Author Topic: Candidates for SpellNerf  (Read 7666 times)

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
Candidates for SpellNerf
« on: September 19, 2005, 12:45:21 AM »
Well I think SpellNerf is pretty nicely sorted out ;) Working well. The basics of it is as follows

The Script detects when a party member casts a "blacklisted" spell, and applies penalties accordingly to the casting character. All of the following effects last for 8 hours, except the Stun, so a Rest should get rid of them.

Here's what happens, roughly
1) Max HP set to 80%
2) Max HP set to 60%
3) Max HP set to 40%
4) Max HP set to 20%
5) Max HP set to 1, Current HP reduced to 1, Stun/Sleep 40 seconds
6) SPLAT! Die.

The only real question left is of course, what spells would fall under a "blacklisted" category.
I have my own ideas and views, such as Time Stop, Dragons Breath, Improved Alacrity etc being candidates, but it would be nice to know what other spells to "impose" a penalty for.

"Spells" that can be "caught" in the drag net aren't just limited to Mage Spells. They can be Cleric spells, Cleric HLAs, even Thief HLAs ike Spike Trap, or Warrior's GWW. So yeah, just feel free to add your suggestions :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2005, 12:49:57 AM by Zyraen »
(http://www.geocities.com/arkevaul/btlbn2.gif)
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, & more

Offline Fantasy

• Planewalker
Re: Candidates for SpellNerf
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2005, 10:54:27 AM »
Well, apart from those spells I would say that simulacrum and project image *have* to be part of it. Otherwise it will be too easy to let them cast those high level 'black list' spells without suffering yourself. ;)

I'll think about some others later, but it's difficult to look at it objective, seeing as how I love spells. ;) ;D

Greetings. :)

Kalindor

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2005, 03:34:57 PM »
This is a good way to balance spells out a bit. It would make you think twice before shooting off a long line of HLA spells and Horrid Wiltings. You should but some sort of descriptor in the spell descriptions, however. Something like Guild Wars's "This spell causes exhaustion." The thing about exhuastion, however, is that there are some spells that are too powerful for their level only. This does not mean that they are more powerful than Abi-Dalzim's Horrid Wilting or Time Stop. For example, everyone knows that Magic Missile is simply better than Shocking Grasp or Larloch's Minor Drain at lvl 9+. Does this mean that magic missile should cause exhaustion? Or should it cause exhaustion for characters who fall into a certain level range? Or should it be made a level 2 spell? Or should its power be reduced to, say, 2 or 3 magic missiles? While the SpellNerf idea as it stands will do much to balance level 8+ spells with one another, it will not fix balance issues with lower level spells unless extra provisions are made for them.

Offline Zyraen

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2005, 01:04:25 AM »
Heh I assume Abi Dalzim's has been "volunteered" into the list, lol. As well as Simulacrum and Project Image.

Meantime, I've checked and noted that CastSpell([PC], (spell from Spells.ids) ) doesn't actually work for ALL of the spells listed. For eg, it doesn't seem to be able to catch my casting of Dragons Breath. I'm not sure if this might apply to other spells as well, but at this rate I'll probably release a Beta version of SpellNerf (and maybe for other components) with the next update to this pack.
(http://www.geocities.com/arkevaul/btlbn2.gif)
SoA Release - Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, & more

Offline Fantasy

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2005, 06:47:41 AM »
Okay, after some thinking I've come up with the spells below as possible candidates. It would absolutely make my life as a mage miserable, but if you want to make things more challenging with the spells...  ::)

Mage:
Khelben's Warding Whip
Project image
Mordenkainen's sword
Incendiary cloud
Simulacrum
Symbol Stun (perhaps, don't use it that often)
Every level 9 spell.

Cleric/Druid:
Insect plague (I'm doubting about this one since it's level 5, yet it's also very powerful if you use it at the beginning of a fight)
Heal
Bolt of glory
Wondrous recall
Fire Storm
(Earthquake could be possible, but since it also damages party members it's not used that often...)
Symbol Stun (perhaps, don't use it that often)
Storm of Vengeance
Summon (Fallen) Deva
Mass Raise Dead
Implosion

Others:
Spike Trap
Greater Whirlwind Attack
Assassination
Greater Evasion
Greater Deathblow

Well, those are my current candidates. :) I'm aware that it looks like there are more cleric spells on the black list than mage spells, but there are a lot of level 9 spells and I didn't feel like mentioning all of them.  ;)

Greetings. :D

Offline yarpen

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 02:36:49 AM »
What do you think about that change for raise dead spells:

It got's 20% +5%/2 lvl chance to ressurect death. If that throw fail, character will death absolutly (impossible to raise).

But if ressurect, he's got per next 8 hours -4 to all atributes.

hm?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: