As with all Beastfriends, Lasell's lack of social grace prevents her from learning the etiquette proficiency and gives her a -1 penalty to encounter reactions with those of her own race (except another with her kit)."

Then my proposition is:

BEASTFRIEND: A deep--perhaps instinctive--knowledge of the habits, actions, and behavior of animals comes naturally to a Beastfriend. Lasell, a typical Beastfriend character feels quite protective of animals and fiercely punishes those who inflict unnecessary harm upon them. She has nothing against people hunting for food (which, after all, animals also do) but considers hunting for sport repugnant and the use of animals in gladiatorial games a horrible crime.

Advantages:
- Once per day per 4 levels can cast 'Charm animal' [my proposition is change charm animal or mammal to animal only], which charm selected animal for 10 rounds. Animal can try to make saving throw vs. spells with modif. 0. -1 per 5 levels to max. -4 at 20 level.

Disadvantages:
- -2 to charisma score

More?:
- Instead normal, have got special 'Summon animal' spells which summon non-controlable animals
- His charm: automatically charms neutral animals, enemy animals must make saving throw.
- Any propositions?

And one thing. Why his spell (charm animal or mammal with that icon) have got some strange immunity to charm effects etc?

Offline Gorilym

• hyperbolic strawman
  • Planewalker
    • MacEasyTutu
Re: Beastfriend - planned druid kit
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2006, 02:14:45 PM »
Well, this is a fairly interesting kit concept, but I doubt UB is the right place for it - the two kits it does add were part of the actual plans for the game, ie they constitute 'unfinished business' while this does not.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2006, 03:35:44 PM »
Actually, this kit was planned for the game.  Open up KITLIST.2da, and look at number 18 - it's labelled BEAST_FRIEND.  It got replaced with the Avenger kit, just as the Feralan was replaced with the Archer.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Gorilym

• hyperbolic strawman
  • Planewalker
    • MacEasyTutu
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2006, 10:35:34 AM »
As usual, NiGHTMARE is right. Mea culpa. :-[ I know I've seen the BEAST_FRIEND tag before, for some reason I thought I was the Beastmaster's 2DA name, but that of course has an entry of its own.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2008, 09:52:11 AM »
Anyone feel up to making a quick kit for inclusion with an upcoming release?
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: