Author Topic: Bruceday Discussion  (Read 13268 times)

EarthquakeDamage

Re: International One-Day Bruceday, November 13
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2004, 08:12:14 AM »
You could make him an unarmed Fighter with a "spiked knuckle" weapon that uses [insert proficiency here] and uses no graphics, giving the illusion of punching.

Offline nethrin

• Tree-hugger
  • Planewalker
  • A steak! A steak, ere I sleep!
    • Gilalion
« Reply #26 on: October 17, 2004, 06:11:24 PM »
I heard an interesting factoid (but I'm not sure how much truth is in it): the average cockney has a vocabulary of 500 words.  is that even possible??
Let the Realms' wizards beware: Kindrek is here!
Ssin'urn, sel'tur, tet ssivah. Il zhah Yasraena.
Doubt that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt Saerileth's love.

Lord Phallion

« Reply #27 on: October 17, 2004, 10:11:51 PM »
How about a single class swashbuckler, mabey a dwarf or half orc?  Stats = STR 16 DEX 18 CON 16 INT 8 WIS 6 CHA 10.  BTW where can i learn how to creat this?

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #28 on: October 17, 2004, 10:41:14 PM »
Ghreyfain's NPC tutorial on our tutorial board is the definitive word on the subject.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline shnurple

• Planewalker
    • Shnurple.com
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2004, 11:48:44 PM »
Gday mates? How ya doin'? 'just grabbed a gander at the site while i was waitin for me billy to boil. Bloody awesome bugger of a plan!

am i the only australian in this forum?
Shnurple

P.S. if anyone wants to forget stereotypes for 5 secs and fly down for some crocodile wrestling, give me a buzz  :P

P.S. P.S. looks like lots of fun, and the barbarian idea rocks.

P.S. P.S. P.S. remember, crocodile wrestling

P.S. P.S. P.S. P.S. should i stop now?  ;D
http://shnurple.com - save us...

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2004, 12:46:16 AM »
am i the only australian in this forum?

nope.
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline shnurple

• Planewalker
    • Shnurple.com
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2004, 08:04:00 PM »
glad to see i have some company
http://shnurple.com - save us...

Offline lennon

• Planewalker
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2004, 11:21:39 AM »
Pirengle : Bruce the Barbarian was a visitor to the UK in the seventies, he was a cartoon character written by Murray Ball (a Kiwi I believe) and he populated the pages of "Labour Weekly". Since he generally got into fights with the police on picket lines, i) he lost and ii) may not be the ideal role model you were thinking of.  ;D

Seanas :  Perhaps he should be called Darren, although its not exactly a Bow Bells name, more Basildon.,  :-\

Cliffette: "innit" ain't cockney any more "don-cha no"   ;) , its been colonised by others - including the "Goodness Gracious me cast" - now there's an inspiration for a 24 hour NPC - "Bangraman" & his arch-nemisis "Morris wallah".

Offline Pirengle

• Spoony Bard
  • Planewalker
  • Why do people always steal my taglines? WHY?!
    • Pirengle's Soundsets
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2004, 11:39:36 PM »
Pirengle : Bruce the Barbarian was a visitor to the UK in the seventies, he was a cartoon character written by Murray Ball (a Kiwi I believe) and he populated the pages of "Labour Weekly". Since he generally got into fights with the police on picket lines, i) he lost and ii) may not be the ideal role model you were thinking of. ;D

Whenever I hear the name Bruce I always think of the Philosopher's Song skit from Monty Python's Live at the Hollywood Bowl.

I also interpret el cr0mpt0ni's rules to mean we create Kelsey's antithesis. Or someone with talent creates Kelsey's antithesis. I have a thesis, so prolly no Bruce for me. :(
I've given up on the light of good.

Offline nethrin

• Tree-hugger
  • Planewalker
    • Gilalion
« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2004, 07:20:35 AM »
I've roped one of my authentic cockney friends to help me with the writing of the mod (he knows nothing of coding--he may not even know if BGII exists!).  anyway, he told me bruce is not at all a cockney name.  it's not that NO cockney is named "bruce," but that if you're doing a mod about a cockney, he should have a TYPICAL cockney name.
Doubt that the stars are fire, doubt that the sun doth move, doubt truth to be a liar, but never doubt Saerileth's love.

Offline lennon

• Planewalker
« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2004, 02:55:48 PM »
I've roped one of my authentic cockney friends to help me with the writing of the mod (he knows nothing of coding--he may not even know if BGII exists!).  anyway, he told me bruce is not at all a cockney name.  it's not that NO cockney is named "bruce," but that if you're doing a mod about a cockney, he should have a TYPICAL cockney name.

Seanas in his letter describes the problem of doing a cockney.

The East End  has changed .

I suggested that Bruce should be the Basiildon Bar Fighter, we could call him Darrel. If you genuinely wanted a current east end name, it might be Jules, Denzil or Derek (Delboy)  or maybe Sanjiv, representing those that want a short commute to Canary Wharf where they do a bit of trading (not much bar fighting here), Delboy having travelled up from Peckham (not much fighting here) or the more recently arrived Bengali community. (not much fighting here)  :)

Why don't you "borrow" the naked chef's name - Jamie! - he's about as close as to cockney as you get these days.

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2004, 03:05:06 PM »

the vagaries of carrying out a humorous stereotype under the sweeping gaze of an International Community...  8)

Offline Pirengle

• Spoony Bard
  • Planewalker
  • Why do people always steal my taglines? WHY?!
    • Pirengle's Soundsets
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2004, 05:05:26 PM »
the vagaries of carrying out a humorous stereotype under the sweeping gaze of an International Community... 8)

The notion that this idea's been killed deader than a damn horse...

Note the lack of a snappy metaphor.

I also find it hilarious that the majority of posters in this thread will not be participating in Bruceday, cockney or not. Unless someone cares to make me eat crow. :P
I've given up on the light of good.

Offline nethrin

• Tree-hugger
  • Planewalker
    • Gilalion
« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2004, 05:28:17 PM »
ah, it'll be great fun!  we love stereotypes..... ;)

one problem with this mod, my friend pointed out, is that cockneys a GENERALLY racist.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 12:09:21 AM by nethrin »

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2004, 06:08:20 PM »
What is or is not purist Cockney is a moot point here, as is questioning the name Bruce. The character is going to be in the FR universe, not the East End. Reality is being stretched. Stereotypes are being misrepresented. The theme has been set. Quit fretting about it!

If the rule-bending nature of the theme really does not suit a modder, I suggest they pick their own day and make their own One-Day NPC to suit their own character concept that is non-Cockney, non-barfighter, and not named Bruce. 

Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline neriana

• Planewalker
    • Darien NPC for BG2
« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2004, 07:49:53 PM »
If the rule-bending nature of the theme really does not suit a modder, I suggest they pick their own day and make their own One-Day NPC to suit their own character concept that is non-Cockney, non-barfighter, and not named Bruce. 

Brewse.
The color of infinity inside an empty glass.

Offline colbruce

• Planewalker
  • You have to go IN to go OUT.
    • Blue Button
Re: Bruceday Discussion
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2004, 02:17:30 AM »
I just think more people should make Bruce related mods in general.  I don't care what country or ethnicity you make the character come from.  Just make many-a-Bruce.  Brucii - the plural form?

Yours,
Col. Bruce Hampton, Retired

Offline nethrin

• Tree-hugger
  • Planewalker
    • Gilalion
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2004, 05:45:44 PM »
What is or is not purist Cockney is a moot point here, as is questioning the name Bruce. The character is going to be in the FR universe, not the East End.

oh, contraire.  my bruce will certainly be from the east end.  he's a cockney, after all.  since there's no such thing as a FR cockney, I guess it pretty much narrows it down where he has to be from, doesn't it?

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2004, 07:39:22 PM »

au contraire de la contraire! (or something)  any world that has been besmirched by the intrusion of a Spelljammer<tm> rapidly becomes devoid of 'no such thing as' states.  :P

jack

« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2004, 03:18:34 AM »
aaaah, yes. spelljammer: the worst D&D idea ever.  be that as it may, I don't think even a cockney is dumb enough to get on a spelljamming ship!   ;)

Offline nethrin

• Tree-hugger
  • Planewalker
    • Gilalion
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2004, 12:10:41 AM »
The character is going to be in the FR universe, not the East End. Reality is being stretched.

wrong.  my bruce will be from london.

he says stuff that even I don't understand.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2004, 06:57:56 AM »
Have fun.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

Offline nethrin

• Tree-hugger
  • Planewalker
    • Gilalion
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2004, 08:36:39 AM »
yeah, seriously.   ;D

I had to cheat and get the voicing done ahead of time because my friend (the voicer) lives in fukushima, and I live in tokyo (it's about a 3-hour bullet-train ride).  so we had to do the voicing on a weekend when he could come down.

anyway, I listen to the voiced lines and think "what the hell does that mean?"   ;)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: