Author Topic: Archived Posts - Ranger Kit Alterations  (Read 7873 times)

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
Archived Posts - Ranger Kit Alterations
« on: June 15, 2004, 09:22:42 AM »
http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=alt.games.baldurs-gate&selm=TYxzc.721691%24Pk3.527969%40pd7tw1no

"RCV: Two questions regarding V.10.  The new Ranger kits each include
something that strikes me as a bit odd, I guess.

The Feral Rgr is limited to one prof. in a number of weapons - I assumed
that that meant that those were the ONLY weapons he could use, and was
limited to simply proficient in them.  However, in checking it out, he can
place two profs into weapons a Rgr can normally use and seems to be able TO
use any weapon a Rgr can use.  Perhaps I am missing something here, but why
can a Feral Rgr place two profs into, say war hammers, but only one into L.
Swds, for example?  Seems a trifle odd....

With the Justifier, the text makes a big deal about how skilled he is
with weapons, well beyond the skill level of a normal Rgr, and yet they are
still limited to basic, specialized, proficiency limits.  So for losing
their charm animal ability and the bulk of their spell casting, they get a
measly +1 to hit and a 1- to speed every 10 levels?  Even including the
extra 10% to stealth, this seems a really bad trade off.....   Anyway, I
would have assumed, based on the class description and the glowing paens of
praise for their weapons skills, that they would have either gotten full
advanced specialization, or at least a cap of three profs per weapon or
something.  As it is, the powers of the kit seem to neither justify the
verbiage, nor choosing to play one.

Otherwise, V.10 is running well and I'd recommend it to everyone out
there.  [even if I do think...                                   ****
spoiler****

its a bit much giving Minsc a boost up to 19 strength AND additonal
subtractions to his THAC0.  One or the other would be fine, i.e. either an
improved THAC0 and he remains at his original strength *OR* the strength
increase to 19 but no {extra} THAC0 mods beyond what he would get for having
a 19 str......]

Rich"
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
Re: Ranger Kit evaluation from Usenet
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2004, 05:29:34 PM »
Uh, he does realise +1 THAC0 and speed effectively means a bonus proficiency point in every single weapon, doesn't he?  ::)
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Barren

• An almighty modder's sidekick!
  • Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2004, 05:52:51 PM »
About Minsc: we've had a lot of people complaining that his 19 str was overpowered... Should we remove it?
Quote from: talia brie
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline Idobek

• Dust Bunny
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2004, 05:59:50 PM »
I'm trying to find where Minsc gets a THAC0 bonus. Isn't this just a restoration of the penalties incurred when he was without Boo?
The Gibberlings Three Forums

<SimDing0> Did you know G3 has secret forum rules?
<CamDawg> Yep. They're generally of the nature 'don't annoy Idobek.'

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Things I need to fix for the Ranger kits.
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2004, 04:48:42 PM »
AFAIK everything is fine for the Feralan. Yay! :D

Following issues with the Justifier -

1. People getting spell slots when they shouldn't. I will remove slots more carefully, and send you code when you want it. I think they're appearing since I'm subtracting lots of spell slots, leaving a negative number which is rolling over. ;) Still, casting is disabled so it's not really much of a problem, just cosmetic.

2. Cleric dualclass problems. I'm going to have to disable dualclassing to Cleric, since it messes up the spell thing (because there's only one Priest Spellbook). So The kit description will have to be changed to say -  Cannot dualclass under Disadvantages. The code to stop dualclassing is as simple as swapping a 1 for a 0 in the .tp2 - will post when I'm back home. :)

Anything else, let me know!
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
Re: Things I need to fix for the Ranger kits.
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2004, 12:08:14 PM »
There's a Kalah thing, too, so I'll post here to aid memory. :)

A bug of my own: In the Kalah quest, Jafir does not check to see if the party actually has the lamp, thus creating the difficulties of:
1) I haven't even been inside the Circus Tent, what's this Lamp thing you're talking about, you crazy bastard?
2) I did do the Circus Tent and get the Lamp, but I left it in my Stronghold, so now I have two of the same thing (one which I can operate, the other I can't).

Oh, hmm, yeh... I'll think about what to do for this one. Perhaps I'll make him only spawn in the area if you have the lamp. I always assumed that people'd go pretty soon from one to the other... ;)
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2004, 03:44:56 PM »
I also found the 19 STR for Minsc a bit overpowering...

RE: Feralan weapon proficiencies - We discussed this, and I think the proficiencies are fine. I didn't find the description of the penalties unclear either, but if others do, it might be worthwhile to chance the kit description.

I do think he has a point about the Justifier, though. How about giving them three or four weapon proficiencies instead of just two?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2004, 05:02:54 PM »
I tend to agree with NiGHTMARE on the Justifier. :)

But I could be convinced, if enough people put up an argument.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 06:57:10 PM »
I enjoy designing kits of my own, but get frustrated that I can't make the game enforce usability rules like "Can wear any type of armor except Full Plate and Large Shields," because the engine simply doesn't carry enough usability flags to have 1 for every single kit. I have, therefore, adopted a looser, more "self-policing" style, in which the Kit Description spells out exactly what may and may not be equipped. Note that I do not say can and cannot be equipped; the player will still be able to equip certain items if they want to, but at least they'll understand that they're breaking the rules, and hopefully feel guilty about it and not do it any more.

A similar note might be warranted in the READMEs of kits such as the Feralan, to ensure that people like Rich have a thorough understanding of what the kit is supposed to be. I'm in 100% agreement with him on the weapon-proficiency issue, though.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 09:30:57 PM »
If you can suggest revised wording for the weapon bit and post, I'd appreciate that. :)

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2004, 03:29:36 AM »
And if you'll post the existing wording, I'll suggest some revisions. But not for a while--I'm going to be out of town for the next 2 weeks or so.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2004, 04:21:36 PM »
I'm also away for a week or so tomorrow morning. :) Here's the existing Feralan text:

FERALAN: What happens to children who wander in the wilderness and are never recovered? Or worse, those who are abandoned there? Many succumb to the dangers of the wild, but a fortunate few are taken in by animals, raised as a part of a lion`s brood, or a wolf`s litter. Cut off from civilization, they gradually take on the characteristics of the creatures who adopted them, forming some kind of unity with the spirit of the wild. In the process they become feralans, beings who combine the savagery of beasts with the intellect of man.

Due to their wild nature, Feralans may not be of Lawful alignment. As Rangers, they are limited to Good alignments.

Advantages:
-  +10% to Stealth ability
-  Gains +1 AC at first level, and a further bonus of +1 AC per 5 levels
-  May go into a Feral Rage once per day per 10 levels. The enraged state lasts for 60 seconds, and grants a bonus of +2 to hit, damage, and AC, and immunity to charm, hold and fear, maze, imprisonment, stun and sleep. He also gains 15 temporary hit points
-  May cast Call of the Wild once per day. This summons an animal companion who will fight for the caster for 3 rounds + 1 round/level. More powerful creatures are summoned at higher levels

Disadvantages:
-  Becomes winded after Feral Rage. While he's winded he receives -2 to hit, -2 to damage and a +2 penalty to armor class.
-  Limited to one proficiency point in Bastard Sword, Long Sword, Short Sword, Two - Handed Sword, Katana, Scimitar, Halberd, Flail and Crossbow
-  May not wear any armour or use Large Shields
-  Maximum Charisma is 2 points lower than a standard member of the race

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2004, 02:38:14 AM »
Personally, I don't see how this wording could possibly be unclear. If the Feralan would be unable to use other weapons, that would have been listed as a disadvantage, wouldn't it? I see no reason to change it.  :)

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2004, 05:02:52 PM »
Argh, v12 is out already! I'll catch you online soon and send some fixes. :)

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2004, 03:32:51 AM »
Hmmm......in a thread with this name, I would expect to see things like:

1) Allow Stalkers and Archers to Dual to Cleric
2) Make Beast Rangers not suck (allow higher levels of Druid spells, perhaps?)

Or does nobody agree with me on this issue, too?

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2004, 07:11:37 AM »
I meant for the ranger kits I made. ;)

If you have suggestions for changes to the existing kits, though, a good place to post them could be the Lands of Intrigue forums at G3.

Offline Barren

• An almighty modder's sidekick!
  • Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2004, 08:40:25 PM »
Archers and stalkers' inability to dual class comes from developping decisions.
Quote from: talia brie
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • PPG
  • Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2004, 05:56:54 PM »
Just submitted fixes to Ice in prep for v13. Unlucky for some...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: