Author Topic: Problem w/ Minsc stutter in Chapter 1  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Galerant

• Planewalker
Problem w/ Minsc stutter in Chapter 1
« on: December 31, 2004, 09:54:59 AM »
I recently started a new game in BG2, having just discovered modding.  Unfortunately, I think I might have made a mistake somewhere, or possibly went overboard on my first go.  I had just finished the circus quest, when Minsc started constantly going into dialogue mode, although he doesn't move towards anyone nor does anyone seem to move towards him.  I checked if for some reason some banter might have been triggered but not working even though it was too early for it, but nothing came through with Ctrl+I.  I even uninstalled the entire game and reinstalled everything, and the problem continued, which I would guess means it's either something that I've saved or something specifically related to the combination of mods I'm using and thus resurfacing after doing that.  I'd be quite grateful for any help anyone can give me with this.  Here's my WeiDU log, if it'd help to solve this.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Re: Problem w/ Minsc stutter in Chapter 1
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2004, 10:32:58 AM »
I suppose it is not impossible that's to do with the Kalah component of UB... How far have you progressed with that quest? You have just left the tent?
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Galerant

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2004, 10:42:31 AM »
Yeah, all I've done involving that is getting the lamp itself.

Edit: Oh, don't know if it's relevant, but I also finished the Mother/Child quest right after getting the lamp.  The stutter might have been happening then too, though.  There wasn't much movement of Minsc during that part, so I can't say if the problem was occuring then or not.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 10:52:16 AM by Galerant »

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2004, 11:04:34 AM »
Where are you when you first notice the stutter? From the moment you left the circus? (I would guess not since you have the lamp)

If you have an older save, could you see if it is at a particular place, or just after a certain time?

I don't know what could be up. :(

Have you tried turning party AI off, actually? Perhaps it is a combat script gone wonky.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Galerant

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2004, 11:12:39 AM »
I first noticed it after I left the tent after finishing that Mother/Child quest, and I'm 75% sure it wasn't a problem before I got the lamp.  I'm definitely sure it wasn't one before fighting Kalah.  As for older saves, I can check, but I don't think I do.  Although I'm not that far in, so I suppose I could restart and play up to there, to see if it happens again.

Edit: OK, the earliest save I had was an auto-save when I was leaving the tent after speaking to the mother, after I had already gotten the lamp.  On a lark, I also tried removing Minsc from the party and having him rejoin, but that didn't fix it either.  I'll try replaying it up to that point, to see when exactly it started, if it'll recur at all.

Edit2: OK, I've narrowed it down exactly.  It happens after the dialogue with the Amnish guard in which you get the Reputation and Virtue awards for finishing the quest.  And, after trying that dialogue without the Virtue mod, there is no problem, so it looks like it's something to do with it.  I might just leave it uninstalled for now, but it's probably something that needs to be looked at, although I'm sure it's not that common, or it would have shown up before now.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2004, 12:09:30 PM by Galerant »

t0k3

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 03:36:35 PM »
I had the same problem and you're right,it's defineately a virtue problem.As far as I can tell,it will happen everytime a reputation point is gained.It happened to me to me 2 times,once after talking to the guard after  exiting the circus tent and again after freeing the slaves at the copper coronet.I got around the first one(circus)by using an editor to give myself the rep point I would have gained anyway and skipping talking to the guard outside of the circus tent.Obviously  that wont work all throughout the game without skipping all quests that would result in a rep bump so uninstalling virtue is the only solution.I've seen some other posts on other forums(not many) stating the same problem so I would assume that it happens more often than you and I thought and some just don't know how to troubleshoot the problem.I like virtue and I hope somebody will tinker with the mod and try to fix it.If I had the mod skills I would be on it as I have some mod ideas myself including a banter mod for the sword lilacor(scratch that if one allready exsists).

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 04:12:54 PM »
There's a momentary jerk which interrupts an NPC's actions just after a rep or virtue increase, which I'll try to eliminate for the next version. That's a one-off, however. I can't reproduce the constant stuttering issue. Can someone send a save demonstrating it to SimDing0@pocketplane.net?

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 07:47:49 PM »
Okay, this bug is now fixed.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: