Author Topic: So, can the pool bring in Fitz too?  (Read 49910 times)

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
So, can the pool bring in Fitz too?
« on: October 03, 2005, 06:48:32 PM »
I would very much like to see him around, since we can have Chade.  :pirate
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: So, can the pool bring in Fitz too?
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2005, 07:02:49 PM »
Who and who?
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2005, 07:04:19 PM »
It's a reference to the Gorion portrait we chose from the Assassin's Apprentice cover art.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

domi_s

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2005, 09:05:53 AM »
So, will you comment on the copy-right aspect of it and the game-breaking familiarity of the image, or let it be?

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2005, 09:53:19 AM »
It's a copyright violation. I'm sorry it's familiar to you.

How's that?
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

domi_s

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2005, 10:17:03 AM »
Sounds about right. So, when you guys are going to repalce this mighty irritant to the author who expilcetly forbids even fanfiction for her books in your mod with a flawless choice? Oh, yep, this is like my #2 post on this subject and you did not yet taken any measures!!!! What an obvious failure to accept constructive crititsism! What a complete way to ignore negative feedback!!!

domi_s

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2005, 10:21:17 AM »
Oh, forgot to add: What a horrible, horrible mod! Not only it breaks the fourth wall by substituting Gorion with Chade, it's also has Tiax and Dynaheir speaking absolutely out of character!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2005, 10:31:00 AM »
Last I checked, Gorion has no official portrait to "substitute."

As a friendly reminder, if you're having a bad morning and feel the need to vent, you might want to log in rather than guest post, because that way you can go back and edit your posts later.

domi_s

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2005, 10:47:53 AM »
Trolling while logged in? What blasphemy is that?! Gorion does have an original portrait, in the opening movie of BG2.

The point is, that the portrait you are using is firmly and unequivocably Chade, form a book cover, no less, thus substtituting Gorion with Chade. And this is my logic, and it is the rightest one!

domi_s

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2005, 10:48:52 AM »
Plus, it increases the post count! I am shooting for at least 200 posts on the topic of this major deficiency!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2005, 11:21:53 AM »
Gorion does have an original portrait, in the opening movie of BG2.

There is a line art profile of him, yes, but that's not really suitable for our purposes.

domi_s

« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2005, 11:28:11 AM »
Unless there is an artist in the community who can turn the line art into BG style portrait. But honestly, can't you procure a portrait for Gorion that is not a book cover art, especially for a character that has little at all in common with Gorion and written by a person who is extremely fastidious about her proprietary rights? Unless, of course, in your interpretation Gorion is a scarred assassin-master and a bastard brother to a king and PC is his by-blow nephew or a hapless Queen's lady-in-waiting?

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2005, 11:33:42 AM »
The odds that Lindholm owns the rights to that portrait are pretty slim, Domi. Far more likely it's in the hands of the artist or the publisher. Furthermore, we found it on several BG2 portrait sites--so "fastidiousness" has not yet seemed to be a problem where BG2 use is concerned. Although it is not the way I normally like to do things, it fit basically all of my requirements for Turnabout, and so I used it with credit given to the artist since we were lucky enough to stumble across that information.

And by your reasoning, we could just as easily discuss why you are not using character themes which don't invoke Star Trek, Fallout, Star Wars, etc. But I would find that boring, so let's not.

domi_s

« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2005, 12:10:04 PM »
it fit basically all of my requirements for Turnabout

What, it being Chade is a requirement for Turnabout? There is a difference between using it for your own personal character and slapping a known 'canon' image of character on another 'canon' character. If that pool tells me that I summpned Gorion, and I go: "Eh... Chade? What ther hell are you doing here?!"

With music we have 0 choice - as far as I know there are exactly 0 people in the community who can orchestrate an instrumental piece in BG style. There are at least 2 I know of who do original art, and many, many more who do portrait editing. Are you telling me that PPG cannot come up with one person to do one original portrait for Gorion?

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2005, 12:56:58 PM »
it's also has Tiax [...] speaking absolutely out of character!
I like Andyr's writing personally.

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2005, 01:08:07 PM »
I think it's sad that bearing in mind Domi's been trying to bait PPG for absolutely ages, *this* is actually the best thing she's come up with in the mod criticism department. Personally, I'd find it very reassuring for the overally quality of the mods here.

domi_s

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2005, 01:13:28 PM »
I like Andyr's writing personally.

So do I, usually. But I agree with Kulyok's remark that Tiax sounded out of character.

I think it's sad that bearing in mind Domi's been trying to bait PPG for absolutely ages, *this* is actually the best thing she's come up with in the mod criticism department. Personally, I'd find it very reassuring for the overally quality of the mods here.

Domi had never been baiting PPG, she just found something that jumped into the person's eye on PPG's homepage. I am not the one to dig in the TRAs. So, I decided to return the favor and provide constructive critisism in 200 volumes. Such as Gorion is not Chade and it is entirely hilareous giving the nature of petty nit-picks that PPG allows themselves to blow out of proportion in other people's mods that they would clung to such an obvious and glaring flaw.

domi_s

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2005, 01:17:09 PM »
oh! And I happen to be a big fan of Robin Hobb's Farseers series.  ;)

domi_s

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2005, 01:23:34 PM »
And I restate my request, since Chade is in, I want Fitz importable into ToB as well. Or Fool, why, Fool would even fit the concept even better!

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2005, 01:28:02 PM »
Such as Gorion is not Chade and it is entirely hilareous giving the nature of petty nit-picks that PPG allows themselves to blow out of proportion in other people's mods that they would clung to such an obvious and glaring flaw.
For somebody who claims not to be baiting PPG, you seem to have an awful lot of issues with them. Jealous of jcompton's writing, probably.

And I restate my request, since Chade is in, I want Fitz importable into ToB as well. Or Fool, why, Fool would even fit the concept even better!
I think some forums I know would delete your posts and ban you from posting for such an off-topic remark.

domi_s

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2005, 01:32:13 PM »
For somebody who claims not to be baiting PPG, you seem to have an awful lot of issues with them. Jealous of jcompton's writing, probably.

Actually, nope. I have little problems with Compton's writing, but I also do not envy his style. I envy the writing of two people: GRR Martin and GG Kay in fantasy world.

My issue with PPG had always been but one: SimDing0's horrible attack on BG1NPC last spring that left me with a lasting trauma. So, I am checking how hypocritical they are and if they can take it themselves.

domi_s

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2005, 01:35:44 PM »
I think some forums I know would delete your posts and ban you from posting for such an off-topic remark.

Ah, it hurts! That's so ON topic! Fool comes from the same book that Chade is, and since Chade is in... I think Fool would have been better: he was a character who after horrible tortures died, hiding his soul in a Rooster Crown and then was ressurected by Fitz. Plus, he was a prophet... and liked saving the slaves. Very Bg-ish. Very much Turnabout-ish and Assencion-ish.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2005, 01:39:15 PM »
SimDing0's horrible attack on BG1NPC
For the casual observer, the "horrible attack" mainly involved my discouraging future modders from adopting Domi's cherished project management model. She then invited me to kill myself in various unpleasent ways. (I actually felt guilty at the time, since she did seem quite upset, but evidently it has to be milked for all it's worth now.)

So, I am checking how hypocritical they are and if they can take it themselves.
Well, if you're hoping that mod criticism will actually annoy me (and good luck), a good start would be to look at the content I actually produced. You could try one of the forums where I invite people to post their negative opinions at length.

Jealous of jcompton's writing, probably.
I don't think Domi is likely to be jealous. She's always been happy with her own sacred interpretations of character. But I should stop being mean. We've done some modding, so let's be pleased with that! Who's enjoying Turnabout?

domi_s

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2005, 01:46:36 PM »
For the casual observer, the "horrible attack" mainly involved my discouraging future modders from adopting Domi's cherished project management model.

Do finish the sentnce, Sim: by trashing years and years of dedicated work by that very Domi based on a couple sentences pulled out of context and being petulant about having to talk to Theodur about his character. And yep, I had been on tranquilizers after that, for the first time after I had to face the collapse of my country in 1998. And I never, ever heard you say 'sorry.' In fact you appeared to be gloating over it.

Well, if you're hoping that mod criticism will actually annoy me (and good luck), a good start would be to look at the content I actually produced. You could try one of the forums where I invite people to post their negative opinions at length.

Unfortunately, your mods are highly non-interesting to me and I have no desire to pick through TRAs to find something to post under the big capital OMG! as if it really bothers me.

But that portrait, that portrait put on the front page next to Yoshimo and a saucy wench... it's just so... wrong and so obvious. It's like that TDD map someone metioned that had "Beregost" pillar in the middle of it.

domi_s

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2005, 01:57:29 PM »
So, I am electing this portrait to become my soap box, onto which I am going to jump JC-like and start speaking about the sloppiness and lack of artistical talent on PPG every time I see the most minute chance to worm it in. I am not going to enjoy it, for sure, but I do so hate seeing Chade's face in Gorion's stead.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: