BG1 Completed Mods > BG1Tutu Bugs and Support

BG1Tutu: Mac problem (Lvl 7 characters)

(1/2) > >>

Loriel:
Creating a new character for BG1Tutu results in a Level 7 character in Candlekeep for us Mac-users.I know that BG1Tutu patches the .exe to allow for level 1 characters and I know what to edit to get the same effect, but it seems difficult to many people (scared of a little hex-editing).  I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share the implementation with me so I can provide a user-friendly way of getting this done?

EDIT:
Specifically, I am looking for a command-line option to get it done.  I could just write a tutorial on how to use HexEdit, but I'd rather include a shell script at the end of the installation of BG1Tutu to avoid confusion or a complaint that I screwed up someone's BG2 installation.

Idobek:
It sounds like you know where in the exe you need to patch so why no write it as a WeiDU mod? WeiDU can patch the exe using WRITE_BYTE/SHORT/LONG just like any other file.

IIRC Tutu sets the starting xp to 1 in the exe and then uses a script to remove that 1 xp at the start of the game. This is because of reported issues with setting the xp to 0. I don't know whether this would be an issue on a Mac but it's worth bearing in mind.

Loriel:
Well, I created a mod that uses effects #96 Level change (set to 0) and #104 Experience points (set to -1), then added a point of XP with AddXPObject().  It works for single-classes, although I have to correct the HP, saves, kit bonuses, and and basically everything else.  The problem is with multi-classes, because there's no effect for changing second or third class levels.  I am off to try the Weidu patch method, but I'm pretty sure it won't work as things are now.  Weidu strips the resource fork from the files (which can be good for smaller file sizes - no icons), but that resource fork is where the application is defined as an application.  Once you copy something with Weidu, it becomes a regular document, which works for most mods, but in this case, it's editing the game itself.  I'm off to test it now, so we'll see.

Loriel:
I tried the patch with Weidu, and here's the results:
1) The patch was made successfully and I verified it by doing a hexdump.
2) Weidu did strip the resources and made the executable into a document.  I used ResEdit to change it back into an application, but attempting to launch it causes an error: "Operation could not be completed.  An unexpected error occurred (error code -39)".  I think that's an EOF error, but I could be wrong.  The end result is, I won't be able to patch the application with the current Weidu.

Here's the code I used, if anyone's wondering:

--- Code: ---COPY ~Baldur's Gate II Mac OS X~ ~Baldur's Gate II Mac OS X (tutu)~
  WRITE_BYTE 0x00464f65 00
  WRITE_BYTE 0x00464f66 00
  WRITE_BYTE 0x00464f67 01

--- End code ---

Loriel:
I figured out a solution and the patch for Mac SOA is now available at my website.  You can get it in the downloads section.  You will need to have Weidu installed already to use this, so pick it up in the Weidu section of the Adventurer's Spa & Grill.  The TOB patch is disabled until I can find out the offset it uses for starting experience.  Once I get that info, I will post a message here to let everyone know that it's available for download.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version