Author Topic: Mummies... n' stuff  (Read 2572 times)

Offline MO

• Planewalker
Mummies... n' stuff
« on: October 11, 2005, 10:27:03 PM »
1) I'm pretty sure this relates somehow to the Mummy Resurrection thing in the Quest Pack, but if not.... sorry. :)

It seems that whenever I fight Mummies these days, they change into Commoners as soon as I do damage to them, say a line or two of text (usually to the effect of "what am I doing here?  Gotta get back to my family!"), and then disappear. 

Aside from the loss of 3000 XP per mummy, I found this to be potentially more-than-irritating during Korgan's quest for the Book of Kaza.  During the course of that quest, it's necessary to actually kill a mummy in order to get the journal updated or to get Korgan's hint about going to Pimlico's house in the temple district.  If the mummy changes into a commoner, that never happens; I don't know if this'll foul up any of the later steps with the quest or not, since I reloaded and FlameArrowed the mummy to death before it could change into a commoner and disappear, but it might be something to look into.

Observations:  magic missile will always cause the Mummy to transform into a commoner, as will a hit from an acid arrow.  They can be killed normally if you pour on enough damage fast enough, though (ie. flame arows).  My Fire Elemental also killed one, once.  Haven't actually tried resurrecting a mummy yet; wasn't even aware such a thing was possible :).

Updated observations:  Seems like any targeted spell (offensive, at least) will cause the mummy to transform.  Doom does it, as does power word: sleep, and pierce magic as well

Applies to Greater Mummies as well.

XP values are variable, in that the party might still receive the 3000 XP for mummies, or 8000 XP for greater mummies.  The ones found in the crypts of the Graveyard District didn't give any XP, but the mummies found in the undead area of the Unseeing Eye's quest did yield the XP.

Makes for a kind of cheesy way of dealing with the mummies, all things considered. :)

2)  I have no real idea where this one belongs, so I'll just stick it here and hope someone knows what I'm talking about.

I've hit upon some odd behaviour with the stronghold quests.  I've got a fighter/thief (fighter assassin, technically, since I Shadowkeeped the kit in there for him before starting the game), evil by nature but good by reputation, romancing Aerie, who's already accepted the De'Arnise stronghold from Nalia.  I followed up on the Five Flagon's playhouse quests to the point where I brought the portal gem to Raelis, at which point I asked for more money than what she said she'd give me originally, and then asked to be paid, up front, for fending off the creatures from the portal.  Portal opens... creatures die... bounty hunters appear, all as normal.  If I choose an option that says "Leave me out of this" when the bounty hunters speak up, however, the bounty hunters leave, the portal closes (no option to rescue the actors from the planar prison), Aerie questions my morals... and Samuel gives me the playhouse as a stronghold anyway.  I haven't completed the Planar Prison this time through so I don't know what'll happen regarding the stronghold once I rescue Haerry and his friends, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if I recall anything like this happening in an unmodded game.

I've got Ease of Use installed, but I didn't install the Multiple Strongholds component.

Anyone out there know if this relates to a mod, or if this is a leftover bug from the original?  More a curiosity than a problem, but still noteworthy, I think.

Update:  Planar Prison completed, got no stronghold out of it.  Shouldn't've, either, so that was good.  That bit before entering the prison itself is still odd, though.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2005, 01:06:17 PM by MO »

Ding0

Re: Mummies... n' stuff
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2005, 04:22:34 PM »
The mummies issue is fixed. I've also halved the XP you get for the resurrection method.

XP values are variable, in that the party might still receive the 3000 XP for mummies, or 8000 XP for greater mummies.  The ones found in the crypts of the Graveyard District didn't give any XP, but the mummies found in the undead area of the Unseeing Eye's quest did yield the XP.
Are you sure about this? The other way around would be correct.

I don't believe I touch the second scenario you mention.

The "no valid replies" bug you mention in the other thread is also fixed locally.

Offline MO

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2005, 06:50:44 PM »
It was in the surface crypts that I first noticed that the mummies were doing some odd things, and after I left the tomb, I looked back through the text of the fight.  The first magic missile hit the mummy, but then the mummy flipped into a commoner and left.  Didn't get any experience for that at all.

Having accustomed myself to this sort of behaviour, I went on my merry way until I noticed, in the Undead house just before the Unseeing Eye's lair, that I was, for some reason, receiving XP for flipping mummies into commoners.  I'll go back and verify a little later, but I'm virtually certain that this was what I experienced.

I'm absolutely certain that mummies in both areas (including a greater mummy I found in that area where you get the Gauntlets of Dexterity) were changing into commoners whenever I cast a spell at them.

Incidentally, I like what you've done with the fights.  Not a Tactics-level increase in difficulty, which I found largely irritating since I'm pretty strict in my own play style about not using cheese, but just a little boost in their intelligence to keep me on my toes during the fights.  Nice. :) *thumbs up*

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 08:18:04 PM »
Regarding the bard stronghold, I believe this has always been in the game, whether it was intentional or not. If you betray Raelis and crew to the bounty hunters, the playhouse deed drops and you can do the bard stronghold.

I don't know if it applies to all PCs, to evil PCs, or to evil thief PCs, having heard it a few different ways. I also don't know if it modifies "playerhasstronghold."

Regarding the mummies, I was wondering what "resurrecting" them meant. I haven't seen it happen yet, but I'll try next time I encounter one.
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline Western Paladin

• You're not fooling me, 'cause I can see, the way you shake and shiver.
  • Planewalker
  • Jeepers!
    • Gibberlings Three
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 11:44:20 PM »
Actually, I found the possibility to "resurrect" mummies to be very helpful during the Book of Kaza and Nether Scroll quests. My new evil party came there quite early, got smacked around by the undead in the room with the Egyptian floor, then got Viconia level-drained by a Wraith. So, I really wasn't feeling up for another fight, but Edwin could remove the mummy with one of his last magic missiles.

(Yes, I suppose I could have left, run to the Temple of Oghma, and come back. But I was impatient.)
"What was that? I couldn't hear you over the STREET JUSTICE!"
-- Stan Smith, American Dad!

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: