Author Topic: The Jerry Zinger Show has been released!  (Read 25280 times)

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
The Jerry Zinger Show has been released!
« on: October 10, 2005, 06:25:00 PM »

(http://www.81x.com/Authors/Plasmocat/Cute_Stuff/woohoo.gif)

The Jerry Zinger Show allows the PC and his companions to view (and take part in) the live talk show of Jerry Zinger, well known Amnish celebrity! Shows are daily, and executed largely by cutscenes.

The Jerry Zinger Show is the first Baldur's Gate II mod ever to include a brand new movie, created from scratch, which installs flawlessly.

The mod features:
  • Comprehensive Voicing
  • Unique Movie
  • A New area
  • The very latest in WeiDU coding
  • Nine laugh out loud episodes

Mod Info - Readme - Mod Forum - Download
sconrad.net

jcompton: "When did the switch flip in your brain that made this make sense to you?"

Spellhold Studios - Where the switch flipped in our brains that made things make sense!

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: The Jerry Zinger Show has been released!
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2005, 07:51:03 PM »
[drunk]

How much time did you guys waste making such a worthless mod?

This is a sad and/or sucky day in IE modding.

Edit: WAY TOO RUIN MY THANKSGIVING.

[/ddrunk]
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2005, 09:54:33 PM »
[drunk]

This is a sad and/or sucky day in IE modding.

Edit: WAY TOO RUIN MY THANKSGIVING.

[/ddrunk]

Posterity was here.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Jyzabyl

• A Blather Sister
  • Planewalker
  • I'm smarter than I type.
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2005, 11:14:32 PM »
Well done Ghreyfain!

I do hope this means that you will stop venting your Moral Outrage at the quality of Moderators elsewhere!
But I have a left shoulder-blade that is a miracle of loveliness.  People come miles to see it.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2005, 11:45:03 PM »
They're free to make jokes about mods I've made without being censored, if that's what you're getting at.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Exodus

• 1 half of the omg we are teh funy team
  • Planewalker
  • Redhead
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2005, 04:01:05 AM »
Have you been censored as I can't recall?

They're free to make jokes about mods I've made without being censored, if that's what you're getting at.
Public Warning - Seifer is one half of the crack elite team recognised by JC as the "omg we are teh funy" team!  You have been warned!

http://www.omgwearetehfuny.net

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2005, 04:13:36 AM »
Oh, no. Not another thread with a starting post then 999 discussing a comment made by someone...
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Exodus

• Planewalker
  • Redhead
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2005, 04:47:08 AM »
Typically I'd agree.  I don't see anything wrong with the mod though, it ranks up there with Goo in terms of originality and humour.

Tis new at least, which I just hope people will see.  Objecting to it is all fair and well but at least give a quantifiable reason as opposed to "your mod sucks."
Public Warning - Seifer is one half of the crack elite team recognised by JC as the "omg we are teh funy" team!  You have been warned!

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2005, 04:54:40 AM »
I'm not saying you should not dispute the comment you don't agree with, probably you should, i'm just saying that too often things take such a turn (i.e. the matter at hand gets drowned in some argument)
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Offline SConrad

• Spellhold Director
  • Planewalker
  • WeiDU (ab)user
    • Spellhold Studios
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2005, 05:24:11 AM »

Pray tell why it's worthless, mr Fain, and how you arrived to the sentiment. Did you play it through only to find that it's completely horrible, or did you just look at the name of the mod and the name of the authors before jumping to the conclusion?
sconrad.net

jcompton: "When did the switch flip in your brain that made this make sense to you?"

Spellhold Studios - Where the switch flipped in our brains that made things make sense!

Ding0

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2005, 07:29:42 AM »
Typically I'd agree.  I don't see anything wrong with the mod though, it ranks up there with Goo in terms of originality and humour.
Goo was a brief project which served as an example of NPC development. This is a project spanning months which serves as [please insert coins].

Did you play it through only to find that it's completely horrible, or did you just look at the name of the mod and the name of the authors before jumping to the conclusion?
At a wild guess, I'd say it might be something to do with the fact that you've made a mod based on Jerry Springer. :)

Also, I found a typo:
Nine laugh out loud episodes
I believe you mean "Nine LOL episodes".

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2005, 07:41:00 AM »
Wouldn't Cloakwood Squares be a better analogy than Goo?
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Exodus

• Planewalker
  • Redhead
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2005, 08:41:38 AM »
There hasn't been too many objections thus far (namely, two) and the forum is (and has been) there for any objections/criticisms to be made.

Pity you'd not chose to look at the positives.  It's a good sign that PPG & SHS have released a mod each recently.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2005, 10:57:59 AM »
...or did you just look at the name of the mod and the name of the authors before jumping to the conclusion?

On the contrary, it saddened me to see things like "the first Baldur's Gate II mod ever to include a brand new movie" as being associated with a mod that, really, who's going to want to play beyond a quick glance?  With all the time you spent developing this mod, what other great works could you have made that people would've actually wanted to play?  I think you owe me like two Tutu quests and a shop, at the very least.

Typically I'd agree. I don't see anything wrong with the mod though, it ranks up there with Goo in terms of originality and humour.

Goo is terrible, and when people ask me to update him with new weapons or something, I laugh (at them or with them, sometimes both).  I tinkered with him until I knew how the ropes of NPC creation worked, more or less, then forgot all about him.

I only ever played that one once, too.  As an exercise in modding skills, sure, it's great.  Last I heard, though, Conrad and Shed were already competent, and I'd prefer to be able to play--pardon my french--RAEL MODZ.

All that said, perhaps this was a good exercise in learning to do new things (the movie, for instance).  If that's the case, I guess that's cool.  As for merit on the playability scale, it's a joke mod, to be relegated to the Bin of Smelly Mods That Smell with the likes of the Turnip Golem and Goo.

Oh, and don't worry, you didn't actually ruin my thanksgiving. :)
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Shed

• Planewalker
  • ZOMG!
    • OMGWeRTehFuny
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2005, 01:27:02 PM »
All that said, perhaps this was a good exercise in learning to do new things (the movie, for instance).  If that's the case, I guess that's cool.
Well, at least you admit it's not totally useless ;). It was fun to make and speaking for myself, I learnt some things along the way.

As for merit on the playability scale, it's a joke mod, to be relegated to the Bin of Smelly Mods That Smell with the likes of the Turnip Golem and Goo.
Don't worry. I'm sure some will find it funny.

Oh, and don't worry, you didn't actually ruin my thanksgiving. :)
Good to hear :).
Quote from: jcompton
Whatever, man. We'll just see what happens when Seifer and Shed have another attack of "omg we are teh funy".

Ding0

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2005, 02:29:30 PM »
and the forum is (and has been) there for any objections/criticisms to be made.
The problem is, when we come to ShS and post our thoughts, we're frequently told to take them elsewhere, with the result that nobody's really quite sure where we're supposed to be putting this stuff.

Offline glain

• Got Shirt?
  • Planewalker
  • "Comptonette #1" and Resident Neurosurgeon
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2005, 03:34:31 PM »
Granted I haven't actually played the mod yet, but I did listen to the OGG files and they sounded quite good. 

Joke mod or not these guys did put some time and effort into it, plus I'm sure they had a great time whilst they did it.

We all need a few laughs these days... don't we?!  :P

* glain runs and hides while someone yells, "She's a witch! Burn her!"
Beware the evil behind the smiling eyes...

Offline Loriel

• Planewalker
    • Loriel's Downloads
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2005, 07:00:19 PM »
I'm just checking to see if you weigh the same as a duck...

gamer

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2005, 07:28:32 PM »
This is one of those suck ass mods yes? How lame can you get, really?

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2005, 07:31:51 PM »
At a wild guess, I'd say it might be something to do with the fact that you've made a mod based on Jerry Springer. :)

I've been horrified since the concept first appeared. I completely loathe Jerry Springer and talk shows of that ilk. Hell, I hate watching Oprah! Imagining Jerry Springer-style cutscenes within BG2 is just repulsive to me, so I won't be giving this project a spin around the block like I typically do with NPCs and quests.

Joke mods have their place, but a big distinction here is things like Cloakwood Squares and the Bruce mods were done over a day or two, not months. I think it's unfortunate that all that effort wasn't put towards one of the Studios NPC projects yet to be released. If you had fun making it, good -- that's a major reason to make any mod. From a potential player's standpoint, though, this isn't my idea of fun.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2005, 01:54:18 AM »
Now I also hate Jerry Springer, so I haven't tried this mod... but I do believe we need more "joke" mods, especially with some effort put into them, not those 1 day ones. Several people here seem to suggest that spending few months on a joke mod is not a good idea... why? Are you saying only "serious" stuff can be done seriously ;)? Are you saying Terry Pratchett wasted his life away? :'(

Offline Shed

• Planewalker
  • ZOMG!
    • OMGWeRTehFuny
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2005, 04:21:13 AM »
It's obviously a point for debate, but I just don't believe that a joke mod is inherently worse than any other type, regardless of the way it's put together, and its content. I think it's a bit sad to condemn this mod on the concept without taking the time to play it.

Ronnie Barker once said "It's better to make people laugh than cry", and I feel sure he had some kind of point.
Quote from: jcompton
Whatever, man. We'll just see what happens when Seifer and Shed have another attack of "omg we are teh funy".

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2005, 06:12:02 AM »
So if someone's intention is to make you laugh, they're wasting their time, eh? Try telling that to the creators of the Monkey Island games (the first two of which are widely regarded as two of the best games ever made), <insert your favourite comedian here>, anyone who's ever written a humourous fanfic, etc, etc.

I could make suggestions for numerous activities certain members of the community should stop doing in favour of spending more time working on their mods.  However, I won't, since their life is their life, and thus what they get up to is entirely up to them.   If someone makes a mod, most likely they *want* to make that mod, and no other member of the community has any right whatsoever to say what they should or should not be doing.  It's unlikely that the apparent "mod snobbery" being perpetrated in this thread is going to change their minds either.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2005, 06:14:39 AM by NiGHTMARE »
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Ding0

« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2005, 09:14:55 AM »
For a game in which convincing immersion into the fictional world is paramount, there certainly seems to be a very strong case to suggest that a mod which adds sensible, believable content is superior to one which shatters this vital effect to achieve a few laughs. You can moan about hypocrisy or snobbery as much as you like, but it won't change the fact that if you think the best thing to add to BG2 is wall-breaking comedy then you're probably modding the wrong game. I'm sure a Chinchilla NPC might fit very nicely into Monkey Island (which I've never played), but in the case of BG2, it'd be a travesty.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2005, 10:04:33 AM »
Remember that not everyone plays the game for its immersion factor.

So, do you think everyone who's ever written a humorous BG2-related fanfic has wasted their time too? That's a *lot* of people! :P

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: