Author Topic: Baldur's Gate III Announced  (Read 30709 times)

Offline Reverendratbastard

• Perfunctory Psychopomp
  • Planewalker
  • "to keep my metaphysics warm" -T.S.Eliot
Re: Baldur's Gate III Announced
« Reply #150 on: December 03, 2004, 02:37:30 AM »
Well, seeing as this is a new developer, they may have interesting ideas for the series. And the infinity engine is antiquated. It's time for chnage. Besides, if the gam's a complete bust, there's always KOTOR 2

yeesh.  i haven't even gotten around to kotor 1.  and it sounds damn fine from all i've heard.  looks like nobody in seattle sold their copies when they were done though, 'cos half the clueless clerks i've talked to haven't heard of it and the other half never put it on the used shelves.
  actually, i've been holding out for Planescape: Ferment.  :-[

in fact, there's nobody left in my town who was into any bg.  except the one who gave me bg1, who now has a wife and three kids and seems inclined to believe that this exempts him from much computer time.  everybody else split.  so i can't test a friend's bgIII, i'll have to bite the bullet and pay for the damn thing and try it - you know, just in case.  (as much as i cotton to the tastes and opinions of some of this forum's denizens, i can scarcely bring myself to merely 'take your word for it', good or bad  8))
the lord of murder shall perish, yadda yadda yadda.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #151 on: December 03, 2004, 06:49:55 PM »
I'm sure there'll probably be a demo.
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline KIrving

• Planewalker
« Reply #152 on: December 07, 2004, 04:58:42 PM »
Yes, probably after the game is released! (to boost sales ;))
Look at the stars.
Listen to the rain.
Walk backwards.
Talk to a rock.

Offline bryad

• Planewalker
  • Holy Liberator indeed
« Reply #153 on: December 23, 2004, 11:32:05 PM »
Shed: Fallout 3 is being developed by Bethesda. :)

which could be bad or good...

considering i'm a morrowind fan, its probably good... ;)

Lol, i cant wait to see fallout morrowind style:

"Found Wasteland Raider Shotgun. You have 0 (Zero) Skill Points in "Big Guns"
"You Shot Yourself"
"Health: Zero"
Play again?

jk, im a big morrowind fan, i just dont like the extremely openendedeness of it : 9

rbxe

« Reply #154 on: December 29, 2004, 11:06:30 AM »
I would like to be optimistic here but I can't. I hate D&D versions 3.0 and greater. Nothing since BG2 and TDD has held my interest for very long. I wish somebody would just make more Infinity Engine games, or just tweak that engine with some relativley minor improvements and keep churning out games like that.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #155 on: December 29, 2004, 11:18:42 AM »
Unfortunately they'd sell so few copies that the developer would quickly go out of business.

Besides, there are plenty of IE projects being made for free :).
The Gibberlings Three - home to the BG1 NPC Project, BG2 Tweak Pack, Divine Remix, GemRB, Lands of Intrigue, Song & Silence, and many more!

Offline Kai of CandleKeep

• Planewalker
« Reply #156 on: December 29, 2004, 02:00:54 PM »
I'm a little dissappointed that BG3 won't be about <CHARNAME> continuing <PRO_HISHER> adventures as a mortal.  (You don't need to be a Bhaalspawn to have a good time!)  I had high hopes for that before I saw how ToB ended, and I was severely let down.  But oh, well.  Maybe a prequel won't be so bad. 

Here's hoping we FINALLY get to have Elminster in our party and make him the butt of everyone's jokes (the way everyone makes fun of poor Edwina).  Yeah... comeuppance at last!    8) 

It's always been about the story for me.  Truthfully, I found the Morrowind graphics to be rather crude, but the story was good enough to keep me playing.  I probably could have lived with NWN if they had put just a little more work into the story. 

If BG3 allows you to have a 6-party members with PERSONALITIES and decent combat scripts, and if the story is captivating enough, I might just play it.

I can deal with less-than-breathtaking graphics.  I can deal with pastel-colored portraits.  But please... give me a damn good story!
Having a highly active imagination can be very taxing on the purity of one's soul at times...
- Sir Kalthorine ut Wistan

I find you amusing... in a "What the hell is wrong with you?" kind of way...
- Jaheira, BG1

Offline neriana

• Planewalker
    • Darien NPC for BG2
« Reply #157 on: December 29, 2004, 02:42:54 PM »
Lord Kai, you thought the Morrowind story was good? Wow. I have yet to discover one. I always think of a story as being dependent on character development, and so far in Morrowind, I have encountered none of that at all. Hm, except with one person in the Mage's Guild. Impressive, actually, how well Bethesda avoided making interesting characters. It's just "take this letter to this person then join this organization then take this letter to this person". There's an actual story eventually?
The color of infinity inside an empty glass.

Offline Kai of CandleKeep

• Planewalker
« Reply #158 on: December 29, 2004, 04:35:13 PM »
Lord Kai, you thought the Morrowind story was good? Wow. I have yet to discover one. I always think of a story as being dependent on character development, and so far in Morrowind, I have encountered none of that at all. Hm, except with one person in the Mage's Guild. Impressive, actually, how well Bethesda avoided making interesting characters. It's just "take this letter to this person then join this organization then take this letter to this person". There's an actual story eventually?

It was diverting enough to hold my attention for quite a while actually.  Which is a lot more than I can say about IWD2 (a game I have owned for a long time but have as yet never played....).  I think what I liked most about Morrowind was the mind-boggling number of possible quests, as well as the staggering number of areas to explore.   It's really easy for me to get immersed in a game-world that offers so many diverse possibilities. 

I stopped playing it and returned to my beloved Baldur's Gate when a couple of interesting-looking mods were released.  I have not yet gone back to playing it.

What can I say, BG is still my all-time favorite, hands down.
Having a highly active imagination can be very taxing on the purity of one's soul at times...
- Sir Kalthorine ut Wistan

I find you amusing... in a "What the hell is wrong with you?" kind of way...
- Jaheira, BG1

rbxe

« Reply #159 on: December 29, 2004, 04:44:11 PM »
Unfortunately they'd sell so few copies that the developer would quickly go out of business.

I'm not so sure about that, as long as it has the D&D name on it. I think the idea that it is "dated" is nothing but transparent propaganda, since I haven't seen anything inherently superior to it. That's my own opinion of course, but I think enough people agree with me to make IE games a hit. I hate the interface of Morrowind for example, and won't spend another penny on that line of games.

Plus, the expense of employing so many programmers to develop a new engine for every game would be avoided and they wouldn't have to sell so many to make a profit.

The only real problems I see with IE are that it is not really designed for anything beyond running the games that it was released on. If it's so dated, they could give up the license and let people fix that problem by tweaking it so that it is more generally applicable. I heard that they don't do this because it would compete with new games. That indicates to me that they see a relatively high level of demand remaining.

Offline Veloxyll

• Seeker of Shiny Things
  • Planewalker
« Reply #160 on: December 30, 2004, 05:27:20 AM »
Funny, what I'd heard was that the IE was so horribly messed up that it'd be easier to make a brand new engine than repair it. It wouldn't make much sense to go "This could make us money, we won't use it!"
Shiny things, shiny things, shiny shiny shiny things!

rbxe

« Reply #161 on: December 30, 2004, 05:57:58 AM »
Businesses make exactly that decision all of the time. Look at New Coke. I think they bought into the idea that newer technology = better.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #162 on: December 30, 2004, 06:04:15 AM »
Develioping a 3D game is easier, faster and cheaper than developing a 2D game.  So from a business point of view, new technology most definitely is a lot better, especially when combined with the fact that a large number of modern gamers refuse to play new games which "only" use 2D graphics (probably the main reason IWD2 sold so poorly).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 06:05:50 AM by NiGHTMARE »

rbxe

« Reply #163 on: December 30, 2004, 06:35:03 AM »
Their loss then. I'd rather die than play a 3D game.

rbxe

« Reply #164 on: December 30, 2004, 06:39:16 AM »
I can also make some suggestions why IWD2 sold poorly, which are the reasons I didn't immediately buy it.

First, it used the horrible D&D 3.x rules.

Second, it is a followup to a game that was almost entirely battle oriented, not nearly as deep or engrossing as Baldur's Gate.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #165 on: December 30, 2004, 07:03:24 AM »
Their loss then. I'd rather die than play a 3D game.
Since there will most likely never be any new 2D computer games anyway (well, perhaps 1 game in 1,000 or something), it's not really much of a loss at all :P.  In fact I'm afraid to say it's your loss, since you pretty much won't be able to play any new computer game ever again, besides the occassional game made by amateur developers and released on the internet... ;)

BTW you do realize all the area and creature graphics in the Infinity Engine games started out as 3D renderings / models, right?
« Last Edit: December 30, 2004, 07:08:40 AM by NiGHTMARE »

rbxe

« Reply #166 on: December 30, 2004, 03:12:08 PM »
That doesn't really bother me actually. I have a great deal of fun with my 2D games, and it doesn't cost me $50 bucks every so often to buy new cpu games anymore. I know they will suck, so why bother? When they make another game that can measure up to BG2, then I'll think about it again.

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #167 on: December 30, 2004, 03:20:58 PM »
Personally, I think if I were stuck playing games that have already been released now, I'd be a little bored by 2050 or so... :P

Offline LizDiggory

• Dancing Lady!
  • Planewalker
« Reply #168 on: December 30, 2004, 06:39:16 PM »
Personally, I think if I were stuck playing games that have already been released now, I'd be a little bored by 2050 or so... :P

Amen to that!

Actually I've recently started a new game of Tales of Destiny, a game that I've played about 80 squillion times already.  Also I've probably played BG2 so many times I could probably quote characters I use a lot like Minsc and Kelsey.  ::) ;) :P

"Gee I really wish I had Infravision."
"Go for the eyes Boo, go for the eyes, RRRRRAAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!" ;D
"What is it NOW?!!!"

Prine

« Reply #169 on: December 31, 2004, 02:11:49 AM »
I'm not holding my breath.  If it even does get made, it's looking a lot like a NWN clone, and there wasn't much I enjoyed about NWN.  I'm another person who doesn't really like 3E.  Too much of a push towards the min-maxing, pick-an-ability-and-get-it-to-30 approach instead of building a realistic, balanced character, and the ability bonus system isn't great.  I've played a lot of both NWN and KotOR and I didn't like the 3E system much in either of them.  Ironically, I thought the best implementation of 3E was in TOEE.  :-\

Oh, and I loved Morrowind's story too.  Just because the game didn't cram it down your throat doesn't mean it wasn't any good.  ;)

Offline NiGHTMARE

• Idiot
  • Planewalker
« Reply #170 on: December 31, 2004, 05:39:58 AM »
To be pedantic, KotOR actually uses D20 rather than 3E ;).

Prine

« Reply #171 on: December 31, 2004, 05:58:09 AM »
Oh.  And NWN's 3E is D20?  Well, you know.

You can tell I only play the computer games.

Offline Murdane

• Planewalker
« Reply #172 on: December 31, 2004, 03:59:23 PM »
Many of KotOR's game mechanics are 3E edition in nature: stat bonuses, feats, skill points, etc.

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #173 on: December 31, 2004, 04:11:23 PM »
D20 is essentially the 3ed D&D system made generic.  D&D is a single game; d20 is a gaming system, and you can find the little d20 logo on games that use it.
Beauty standing amidst fiery destruction.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: