Author Topic: I Murdered Nalia's aunt and then....  (Read 8066 times)

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
Re: I Murdered Nalia's aunt and then....
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2005, 05:47:46 AM »
Unless somebody tells me "in FR it's different" - it may be that you have wrong image of middle ages Kulyok. The peasants were tied to the land, had no freedom etc. but this doesn't mean that the landlord could drive them away at will and it would be "just right". Of course should he be very powerful nobody would "notice" that and possibly those who would "notice" the injustice would simply be his enemies... but this is how it is today too, anyway in terms of laws/customs/morality it was not a thing one could just "do".

I have to disagree here. Driving peasants away at will was not practiced widely, but it was practiced nevertheless. Rech Pospolitaya of XV-XVI is a good example, I believe. I reference you to Warski statut of 1420-1423: one of its clauses stated that a "unlawful" or "unwilling" peasant gave the feodal the right to reduce, and possibly take away his lot.

(I am sorry for my transliteration, should it prove wrong.)
This is something a bit different, in your original post you said:
Wait, it's, kinda, HIS OWN lands, right? He can do whatever he pleases
I simply meant this was not so, a land lord could not (at least theoretically) drive peasants away "because it pleased him", even the status that you quote later does require a reason, mainly that the said peasants are "bad" subjects, so I find it quite probable that some medieval knight who spends too much time in the church calls it injustice and tries to prevent this, and that was indeed what we're talking about, right?
PS. I love (no irony here) the spelling of Rzecz Pospolita.
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2005, 05:49:14 AM »
Probably swim lesson with the fishes.

I think you do not understand what swim lesson with the fishes means. But that's probably a good thing.
It may be good sir that you've missed the irony used by the Lady there.
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Offline balduran

• Supremacy of the Metal Kingdom
  • Planewalker
  • Photo - useless. Inner beauty - questionable.
    • BG2 Improvements Mod by Victor and azure NPC Romance
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2005, 05:53:07 AM »
I did get the irony, thank you Borsook. What I meant was that a swim lesson involves being already dead.
Ask not! Dominate!

http://balduran.blackwyrmlair.net

-- BG2 Improvements
-- Azure NPC Romance

"In the end, my girlfirend became my arch-enemy, my arch-enemy became my best friend, and my best friend became my girlfriend. But hey - that's high school!"

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2005, 05:57:23 AM »
I simply meant this was not so, a land lord could not (at least theoretically) drive peasants away "because it pleased him", even the status that you quote later does require a reason, mainly that the said peasants are "bad" subjects, so I find it quite probable that some medieval knight who spends too much time in the church calls it injustice and tries to prevent this, and that was indeed what we're talking about, right?

But it's not the case of a single knight, but of a powerful organization. Since I assume the baron does not violate the law, as I see it, it is the Orden which gets out of hand. So, my opinion of this quest is that it shows the Orden in an omnious light, not the baron. (I wonder what would have happened if the baron asked the Council for help and protection against the Orden?)

But we'll have to agree to disagree on this point, I suppose, since the subject of whether the baron's actions are entirely lawful/not breaching the law is not quite clear.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2005, 05:58:18 AM »
I did get the irony, thank you Borsook. What I meant was that a swim lesson involves being already dead.
Don't you mean dying during the lesson?? Throwing a dead person to the sharks is no fun and doesn't give the sharks much needed exercise. Besides whole tradition of "walking the plank" was connected to the fact that technically speaking you were not the one doing all the killing.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2005, 06:01:21 AM »

But it's not the case of a single knight, but of a powerful organization. Since I assume the baron does not violate the law, as I see it, it is the Orden which gets out of hand. So, my opinion of this quest is that it shows the Orden in an omnious light, not the baron. (I wonder what would have happened if the baron asked the Council for help and protection against the Orden?)

But we'll have to agree to disagree on this point, I suppose, since the subject of whether the baron's actions are entirely lawful/not breaching the law is not quite clear.

Yes, it's a bit hazy, since it's always is defendable that the baron's action was not "ok" by the laws of Faerun. Which incidentally has far more efficient and widespread law-enforcement than medieval europe, so why not?

Offline balduran

• Planewalker
« Reply #31 on: December 16, 2005, 06:04:06 AM »
Don't you mean dying during the lesson?? Throwing a dead person to the sharks is no fun and doesn't give the sharks much needed exercise. Besides whole tradition of "walking the plank" was connected to the fact that technically speaking you were not the one doing all the killing.

Perhaps I should have explained that it has nothing to do with "walking the plank", but is merely the "tradition" to throw a dead body into the ocean/sea if you do not want it to be recovered.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2005, 06:05:44 AM by balduran »
Ask not! Dominate!

-- BG2 Improvements
-- Azure NPC Romance

"In the end, my girlfirend became my arch-enemy, my arch-enemy became my best friend, and my best friend became my girlfriend. But hey - that's high school!"

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2005, 06:09:31 AM »

Perhaps I should have explained that it has nothing to do with "walking the plank", but is merely the "tradition" to throw a dead body into the ocean/sea if you do not want it to be recovered.
This is more like 1920s and does not fit the spirit of heroic fantasy! Pouring some blood into the water and then "allowing" the person in question to abandon ship is far more fun, you should try it sometime. :pirate

Offline balduran

• Planewalker
« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2005, 06:13:21 AM »
Mind you, such things still happen.
Ask not! Dominate!

-- BG2 Improvements
-- Azure NPC Romance

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2005, 06:22:20 AM »
What throwing dead bodies into the water or alive people to the sharks? or both? Of course they still happen, why wouldn't they? It's not that for thousands of years people were "bad" because they were uneducated or something, cruelty is the very essence of being human, we're probably the only species (maybe exept for dolphins) that take pleasure in hurting their brethren.

Offline balduran

• Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: December 16, 2005, 06:26:30 AM »
What throwing dead bodies into the water or alive people to the sharks? or both? Of course they still happen, why wouldn't they? It's not that for thousands of years people were "bad" because they were uneducated or something, cruelty is the very essence of being human, we're probably the only species (maybe exept for dolphins) that take pleasure in hurting their brethren.

Sounds like they are some very sadistic animals. They're also the only other specie which practices sexual stimulation before the intercourse, did you know that?
Ask not! Dominate!

-- BG2 Improvements
-- Azure NPC Romance

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #36 on: December 16, 2005, 06:30:53 AM »

Sounds like they are some very sadistic animals. They're also the only other specie which practices sexual stimulation before the intercourse, did you know that?
Well, I said maybe, there is e.g. registered case of one species of dolphins wiping out another one, but we do not know whether they take pleasure in killing like humans. I sincerely hope nothing that is as bad as us exists anywhere...

Offline balduran

• Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: December 16, 2005, 06:34:45 AM »
I sencerely hope there isn't. We human are more than enough pleage for this planet, aren't we?
Ask not! Dominate!

-- BG2 Improvements
-- Azure NPC Romance

Offline HERD

• Planewalker
    • Between the Games
« Reply #38 on: December 16, 2005, 06:47:02 AM »
"Saved our town? Good for you. Now go away, you smell"
Must be that "The French Foreign Legion" smell.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #39 on: December 16, 2005, 06:50:04 AM »
"Saved our town? Good for you. Now go away, you smell"
Must be that "The French Foreign Legion" smell.
Good one :D

Offline Wounded_Lion

• Planewalker
  • Dungeon Dweller
« Reply #40 on: December 16, 2005, 12:44:01 PM »
So... why does PC have to enforce democracy and people's rights there?

It isn't about teaching democracy...  it's about teaching that snobby !@#$% to respect the Son (or Daughter) of Bhaal!  lol

;D

a W.L.

Offline Blackwing

• Planewalker
« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2005, 07:51:31 AM »
In the Council of Six building and every single noble estate PC is treated exactly like this. In Trademeet, too, even after PC saves the city: unless the noble needs something from said PC, it's "Saved our town? Good for you. Now go away, you smell" sort of thing all around. Not exactly polite? Sure. Creates nice medieval flavour? Of course, that is what it is there for.

Shouldn't divine blood trump noble blood?  ;)

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2005, 08:05:17 AM »
In the Council of Six building and every single noble estate PC is treated exactly like this. In Trademeet, too, even after PC saves the city: unless the noble needs something from said PC, it's "Saved our town? Good for you. Now go away, you smell" sort of thing all around. Not exactly polite? Sure. Creates nice medieval flavour? Of course, that is what it is there for.

Shouldn't divine blood trump noble blood?  ;)
Ask Joan of Arc.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2005, 08:29:21 AM »
I liked the way it was done in Edwin Romance, btw (divine blood vs noble blood):

EDWIN: My family happens to be wealthy, powerful and noble. I was simply trying not to overwhelm you with my superior ancestry.
PC: Ancestry isn't everything, Edwin. As I well know, being who I am. In fact, I suspect it might even be argued that divine blood outranks yours.
EDWIN: Technically speaking, perhaps. However, you are forgetting that Bhaal is dead. A tiny, microscopic, but nevertheless fairly important point, don't you agree? It's not as if he is about to come charging up any moment now and tell me to mind my manners where his darling daughter is concerned.

Yep, something like that. In one of the first versions, anyway.

Offline Hide and Seek

• The one who wields the Blackrazor
  • Planewalker
  • I always begin my day with a good backstab.
« Reply #44 on: December 18, 2005, 09:33:53 AM »

EDWIN: Technically speaking, perhaps. However, you are forgetting that Bhaal is dead. A tiny, microscopic, but nevertheless fairly important point, don't you agree? It's not as if he is about to come charging up any moment now and tell me to mind my manners where his darling daughter is concerned.

Please tell me Bhaal will do that in the mod, when you meet his avatarform in hell, when he talks to Melissan.
Please, do tell...   ;D
Favourite Quotes from BG2
Minsc: Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
Saemon: Pardon?
Aerie: This is gonna hurt you ALOT more than me!
Sarevok: Now I return the favor!
Drizzt: Yes, yes, you have my attention.
Lilarcor: And this one's for Grandma, who said I would never amount to anything more than a butterknife!

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: December 18, 2005, 09:39:37 AM »
He-he-he. :) I'm afraid I cannot, but you can give Laufey the idea.

Offline Hide and Seek

• The one who wields the Blackrazor
  • Planewalker
  • I always begin my day with a good backstab.
« Reply #46 on: December 18, 2005, 09:53:35 AM »
Done and done. Thanks for the idea, can't wait to see what Laufey thinks of the idea.
Favourite Quotes from BG2
Minsc: Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
Saemon: Pardon?
Aerie: This is gonna hurt you ALOT more than me!
Sarevok: Now I return the favor!
Drizzt: Yes, yes, you have my attention.
Lilarcor: And this one's for Grandma, who said I would never amount to anything more than a butterknife!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: