Author Topic: Questions, and a little praise!  (Read 5398 times)

Offline drosketer

• Planewalker
Questions, and a little praise!
« on: January 21, 2005, 01:07:55 PM »
First off, a big thank you to all the modders that have undoubtedly spent countless hours on these projects.   8) 
While I haven't played any of these additions (yet), I am just about salivating at the thought of getting back to what I would consider some of the best games EVAR.

Now for some extreme noobiness...   ::)

Since I don't want to mess up the installations, I thought I'd ask for a little clarification on the order of installation.
So far I have completed the following:
  Full BG + ToSC + official Patch + Baldurdash fixes
  Full SoA + ToB + official Patch + Baldurdash fixes

- both installs are fully backed up in case I need to go back to a fresh start.

Here is what is next, but am not sure if this is the order they should go in (is it??):
  TuTu (up to step 8, but need to install mods now...)
  BGNPC1 Project
  Indira NPC
  Mur'Neth NPC
  TuTu FixPack
  Sirine's Call
  TuTu Tweakpack
  TuTu (Step 8 onwards)

Should I bother with the SoA/ToB (Banter Pack, NPC Flirt Pack, Unfinished Business) mods for the time being, or (likely) wiser to wait until I finish with BG1?

Lastly...  I've had an idea for a multi-classed character that I would love to play, a half-elven Druid (Shapeshifter) / Sorceror - fitting for the main character I think.  Does such a beast exist?  How hard would it be to create it if it doesn't (and how could that be done)?  I've played through both series a number of times in the past, so this is more simply to enjoy the game with something different (balancing issues aside).

If I have made some errors in my supreme noobishness, please forgive...   :-[

Cheers!

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Questions, and a little praise!
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2005, 01:19:58 PM »

Here is what is next, but am not sure if this is the order they should go in (is it??):
  TuTu (up to step 8, but need to install mods now...)

Run Tutufix immediately after.

Should I bother with the SoA/ToB (Banter Pack, NPC Flirt Pack, Unfinished Business) mods for the time being, or (likely) wiser to wait until I finish with BG1?

No, do not install BG2-only content mods for your Tutu game. Some of the tweaks are okay since they will affect Tutu more or less the same, but banter/flirt/UB/etc don't belong.

Lastly...  I've had an idea for a multi-classed character that I would love to play, a half-elven Druid (Shapeshifter) / Sorceror - fitting for the main character I think.  Does such a beast exist?  How hard would it be to create it if it doesn't (and how could that be done)?  I've played through both series a number of times in the past, so this is more simply to enjoy the game with something different (balancing issues aside).

There is a "druidic sorcerer" mod out there. Check the modlist, http://modlist.pocketplane.net . That's about as close as you're likely to get.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 01:20:32 PM »
As for your first question, you'll find more clarification here: http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=17556.0

As to installing BG2-specific mods while playing through Tutu, I wouldn't recommend it.  99% of them will not deliberately alter BG1 content, and improve the likelihood of odd bugs.  Hold off on them until you've completed Tutu and have uninstalled it.
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline drosketer

• Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 03:44:35 PM »
Thanks for your replies.   :)  This is the order I'll follow then:

TuTu FixPack
  BGNPC1 Project
  Indira NPC
  Mur'Neth NPC
  Sirine's Call
  TuTu Tweakpack
  TuTu (Step 8 onwards)

In regards to the Druidic/Sorceror mod... thanks for the link.  Close, but not quite exactly what I am after - how hard is it to come up with a workable kit?  I see there is something in the tutorials section but given that I have never modded before, is it something one could get a handle on fairly quickly?

Offline Loriel

• Planewalker
    • Loriel's Downloads
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 04:07:40 PM »
I think that's about as close as you're gonna get to that particular request.  Due to game mechanics, you can't mod the Sorcerer, and you can't have sorcerous magic (no memorization) with any other character class.  I believe that a Druid/Mage could probably be simulated by changing a Cleric/Mage's cleric kit to a Druid simulation, but you still won't have sorcerous magic.

Offline drosketer

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 04:14:39 PM »
I guess that settles that.    :-\
Ah well.  I suppose I could go with the Druidic/Mage, but at that point (unless the Druid part can use the Shapeshifter kit) it's more or less like a Cleric/Mage.  The only other way I can think of (dating back to when I played the series) would be to do a human dual classed character, but that would likely take quite a while to come into its own...  As in, dualling after finishing ToSC.  :P

Offline drosketer

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2005, 08:08:30 PM »
Woohoo!  Lovin' it.  Finally figured out that I didn't have any mods requiring installation between steps 7+ for TuTu and all of a suddent everything worked.  Currently enjoying a nice Shapeshifter druid game going... haven't run into either of the new NPCs that I installed, but everything else is working good.  Have to say that thus far, a werewolf is just a little much for the current opposition  ;D , but imagine that will end soon enough!

Thanks again to all the modders!  Great job.   :)

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2005, 08:13:29 PM »
Remember that there are mods specifically designed for BGTutu, which should be around step 9 or so.  After running the converter and installing the fixpack, you install the Tutu mods.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline drosketer

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2005, 09:44:49 PM »
Weeellll, looks like I spoke too soon.  Noticed that there was a new version of Mur'Neth and Fixpack... so, went and uninstalled V2 of Mur'Neth, and V6 of Fixpack... then went to install V7 of Fixpack and hit an error on the CoreFix (remainder of items installed fine):

Here are a few of the relevant looking excerpts from the debug file:

[tutufix/interface/START25.MOS] loaded, 389464 bytes
Copied [tutufix/interface/START25.MOS] to [override/START25.MOS]
IF evaluates to false
IF evaluates to true
Copying and patching 1 file ...
ERROR: No translation provided for @1828
ERROR: [LOADHINT.2da] -> [override/LOADHINT.2da] Patching Failed (COPY) (Not_found)
Stopping installation because of error.
Stopping installation because of error.
.. and then further down..
SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2  0  1 Installed
SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2  0  2 Installed
SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2  0  3 Installed
SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2  0  4 Installed
SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2  0  5 Installed
SETUP-TUTUFIX.TP2  0  6 Installed
ERROR: Not_found
PLEASE email the file SETUP-TUTUFIX.DEBUG ...
Using Language [English]

Thoughts?

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2005, 11:44:26 PM »
Do you have a file named loadhint.2da in your BG2/override folder?  I'm also not sure about the translation error.

(Oh, and moving this to Tutu Modding)
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline drosketer

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2005, 12:09:22 AM »
Nope, seems to be missing.  I am wondering if the uninstall took a little more than expected... 

While looking through the debug file I also noticed this early on:
Choose your language:
 0 [English]
 1 [Polish]
Using Language [English]
[English] has 1 top-level TRA files
[tutufix/translations/english/tutufix.tra] parsed
[tutufix/translations/english/tutufix.tra] has 146 translation strings
tutufix/backup's 7th component not found.
This mod has 7 distinct optional components.

Not sure about that "7th component" not found bit - is that typical?

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2005, 12:24:47 AM »
I'm not sure what that's about.  I've seen it, too, though, and it hasn't affected the installation of the fixpack on my computer, so it's likely nothing to worry about.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline drosketer

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2005, 01:26:58 AM »
Does that mean that the remainder of the Core fixes made it in?
Or should I be starting the conversion process on a new copy of the installation?   :P

Offline Ghreyfain

• Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2005, 01:53:51 AM »
I have no idea why your loadhint.2da would cease to exist all of a sudden.  You're installing the fixpack on to your BG2 game, right?
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 05:46:33 AM »
It sounds like reducing the number of components messes up reinstallation of a mod. Uninstalling old versions of Tutufix before updating should prevent the issue.

Offline drosketer

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2005, 10:37:43 AM »
I have no idea why your loadhint.2da would cease to exist all of a sudden.  You're installing the fixpack on to your BG2 game, right?

Absolutely.  I unistalled Mur'Neth V2, then Fixpack V6 before trying to install Fixpack V7....

It sounds like reducing the number of components messes up reinstallation of a mod. Uninstalling old versions of Tutufix before updating should prevent the issue.

As above, I did uninstall V6 first - that (aside from taking some time) went smoothly.  By reducing the number of components - do you mean in the Fixpack, or if I didn't install all the Fixpack components (which I believe is not the case)?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2005, 08:13:22 PM »
When you do get round to playing again, you should find Mur'Neth in the Nashkel Mines. V3 is the current version and will be current for a decent while.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: