Author Topic: FotD v1.07 released  (Read 37544 times)

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
Re: FotD v1.07 released
« Reply #75 on: September 14, 2007, 02:26:36 PM »
I understand about the engine limitations and the fact that not every variable has a 2DA file, like they made composite bowes more powerful as it was too complex to keep checking for range penalties etc (although with a modern 3.4 GHz dual core?), but I'd just like to play the game with proper spheres etc (and your new area) without all the magick items being taken out. Like, where are all the Tomes that boost your stats? Will the missing items come back when the party is higher level? I mean, have you just hidden them somewhere? The Realms were nothing if not Monty Haul!

Only a few magical items are not in the game at the moment. The rest are still available, some of them relocated, some of them in the same place.

I agree with the point you made a few years back about Greywolf's long sword being the best in the game and it's available to six 2nd or 3rd level characters, but perhaps an infamous bounty hunter like Greywolf *should* have a decent sword. Maybe if encounters weren't tailored to party level and were more like "Greywolf is a 1/2Elf level 9/11 Ftr-Thf" or something, or at least 6 levels higher than the average party level. My Ftr-Drd, an Ill-Thf, Jaheira, Branwen, Minsc and Dynamohum killed him easily with the help of a few Entangle, Hold Persons and Sleep spells. Before the mod, he chased me everywhere and I had to keep drinking potions of speed or wear the boots to keep a safe distance. Sigh... I suppose that justifies a lowly sword +1, which I had to sell anyway as no one can use it. I was looking forward to getting the leather +2 (IIRC) from the Amazons as well and  Whoops! she gone! And the fastest dart thrower in the west and the Amnish hunters had poor hauls. Still, it's a lot of fun and makes a change. A 13th level dart Grand Master should have 7 attacks per round, so I think he oversold his own press, really

You seem to be suggesting that Greywolf could not be immobilized with Hold Person and similar spells before FotD, which is not the case. In addition to replacing his sword with a long sword +1, I gave him a better armor and some healing potions so that he might last a bit longer. I could have given him a Potion of Freedom, too, to protect him, but I thought a 7th-level fighter at this point in the game would be more than a challenge. Since this game is not completely linear like Diablo, or scales content to the PC's level like Oblivion, some fights are inevitably going to be too easy and some too difficult, depending on whether the player chooses to do all the wilderness areas first or head straight toward the Nashkel mines. I do not know how others play the game, but I tend to go to the mines after gathering the NPCs I need.

I suppose "kits" are impossible in BG1/TSC, but I was looking at an old article on Realms priests last night and if Branwen had only 1 extra point in STR (14 rather than 13) she could have been a dedicated Priest of Tempus, rather than just a Cleric. Changing her stats is easy, but I assume making a cre file with levelled abilities is easier than making a chr file?

Kits like the ones in BG2 cannot be made in BG. I have some ideas about how to add semi-kit-like abilities to the NPCs, if not the PC, though.

I downloaded WeiDU (I assume that's what you used), and I'm going to try and make my own mod, maybe for BG2. I'll just need to dig up my old spells, and Grog's Grimoire (remember him?) etc. Could you suggest any other tools I'd need?

Unfortunately, WeiDU was only used to a far too small extent. This will be changed at some future point. Large-scale changes should be done with WeiDU, anyway. For new files, use Near Infinity and DLTCEP. Personally I would choose to use the last two for extensive changes to a single file, such as altering all statistics, equipment and spells on a magic user, but there are likely others who insist on using WeiDU for all changes. I do not know, try asking somewhere else.

EG for a Heat Metal spell, how would you target it against monsters and NPCs only in metal armour (maybe studded leather as well). I managed to get an area effect with a nice yellow-orange glow, but it affected every enemy, including Ogres in normal clothing. Would it need a script targetting every creature in the game if within range, so one could specify only those in metal armour?

It could probably be done with scripting, but experience (Defensive Harmony and Strength of One) has told me that scripting is too slow to replace effects. I gave up on Heat Metal and other spells for this reason.

-Echon

Offline Shadowblade

• Planewalker
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2007, 04:47:58 AM »
You seem to be suggesting that Greywolf could not be immobilized with Hold Person and similar spells before FotD, which is not the case. In addition to replacing his sword with a long sword +1, I gave him a better armor and some healing potions so that he might last a bit longer.

No, but he often made his save before - perhaps they were cheating? Maybe you should give him max hp as well. As a Bounty Hunter, is he a Warrior or a Rogue? Perhaps some potions of invisibility and a few backstabs? Or level him with party level or something.

The other combats I found easier were the assassins that lurk in Inns and Taverns as they were always so close to the door it was difficult to hit them with missiles and manoeuvre a melee fighter to protect the weaker members, whereas they now appear much further away from the door, so I can send in melee and pelt with missiles and spells. And Nimbul was too easy.

But then again, it's no fun being completely overpowered and creamed in every single combat. As I said elsewhere, the Oni was really tough until I tried it a few times.

Excellent mod, by the way.

Cheers

~

Offline Galactygon

• Modding since 2002
  • Planewalker
  • Creator of spells
« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2007, 11:31:49 AM »
I just noticed you changed the design of the FotD website, but I still think the original looked better and more subtle.

-Galactygon

Offline Echon

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
    • The Fields of the Dead
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2007, 03:18:10 PM »
No, but he often made his save before - perhaps they were cheating? Maybe you should give him max hp as well. As a Bounty Hunter, is he a Warrior or a Rogue? Perhaps some potions of invisibility and a few backstabs? Or level him with party level or something.

His saving throws are the same as before, and he does have maximum hit points. All NPCs have that. Having him level with the level could be done, theoretically, but would be very timeconsuming to do and in my opinion a waste of time. This is not Oblivion.

The other combats I found easier were the assassins that lurk in Inns and Taverns as they were always so close to the door it was difficult to hit them with missiles and manoeuvre a melee fighter to protect the weaker members, whereas they now appear much further away from the door, so I can send in melee and pelt with missiles and spells. And Nimbul was too easy.

I have not moved any of them.

Excellent mod, by the way.

I am glad you do like it.

Galactygon: I was getting tired of the old design.

-Echon

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: