Author Topic: SHS is down. Will we be next???  (Read 14811 times)

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: SHS is down. Will we be next???
« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2005, 02:10:44 PM »
Consider that the forums could perhaps be identified by reading the descriptive text under the name? Or perhaos even looking at the content inside.  I appreciate it's not what it was before but I don't see how its problematic.

It's not a problem, it just looks silly and cutesy. If silly and cutesy is what you're going for, then there's no problem.

And regarding the G3 mirror are people really complaining over the fact that its done offsite or...? It was a means to an end and G3 already has an established pattern that worked,  I guess it seemed pointless going for a carbon copy.

But it... is a carbon copy. With one critical difference: it's a carbon copy you and Shed can edit when you get a case of the giggles, like you did with the Jerry Zinger poll. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not really enthusiastic about that prospect.

Does what it says on the can at the end of the day.

Until you deface it.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Exodus

• 1 half of the omg we are teh funy team
  • Planewalker
  • Redhead
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2005, 02:52:42 PM »
It's not a problem, it just looks silly and cutesy. If silly and cutesy is what you're going for, then there's no problem.

The specific objection was over functionality.  People complained the new titles weren't clear and  I think I've cleared up that there's sufficient clarity.  I can 't see the link between ESL and "silly and cutesy" personally.  If you've a problem with the aesthetic, colours included, we're open to (helpful) feedback rather then a statement such as the above.

But it... is a carbon copy. With one critical difference: it's a carbon copy you and Shed can edit when you get a case of the giggles, like you did with the Jerry Zinger poll. You'll have to forgive me if I'm not really enthusiastic about that prospect.

I suppose I wasn't that clear there.  It's a deliberate carbon copy.  Something more appropriate then asking the same people to perform the same function at another place.  Doesn't take much of an effort I guess but the end result is still the same no?  And it saves on their time too.  The only things that the JZ mod and the forum upgrade have in common are the originators who have put in time and effort and the fact that they've fallen into the disaproval category of pretty much the same individuals. We don't mind objection and disagreement but some acceptance of the work that has been done doesn't go unappreciated even if you don't like it.  As for the poll, well, I'll stand by my own action and let Shed speak for himself.

Until you deface it.

Err, no.  Label says - The latest news from all different modding communities, powered by The Gibberlings Three.  And thats what it does.
Public Warning - Seifer is one half of the crack elite team recognised by JC as the "omg we are teh funy" team!  You have been warned!

http://www.omgwearetehfuny.net

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2005, 03:08:29 PM »

It's a mirror for the IE Modding News, which I personally felt was a really good idea to begin with over on G3. But seeing how adding the same thing to SHS would be redundant and increase difficulty for announcers, I thought of this to be a very good way to spread the information to a wider audience with less work involved. I don't see how you of all people could object to that.

Actually, I would encourage you to do the same thing, but I'm not sure if SMF supports RSS import.
sconrad.net

jcompton: "When did the switch flip in your brain that made this make sense to you?"

Spellhold Studios - Where the switch flipped in our brains that made things make sense!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2005, 03:14:53 PM »
It's a mirror for the IE Modding News, which I personally felt was a really good idea to begin with over on G3. But seeing how adding the same thing to SHS would be redundant and increase difficulty for announcers, I thought of this to be a very good way to spread the information to a wider audience with less work involved. I don't see how you of all people could object to that.

I object to the significant probability that legitimate posts on Studios will be edited or deleted.

Actually, I would encourage you to do the same thing, but I'm not sure if SMF supports RSS import.

I'm perfectly content to let Cam maintain the feed on G3 and reap the incidental benefit that when people click on the article, they're taken to G3 and get a chance to browse around more on that site.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2005, 03:15:51 PM »
The specific objection was over functionality.  People complained the new titles weren't clear and  I think I've cleared up that there's sufficient clarity.  I can 't see the link between ESL and "silly and cutesy" personally.  If you've a problem with the aesthetic, colours included, we're open to (helpful) feedback rather then a statement such as the above.

I am not bothered by cuteness much, and if I were, I probably wouldn't complain, but the problem of clarity stands, I think.

Here is an example: when I want to learn about a mod, I am looking for the words "progress reports", "bug reports" and "feedback thread" in a mod forum. If a modder uses a metaphor, things become more difficult for me; for example, when I saw a thread "Bells and Whistles" in BG1 NPC forum, I had to make a rather long Google search to find out what it meant. But with threads, it is easier. A user can make a new thread, ask a question in an old one - whatever (but it still causes hassle, which, in my opinion, should be avoided). A forum name, however, cannot be changed.

What I am afraid of is a new user coming up to SHS, as I came to some other forum a year ago, raise an eyebrow, scratch his head and probably leave. I myself had ten minutes of headache this morning, and I do not think I am that dumb... probably. So, I very much ask you to reconsider, and to keep these names as a separate option - with Advanced Dungeons&Dragons, Fan Fiction and Fan Art being default ones.

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2005, 03:27:54 PM »
I object to the significant probability that legitimate posts on Studios will be edited or deleted.

Ahh, yes, the fear of being edited. I wouldn't worry if I were you, but it's entirely up to you whether to spend time being troubled with it. I'm sure you could find better things to devote your time on, but on the other hand, maybe not.

I'm perfectly content to let Cam maintain the feed on G3 and reap the incidental benefit that when people click on the article, they're taken to G3 and get a chance to browse around more on that site.

I'm not editing or manipulating the feed in any way. I simply put up it for show to the SHS visitors as well, which probably is a larger audience overall.
sconrad.net

jcompton: "When did the switch flip in your brain that made this make sense to you?"

Spellhold Studios - Where the switch flipped in our brains that made things make sense!

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2005, 04:11:52 PM »
A good point has been nailed on the mast regarding the skins though.  I'll ask for suggestions on alternative colour schemes or what people may like to see to be posted here

I am not extravagant; any pale color scheme with black text. I just happen to passionately dislike brown color, having have worn brown and black school dress for seven years of my life six days a week. Anything that will make the forum look less drab, but readable is fine.
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2005, 04:18:59 PM »
The current skin is not brown anywhere. The colour used is #532529, a very dark red.
sconrad.net

Offline Meira

• Planewalker
  • I'm the snow on your lips
    • Amber's Home
« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2005, 04:56:51 PM »
The current skin is not brown anywhere. The colour used is #532529, a very dark red.
Well, it looks brown to me. :) Then again my monitor is quite old... I think the new skin is better than the old, but I think I'd still change it if there were alternatives available as it's a little dull now. I like blue. black on white(ish) is nice for readability.

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2005, 04:59:17 PM »
Well, I guess, I don't like this shade of the dark red, as it reminds me of brown, and if the alternative is available, I will be replacing it.
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2005, 06:35:12 PM »
Ahh, yes, the fear of being edited. I wouldn't worry if I were you, but it's entirely up to you whether to spend time being troubled with it.
So are you guaranteeing that anything written by me which appears on ShS in the future will not be defaced by the moderators? In that case, awesome news, and I'm not at all worried!

Offline Idobek

• Dust Bunny
  • Planewalker
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2005, 11:26:36 AM »
Maybe my memory is playing up, but I'm pretty sure I remember Sim once saying that relying on the common sense of users' was something he strongly disagreed with.  We could certainly have an extremely lengthy debate over what is and what is not "common sense" on an message board, since the internet is obviously a far more multi-national, multi-cultural, multi-age group, etc place than almost any off-line environment, and therefore in-grained ideas of what is and isn't proper behaviour will vary wildly.
Depressing as it is, I have to agree* that relying on the common sense of users is unreliable at best. I was really refering to the common sense of moderators. I think it is far more important for those with power (such as it is) have some sense than the average user. What is and isn't proper behaviour can be determined by reading a few threads on any given forum. This shouldn't stop those seeking help from posting since the very nature of their posts is unlikely to offend (although they could at least try to use the search function).

*Depressing that users display a disturbing lack os common sense, not that I have to agree with you.
The Gibberlings Three Forums

<SimDing0> Did you know G3 has secret forum rules?
<CamDawg> Yep. They're generally of the nature 'don't annoy Idobek.'