Author Topic: I am interested in any and all criticism!  (Read 120573 times)

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
I am interested in any and all criticism!
« on: August 08, 2005, 03:20:25 PM »
Players' thoughts are welcome! Given the growing tension around criticism of mods in some communities (although I haven't noticed any such problems here at PPG), I feel it's worth clarifying that:

- You do not need permission to comment on my mods, although I'd be appreciative if you could inform me if you've posted any off-forum criticism that I haven't seen. That's not to say I need to hear every time somebody says "don't bother playing any of Ding0's mods", but multi-page criticisms of Improved Goodberries, I'd like to read.

- Criticism does not have to be nice. If you really, seriously, hated something I've done, then I'd like to know why. Speak your mind, however negative it may be-- so long as there's some reasoning behind your opinion, that's fine.

- Disagreeing with me is welcome. No decision I make is final, so if you feel you have something to add to an argument, go ahead and post it. I don't guarantee that I'll agree with your proposal, but I'm always ready for a good fresh discussion.

- Argument does not have to take place in private. The forum's here for a reason. Sure, if you're shy or whatever, I'll be just as glad to speak in PM or e-mail, but a public discussion gives more people the opportunity to voice their views, so I encourage this where possible.

I hope that's cleared up any doubts about etiquette here. Thanks to Domi for suggesting this post, and thanks to anybody providing feedback.

Offline Hide and Seek

• The one who wields the Blackrazor
  • Planewalker
  • I always begin my day with a good backstab.
Re: I am interested in any and all criticism!
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2005, 03:29:07 PM »
What goes wrong? I tried to download version 2 from the first link and it opened up and were extracted just fine in the right folder, but when I tried to run the setup.exe, it was only the normal components that was there: the thieves guild, the harper guild and the moneylender.

Have I missed something important again? I knew I should learn to take more notice. ???
Favourite Quotes from BG2
Minsc: Minsc will lead with blade and boot! Boo will take care of the details.
Saemon: Pardon?
Aerie: This is gonna hurt you ALOT more than me!
Sarevok: Now I return the favor!
Drizzt: Yes, yes, you have my attention.
Lilarcor: And this one's for Grandma, who said I would never amount to anything more than a butterknife!

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2005, 04:01:24 PM »
I'd hazard a guess that you're still trying to run setup-d0quest.exe. The new version uses setup-questpack.exe for the installer.

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2005, 08:17:36 PM »
I was recently hit by a Feeblemind Spell.

So what to do? Must I change something?
Lilarcor: And this one's for Grandma, who said I would never amount to anything more than a butterknife!

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2005, 09:09:24 AM »
The installer should automatically be running setup-d0questpack.exe when it terminates. If it doesn't, run it manually. This should be mentioned in the readme.

g8estposter

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2005, 10:35:54 AM »
questpack crashed mye HDD omg :=((

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2005, 04:39:07 PM »
I don't know if this counts as criticism, but my lawful good Monk was changed to a Chaotic Neutral after the installing.
Why is that?

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2005, 06:04:15 PM »
There's no conceivable way that Quest Pack could cause this. I was inclined to say it could be Virtue until I noted that the change was from Lawful Good to Chaotic Neutral, which once again isn't possible. As I recall, the Imoen Romance included a feature that would turn characters CN for no apparent reason. That's the only explanation I can suggest. If you're positive QP is causing it, e-mail me the savegame prior to installation in which the effect occurs.

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2005, 06:16:40 PM »
I am not utterly sure the Quest Pack is behind it, but it happend after that I had installed V2. I don't have the Imoen romance installed, I sacrificed it gladly in favor for the flirtpacks.

I shall play a new game, and see what happends.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2005, 06:25:12 AM »
Out of interest, were you in the ToB part of the game when it occured?

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2005, 06:35:17 AM »
Nope, didn't get that far. I was in the Planar Sphere (after Underdark) when I discovered it.
No matter, I uninstalled the romance, (didn't like it interfering with flirt packs) and I continue as usual.

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005, 07:15:51 AM »
I have a bone to pick with you Sim. You see due to your new quest pack I'm playing BG2 again, leaving other games unfinished. How could you do such a great work? I hope it won't happen again, will it?
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline Antignition

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2005, 12:50:13 PM »
I'm upset that i can't tell what's been added and whats been originally there or added by UB without checking the readme's.  It assimilates too well into the damn game in my opinion.

Offline Silk

• Lurker First Class
  • Planewalker
  • A cat of many colours
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005, 07:29:05 AM »
and that's a problem?
"Some say that our destinies may be read in the stars, that the plans of the gods are revealed to those who but know where to look.  They speak it true but their location is false, for I have seen my destiny shining in your eyes" (Anomen, PPG NPC Flirt Pack)

"You know you're tired when you get up from the desk and the headset's still around your neck"

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2005, 10:03:43 AM »
I have just played through BG: Soa with the Quest Pack, and only three things bugged me.

1) Firkraags Tooth - What's to do with it?
2) Trouble with the Shadow Thieves - "Edwin has nothing to say to you" *SOLVED*
3) Character voices getting "thicker" after meeting Reynald in the Graveyard at Chapter 6. *NOT A PROBLEM*

Other than that, no problems so far. No crashes, no errors in the game. Everything works perfect.
Although, the game still slows down when a Dragon comes into view, but can't expect everything to work, can I?
Good mod. I hope the Oasis 2 will be more a challenge than before.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2005, 11:07:12 AM »
I have a bone to pick with you Sim. You see due to your new quest pack I'm playing BG2 again, leaving other games unfinished. How could you do such a great work? I hope it won't happen again, will it?
Sorry.

I'm upset that i can't tell what's been added and whats been originally there or added by UB without checking the readme's. It assimilates too well into the damn game in my opinion.
Are you thinking of UB or Quest Pack? (I'd hope both!) Either way, thanks.

No idea. It's not from Quest Pack.

2) Trouble with the Shadow Thieves - "Edwin has nothing to say to you" *SOLVED*
At what point does he have nothing to say?

3) Character voices getting "thicker" after meeting Reynald in the Graveyard at Chapter 6. *NOT A PROBLEM*
You mean Reynald's voice changes, or the game's sound goes wrong somehow?

Although, the game still slows down when a Dragon comes into view, but can't expect everything to work, can I?
I haven't touched dragon behaviour (yet), so this probably isn't anything from QP either.

Good mod. I hope the Oasis 2 will be more a challenge than before.
It's distinctly more challenging than the Tactics version, yes.

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2005, 11:24:32 AM »
At what point does he have nothing to say?
When you meet him, he doesn't give his common "Greetings, I'm Edwin Odesseirion" greeting, instead he jumps directly to the part where he offers his assistance to bring down Mae'Var. If you accept, he joins up, and I guess you would have to go and get the evidence, but then Renal is gone, and another guy stands there. If you don't accept him, then he has nothing to say to you. There was a way CLUAConsonole should have solved it, but it didn't work for me. Anyway, I go to Aran instead, so I can at least finish the quest. I don't know if this problem is related to the new quest pack or the old one.

You mean Reynald's voice changes, or the game's sound goes wrong somehow?
The soundsets of the characters (Imoen sounds really odd, and Minsc is not to be forgotten) slows down. Anyway, I restart the game again, and then it works like normally. The trouble seems to be connected to Reynalds dialogues, but it is not a biggie.

I haven't touched dragon behaviour (yet), so this probably isn't anything from QP either.

Sorry, this was not intended to be connected to the Quest Pack in any way. The fault here is mine, and mine only.
My computer is old.  :-\
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 11:27:08 AM by Rama »

Offline Antignition

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2005, 02:31:53 PM »
and that's a problem?

That was meant as a joke.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2005, 06:32:04 PM »
I don't know if this problem is related to the new quest pack or the old one.
Hmm, does that mean you have both installed at the same time? Don't Do That! (TM) :)
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2005, 07:07:15 PM »
When you meet him, he doesn't give his common "Greetings, I'm Edwin Odesseirion" greeting, instead he jumps directly to the part where he offers his assistance to bring down Mae'Var. If you accept, he joins up, and I guess you would have to go and get the evidence, but then Renal is gone, and another guy stands there. If you don't accept him, then he has nothing to say to you. There was a way CLUAConsonole should have solved it, but it didn't work for me. Anyway, I go to Aran instead, so I can at least finish the quest. I don't know if this problem is related to the new quest pack or the old one.
I'm having a little trouble following, sorry. Can you provide the exact procedure you went through to get him to this stage? Alternatively, e-mail a savegame in which it occurs to SimDing0@pocketplane.net.
If you're using QP v1, update.

The soundsets of the characters (Imoen sounds really odd, and Minsc is not to be forgotten) slows down. Anyway, I restart the game again, and then it works like normally. The trouble seems to be connected to Reynalds dialogues, but it is not a biggie.
I'm not aware of anything that would cause this. Unless it can be reproduced or somebody else reports the same problem, I'll attribute it to engine fluke.

I don't know if this problem is related to the new quest pack or the old one.
Hmm, does that mean you have both installed at the same time? Don't Do That! (TM) :)
QP2 should uninstall the original version, so I'm hoping this isn't possible.

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2005, 03:04:19 PM »
I don't understand how, but now suddenly things work out again.
*I'm just gonna be quiet from now on*

Although, the voiceproblem appeared again, this time after that I have talked with a Nymph outside De'Arnise Keep who wanted my Acorn Seeds and was willing to pay for them. But perhaps it is just my engine that is faulty.

Offline underdog

• Planewalker
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2005, 03:31:37 PM »
I have just played through BG: Soa with the Quest Pack, and only three things bugged me.

You apparantly have/had Fade installed thats the only time I've aquired firkraags tooth, required part of the romance track.
!lanimret siht edisni deppart ma I !pleH

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2005, 05:17:28 PM »

You apparantly have/had Fade installed thats the only time I've aquired firkraags tooth, required part of the romance track.

Ah, thank you. I have wondered about that thing. Time to find Fade.

flem

« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2005, 02:46:33 AM »
I'm only in Chapter 2.  But aren't the rewards for the loan shark quests a bit... high?  12K/char for the first bit (just chatting the guy up), and about twice that for the child recovery?  I'm not big on xp nerfing, but 5 and 12k/char feel more right (i.e., in line with current quests) to me.

Also, it's a bit curious that my shadow thief connections (got the thief stronghold) don't get me anything on a guy who seems to be encroaching on guild turf.  But maybe this is explained later.

Offline Hide and Seek

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2005, 01:23:51 PM »
Two Questions About Quest Pack.

1) What kind of spell do you have to use to dispel the illusions on the Knights? I have tried True Seeing from a cleric, and True Sight from a Inquisitor. I don't remember if I have tried it from a mage.

2) I installed the Revised Hell Trials, tool all the good - aligned paths when I went through the test. My reward was getting a changed alignment to Lawful Evil? Anyone else who have experienced this bug?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: