Author Topic: Blackisle Leftovers  (Read 1458 times)

Offline Rabain

• Planewalker
  • Luck o' the Irish!
Blackisle Leftovers
« on: August 24, 2004, 07:14:44 AM »

I often wonder what is sitting on a hard drive somewhere in Blackisle/Bioware relating to the any of BG series.  Unimplemented creature animations, tilesets, unused areas, item files.

I think its about time Blackisle offered anything they have for download on their site to the legion of fans and modders of this series who are keeping these games alive!

Anyone know what happened to the group of people who were trying to get the Infinity Engine source code released publicly or i think at one stage they were willing to look into buying it?  That kind of faded away!
Touchstone: Wild Elf Fighter
BG2CPM: Dialog Portraits for Everyone!
WTPFamiliars: A new version of the Find Familiar Spell
All at: Border Kingdoms

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Blackisle Leftovers
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2004, 08:58:41 AM »
I think its about time Blackisle offered anything they have for download on their site to the legion of fans and modders of this series who are keeping these games alive!

You do realize that Interplay has laid off most of its employees and is operating as a staggering shell barely avoiding bankruptcy, right? They are remarkably disinterested in sending out goodies.

Anyone know what happened to the group of people who were trying to get the Infinity Engine source code released publicly or i think at one stage they were willing to look into buying it?  That kind of faded away!

There's not a whole lot of point to it, because just having the source code to the Infinity Engine doesn't _get_ you very much. Most variants of it are tightly tied to 2e AD&D, which is another system that would have to be licensed if you were going to do anything with it. Some components of the game engine, like music playback code, are Interplay's, not Bioware's, and still other portions are licensed from third parties and would also need to be either licensed or replaced.

Add to the fact that Bioware has no interest in simply handing the world a perfectly good RPG engine, and you have something Not Terribly Likely.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Rabain

• Planewalker
  • Luck o' the Irish!
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2004, 10:42:40 AM »
Jason, i think somewhere in the haze of my mind i was vaguely aware of all this - just daydreaming about the possibilities! 

On another note i have been using Gareth as a reference for my Callum NPC mod and i have been looking at Interjections.  Is there a reason why you have a file FWGI.baf and haven't included these in the normal J file or am i mixing things up as i cannot recall anyone ever mentioning an I file!!

Thank you for Gareth by the way, without reference to this i would be moving at an extremely slow pace!
Touchstone: Wild Elf Fighter
BG2CPM: Dialog Portraits for Everyone!
WTPFamiliars: A new version of the Find Familiar Spell
All at: Border Kingdoms

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2004, 11:39:08 AM »
Jason, i think somewhere in the haze of my mind i was vaguely aware of all this - just daydreaming about the possibilities! 

Sure. I just think it's important to point out why such things are unlikely to come to pass--and even if they did, why it wouldn't even be all that useful.

On another note i have been using Gareth as a reference for my Callum NPC mod and i have been looking at Interjections.  Is there a reason why you have a file FWGI.baf and haven't included these in the normal J file or am i mixing things up as i cannot recall anyone ever mentioning an I file!!

I think you mean FWGI.d.

Anyway, it's strictly a question of how I choose to organize things, and it goes back to Kelsey-SOA, which has the FWKelseyInterject.d file. It's not actually creating any sort of "I file."

It would be just as easy to include all of the interjection activity in the same .d where I create the J file, but I choose to build the J file in one .d and include any basic quest stuff in there as needed, then compile a separate file for interjections. In my mind it also makes the files a little easier to follow when one creates the J and adds the basic quest elements, while another tacks on interjections and miscellaneous dialogue, but you can choose to put everything in one .d file, or in dozens if you like. (Obviously, I prefer fewer files.)

Thank you for Gareth by the way, without reference to this i would be moving at an extremely slow pace!

You're welcome. Anything to keep people from using Kelsey's mishmash of code as a reference. :)
« Last Edit: August 24, 2004, 02:36:49 PM by jcompton »
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline irenicus

• irenicus
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2005, 05:08:52 AM »
they might do, stranger things have happened but if i where a modder ild email them and ask them, but im so dumb i really would love someone to teach me to make npc mods, i have sooo much spare time probally could make it so fast if i knew how! lol

Offline Avenger_teambg

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2005, 10:54:17 AM »
Jason, i think you don't realize the benefits of a released IE engine source :)

In contrary what you think, there is very little in the engine that is closely tied to D&D.
If i have to guess, it is less than 1% of the code that should be changed (not counting 2da's and other already customisable stuff).

In other words, i could use almost any fragments of authentic source code, even specs.
Though the truth is that we are less and less dependent on this miracle as GemRB progresses.

Rabain: i asked mr. Gaider, but he wrote that the source code isn't available anymore.
Guess they got a HD crash :D
« Last Edit: December 29, 2005, 10:56:29 AM by Avenger_teambg »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: