Author Topic: The Jerry Zinger Show has been released!  (Read 25279 times)

Ding0

Re: The Jerry Zinger Show has been released!
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2005, 12:52:18 PM »
From what I can see, the only reason you've given for not wanting other people to work on joke mods is that you prefer other types of mods.
Then you're not looking closely enough, because I've already mentioned their insuitability for BG2, their destruction of the immersion, and their lack of staying power. If you don't like those reasons, then fine, I don't like your explanations of why I should restrain my posting much either. Either way, you're trying to enforce your views on how things should be done every bit as much as I am. I don't have a problem with that, but you're normally the first to call out hypocrisy.

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2005, 12:54:34 PM »
For a game in which convincing immersion into the fictional world is paramount, there certainly seems to be a very strong case to suggest that a mod which adds sensible, believable content is superior to one which shatters this vital effect to achieve a few laughs. You can moan about hypocrisy or snobbery as much as you like, but it won't change the fact that if you think the best thing to add to BG2 is wall-breaking comedy then you're probably modding the wrong game. I'm sure a Chinchilla NPC might fit very nicely into Monkey Island (which I've never played), but in the case of BG2, it'd be a travesty.
Agreed. Were it a Donahue mod, however, you'd be on your own.

And I see Seifer's seen fit to point people to this thread before the vote in the poll I started on Studios. I can only conclude that he's slightly worried about what the outcome would be if people don't see what meanies we are here.
I'm probably missing the magical context, but it looks completely unwarranted to me.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2005, 12:56:41 PM »
I think "messed psyche" comment was an insult, smiley or not. This I can see, even if I indeed do not see very well.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2005, 12:59:45 PM »
Then you're not looking closely enough, because I've already mentioned their insuitability for BG2, their destruction of the immersion, and their lack of staying power.

Those are all reasons why you prefer other types of mods, not reasons for other people to work on other types of mods.

If someone has made a mod which you feel isn't immerisive or suitable for the game, it seems reasonable to assume the author either feels his mod *is* immersive and suitable for the game, or doesn't mind that it's not immersive or suitable for the game.  Siimilarly, if someone makes a mod which people are only likely to ever play through once, there's a good chance they already realize that fact and don't mind in the slightest.  Obviously I can't speak for anyone else, but someone pointing out things I already know is unlikely to change my opinion.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 01:05:43 PM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline devSin

• Planewalker
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2005, 01:03:37 PM »
I think "messed psyche" comment was an insult, smiley or not. This I can see, even if I indeed do not see very well.
You have to speak around them, else you risk getting sucked into the vortex. Just make sure you direct your responses off into the ether, refraining from directly addressing anyone involved, and you should be safe. Don't bother scheduling that appointment with the optometrist.

I usually take the SimSide in these matters, so I don't do a lot of posting.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2005, 01:04:35 PM »
Thanks, devSin! :) (it was a grateful smiley) I'd do it, I guess.

Ding0

« Reply #56 on: October 12, 2005, 02:14:26 PM »
Those are all reasons why you prefer other types of mods, not reasons for other people to work on other types of mods.
If a mod's released to the public, I'd say "people dislike it" is a pretty compelling reason for the author to reconsider his or her stance on it. (This is where you try the "you should mod for your own satisfaction" argument again, but consider once more my earlier assertion that joke mods are clearly intended to provke a response from the player.) Even setting that aside, "lack of staying power" is clearly a proposed characteristic of the type of mod rather than my personal opinion on anything particular.

If someone has made a mod which you feel isn't immerisive or suitable for the game, it seems reasonable to assume the author either feels his mod *is* immersive and suitable for the game, or doesn't mind that it's not immersive or suitable for the game.
And similarly, if I make a post that you feel is useless, it seems resaonable to assume that I either feel it is useful, or I don't mind if it's not. I'll play my "same difference" card again to this one. Really, you're going to have to back down on one of these issues. :)

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #57 on: October 12, 2005, 02:16:14 PM »
But personally I also dislike the aproach: "I've never played or seen/heard part of this mod but I think it's awful cause it's supposed to make people laugh
I have a major problem with this reasoning. It's an argument that's been used since the start of the thread, but it's also essentially meaningless. I don't need to play the mod to identify that it's a fourth wall-breaking humour mod. Not dissimilarly, I haven't tried sleeping with men, but I'm fairly sure I wouldn't like it.
Maybe I didn't put it clearly enough. I very much dislike J.S. talkshow and thus won't play them mod, but it's my personal preference, the mod may have exenllent qualities to be percived by those who "are into this kind of thing. You may not wish to sleep with men but  this does not necesserly mean that it is nice or wise for you to tell people who do that they should not waste time on this. Hope now my meaning is clear.
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Ding0

« Reply #58 on: October 12, 2005, 02:23:18 PM »
You've changed your argument. Previously, you were stating that I shouldn't object to the mod without playing it. Now, you're stating that I shouldn't discourage others from playing it. There's a fundamental difference here, but I'm glad you've reconsidered the first proposal.
It's vaguely entertaining, incidentally, that the people defending the mod here also seem to be conceding that they wouldn't actually play it. (If NiGHTMARE never said this explicitly, then I'm going to hazard a guess that Jerry Springer doesn't appear in canon D&D.)

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #59 on: October 12, 2005, 02:36:59 PM »
You've changed your argument. Previously, you were stating that I shouldn't object to the mod without playing it. Now, you're stating that I shouldn't discourage others from playing it. There's a fundamental difference here, but I'm glad you've reconsidered the first proposal.
It's vaguely entertaining, incidentally, that the people defending the mod here also seem to be conceding that they wouldn't actually play it. (If NiGHTMARE never said this explicitly, then I'm going to hazard a guess that Jerry Springer doesn't appear in canon D&D.)
I never used your stating your opinion without playing it as an argument, I simply wanted to underline that your opionion of the mod is somewhat of a genre protest. As I said in one of the posts on the first page I'm not into this so won't play it, but this does not mean it is awful nor that (especially) it shouldn't have been made. If I wasn't clear, hell it's just me I gotta a fever. BTW it's a historical moment for me, for the first time since coming to the PPG do I disagree with Ding0  :pirate
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2005, 02:49:37 PM »
Would you believe I was attacked from about eight different people when logging in today, all linking me to this topic?

Seriously, eight might have been an overexaggeration but it was still enough for me to find it quite humourous.

In any case, I fully acknowledge people's right to say that my mod is sucky, that I'm sucky and that I could spend my time on something worthwhile instead of having a bit of fun. However, it's my right to be able to disagree with that sentiment. :)

I laughed while brainstorming topics of episodes, I laughed while reading, writing and editing them, I laughed while coding the mod and I laughed while testing it. Do I need any other reason to do something? I also learned quite a lot - and my experimenting with this mod resulted in pioneering modding technique and a few tutorials on various subjects. Is that wasted time?

Humour and laughter is something we've seen rather seldom in the modding community lately, and I would say that this three pages long discussion is proof enough on that we sometimes should "live and let live".

I would also like to direct a personal thank you to Sim for bringing attention to Khadion - the project I now will devote most of my modding time on.

I also find it quite funny that today's posts in this topic comprises 83% of the total amounts of posts today here at PPG. (As of 9.45 PM CET, including my own post).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 02:51:54 PM by SConrad »
sconrad.net

jcompton: "When did the switch flip in your brain that made this make sense to you?"

Spellhold Studios - Where the switch flipped in our brains that made things make sense!

Ding0

« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2005, 02:58:20 PM »
Humour and laughter is something we've seen rather seldom in the modding community lately,
Clearly you missed Mang0's Hip-Hop Mod, which provided all the humour we'll need for the next few years.

Offline Shed

• Planewalker
  • ZOMG!
    • OMGWeRTehFuny
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2005, 03:03:52 PM »
Yes, I completely missed that one too.
Quote from: jcompton
Whatever, man. We'll just see what happens when Seifer and Shed have another attack of "omg we are teh funy".

i love hiphop mods

« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2005, 04:04:17 PM »
Clearly you missed Mang0's Hip-Hop Mod, which provided all the humour we'll need for the next few years.

For real? Can we get some downloading on that?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2005, 05:10:34 PM »

For real? Can we get some downloading on that?

Now what is interesting is that the above post and Sim's were from different IPs. :)

In some vague attempt to be on-topic (and since I've not posted in this thread) I am afraid to say I'm taking the middle ground on this one. I don't know if I will play the mod, given that I don't like Jerry Springer. I personally would (obviously) prefer everyone make mods I'd love to play, but I am not really that fussed by people making joke mods/others I will not play if they want to. As long as it is clearly obvious what the function of the mod is, it's fine.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Grunker

• Planewalker
« Reply #65 on: October 12, 2005, 05:27:23 PM »
Owner of life designated as "SConrad"

<IS>: SConrad.

= Choices made in the life designated as "SConrad" is solely decided by;

<Answer>: SConrad.

NB. I've had to much coffee.

Offline Shed

• Planewalker
  • ZOMG!
    • OMGWeRTehFuny
« Reply #66 on: October 12, 2005, 05:48:26 PM »
Perhaps I should have pointed out that you don't have to like Jerry Springer to like the Jerry Zinger Show.
Quote from: jcompton
Whatever, man. We'll just see what happens when Seifer and Shed have another attack of "omg we are teh funy".

Gamer

« Reply #67 on: October 12, 2005, 05:56:12 PM »
I'm not going to cease posting my opinions [on Studios management], but that doesn't stop you from trying to stop me. Is there some difference here?
They're Facists over there. They edit, delete your posts and probably make posts under your name!

Gamer

« Reply #68 on: October 12, 2005, 05:58:42 PM »
Only those SHS idiots could come up with a mod like this. So much for the great mods that came from the former FW/FWS.

Gamer

« Reply #69 on: October 12, 2005, 06:03:41 PM »
Would you believe I was attacked from about eight different people when logging in today, all linking me to this topic?
Contrary to your own little world, you are not that popular of a person.

In any case, I fully acknowledge people's right to say that my mod is sucky, that I'm sucky and that I could spend my time on something worthwhile instead of having a bit of fun. However, it's my right to be able to disagree with that sentiment. :)
You're right on that you do suck.
I laughed while brainstorming topics of episodes, I laughed while reading, writing and editing them, I laughed while coding the mod and I laughed while testing it. Do I need any other reason to do something? I also learned quite a lot - and my experimenting with this mod resulted in pioneering modding technique and a few tutorials on various subjects. Is that wasted time?

Humour and laughter is something we've seen rather seldom in the modding community lately, and I would say that this three pages long discussion is proof enough on that we sometimes should "live and let live".
Sounds like you are either high or quite insane.  :D

Lurker

« Reply #70 on: October 12, 2005, 06:14:03 PM »
Dictatorship at its best.  :)

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2005, 06:21:30 PM »
A dictator is a single person, and since that thread has seen moderation by two people (neither of whom are the overall leader of ShS), it is thus not an example of dictatorship at all.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 06:23:21 PM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Lurker

« Reply #72 on: October 12, 2005, 06:25:05 PM »
A dictator is a single person, and since that thread has seen moderation by two people (neither of whom are the overall leader of ShS), it is thus not an example of dictatorship at all.
A dictatorship with his henchmen doing his dirty work.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #73 on: October 12, 2005, 06:26:29 PM »
Provide us with proof that Seifer and Shed's actions were at the command of SConrad, and I'll accept that you're correct.

EDIT: Actually, I'll also need proof that SConrad has broken ShS' own rules.  After all, to be a dictator, a person must believe that the law does not apply to him.

EDIT 2: Oh, and you'll also need to prove that ShS staff never do anything which SConrad disapproves of.  A person can't be a dictator if his minions are getting up to things he doesn't want them to.  This will need to be extremely strong proof, since there's already plenty of proof that ShS staff *have* done things SCronad disapproves of (myself included).
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 06:34:06 PM by NiGHTMARE »

Offline Exodus

• 1 half of the omg we are teh funy team
  • Planewalker
  • Redhead
« Reply #74 on: October 12, 2005, 06:34:00 PM »
We edited a post and reacted to deliberate provocation.

Now we all suck, we're all facists, dictators and do "dirty work" for each other.

What comments are worse on what forum?

Christ guys, we made a mod.  If you don't like it fine.  At least quantify it.  Objections such as "you should have done this, worked on that etc" are just lame.  And now, mud slinging and name calling?  I love the irony that if the intensity of the mod criticism was actually directed into, you know, making a mod it'll be done in no time.

And if our guest does have a comment, please call me Komrad Stevroski.

Goes with the image.

8)
Public Warning - Seifer is one half of the crack elite team recognised by JC as the "omg we are teh funy" team!  You have been warned!

http://www.omgwearetehfuny.net

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: