Author Topic: Madam President  (Read 34811 times)

Offline discharger12

• Truth?
  • Planewalker
  • k
Madam President
« on: November 03, 2005, 07:30:16 AM »
My history teacher the other day asked a journal question of "Do you think a woman president will ever get elected?" It got me wondering on women presidents in general. I wanted to ask the 'public' what they thought on the good/bad things that would result from a woman becoming the U.S. President. Democrat/Republican/whatever aside.

Even if you're not U.S., I don't care. Cultural diversity, you know?

This isn't meant as a flame thread.

Offline Sorrow

• Planewalker
  • Grim and Frostbitten
Re: Madam President
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2005, 07:46:41 AM »
I don't know, I hate presidents anyway.
There was a female candidate in Poland that had big chances of winning the election, but she resigned.
Siblinghood
Unity
Peace

One Vision!
One Purpose!

-----------------------------

My DeviantArt gallery

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2005, 08:11:54 AM »
I don't know, I hate presidents anyway.
There was a female candidate in Poland that had big chances of winning the election, but she resigned.
Big chances? Who?
PS. About general question, it might happen untill people will stop asking the question "what are benefits/disadvantages of female president" and simply stop perceiving candidates' gender.
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline discharger12

• Truth?
  • Planewalker
  • k
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2005, 08:18:04 AM »
Well, women have a certain problem that men don't have...

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2005, 08:39:18 AM »

No penis?

-Echon

Offline Alarielle

• Disco Blob
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2005, 09:53:58 AM »

And that would be?  Women and men are equally capable of leading a country effectively (or, indeed, making a massive balls-up of it), so I don't really see where you think this discussion could possibly go.
'Can I swashbuckle through your drawers?' - Grim Squeaker

Alarielle: There's a good kind of dirty?
Andyr: It's the 'cool, kinky' dirty as opposed to the 'take a bath you fucking messy fuck' dirty :)

s

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2005, 09:56:07 AM »
My mother always mentions that woman have periods, which could prove very ineffective for some things...

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2005, 11:06:43 AM »
This debate is utterly ridiculous.  It'll make no difference at all having a female president.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline Evaine Dian

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2005, 11:26:14 AM »
« Last Edit: December 03, 2007, 02:05:53 PM by Evaine Dian »
"Show me how you do that trick! The one that makes me scream", she said,
"the one that makes me laugh!" she said and threw her arms around my neck.
"Show me how you do it and I promise you, I promise that
I'll run away with you, I'll run away with you..."

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2005, 11:27:39 AM »
I think discharger has been watching too much "Commander-in-Chief."
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2005, 02:06:36 PM »
Random story: Kim Campbell was the first woman to become Prime Minister of Canada.  She fucked it up so bad that during the next election the Conservative Party only won two seats.  I think she's an ambassador in Los Angeles or something, now.  I don't think she did poorly because she was a woman, though, but because she was like a mini-Thatcher.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Sorrow

• Planewalker
  • Grim and Frostbitten
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 02:30:19 PM »
Big chances? Who?

Lady Kwasniewsky:P?
She had some chances, but I think that she was afraid that everyone will know how corrupted is she.
Siblinghood
Unity
Peace

One Vision!
One Purpose!

-----------------------------

My DeviantArt gallery

Offline fcm

• Muahaha?
  • Planewalker
  • Fresh
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 02:33:20 PM »
There would be no difference between a male and female president, but it would be signifigant in pushing Ameirca farther away from being a pigish, sexist nation. Countries that have had Prime Minsters/Presidents a far shorter time than America has have already had MULTIPLE female leaders.

But hell, we only broke the WASP mold once. All and all, we do not like to change. Not to the left and not to the right.

That's what happens when you have a country full of citizens that have absolutley no real grasp on history. Our attention span is derided internationally, and it should be. We're more concerned about what "Jacko" is doing than we are about who our next Supreme Court Justice is going to be. But yeah, here we are -- completely devoid of introspection and historical knowledge, half of us wanting a version of the past that NEVER HAPPENED and the other half so concerned about nitpicking and whining about specifics without ever taking into consideration the whole picture that nothing gets done.

It's all very depressing, when you think about it. I really despise how poorly educated our country is. ESPECIALLY when it comes to slavery. If there is one thing that we have completley and utterly fucked up (and there is no other word for it, I swear) it's the disgusting mishandling of how we teach one of the singular most important aspects of a historical period that has inexorably made our nation what it is today. Period.

But look at that, a tangent! Woo!

As for a female President . . . yeah. Sexist nation. What are you going to do? Feminists don't get taken seriously because for the most part, the nation feels that the issue is over, that making 70% less than an equally-qualified male and being stunted by an unbreakable glass ceilling is O.K. "Feminist" is a dirty word now, and that's just sad -- because I don't think it's wrong to object to the fact that popular culture dictates that I am to be your perfect little whore AND a businesswoman AND raise a family and not have any complaints about it any which way.

I mean, look. If I am a size 0 and I can't even feel comfortable with my own body, there's something wrong with that. I mean, no one should be made to feel uncomftable about themselves -- but even when you do reach the "ideal," or come near it, there's no satisfaction. Why? Because it's not a goal! It's a construction whose only purpose is to make you feel badly about yourself. There is something fundamentally wrong with the way women are portrayed . . . and before we even talk about president, we need to start thinking about CEO and Senator. And I don't mean 5%, or one, ONCE. I mean proportionatley accurate numbers.

Sometimes this country really pisses me off. We're so apathetic and spoiled. It's unbelievable.
Imbriglicated!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2005, 02:42:25 PM »
Take heart, fcm. If the brief history of the US executive branch in the 21st century has taught us anything, it is that leadership shall not be judged by race or gender.

Just by the capacity to commit malicious evil.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline fcm

• Muahaha?
  • Planewalker
  • Fresh
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2005, 02:46:48 PM »
Take heart, fcm. If the brief history of the US executive branch in the 21st century has taught us anything, it is that leadership shall not be judged by race or gender.

Just by the capacity to commit malicious evil.

Oh, well, so long as they're not sexist and stay the hell away from the National Parks System, I'm game!
Imbriglicated!

Offline Joe

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2005, 02:50:07 PM »
I don't a simple difference of gender is any kind of difference to vote by. I will look at the candidates, male or female, blakc or white or purple, and vote for who it is that I disagree with the least.

Offline Loriel

• Planewalker
    • Loriel's Downloads
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2005, 03:14:55 PM »
@fcm
I agree with much of what you said about  people's view of feminism in America.  One thing you said, though, has me asking a question:  what is the "glass ceiling" for women I keep hearing about?  I understand the concept, but I have yet to hear if there is an amount of money that women are supposedly unable to earn.  My experience has been completely opposite.  I make almost half of what my wife makes, and that's only because I started a company that allows me to make more than any job I've ever held in the past.  She has received a consistent raise since before we were married, and there's really no end in sight.  Sometimes I wonder if the "glass ceiling" is really just a way of saying "I think I deserve more money than what I'm making", which could be applied to most Americans (or, indeed, humans of any country), regardless of gender.

Offline discharger12

• Truth?
  • Planewalker
  • k
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2005, 03:43:38 PM »
I need to clear a few things up. First of all, I was raised a certain way, which doesn't mean that I'm unopen to new ideas, but that my mother has been raising me to believe that woman should be the one's staying home and the men should go out and get jobs. She believes in voting, going out and getting a job if no man is around, and a few other things. Just basically, anything a man should be doing, like typical man jobs, should be soley for men.

And as for the question, I think a more relevant question would be "Would society except a woman president?"

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2005, 03:59:06 PM »
Yes, of course they would.  In fact after Bush, they'd accept almost anyone or anything else.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2005, 04:30:02 PM »
I need to clear a few things up. First of all, I was raised a certain way, which doesn't mean that I'm unopen to new ideas, but that my mother has been raising me to believe that woman should be the one's staying home and the men should go out and get jobs. She believes in voting, going out and getting a job if no man is around, and a few other things. Just basically, anything a man should be doing, like typical man jobs, should be soley for men.

And as for the question, I think a more relevant question would be "Would society except a woman president?"

Would you care to give examples of typical man jobs?
As for society accepting a woman president. Well. Society claims to be against terrorism and oppression. Yet society seems to accept the dehumanisation, violation of human rights, and torture of Muslim Prisoners. So anything is possible.
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline Joe

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2005, 04:47:28 PM »

Yet society seems to accept the dehumanisation, violation of human rights, and torture of Muslim Prisoners. So anything is possible.

Anyone who accepts those things accepts them because they are done to people who are perceived to be terrorists, not because they are Muslim.

Offline discharger12

• Truth?
  • Planewalker
  • k
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2005, 05:12:04 PM »
Would you care to give examples of typical man jobs?
As for society accepting a woman president. Well. Society claims to be against terrorism and oppression. Yet society seems to accept the dehumanisation, violation of human rights, and torture of Muslim Prisoners. So anything is possible.

Asking my mother on this one, she responded "Anything that requires heavy lifting or dirty work." Trashman, policemen, and construction working, I guess. I think she told me earlier that desk jobs were the most suitable. Cooking, cleaning, and taking care of kids being the woman's job.

So, if you feel like calling me a chauvinistic pig, fine with me. This is coming from my mother, anyway. Rant about her.

@Icelus: I just saw your posts, and I've never actually seen that show. Non-satellite-wise, I just stick to sit-coms and CSI/Law and Order.

Edit: Oh, and I don't need any more personal vendettas, so if you will, do not hate. Please?
« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 05:17:51 PM by discharger12 »

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2005, 05:27:52 PM »
Anyone who accepts those things accepts them because they are done to people who are perceived to be terrorists, not because they are Muslim.
But several of the people who have such things done to them are perceived to be terrorists primarily because they are Muslim.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2005, 05:32:00 PM »

Yet society seems to accept the dehumanisation, violation of human rights, and torture of Muslim Prisoners. So anything is possible.

Uh huh. Ever heard of a thing called Racial Profiling? Not Terroristo profiling but Racial. Also, do you believe that Taliban fighters were Terrorists? Why has no-one from the Secret camps been charged with anything?

And uh. Lets just pretend the Patriot act doesn't exist.

Also, discharger, your mother is a Chauvinistic pig.
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline discharger12

• Truth?
  • Planewalker
  • k
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2005, 05:43:56 PM »
Also, discharger, your mother is a Chauvinistic pig.

Fine, I guess. Honor dictates that I call you an ass for insulting my mother, but I did give you permission. But still, enough mother bashing. I believe that we should respect each other's opinions, even if we don't agree with them. Like your insult. I don't agree with it, but I respect it. (I think)

« Last Edit: November 03, 2005, 05:47:56 PM by discharger12 »