Author Topic: Building and Maintaining a Clean Install  (Read 132423 times)

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
Re: Building and Maintaining a Clean Install
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2007, 10:08:10 PM »
I think this problem is because the clean-install downloads include a copy of the baldur.ini file, which records where your game is installed. Unless you've got the same install setup as Icelus, you'll have problems. Try using your old baldur.ini file.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • The perfect moment is now.
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2007, 12:31:47 AM »
As Kulyok, actually. But, yes, it is not necessary for you to replace _all_ files: 99% of the time, I only replace override and dialog.tlk.

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2007, 12:39:24 AM »
Ah, ok.  This time, that won't work because my old baldur.ini file is gone, gone, gone, but after this, I shall be sure to keep a copy.  Actually, I'll be sensible and copy all of the proper folders ;)
Stop by my blog over at Bookwyrme's Lair, my collection of reviews, pictures, and general ramblings. I also review comics and books over at FanboyNation.

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2007, 12:49:25 AM »
All you'd need to do with whatever baldur.ini file you were trying to use would be to open it up with a text editor and make sure that the references to the install path were correct. This would be correct if your game is installed normally to the Program Files on your C drive, for example:

HD0:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\
CD1:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD1\
CD2:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\;C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD2\
CD3:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD3\
CD4:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD4\
CD5:=C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SoA\CD5\
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

Offline cmorgan

• Planewalker
  • Searcher of Bugs
« Reply #29 on: August 09, 2007, 08:18:38 AM »
As a side note, under Vista you need to check the forums for the latest reminders about permissions, etc., and on any installs where you have just copied the game folder instead of building from the original disks via full install you need to make sure those pathways are linked to your current install. I had a little trouble figuring out why things were odd, until I realized I havd moved the game folder from D:\BG II - SoA  to E:\BG2, and had not replaced the baldur.ini lines with he correct HD references :)

Offline Bex

• black marketeer
  • Planewalker
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2007, 03:26:05 PM »
Heck, on XP I once restored my own backups to a cloned install and forgot to re-edit the baldur.ini to the correct path for the clone, painstakingly rebuilt the mod stack and then just about had a fit when the game wouldn't run.  :-[
Silverjon's Journal: a Baldur's Gate fanfic/semi-AAR, by yours truly

guest42

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2007, 04:15:31 AM »
I think this problem is because the clean-install downloads include a copy of the baldur.ini file, which records where your game is installed. Unless you've got the same install setup as Icelus, you'll have problems. Try using your old baldur.ini file.

Thank you hero, now i can 'clean-reinstall' like all the other cool kids !

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2007, 10:17:55 AM »
I shall update the first post, this really seems important.

a

« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2007, 10:48:07 AM »
smack that

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #34 on: August 24, 2007, 11:54:02 AM »
Do the patches also need to be reinstalled after the reinstall?
Stop by my blog over at Bookwyrme's Lair, my collection of reviews, pictures, and general ramblings. I also review comics and books over at FanboyNation.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: August 24, 2007, 12:09:48 PM »
No, every backup is patched.

Offline Bookwyrme

• Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: August 24, 2007, 03:40:23 PM »
Thanks

vestdan

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2007, 01:23:13 PM »
I followed these instructions but when trying to run the game once more after copying the appropriate files, I get this error message.   An assertion failed in ChDimm.Cpp at line number 599   Programmer says: Unable to open BIF:data\HdOGMosc.bif.  What do I do now?

I get a message like this too, but like 628. How do I fix this, and can I do it while keeping my saves/character/etc?

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2007, 01:38:01 PM »
Open your baldur.ini via Notepad and edit file paths there, according to where the game is on your computer.

It's like I've written in the original post:

Important note: in most cases, replacing override directory and dialog.tlk is enough. The attached baldur.ini may record a different game directory - use your old baldur.ini instead.

Darkmoon

« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2007, 09:36:25 AM »
  I'm hoping one of you folks can help me out. I'm completely new to the realm of modding IE games, and I'm just trying to get my monies worth out of BG2 and TOB. I just finished the game yesterday with a whole bunch of mods installed...all of them weidu.  Well I never kept careful track of which mods I had installed (though off the top of my head thereis item upgrades, solifen, banter pack, official patches, tweakpack, maybe baulderdash fix pack, improved bhaalspawn powers, and eseries) and I now want to start a new clean game and take out some of the mods and add some more npc mods and quest mods. I never had a backup of the clean install and when I try to reinstall all of the BGII it restores the old game including the save files and all mods.  I do a full uninstall and a full reinstall.  Any ideas why my old file is restoring itself? Is there some kind of windows back up or something that I'm not catching?

Any thoughts would be very appriciated.

Darkmoon

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2007, 10:30:08 AM »
Just do the following: delete all mod directories(Banter, Solarom, etc), delete override directory, delete weidu.log. For backup purposes, copy your baldur.ini somewhere - or rename the copy baldur.ini.old

Then download ToBBackup from the first post of this thread and unpack all the contents in your ToB directory, except baldur.ini. Keep the backup.

Now install mods and play.

Darkmoon

« Reply #41 on: November 25, 2007, 11:32:13 AM »
  Thank you very much, do I need to run the unistaller for the mods or will deleting the override and mod files take care of that?

Darkmoon

Darkmoon

« Reply #42 on: November 25, 2007, 11:47:14 AM »
 I think I just figured out what happened. When I ran the original unistall program, it didn't delete all the mod files. When I reinstalled the game the hard way, it installed on top of all the modfiles that weren't deleted when I ran the unistaller. I deleted all the mod files and have a new question. If i reinstall the came. Can i just copy the entire directory, put it into a seperate folder, then add all my mods, and after I'm done just delete the entire directy and copy the original back into place? Or are there certain things I should save?

Again, thanks for the help, I'm enjoying this almost as much as I enjoy the actual game.

~Darkmoon

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: November 25, 2007, 02:05:57 PM »
Can i just copy the entire directory, put it into a seperate folder, then add all my mods, and after I'm done just delete the entire directy and copy the original back into place?

No, this may (theoretically) mess up your registry entries. Just do everything I mentioned in the previous post.

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2008, 11:53:16 AM »
Meant to post this ages ago... the error that lots of people are having when they try to do a clean install is caused because they've got BG2 installed in a nonstandard directory and so some links in baldur.ini are pointing to the wrong place.

To fix this, after you've done the clean install described above, edit baldur.ini. Replace any reference to C:\Program Files\Black Isle\BGII - SOA with the path to your BG2 folder (e.g. C:\Games\BG2 on my install).

I'm reasonably sure that will solve the problem described repeatedly above.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2008, 12:31:37 PM »
Yes, I posted "DON'T REPLACE Baldur.ini!" in the first post. I was going to remove it entirely for ages, but never got to that, actually. Okay, will do now.

And I should likely remove Tutu backup, too, since with EasyTutu beta, EasyTutu and BG1 Tutu around, things might become a huge mess.

Offline DavidW

• Planewalker
« Reply #46 on: January 08, 2008, 12:42:02 PM »
Oops, sorry - that's what I get for posting in a hurry, I now see we've had this same conversation a few months ago :)

But I guess if people are still making the mistake (I was tipped off to this from something on SP) then yes, it's probably worth you removing it entirely.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #47 on: January 08, 2008, 12:55:05 PM »
I replaced baldur.ini with baldur.ini.frombackup - this way blunt unpacking won't mess up anything; baldur.ini will still be in place. Removed EasyTutuBackup just in case, too. I think it's still useful - at least, people are downloading it.

Offline aVENGER

• Planewalker
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2008, 07:24:51 AM »
4.) OPTIONAL: Install the Baldurdash/Dudleyfix (except for Tutu installations)/Restoration unofficial patches

Could this part be removed from the Clean Install instructions?

FYI, having the Baldurdash fixes already present in the override folder of a clean installation might cause issues for people who are going to install the G3 BG2 Fixpack.

Offline Kulyok

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2008, 07:38:29 AM »
I think OPTIONAL does the job already, but, sure, I'll add a "do not do this if you are planning to install G3 BG2 Fixpack" warning.

(By the way, SoA/ToB clean backups do not contain Baldurdash/Dudleyfix/G3Fixpack materials, just a clean installation and the latest non-beta patch).

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: