Author Topic: Finch, a new NPC for BG1 (Tutu, BGT, BG:EE, EET), is here!  (Read 76504 times)

Baum

Re: Finch, a new NPC for Tutu, is here!
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2005, 02:01:19 PM »
Creating the "Backup" folder did the trick. Sometimes solutions can be so easy - if you know them. :)

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #51 on: April 02, 2006, 10:44:49 AM »
The broken Finch download links should be fixed now.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline Gregor

• Planewalker
« Reply #52 on: April 13, 2006, 07:01:58 PM »
Loving Finch!  Thank you for creating her.  I'm dearly wishing for Finch SoA now, though...I'd take Jan through the whole game for the first time just to hear the banters!

One teeny complaint...four measley books to start a library???  I'm sure you didn't want to turn BG1 into "the Quest for Medieval Pop-Up Books", but surely we can do better than FOUR!  ;)
Don't Touch Me!  That's...very important.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2006, 06:11:23 PM »
Loving Finch!  Thank you for creating her.  I'm dearly wishing for Finch SoA now, though...I'd take Jan through the whole game for the first time just to hear the banters!

Thank you. Finch SoA is something I'd like to do, if I ever get the time, and I do have a couple of banters set aside. I'd put her in the Temple of Oghma in the Docks District. There would kind of be a quest where she lost her glasses or they were destroyed and the player has a couple of options for what they were replaced with, i.e. Jan can offer up some Spectroscopes, a craftsman in the Promenade can fashion up another pair given the right materials and incentive, and you could track down a mystical monacle in Watcher's Keep. Without any glasses, of course, Finch is nearly blind, and her abilities in combat would be affected.

So, yeah, Finch SoA is something I'd definitely like to happen, but I don't know when I'll get to it.

One teeny complaint...four measley books to start a library???  I'm sure you didn't want to turn BG1 into "the Quest for Medieval Pop-Up Books", but surely we can do better than FOUR!  ;)
Trust me, the thought had occurred that it's a puny library. I've considered raising the books to find to six, but more importantly, adding one item that Finch has when you pick her up to represent the books she's already collected. After all, she's in Beregost to get a book for the new library in the first place, and the original idea was that Finch was in Candlekeep transcribing works for this purpose. Anyway, the quest should emphasize more that the PC is helping Finch complete the library with the remaining books she needs, not providing the sum and total work.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

Offline Gregor

• Planewalker
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2006, 11:07:16 PM »
Probably my fault...I'll bet there was dialogue about that that I just BLATANTLY skipped over.  It's a bad habit, and I'm sincerely trying to change.  I'll confess that I DID think the four books were just intended to START the library, not complete it.  I should have had more faith in Finch's librarianism.  :-[

Love the ideas for SoA; can't wait!  It would be cool if Finch's glasses got "upgraded" throughout SoA as she finds new alternatives and/or components.  "True Sight" would not be unwelcome.  I'm just sayin'.

Thanks again for Finch, and please try and find some time for SoA!
Don't Touch Me!  That's...very important.

Offline Beetle

• Planewalker
« Reply #55 on: April 24, 2006, 12:39:05 AM »
Finch SoA is something I'd like to do, if I ever get the time, and I do have a couple of banters set aside.

Good news! (even if it may never happen) Finch would be a tremendous addition to SoA. There's a shortage of non-neurotic, upbeat characters that are fun to be around and aren't evil or planning on betraying the PC.

Now for the obligatory question that must be asked of any prospective mod: Romanceable?  ;D
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2006, 11:56:26 PM »
Finch is little neurotic about gnomes, and her idealization of tall-folk. Of course, she is more upbeat when she is neurotic... :)

There won't be a Finch Romance, partially because not every NPC needs to be romanceable and partly because even a simple romance track adds a lot of work. (The Surayah mod is a case in point, since it has multiple romance scenarios, depending on whether the PC or Anomen is involved, the status of quests, whether it's Tuesday... so sloooow.) I was going to make some lightweight flirts available, though, at least in the Tutu portion.

I can't remember if I've already mentioned this, but a bit of Finch trivia: her initial working name was Beetle!

Offline Beetle

• Planewalker
« Reply #57 on: April 25, 2006, 01:34:51 PM »
not every NPC needs to be romanceable

But every NPC cleric does!  ;)

Actually, she's fine without a romance.

I can't remember if I've already mentioned this, but a bit of Finch trivia: her initial working name was Beetle!

As fine a name as Beetle is, you made the right choice going with Finch.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Offline Diana

• Neophyte
  • Planewalker
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2006, 07:28:22 PM »
FYI - Just started Tutu again and I haven't read this thread in its entirety.  We met Finch @ Candlekeep but she is not in party but this banter by Khalid triggers - might be a fluke as only Khalid's first line displays.  And I have dl'd Finch V 2.0

CHAIN
IF WEIGHT #10 ~CombatCounter(0) InParty("Khalid")
See("Khalid")
!StateCheck("Khalid",STATE_SLEEPING)
AreaType(FOREST)
Global("SUFinchKhalid3","LOCALS",0)~ THEN _BKHALI SuFinchMud
@494 DO ~SetGlobal("SUFinchKhalid3","LOCALS",1)~
== BSUFINCH @495
== _BKHALI @496
== BSUFINCH @497
EXIT

Edit - forgot to add the Weidu.Log file since people like to see it. - Running Tutu V4 and TutuFix V17

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #0 // Core Bugfixes
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #2 // Restored BG1 Loadscreens
~SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2~ #0 #10 // BG2 style world map [Requires new game to take effect]
~SETUP-SIRINESCALL.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Lure of the Sirine's Call
~SETUP-TGC1E.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Grey Clan Episode One: In Candlelight, BG1TUTU edition v1.4
~SETUP-DRIZZTISNOTSTUPID.TP2~ #0 #0 // Drizzt Is Not Stupid
~ANDYRIMTUTU.TP2~ #0 #0 // Andyr's entry for Iron Modder Tutu: A Rain Of Tears.
~SETUP-IRONTUTU1GHREY.TP2~ #0 #0 // Iron Tutu 1: A Rain of Tears, by Ghreyfain
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // The BG1 NPC Project for BG1 Tutu: Core Install
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #1 // The BG1 NPC Project for BG1 Tutu: Phase I (Banters)
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #2 // The BG1 NPC Project for BG1 Tutu: Phase II (Quests and Interjections)
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #3 // Jason Compton's Accelerated Banter Script.
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #6 // Give Edwin his BG2 portrait.
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #9 // Give Minsc his BG2 portrait.
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #14 // Non-joinable character portraits
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #18 // Shar-Teel Relationship Core (Rated R)
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #19 // Branwen's Romance Core (Rated PG13)
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #36 // Shar-Teel's Romance Speed -> Shar-Teel's Relationship Speed: 1 hour
~BG1NPC.TP2~ #0 #40 // Branwen's Romance Speed -> Branwen's Romance Speed: 1 hour
~SETUP-INDINPC.TP2~ #0 #0 // Indira NPC for BG1Tutu
~SETUP-FINCHNPCV2.TP2~ #0 #0 // Finch NPC for Tutu v2.0
~MUR'NETH.TP2~ #0 #0 // The Mur'Neth NPC mod for Baldur's Gate Tutu or Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU
~MUR'NETH.TP2~ #0 #1 // Remove Rare selection sounds
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #43 // Weapon Animation Tweaks
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #49 // Disable Portrait Icons Added by Equipped Items
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #52 // Remove "You Must Gather Your Party..." Sound (Weimer)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #58 // Icon Improvements
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #61 // Change Avatar When Wearing Robes or  Leather Armor (Galactygon)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #92 // Add Map Notes
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #132 // Remove Baldur's Gate Experience Cap
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #148 // Druids Use Cleric Level and Spell Progression
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #155 // Allow Arcane Spellcasting in Heavy Armor
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #173 // Wear Magic Rings and Armor (Weimer)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #176 // Multi-Class Grand Mastery (Weimer)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #179 // True Grand Mastery (Baldurdash)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #225 // Unlimited Ammo Stacking
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #228 // Unlimited Gem and Jewelry Stacking
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #231 // Unlimited Potion Stacking
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #234 // Unlimited Scroll Stacking
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #240 // Happy Patch (Party NPCs do not fight or complain about reputation)
~SETUP-TUTU_TWEAKS.TP2~ #0 #288 // Make Montaron an Assassin (Andyr)
~SETUP-TUTUGUI.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldur's Gate I GUI for Tutu
~SETUP-TUTUGUISP.TP2~ #0 #0 // Baldurs Gate I GUI for Tutu Service Pack
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 08:04:14 PM by Diana »

Offline Grim Squeaker

• Fallen
  • Planewalker
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2006, 11:18:38 AM »
Code: [Select]
CHAIN
IF WEIGHT #10 ~CombatCounter(0) InParty("Khalid")
See("Khalid")
!StateCheck("Khalid",STATE_SLEEPING)
AreaType(FOREST)
Global("SUFinchKhalid3","LOCALS",0)~ THEN _BKHALI SuFinchMud
@494 DO ~SetGlobal("SUFinchKhalid3","LOCALS",1)~
== BSUFINCH @495
== _BKHALI @496
== BSUFINCH @497
EXIT

Looks like Bons has coded checks for Khalid instead of Finch, therefore he's trying to initiate a banter with himself, which quits after the first line as Finch isn't there to respond.
"You alone can make my song take flight..."

Offline Diana

• Neophyte
  • Planewalker
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2006, 03:27:57 PM »
This mod has been out for quite a while.  And the little bit  I had her in party the first time I played made her a good companion.  I must have dropped off Jaheira and Kahlid when I picked her up the first time on my pass through Tutu.  Will make the changes to her .d files till we get an update.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #61 on: June 30, 2006, 06:37:18 PM »
Yes, Mr. Squeaker has the right of my booboo.

I have several things I need to do for a v3: getting rid of the TotSC dependency, add a Spanish translation, and now this!  :)

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2006, 10:10:38 PM »
Getting ready to release v3 of Finch, which corrects this banter bug among other things.

Offline berelinde

• Planewalker
    • Gavin, cleric of Lathander, for Tutu
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2006, 11:53:31 AM »
Finch is so cool. I was going to just pick her up and keep her around for a while while trying out different NPC combos, but I'll probably keep her all the way through, she's that entertaining.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2006, 01:13:39 PM »
Thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you've found Finch entertaining!  :)

JudeTheObscure

« Reply #65 on: January 24, 2007, 10:06:41 AM »
I absolutely adore this character, especially the voicing. And the interactions with other characters are a total hoot. Sending much gratitude and kudos your way.

Due to my stupidity in loading some less than wonderful mods I am now on my second game with her. This time I've run across a bug that's not serious - nuisance value only - but it is intriguing and in an odd way, fun! As far as the dailogue box goes Finch seems to have changed her name by deed poll to  "You are collecting bits of the monster in one of your jars. Aren't you?* I kid you not  :o She is also coming out with some very odd dialogue that seems to be related to Schlump.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #66 on: February 10, 2007, 01:59:59 PM »
I absolutely adore this character, especially the voicing. And the interactions with other characters are a total hoot. Sending much gratitude and kudos your way.

Seconded. I cannot believe I was able to play TUTU without her before - she is *that* adorable.

Offline CamDawg

• Infidel
  • Planewalker
  • Dreaming of a red Xmas
    • The Gibberlings Three
« Reply #67 on: February 10, 2007, 03:47:47 PM »
One minor bug: Finch refers to Alyth in the Elfsong as a male, but she's decidedly not. :)
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

Offline pro5

• Planewalker
« Reply #68 on: February 11, 2007, 04:43:30 AM »
Hi Bons!

I'd very much like to try Finch sometime, but I'm a BGT player and there's no BGT version out there. :( Finch NPC is one of the few BG1 mods left which works only on Tutu (and it seems all others have BGT version planned/in development).

I have some experience in making BGT conversions of Tutu mods (I helped with making SCS-BGT and troubleshooting BG1NPC-BGT, in particular). Is it possible to get permission from the author for making BGT-compatible version?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2007, 04:53:21 AM by pro5 »

Offline Miloch

• Barbarian
  • Planewalker
« Reply #69 on: February 13, 2007, 11:53:25 AM »
As far as the dailogue box goes Finch seems to have changed her name by deed poll to  "You are collecting bits of the monster in one of your jars. Aren't you?* I kid you not  :o She is also coming out with some very odd dialogue that seems to be related to Schlump.
That wouldn't be related to this by any chance?  Sounds like a rather odd bug of indeterminate source (though the other person who reported it was also using Finch, but could be a bug in core Tutu).
Is it possible to get permission from the author for making BGT-compatible version?
I think she already said no to this a while back, but no harm in asking again I guess.  Or just play Tutu. :P

Offline Da_venom

• Planewalker
  • No one escapes death
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2007, 05:02:32 AM »
i installed finch halfway playing the game
have to say the voicing is good:D

but there are some problems when entered red sheaf again(after i killed the assassin and did not install finch yet)
and did the install now
you get the nice dialogue of her being from candlekeep and such
but my party is full and i ask her to wait
but she keeps looping at each 2seconds :(

also when i kicked her out of the party(before kicking another member out)
she already gave me her book
is this normal?

and could she have an option to wait in an inn or something?

Thanks in advance:D

Offline Graoumf

• Planewalker
« Reply #71 on: August 12, 2007, 06:08:45 AM »
Hello,

The d'Oghmatiques are updating the french translation of Thot of your mod, Bons, and we have some problems to understand the meaning of some strings. Particularly :

this Charleston person has the right of it
Seiges by spoon for the remaining biscuit!

What do you want to say by Charleston and Seiges ?

Offline Graoumf

• Planewalker
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2007, 12:14:12 PM »
Hello,

The d'Oghmatiques are updating the french translation of Thot of your mod, Bons, and we have some problems to understand the meaning of some strings. Particularly :

this Charleston person has the right of it
Seiges by spoon for the remaining biscuit!

What do you want to say by Charleston and Seiges ?

Anyone can help us ? :'(

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2007, 12:36:26 PM »
I can help you with Charleston - I think it's the man whose permission you have to ask to go into Nashkel mines. But Sieges, I do not know, I'm afraid. Google doesn't show anything, and I don't quite remember it in the mod.

Offline Mike1072

• Planewalker
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2007, 12:52:15 PM »
It should be "Sieges".

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: