Author Topic: Time in the Shower -The Real Truth?  (Read 18565 times)

Offline Celissa

• Planewalker
Re: Time in the Shower -The Real Truth?
« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2005, 07:06:47 PM »
My fiance certainly ends up taking longer showers than I do.  I'm typically out in ten minutes, tops (probably something to do with both my 'Yes, I've survived dormitory life' history as well as the fact that I'm typically rushing through the process so I can sort out all the mischief my daughter's made in the span of that oh-so-long ten minutes).  The boy is usually in for at least twenty.  Let's don't compare bath times, though..I've been known to soak in a nice bubble bath for hours.   ::)

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2005, 08:25:39 PM »
This is excellent. Excellent.
@Bons
-I think data on children who bathe independently should be included, not for those who still have to placed in the bathroom. It would be interesting if we could find out if pre-adolescent boys who are positively allergic to washing and have to be forced into the bathroom retain a preference for short showers.
-It is interesting that early experiences of short showers being necessary does not always equate to short showers now. Celissa, we will need you to report back in about 10 years- maybe 15 -when the amount of time you spend in the shower no longer co-relates exactly with how much damage your daughter will do.
-As for the question of revenge for running taps and toilet flushing, I tend to either sigh patiently and have another(4781 and counting) conversation later about why he shouldn't do that, or I squawk indignantly and loudly immediately.
-I have done a deliberate tap run on a few occasions, and once when we were having an argument while he was in the shower I flushed the toilet to great effect. Generally though my early training makes me very sensitive to this and I don't do it. (Getting beaten up by your siblings is a powerful reinforcer of behaviour.) 

If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline KIrving

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2005, 09:54:14 PM »
I take showers that average about 10 mins, sometimes less.  We have permanent water restrictions in place here so I tend to get the guilts if I shower longer than that.  My husband on the other hand loves long showers and I have no doubt he would stay in them even longer if I didn't pop my head in the bathroom to nag him..(and have a perv ;)
I also have an older brother that had showers that were a minimum of 30 mins.  He also liked to shower twice a day.  Hmm...I don't know whether the frequency of showers per day has been asked as a factor yet?
Look at the stars.
Listen to the rain.
Walk backwards.
Talk to a rock.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2005, 10:42:19 PM »
Those that take long showers, I wonder if they are doing more than just cleaning themselves.  :D
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline glain

• Got Shirt?
  • Planewalker
  • "Comptonette #1" and Resident Neurosurgeon
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2005, 11:00:31 PM »
-I think data on children who bathe independently should be included, not for those who still have to placed in the bathroom. It would be interesting if we could find out if pre-adolescent boys who are positively allergic to washing and have to be forced into the bathroom retain a preference for short showers.
Well, in the other thread (at Epic) I did give some info about this, Eral. And yes, my son is pre-adolescent, but give me two years and I'll tell you whether his aversion to soap and water continues into his teenage years... 
Beware the evil behind the smiling eyes...

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2005, 11:23:24 PM »
hee! I had an aversion to all water through my teens. This was particularly bad when we went for a holiday through the tropics...I somehow suspect my belief I didn't smell was because my nose had shut down in protest.

Baths rock. I shoulda picked a place that had a bathtub :( Maybe if I get a burst of energy and go alookin I'll get one with a bath.
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2005, 11:48:37 PM »
I just timed myself, and it took 23 minutes.  This includes time enough to remove some laundry baskets that were in there for some reason, *cut myself two times while shaving, **philosophise for approximately 6 minutes while the conditioner did whatever it does, but excludes doing anything with my hair, or brushing the teeth, which I did after supper.

*I gave of my life's blood for science, that it might bring about a new world order of peace and propserity.  This is a time of sacrifice, and we must all give willingly.

**Nothing high-brow.  You wouldn't be interested.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2005, 12:01:55 AM »
Statistics on g'lain's family: males- 5 mins in shower. Females - much longer.

Good work, Vel : from water aversion to a love of baths. I shall watch my nephew's develpoment with interest. I don't think my sister wants him quite that clean, but at least it's better than having to spend 15 mins every day standing outside the bathroom shouting "Don't make me come in there! Use the soap!" We might need a sub-thread just for observation on boys.

Ghrey, yours is the spirit that has lead to non-stick frypans and micro-fibre dusters, without which cultures cannot be built. Be proud.

If you see anything mysterious or unusual, just enjoy it while you can.  - Michael Leunig.

Offline Dark Raven

• Bloody Cynical
  • Planewalker
  • Flesh is the law
    • Chosen of Mystra
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2005, 12:11:07 AM »
saunas are the best for water relaxation.
Per me si va nella citta dolente.
Per me si va nell eterno dolore.
Per me si va tra la perduta gente...
Lasciate ogni speranza perduta che'entrate!

Chosen of Mystra home to many mods.

Offline fcm

• Muahaha?
  • Planewalker
  • Fresh
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2005, 01:10:07 AM »
http://www.olayquench.com/usa/olayshower/pollresults.jsp

According to this:
39.9% of women and 53% take 5 to 10 minute showers.
37.5% of women and 28% of men take 11 to 20 minute showers.
13.5% of women and 5.6% of men take showers longer than 20 minutes.
Imbriglicated!

Offline Loriel

• Planewalker
    • Loriel's Downloads
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2005, 06:25:16 AM »
Those that take long showers, I wonder if they are doing more than just cleaning themselves.  :D

Yes, we shave, too. :o

Offline Loriel

• Planewalker
    • Loriel's Downloads
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2005, 06:28:16 AM »
I just timed myself, and it took 23 minutes.  This includes time enough to...*cut myself two times while shaving*...

You really should get one of those always fogging no-fog mirrors for the shower.  BTW, it's for shaving, not self-admiration.

Offline Eral

• Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2005, 07:12:26 AM »
fcm, that may be the survey The Age so sloppily reported on. Once I got over the idea they paidsomeone to do this and then published the results right up there with news from Iraq and the latest development in Alzheimer's research - I still think the male participants either lied resoundingly or demonstrate a lack of awareness of actual time passed.  I believe we have established that hair removal, conditioner, children, the size of your hot water system and philosophy are far more likely to influence the length of your time in the shower. Not gender.

Offline trance1881

• Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2005, 12:22:39 PM »
Time in the shower. well that depends if im late for class or not. if im late 5 minutes tops, if not i kinda take my time 15 to 20 min.
I'll wipe your filthy lineage right outta the realm!!

Offline fcm

• Muahaha?
  • Planewalker
  • Fresh
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2005, 03:12:24 PM »
I'm just amazed anyone can take a shower less than 15 minutes long and still consider themselves clean. I'd go crazy all day wondering if my hair smelled musky.

This is why I could never be an adventurer . . . Actually, I'm an extremely good primitive camper so long as I can still brush my teeth and wash my face. I guess I just don't like being denied showers when they're available.
Imbriglicated!

Offline KIrving

• Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2005, 10:53:58 PM »
I still think the male participants either lied resoundingly or demonstrate a lack of awareness of actual time passed.  
I'd say both, but most likely the latter.  Of course this 'lack of awareness of time passed' factor would also explain many things about male behaviour. ;)
Look at the stars.
Listen to the rain.
Walk backwards.
Talk to a rock.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2005, 04:38:52 AM »
I still think the male participants either lied resoundingly or demonstrate a lack of awareness of actual time passed.   
I'd say both, but most likely the latter.  Of course this 'lack of awareness of time passed' factor would also explain many things about male behaviour. ;)
Let's not be hasty in such conclusions, for me it's very hard to imagine what people who spend more than 5 minutes in the shower do there... play with rubber ducks?
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2005, 06:02:18 AM »
Seven minutes in the shower, two to four hours in the sauna. Though I doubt Russian "banya" can be called a sauna. Torture chamber, more like, he-he... :)

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2005, 10:35:59 AM »
Let's not be hasty in such conclusions, for me it's very hard to imagine what people who spend more than 5 minutes in the shower do there... play with rubber ducks?

Shave, Philosophise, procrastinate etc. Tragically learn to spell isn't one of the things to do there. Or I'd know how to spell the Philosopy words.
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2005, 10:41:22 AM »

Shave, Philosophise, procrastinate etc. Tragically learn to spell isn't one of the things to do there. Or I'd know how to spell the Philosopy words.
For such things we have baths (wich can take around an hour). Showers by definition are done in a hurry.
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #45 on: October 17, 2005, 12:43:31 PM »
What are you, the Water-Based-Activity Police?  People can do what they want in the shower, and based on the results of the poll, your definition seems to be the one in the minority.  People can and do choose not to sit in a tepid pool of their own accumulated filth, greases, oils, and whatnot, preferring instead to use the shower.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #46 on: October 17, 2005, 02:15:44 PM »
What are you, the Water-Based-Activity Police?  People can do what they want in the shower, and based on the results of the poll, your definition seems to be the one in the minority.  People can and do choose not to sit in a tepid pool of their own accumulated filth, greases, oils, and whatnot, preferring instead to use the shower.
If that was directed at me: far from it, just trying to understand customs quite alien to myself. And of course people can do what they want in the shower but I thought the purpose of this here topic was to discuss and compare such activities especially in relation to their duration.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #47 on: October 17, 2005, 03:35:54 PM »
...I thought the purpose of this here topic was to discuss and compare such activities especially in relation to their duration.

Right, but evidence points to the fact that showers aren't things one does in a hurry.  Unless you're a woman, apparently.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #48 on: October 17, 2005, 03:51:32 PM »
...I thought the purpose of this here topic was to discuss and compare such activities especially in relation to their duration.

Right, but evidence points to the fact that showers aren't things one does in a hurry.  Unless you're a woman, apparently.
Evidence? What evidence? Sorry, I'm lost. Everyone I know treads them this way, I don't know whether you're refering to the poll or previous posts here, in both cases the vast mojority of them are made by people away from my place of living by many, many kms. That said, when I stated that showers by definition are done in a hurry I obviously meant that it is so for me, which BTW results probably from family traditions, not that it is an objective truth (esp. since such a thing does not exist). I always thought that stating an opionion means only that it is your personal opinion and underlining that is redundant, only expressing something which is not a personal opinion requires underlining. Hope everything is clear now and sorry if my way of expressing appeared caused confusion.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2005, 04:03:17 PM »
You were speaking for some sort of 'we', and stating that showers are short by definition certainly seems like a concrete statement of fact, not an opinion.  But anyways, now that that's cleared up, we can get back to doing whatever it was.
Earn Money Sleeping.