Author Topic: An Encounter or Quest to fix the Anomen's Holy Symbol Issue  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Idobek

• Dust Bunny
  • Planewalker
For those that don't know the "Anomen Holy Symbol Issue" is that he gets a Holy Symbol of Lathander when he really should get one from Helm. This is partially fixed in Ding0's Tweak Pack but for it to work the Holy Symbol of Helm has to be made available to all PCs and NPCs of a Good alignment, certainly not ideal. Making a holy symbol only usable by Anomen is also a problem since all other holy symbols a transferable.

I was thinking that, when Anomen's priest class hits level 25, instead of him receiving a holy symbol as normal it should trigger some kind of encounter that would lead to him receiving a personalised symbol of some sort. The Order could obviously be involved and it would have to be completable in both SoA and ToB since we don't know when he'll hit level 25.

Well that's as far as I've got on this idea. I thought I'd post and see if anybody else could come up with something.

I'd like to point out that if Sim doesn't take this up I probably will. However, for various reasons Sim is far more likely to get things done, at least in the semi-near future.
The Gibberlings Three Forums

<SimDing0> Did you know G3 has secret forum rules?
<CamDawg> Yep. They're generally of the nature 'don't annoy Idobek.'

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
Re: An Encounter or Quest to fix the Anomen's Holy Symbol Issue
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 06:39:02 AM »
A nice, clean way to do it would be to split the 3 Holy Symbols not along the basic Good/Neutral/Evil lines, but according to the specific alignments used in Cleric Remix or the like. If you're NG, CG, or TN, you get a Symbol of Lathander, all Lawful alignments get a Symbol of Helm, and CN, NE, & CE get a Symbol of Talos, or something very like that setup.

Having Anomen get his Symbol through a quest and not a simple level gain makes a great deal of sense, earning his god's favor and all, and would also prevent the annoying glitch of multiple Holy Symbols gained as a byproduct of Petrification, Imprisonment, or booting him from the party. The drawback, though, is that if you write a quest for Anomen, then Aerie and Viconia have to get one too, and they all have to be different. Another critical consideration is just when and where this quest is initiated: Suppose Anomen hits Level 25 right after the party is sent to the Nine Hells. It'd be kind of silly to ask him to go to the Bridge District and uncover new evidence regarding his sister's death at that stage in the game, and a surprise ambush by Priests of Beshaba (with no explanation as to how they got there) would be just as nonsensical, given the circumstances.

It's a good idea, but must be implemented very carefully.

Offline Idobek

• Dust Bunny
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 07:37:40 AM »
Quote from: SixOfSpades
The drawback, though, is that if you write a quest for Anomen, then Aerie and Viconia have to get one too, and they all have to be different.
I don't agree on this point. Anomen is already a special case in a lot of ways so I think just him having a quest would work. Aerie and Viconia are dealt with quite nicely in Ding0's Tweak Pack or (for Viconia) Cleric Remix.
The Gibberlings Three Forums

<SimDing0> Did you know G3 has secret forum rules?
<CamDawg> Yep. They're generally of the nature 'don't annoy Idobek.'

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 10:27:09 AM »
As I mentioned in chat, we've already got D0Tweak, Oversight, Cleric Remix and the BG2 Fixpack changing the Holy Symbols in different ways. Personally, I'm hoping we can consolidate the best system of symbols into Cleric Remix, but I'd rather not add other mods into the compatibility fray, sorry.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: