Author Topic: Boo Kidnapping - Reward  (Read 42512 times)

Moongaze

Re: Boo's Quest
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2005, 06:40:43 AM »
Actually Minsk getting better strength is good enough reward... and I somewhat regret I wasn't playing an evil party at the time I tested this rather brilliant quest... ooooh have I wanted to pull a stab, grab and run on that woman.  ;D

"The stronger they are, the more loot they got" as the neutral evil version of the saying goes.

About Minsc's strength-gaining, I once had him equip the Girdle of Hill Giant Strength (sets strength to 19). Suddenly Boo's quest popped up, so I completed. Afterwards, his strength-stat was messed up. I'm guessing it happened because of the strength-set item/magic, because that bug never occurred without those things.

Offline Lord Kain

• "I was the 500th member on the old forgottenwars forum and all I got was this lousy title"
  • Planewalker
Boo Kidnapping - Reward
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2005, 01:29:00 AM »
OH come on, Minsc gets a strength boost to 19, the party either gets a magic license or a partial refund. But now the summon boolet? come on, the only more powerful summons are the epic powers.

Come on its dealing 21 damage!. couldn't you have had him do 1-4 and blind people "go for the eyes boo go for they eyes" I know its a joke, but its a real powerful spell kinda joke.
Now, at last, the masks had fallen away.  The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed.  Most ironic of all was the last gift that Raziel had given me, more powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision his sacrifice had accorded me - the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion:  Hope.

Offline Da_venom

• Planewalker
  • No one escapes death
Re: I can't beleave I never noticed this before...
« Reply #27 on: July 25, 2005, 07:24:08 AM »
so your point being?

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #28 on: July 25, 2005, 07:26:45 AM »
Yes, we've all commented on the Minsc quest reward at some stage or other, and my understanding is that it *is* going to be changed (at some point).

Offline cliffette

• Timmins Tragic
  • Planewalker
  • I still like Neighbours
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2005, 03:10:21 AM »
I have begun doing some random coding stuff, believe it or not.

But I give full permission for anyone to change this (or redo the Minsc quest) if they want to.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2005, 03:15:41 AM by cliffette »

Offline Jack-Blade99

• Planewalker
Where the Hell is Boo?
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 05:22:59 PM »
I might be really blind, but I checked every inch of the docks, looked in every barrel, and talked to every lowsey commoner in every building in the area. What did I miss? Someone help?

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
Re: Where the Hell is Boo?
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006, 05:46:27 PM »
I might be really blind, but I checked every inch of the docks, looked in every barrel, and talked to every lowsey commoner in every building in the area. What did I miss? Someone help?

Outside the Sea's Bounty there should be a little child that runs inside.  Follow him.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline rook

• Planewalker
Boo Kidnapping - Reward
« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2006, 06:42:36 PM »
I was wondering about the various rewards for completing the Boo quest. So far depending on how I answer the mage lady's questions I've either gotten the Summon Boolets ability for Minsc or a Jade Hound figurine*. So:

A) Could someone tell me what all the possible rewards for this quest are?

B) Is Summon Boolets good for anything other than being cute? My gut instinct is to pick that as the reward because it's a new ability for Minsc, and since it's what I got for answering all the riddles correctly I have to assume it's the best reward.

*From her dialogue when I got the figurine for a second I thought she was giving me my own little crazy animal pet. Then I saw the Hound's icon and thought "neat, I got a lizard!" Was kind of disappointed when it was something that was actually useful, heh.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2006, 06:51:41 PM by rook »

Wander

Minsc gone!
« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2006, 07:29:26 AM »
This is my first time playing UB, and so far I like it a lot. I messed up Minsc's quest though. While I encountererd the 'nearly impossible to destroy' trolls Misc allmost died and left the party. I thought it wouldn't be a big deal and he'd show up after the fight, but he didn't came back. Now I saved right after the fight and I do not have any previous saves. Is it at all possible to get Misc back in the party. Or have I messed up and will he be gone forever??

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: Minsc gone!
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2006, 07:35:50 AM »
What do you mean "left the party"? Did he just vanish, or was there some dialogue? If the latter, do you remember any lines?

(Note: I don't know exactly what this quest is meant to do, so I am not sure why he would leave if near death.)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Wander

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2006, 07:47:13 AM »
He said something like he could not die without Boo. So I figured he would go to the government district without me, but he obviously didn't.

Offline WizWom

• Wandering Kernel of Happiness
  • Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2006, 08:01:33 AM »
Errr... there are no Trolls in "The Kidnapping of Boo"
So, I think you somehow got your quests confused, and Minsc figured you didn't want to help.
Check your Journal, you should have an entry about Minsc going off to find Boo.  If you do, then you can't get Minsc back.  If you don't, then it wasn't the Kidnapping of Boo quest that made him leave.

And, um - try loading your Autosave - that should be before the fight, unless you left the area you were in looking for Minsc.
If you aren't happy, it's not my fault.

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2006, 08:36:53 AM »
Unless I'm badly misreading the code (which is perfectly possible), then

- yes, it is part of the mod, and deliberate (Minsc leaves the party if he hasn't got Boo and if his hit points get below 5 or 5%, whichever is lower

- no, you can't get him back (sorry...)

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2006, 10:31:13 AM »
There are trolls in Boo's kidnapping, but indirectly. The party winds up teleported to the Druid Grove, by the Troll Mound, and is confronted with several unkillable trolls.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2006, 11:35:23 AM »
As an aside, I've spoken to Cliffette and she's going to revert to the behaviour of earlier versions of the quest re:the Druid Grove.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Wander

« Reply #40 on: September 04, 2006, 11:18:45 AM »
Thanks all for the quick reply! At least I can stop searching for Minsc now :) I guess I'll have Minsc back in ToB anyway.

« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2006, 08:29:29 AM »
As an aside, I've spoken to Cliffette and she's going to revert to the behaviour of earlier versions of the quest re:the Druid Grove.

So are we likely to see a completely bug-free version of the quest (I seem to recall something about Minsc's THAC0 being altered)?

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #42 on: September 07, 2006, 01:10:07 PM »
completely bug-free version of the quest
To paraphrase The Princess Bride,

"Life IS bugs, Princess. Anyone trying to tell you otherwise is trying to sell you something!" :) 

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #43 on: September 07, 2006, 11:18:23 PM »
The THAC0 business is Minsc recieving a THAC0 boost--it goes down by 4 or 5 points or so. It's not exactly permanent: Either it wears off when Minsc next Levels Up (his THAC0 is reset to where it would normally be), or gradually over the next 4 levels: When he gains a new level, his THAC0 does not improve until his actual level has "caught up with" his enhanced THAC0. Since the quest can only be started in Chapters 2-3, and it takes quite a long time to get a Ranger up to Level 21 (at which point a Warrior's THAC0 stope improving), the benefit is practially guaranteed to not be permanent.

Offline WizWom

• Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: September 07, 2006, 11:29:16 PM »
Dude, that's, um, cheesy.

A THAC0 bonus of 5 is huge.  if you want to give minsc that, fine, do it as an effect, don't set the THAC0 to 5 better.  Saying he'll eventually level and fix it is silly.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: September 09, 2006, 03:38:59 AM »

So are we likely to see a completely bug-free version of the quest (I seem to recall something about Minsc's THAC0 being altered)?

Well, I hope so.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #46 on: September 12, 2006, 01:30:46 AM »
Dude, that's, um, cheesy. A THAC0 bonus of 5 is huge.
I'm inclined to agree. Perhaps Cliffette wanted to give Minsc something to bring him up to the general Tanking level of Jaheira and/or Korgan, but even then, the permanent (but small) STR bonus should be enough. Not to mention the generous loot. Don't get me wrong, loot and EXP are well and good, but some bit of noble fluff shaking off jewels like they were rocks in her shoes?

Offline WizWom

• Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: September 12, 2006, 12:10:26 PM »
Er, yeah.  Thhere's a reason I don't put in that one or "What Kalah was promised."

Both give rewards too great too early.  For far too little.

Offline Jude-The-Obscure

• Planewalker
Any info about Boolet??
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2007, 12:28:29 PM »
I'm valiantly resisting the urge to make really bad puns ... honest, you won't get a squeak out of me even tho it's wheely hard to resist *boohoo*

*ducks rotten tomatoes*  :P

Actually my real question is about Summon Boolet. What does boolet (the miniature,  miniature giant space hamster) actually do?
 My apologies if it's already been said -  I've tried my hardest to search for this nfo and failed dismally

Offline Annihilator

• Planewalker
Boo quest: Minsc THAC0
« Reply #49 on: August 28, 2007, 01:29:46 PM »
Heyaz, this is my first post in PPG. After finishing BG2 for 450 times I finally installed some mods. Kudos to all of you developers, there's some really neat stuff here that will keep the game playable for me.

Anyways, I did a bit of research and saw that the extreme Minsc THAC0 bonus problem wasn't unheard of. In fact, my Kensai with an +3 Long Sword (with grandmastery) has 3 THAC0, while now Minsc (with the +2 Sarevok's two-handed and only two slots in proficiency) has -5.   :o

This makes the game unplayable for me, and how do I solve this ? I heard that when he gains a level it'll be fixed (which I tried with cluaconsole and it didn't happen) or I simply have to wait until his "legal" THAC0 bonus will be more than the "illegal" one (which will happen around... level 150). So isn't there a way to get rid of that ?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: