Author Topic: A problem and some comments  (Read 6515 times)

wormdevil

A problem and some comments
« on: January 13, 2005, 09:20:06 AM »
Hi, it's me again :). This time i can't reveal maps Bandit Camp, Cloakwoods, and mines. I tried to exit from everywhere, but it didn't help. I have to deal with Tazok to continue storyline but i can't get to see him. A group of bandist at Peldvale could have brought me there but they attacked me( thought i'm a spy). Could anyone help?

And some comments :)

-Spawning scripts are not programmed good i suppose. At the Ankheg map there is a spot where bandits spawn continuously when that spot disappears on map. Similar thing happens everywhere. Group of gibberlings appear when you step 1 foot to north then return back. It bothered me all the day. Also, when i left candlekeep dreadwolves attacked me and i was able to kill them i would level up. I want to mean that it's not balanced :).

-Items are not catgorized like they do in BG2; however, skills do. I'm an archer who has 5skill points on longbow but i can't use it :(

-Mods corrupt the game everytime. I mean it! I reinstalled whole game about 4-5 times. Lately i uninstalled old tutufix and intalled the new one. It corrupted again, game crashes when it runs. I'm sure that when i finish the game and play bg2 with my caharacter, i'll have to reinstall again.

-Journal have some problems. Every log stores as a quest and new logs makes the old ones disappear. Also, it says journal updated but it doesn't. I installed the journal fix but i can't believe that it's fixed or it works with me.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: A problem and some comments
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2005, 09:31:53 AM »
Hi, it's me again :). This time i can't reveal maps Bandit Camp, Cloakwoods, and mines. I tried to exit from everywhere, but it didn't help. I have to deal with Tazok to continue storyline but i can't get to see him. A group of bandist at Peldvale could have brought me there but they attacked me( thought i'm a spy). Could anyone help?

Try going to Beregost to talk to Elminster (outside the smithy) or Tranzig (upper floor of the Feldpost inn).

-Spawning scripts are not programmed good i suppose. At the Ankheg map there is a spot where bandits spawn continuously when that spot disappears on map. Similar thing happens everywhere. Group of gibberlings appear when you step 1 foot to north then return back. It bothered me all the day. Also, when i left candlekeep dreadwolves attacked me and i was able to kill them i would level up. I want to mean that it's not balanced :).

This is a known issue.  The fix is extremely hard, and will get done eventually.

-Items are not catgorized like they do in BG2; however, skills do. I'm an archer who has 5skill points on longbow but i can't use it :(

What kind of stats does your archer have?

-Mods corrupt the game everytime. I mean it! I reinstalled whole game about 4-5 times. Lately i uninstalled old tutufix and intalled the new one. It corrupted again, game crashes when it runs. I'm sure that when i finish the game and play bg2 with my caharacter, i'll have to reinstall again.

I'm afraid I've never had that problem.  What you could do to avoid having to re-install is make backups of the key files you need.  Save your bgmain.exe, chitin.key, and override folders somewhere safe (for both BG1 and BG2).  Then when you have to "re-install", just delete the override folders from both games (this is key), and restore your backups, overwriting the .key and .exe I mentioned.

-Journal have some problems. Every log stores as a quest and new logs makes the old ones disappear. Also, it says journal updated but it doesn't. I installed the journal fix but i can't believe that it's fixed or it works with me.

Have you left Candlekeep?  Have you looked in your Quest, Journal, and other journal categories?
Earn Money Sleeping.

wormdevil

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2005, 09:42:58 AM »
Thanks a lot for your answers Ghreyfain.
Try going to Beregost to talk to Elminster (outside the smithy) or Tranzig (upper floor of the Feldpost inn).

I talked to Elminister but i'll try Tranzig right away (after reinstalling :'()

What kind of stats does your archer have?
All bows seem like "bows" not categorized as short bows and lognbows. I have 5 longbow skill and it doesn't give any extra anything if i use a longbow or a shortbow.
I'm afraid I've never had that problem.  What you could do to avoid having to re-install is make backups of the key files you need.  Save your bgmain.exe, chitin.key, and override folders somewhere safe (for both BG1 and BG2).  Then when you have to "re-install", just delete the override folders from both games (this is key), and restore your backups, overwriting the .key and .exe I mentioned.
Ok, i'll backup whole folder to make sure it doesn't do something funny.

Have you left Candlekeep?  Have you looked in your Quest, Journal, and other journal categories?
In Candlekeep it never logged anything. After i left there it started to log some stuff but it was all messy. I played original BG1 and if my memory serves, it was not like that. The journal doesn't work like it works in BG2 either.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2005, 09:54:07 AM »
Journal entries are not added in the Prologue because the game calls it chapter 0 and the Journal starts on Chapter 1.

After that, the entries go in either Journal, Quests or Done Quests depending on what they say. :) It does work... In BG1 the entries all went on one page.

When you finish a quest the old entries are not removed, because BG1 had no mechanism to do this and it would be a lot of effort to add this feature to all the possible ways to end quests in Tutu.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2005, 09:57:34 AM »
All bows seem like "bows" not categorized as short bows and lognbows. I have 5 longbow skill and it doesn't give any extra anything if i use a longbow or a shortbow.
Yes, the descriptions are still those of BG1, but we'll be working on that for Fixpack version 7.  As for you not getting any bonuses, I assume you mean you've checked your character sheet and everything, right?  What THAC0 should you have, and what do actually you have?
Earn Money Sleeping.

wormdevil

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2005, 10:39:53 AM »
I check if anything changes if i use shortbow instead of longbow and there was +1 to thaco or damage because of longbow's own feature.
When i first played i imported my old character and it had her all items and my longbow was an actual longbow. I mean it was categorized under longbows so you might try to use BG2's bows instead of BG1's since there are few special bows.

wormdevil

« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2005, 10:43:43 AM »
Also i want to ask you if you can place some gem bags to bg1. They help a lot :)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2005, 11:05:25 AM »
Gem bags and so on are added by the Exotic Items component of Tutu Tweaks from http://www.gibberlings3.net
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

wormdevil

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2005, 02:46:58 PM »
Longbow seems to work fine now, dunno why  ???

wormdevil

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 04:36:46 AM »
Game crashes when you approach to Davaeorn. There is a trap on the corridor but whether you disarm it or not game crashes over there (it's also the same time Davaeorn appears on the screen)

Also a bug: If you select open lock and click tab you can see all locked containers on the unrevealed parts of the map.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 06:34:47 AM »
Game crashes when you approach to Davaeorn. There is a trap on the corridor but whether you disarm it or not game crashes over there (it's also the same time Davaeorn appears on the screen)

Do you know if it's the trap that's causing the crash, or Davaeorn's dialogue?  Try spawning Davaeorn away from any other interference and see if he does his rant without error.  His .cre code is "_davaoe".

Also a bug: If you select open lock and click tab you can see all locked containers on the unrevealed parts of the map.

I wonder if that happens in ToB, too.  Will check.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 06:39:03 AM »
Okay, yeah, the lock-pick and Tab bug happens in regular SoA/ToB, too.  I went to AR0303.are (thieves' guild), and did it, and could see all those doors lined up, without ever having seen them.  Nothing we can do about that, I'm afraid.

(Sweet, a bug we don't have to fix!)
Earn Money Sleeping.

wormdevil

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 07:31:52 AM »
I think Davaeorn does that. I approach slowly to the trap and don't trigger it and when i see daveorn game crashes.

I didn't notice the tab bug during my plays at bg2, whaow :)

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 07:38:54 AM »
Well, I just spawned Davaeorn and he didn't crash things for me.  Maybe try jumping to the opposite side of the area, ctrl+y'ing him, then testing out the trap to see if that causes your crash?  Try both disarming it and setting it off.
Earn Money Sleeping.

wormdevil

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 07:41:30 AM »
Will try.

Also Tiber at AR2100 crashes my game when i try to talk to him. Am I cursed, doctor? ???

wormdevil

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 07:50:38 AM »
It's Davaeorn. I lured him to me by casting a fireball. I disarmed the trap at the very moment he saw me, it crashed again but it was logged as "trap disarmed". Also, i triggered the trap, it's not the reason of my crash :(, Davaeorn is.

wormdevil

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2005, 08:06:06 AM »
I killed him using ctrl-y. Everything is fine but i missed a conversation :(

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2005, 08:13:33 AM »
Okay, that's definitely a problem I can't replicate.  Have you checked the complete biff-list to make sure you have all the necessary BG1 biffs on your hard-drive?
Earn Money Sleeping.

wormdevil

« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2005, 08:20:20 AM »
How can i do that? I'm definitely having much more problems than anybody else, for instance i can't see the waters as blue and all the other ones i listed before. There should be something going wrong.

There are 193bif files in bg2 folder and 159 in bg.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2005, 08:23:49 AM by wormdevil »

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2005, 08:23:13 AM »
Looks like you need to read up on the sticky topics.

Blue water vs. Green water:
http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=11980.0

The complete Biff list:
http://forums.pocketplane.net/index.php?topic=17613.0
Earn Money Sleeping.

wormdevil

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 08:29:39 AM »
I checked them, they are all present.

wormdevil

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2005, 01:03:07 PM »
Erm, so what about the problem :( ???

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2005, 01:11:09 PM »
I'm thinking, thawing out from my trip to the doctor's, and playing BG2. :)

Then I'm going to work.  At this point in time I have no idea what could be causing your crash.
Earn Money Sleeping.

wormdevil

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2005, 01:32:48 PM »
I can kill him and continue if he won't change something important on the world. I mean if he won't change anything i can continue playing?

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2005, 07:11:05 PM »
Just checked his dialogue and script file, and it looks like you should be fine just killing him.  He doesn't set any variables or anything.
Earn Money Sleeping.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: