Author Topic: You first RPG game?  (Read 7272 times)

Offline Sorrow

• Planewalker
  • Grim and Frostbitten
Re: You first RPG game?
« Reply #50 on: December 12, 2005, 08:33:24 AM »
Which makes the next stage of loving a period of readjustment where you realise you are not really enjoying picking up his dirty socks and he realises the free ride is over. 
Nah, don't be cynical Eral. It is not always like that.

I think that if it's not always like that only because some people are cynical and intolerant when chosing a partner, not year after :P.
Siblinghood
Unity
Peace

One Vision!
One Purpose!

-----------------------------

My DeviantArt gallery

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #51 on: December 12, 2005, 03:45:21 PM »
Vel, you are in big, big trouble. Right now, the feminist SWAT team is on it's way to deconstruct you.

The problem for Troy was only two people were allegedly in love. If Hector and Achilles had fallen in love, the whole thing would have been very civil.
Borsook: I can only speak from experience. Mr. FPS was extremely surprised to find that I wouldn't be ironing his underwear. We had so many discussions containing the words "But Mum always did!" Even now, after 12 years together, he still seems startled to find that I don't have his mother's total deference to his every whim. When you're in love, everything shines and is perfect. It's when you're sharing daily life, and your love is a familiar item of your mental furniture, and you do things that bug each other that you find out if your love for the person is stronger than the irritations and difficulties of life. Loving becomes an active choice -not just something that happened because of an initial attraction.

Sorrow, put away your shopping list. You don't choose your partner - you choose to maintain the partnership once you have developed the relationship.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline notasophist

• Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: December 12, 2005, 08:53:41 PM »

The problem for Troy was only two people were allegedly in love. If Hector and Achilles had fallen in love, the whole thing would have been very civil.

Hector, yes. Achilles, no.  :)

Offline Pigeon

• Planewalker
    • hmph
« Reply #53 on: December 12, 2005, 11:41:50 PM »
Mr. FPS was extremely surprised to find that I wouldn't be ironing his underwear. We had so many discussions containing the words "But Mum always did!"

Did he mistake you for your mother or something? Sheesh.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #54 on: December 13, 2005, 12:55:44 AM »
Vel, you are in big, big trouble. Right now, the feminist SWAT team is on it's way to deconstruct you.

Borsook: I can only speak from experience. Mr. FPS was extremely surprised to find that I wouldn't be ironing his underwear. We had so many discussions containing the words "But Mum always did!" Even now, after 12 years together, he still seems startled to find that I don't have his mother's total deference to his every whim. When you're in love, everything shines and is perfect. It's when you're sharing daily life, and your love is a familiar item of your mental furniture, and you do things that bug each other that you find out if your love for the person is stronger than the irritations and difficulties of life. Loving becomes an active choice -not just something that happened because of an initial attraction.
There is of course truth in what You say, but not necessarly. Some people fall in love with people they've known for years, so any suprises about them happen in the period before losing the ability to think rationaly. Also some people are really perfect (I know one) and there's nothing bad to learn about them :)
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Sorrow

• Planewalker
  • Grim and Frostbitten
« Reply #55 on: December 13, 2005, 04:07:00 AM »
Sorrow, put away your shopping list. You don't choose your partner - you choose to maintain the partnership once you have developed the relationship.

I prefer to be alone till the bitter end than to live with someone that I would call Mrs. FPP or Mrs Hip-Hop or Mrs. I Go To Church Every Sunday or Mrs. I Don't Like The Music You Listen or Mrs. I'm Teh Princess And You Are My Brave And Obedient Knight.

It's when you're sharing daily life, and your love is a familiar item of your mental furniture, and you do things that bug each other that you find out if your love for the person is stronger than the irritations and difficulties of life. Loving becomes an active choice -not just something that happened because of an initial attraction.

I don't know if you know, but some people are able to love and carefully judge person at the same time without the period of being blind.
Siblinghood
Unity
Peace

One Vision!
One Purpose!

My DeviantArt gallery

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #56 on: December 13, 2005, 04:21:42 AM »

I Don't Like The Music You Listen or Mrs.
This particular reason is... well, silly. Diversity of tastes is actually a good thing in a relationship (at least in the long run). Just my opinion. ;)

I don't know if you know, but some people are able to love and carefully judge person at the same time without the period of being blind.

Ya know, if it ain't blind, it ain't really Love. It may be love, but not Love. No way.  ;)
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Offline Sorrow

• Planewalker
  • Grim and Frostbitten
« Reply #57 on: December 13, 2005, 04:31:23 AM »

This particular reason is... well, silly. Diversity of tastes is actually a good thing in a relationship (at least in the long run). Just my opinion. ;)

It has something to do with the fact that music has the ability to affect emotional state and psychical health of the listener.
Many kinds of music cause influx of negative emotions and some kinds are outright vampiric (Evanescence or Cradle of Filth for example.)
I used to listen a lot of different kinds of music, but I discovered that it causes emotional confusion and has negative effects on my ability to live a normal live, so now I listen mostly to positive and empovering music.
Siblinghood
Unity
Peace

One Vision!
One Purpose!

My DeviantArt gallery

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #58 on: December 13, 2005, 05:16:55 AM »

It has something to do with the fact that music has the ability to affect emotional state and psychical health of the listener.
Many kinds of music cause influx of negative emotions and some kinds are outright vampiric (Evanescence or Cradle of Filth for example.)
I used to listen a lot of different kinds of music, but I discovered that it causes emotional confusion and has negative effects on my ability to live a normal live, so now I listen mostly to positive and empovering music.
Thread hijack! Ok, but what it has to do with being with somebody, or rather how is that an obstacle impossible to overcome? There are things like headphones and without a tolerance for the other person's tastes the chances of buiding a successful relationship are pretty slim.

Offline Sorrow

• Planewalker
  • Grim and Frostbitten
« Reply #59 on: December 13, 2005, 05:54:28 AM »
That depends on what one means by relationship.
To me it's a striving to unity - i.e. assimilation of others positive traits and elimination of negative.
I think that in this case drastic differences in tastes are an obstacle.
Siblinghood
Unity
Peace

One Vision!
One Purpose!

My DeviantArt gallery

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
  • War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #60 on: December 13, 2005, 07:14:08 AM »
Excuse me while I post something on topic.

First PNP? I don't remember, something from 1st edition D&D.
First CRPG? Diablo. Greatest thing that ever happened to me concerning PC games. Than when Baldur's Gate came out I bought that as well. I liked CRPGs because I missed the days of PnP. I moved away from friends who were pretty involved in it and I missed it. CRPGs filled that void nicely.

Offline Regullus

• Planewalker
« Reply #61 on: December 13, 2005, 08:08:51 AM »
  First Experience? None

First PnP? None

First CRPG - Diablo then Fallout which of the two was the more definitive crpg moment in my life. When I accepted (unwittingly) the slave trader's proposition, in Fallout 2, I choked on my gum. I love, love, love the Fallout series. I love BG but it is only with the excellent mods added that the gaming experience even comes close to the Fallout series. The emotional wrench of losing Dogmeat :'( has never been equaled.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #62 on: December 13, 2005, 08:11:56 AM »
First CRPG was BG1. I've never played anything PnPish.

Offline CoM_Solaufein

• CoM Founder
  • Planewalker
  • War is Peace, Freedom is Slavery, Ignorance is Strength
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #63 on: December 13, 2005, 08:19:51 AM »
The two Fallout games were the best games ever made. I like them more than Baldur's Gate, but not by much.  ;)  The Fallout world fits my mood at times.