Author Topic: NWN2  (Read 4865 times)

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
NWN2
« on: November 15, 2005, 01:15:29 PM »
I didn't like NWN for one reason: one could control only one character, but I've just learned that in NWN2 you'll have full control over your "companions"... that sounds promising!
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

ashara_d

Re: NWN2
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2005, 01:41:15 PM »
I thought you could do that in the expansions of the NWN1? I think I will stick with waiting for Dragon Age though. Consummer loyalty and all that.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2005, 01:56:24 PM »
I thought you could do that in the expansions of the NWN1? I think I will stick with waiting for Dragon Age though. Consummer loyalty and all that.
I expansions you could have 2 of them and give them more detailed instructions, tha's it. From the preview I read it appeared that in NWN2 you're going to have as much control over them as in bg... As for loyality large part of Obsidian are people who did IWD1/2 and PST. I just hope NWN2 will be less buggy than KOTOR2 and have better support.
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Offline Hide and Seek

• The one who wields the Blackrazor
  • Planewalker
  • I always begin my day with a good backstab.
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2005, 02:12:56 PM »
I just hope NWN2 will be less buggy than KOTOR2 and have better support.
I am much of a scenario editor, so I hope NWN2 will keep all the creature blueprints from NWN and make the editor even better.
Is there a release date?
Favourite Quotes from BG2
Minsc: Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
Saemon: Pardon?
Aerie: This is gonna hurt you ALOT more than me!
Sarevok: Now I return the favor!
Drizzt: Yes, yes, you have my attention.
Lilarcor: And this one's for Grandma, who said I would never amount to anything more than a butterknife!

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2005, 02:28:10 PM »
I am much of a scenario editor, so I hope NWN2 will keep all the creature blueprints from NWN and make the editor even better.
Is there a release date?
I hope it's not too soon... KOTOR2 had an "unfinished" smell about it...

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2005, 04:54:39 PM »
Is there a release date?
I hope it's not too soon... KOTOR2 had an "unfinished" smell about it...
It does.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2005, 05:14:01 PM »
Bioware must have noticed the howling outrage of the dispossessed thousands, and decided to repent of their evil. They will need to release a demo before we trust them again, though.
Money for Dragon Age and NWN2? I would say something positive about the big merger but my loathing of corporations driven by market share is too strong.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2005, 06:03:48 PM »
They can repent by making PC games and not console crap.

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2005, 01:39:57 PM »
Bioware must have noticed the howling outrage of the dispossessed thousands, and decided to repent of their evil.

Huh, why do you think that? They seem to be always pushing NWN, buy NWN modules and hire people from NWN community, while totally ignoring BG. So, as far as I can tell, they consider NWN a successful game, that attracted thousands and thousands of fans.
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2005, 02:14:56 PM »
Bioware must have noticed the howling outrage of the dispossessed thousands, and decided to repent of their evil.

Huh, why do you think that? They seem to be always pushing NWN, buy NWN modules and hire people from NWN community, while totally ignoring BG. So, as far as I can tell, they consider NWN a successful game, that attracted thousands and thousands of fans.
Me, I will always dream of a game with BGII:s engine and rules, and with Neverwinters graphic and layout.
But then again, NWN lack much of the things BG contains.

I guess a demo is the only reasonable path to take.
Lilarcor: And this one's for Grandma, who said I would never amount to anything more than a butterknife!

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2005, 02:31:20 PM »
You like NWN graphics?!  :o For me that was the major turn off; I think I would have been able to stand everything else, but the ugliness...
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2005, 06:29:01 PM »
I'm very picky about games and 3D. NWN is lacking but that's because it's older technology. Now games like VtM: Bloodlines and Kotor they have wonderful 3D images. Lets hope they can make better 3D images with NWN2.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2005, 12:51:47 AM »
I'm very picky about games and 3D. NWN is lacking but that's because it's older technology. Now games like VtM: Bloodlines and Kotor they have wonderful 3D images. Lets hope they can make better 3D images with NWN2.
Well the screenshot look really good (and no-more tiles), though I'm afraid about performance of NWN2, especially that Obsidian don't seem too good at optimizing code...

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2005, 04:24:44 AM »
I don't think that any company is going to admit they abandoned their fanbase in order to gain favour with another group which they thought would be more financially viable, and that wasn't a good idea. I'm pretty sure that if the great Bioware/Pandemic merger hadn't occurred, we wouldn't be seeing this backflip at all.The fact that Bioware claim to be re-introducing party control suggests to me that they have noticed how pissed off a number of BG fans were, and that while they gained an audience of tileset modders, they lost the RPGers. I think they are trying to entice the RPGers back.
If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2005, 04:57:55 AM »
I don't think that any company is going to admit they abandoned their fanbase in order to gain favour with another group which they thought would be more financially viable, and that wasn't a good idea. I'm pretty sure that if the great Bioware/Pandemic merger hadn't occurred, we wouldn't be seeing this backflip at all.The fact that Bioware claim to be re-introducing party control suggests to me that they have noticed how pissed off a number of BG fans were, and that while they gained an audience of tileset modders, they lost the RPGers. I think they are trying to entice the RPGers back.
You're talking about Dragon Age? What we know about it seems more like a wishlist than actual feature list right now...

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2005, 09:51:58 AM »
You like NWN graphics?!  :o For me that was the major turn off; I think I would have been able to stand everything else, but the ugliness...
Yeah, most of it, at least. I admit that the crypt and forest scenarios could have been better (I don't like the forest) but I didn't think it was that bad with the graphic.  :pirate
The thing that disturbed me most was, the control, the gameplay, and the henchmen. The fact that you only could have 1 henchman in NWN and NWN: SoU and 2  henchmen in HotU, and almost no control over them, that was my major turn off. I want it more Baldur's Gate like, more choices, more areas, more quests and most specificly, a controlled party.

That said, I wouldn't either mind a NWN2 with the same graphic as BG2.
Anyway, not my choice...

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #16 on: November 17, 2005, 06:26:53 PM »
Well the screenshot look really good (and no-more tiles), though I'm afraid about performance of NWN2, especially that Obsidian don't seem too good at optimizing code...
Obsidian, I am sure does a fine job provided that they are not rushed to get it done like what happened with Kotor2.

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2005, 07:36:04 PM »
Yeah, most of it, at least. I admit that the crypt and forest scenarios could have been better (I don't like the forest) but I didn't think it was that bad with the graphic.  :pirate
The thing that disturbed me most was, the control, the gameplay, and the henchmen. The fact that you only could have 1 henchman in NWN and NWN: SoU and 2  henchmen in HotU, and almost no control over them, that was my major turn off. I want it more Baldur's Gate like, more choices, more areas, more quests and most specificly, a controlled party.

That said, I wouldn't either mind a NWN2 with the same graphic as BG2.
Anyway, not my choice...

IIRC HOTU has support for up to 99 henchmen
but the control system still sucked
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2005, 04:45:41 PM »
What, they still haven't fixed that crappy AI? God, they must have.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2005, 04:51:34 PM »
I have yet to play a game that has "intelligent" AI.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #20 on: November 19, 2005, 01:06:22 AM »
I have yet to play a game that has "intelligent" AI.
Yeah and e.g. Kotor has pathfinding as "good" as BG2

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2005, 03:13:08 PM »
The party like in BG with full control is a definite for DA, they keep saying that over and over. The downside is that they keep talking and talking about DA, but there is no real progress shown, or any new 'official' information. Just the year or so old screens, which are very beautiful, granted. KOTOR is much cuter than NWN for areas, but the characters still have all those sharp corners instead of curves and the hair are horrendous... It also irritated me that they did a close-up for convos and the characters were going through the same serie of the facial expressions every time. That was plain ugly. I much prefer being at a distance and imagining what I would :)
—George R.R. Martin

-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2005, 02:38:56 AM »
Honestly I for one could not care less for graphics, I play a lot of "rogue" games and enjoy them a lot. I think that the problem of all modern games is that game makers forget that people enjoy PnP RPGs without using any visual help, only imagination. If they only concentrated on game balance/plot... not to mention the fact that they only think about how it looks not runs e.g. I can't play KOTOR 2 on my machine (I get 5-8 FPS while in e.g. DOOM3 in hi-res I get 40)... nobody is optimizing code anymore, only "buy faster PC". Sorry for ranting.