Author Topic: Archived Posts - Pai'Na  (Read 15634 times)

Offline Isk

• Planewalker
Archived Posts - Pai'Na
« on: July 10, 2004, 12:12:29 PM »
hi! I'm having difficulty locating the sewer workers underneath the Temple District. I've combed both levels of the sewers to no avail. where exactly are these guys, and are they in fact the same NPCs who ask for a toll to pass by?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2004, 06:37:44 PM by icelus »

Offline rreinier

• Planewalker
Re: Pai'Na/Spider's Bane question
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2004, 12:14:22 PM »
IIRC, they're in the western part of the sewers. They're definately not the party who ask for toll...

Offline Isk

• Planewalker
Re: Pai'Na/Spider's Bane question (small spoilers)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2004, 12:16:01 PM »
good deal, I'll check that area again. thanks!

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2004, 03:39:01 PM »
If they're not there when you return, my next question will be if you have Desecration of Souls installed.  :)
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Isk

• Planewalker
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2004, 05:12:47 PM »
I do not, and they were indeed there. I just suck sometimes =D

Thanks again!

Offline icelus

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2004, 05:36:30 PM »
No problem.  :D
<Moongaze> Luckily BWL has a very understanding and friendly admin.

Offline Angryj

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2004, 06:08:19 PM »
Err, so I take it the Pai'Na quest can't be done with DOS installed.... :'(
Death comes for us all.  Are you ready?

Offline Barren

• An almighty modder's sidekick!
  • Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2004, 06:21:05 PM »
Why not? I never tried DOS.
Quote from: talia brie
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline Necaradan

• Planewalker
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2004, 03:40:56 PM »
I've got a different question about this quest...

When I played this I payed the medium price and ended up getting only a broken sword to give to Pai'Na, if I payed the 1000gp would I have gotten the proper item so I can keep it for myself? I wanna know cause I haven't got a save game close to this quest.
I'd rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2004, 06:21:30 PM »
Spoiler:

No, there's only one version of the sword. If you offered the high price, the workers would have just laughed at your face, ruining the quest.
Otherwise visit the Ashford City forum and ask the mods, because Barren knows all. Barren is good. Barren is wise.

Offline Diana

• Neophyte
  • Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2004, 07:39:26 PM »
I paid the least and ended up with a busted sword.  And I don't have DOS installed.  This quest works fine.

Offline Necaradan

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2004, 01:01:20 AM »
Wow that really sucks I thought this quest was to restore the dialog and the sword. You should change it, you already have other item restorations in UB and this sword is part of a quest. It's comparable to Lilacor and is just as easy to get so it can't be called overpowered. I was really looking forward to getting Spider's Bane.

You could also restore Balduran's other sword the golden one that is good vs werewolves and add it to Diedre's shop with Baldurans other stuff. I have seen this item in shadowkeeper but it's a bit messed up wrong BAM etc but it's not mentioned in the unused items thread

Btw how in the hell did a couple of sewer workers break a +3 magical sword?? A broken sword also defeats the whole purpose of the quest Pai'Na wants the sword so spiders stop getting killed but the sword is already broken!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 03:33:48 AM by Necaradan »

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2004, 01:39:31 AM »
The quest is restored, as Bioware originally planned it.  The unbroken Spider's Bane was never supposed to be part of BG2.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2004, 01:46:17 AM by Kish »
Beauty standing amidst fiery destruction.

Offline MERLANCE

• Planewalker
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2004, 02:29:59 AM »
Well, people are going to keep complaining until something is done about it.

How about adding an optional component that can only be installed if this quest is, that lets Cromwell reforge it. Add the description that it is NOT how the game was intended to be.

That will clear everyone's conscience.

Offline Necaradan

• Planewalker
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2004, 03:47:23 AM »
Yes I would like that option but I see a few ways in which it could work

You could get the complete sword straight off the sewer workers for 1000gp (easiest)

Pai'Na could leave the PC to dispose of the broken sword bits allowing you to finish her quest and then get the sword reforged by Cromwell (best of both worlds)

Pai'Na takes the broken sword bits so you have to get Cromwell to reforge it before finishing the quest (if you see Pai'Na again she still wants the whole sword)

Offline SimDing0™

• Back In Black
  • Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Word Enhancer
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2004, 08:27:59 AM »
Beware of sticking to closely to the concept of Unfinished Business. UB isn't EXACTLY what the game was intended to be (see Kalah quest, or really anywhere at all where someone's written a dialogue). However, it doesn't matter that much. So long as you're not making blatantly random changes, if something adds to the mod, I say go for it.

Yes, I am the same guy who says "fuck developer intent" on a regular basis.

Offline Necaradan

• Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2004, 07:07:49 PM »
Yeah that's the point I was trying to make. Another example - Bala's Axe is already added in...

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2004, 07:39:48 PM »
Making it possible to gain Spider's Bane by double-crossing Pai'Na changes the tenor of the quest dramatically.  Suddenly the course by which the PC most profits is a double-cross, and suddenly a quest which served to convert a pointless battle into a roleplaying encounter becomes a quest which rewards pure powergaming.

In short--I think it's a horrible idea.
Beauty standing amidst fiery destruction.

Offline SixOfSpades

• Planewalker
    • Volothamp's Comeuppance
Re: Archived Posts - Pai'Na
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2005, 03:00:02 AM »
A couple bugs to report--Version 9 of UB.

Offering to buy the sword for 200 gp results in no gold being deducted at all.
I have a problem with people having items on hand to give you, even though those items aren't present if/when you kill them.
You can complete the quest and get a Web Sack and Black Spider Figurine, then pickpocket or kill Pai'Na and get a 2nd Black Spider Figurine. The mind boggles at the prospect of 2 Improved Kitthixes in Chapter 2.

feddy

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 11:59:25 PM »
Just a little thing I noticed with version 13: <CHARNAME> addresses the sewer workers with something like "I here you have a sword I'm looking for," rather than "I hear..."

Offline Barren

• Planewalker
    • Visit Ashford City!
« Reply #20 on: February 28, 2005, 12:22:41 AM »
I noticed that too when we first coded it. Original Bioware typo...

ShaolinDevil

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2005, 11:53:59 AM »
Why would the PC have to double cross Pai'Na to gain Spider's Bane?  Pai'Na could, if the PC plays his cards right, entrust the blade to the party for safekeeping.

Also, one of these posts says something like "the sword was never intended to be whole in BG2".  Frankly, I question this statement.  Why does the default installation of BG2 (no mods added) contain an updated Spider's Bane with new graphics and corrected item file???  I forget which item file in particular contains the sword:  just browse the two handed swords and you should come across both the original and updated Spider's Bane.

Frankly, I cheat and create the sword using CLUAConsole because I its a favorite weapon (I love the concept!).  I think it'd be great to have an actual means of fairly obtaining the blade in-game.

~ ShaolinDevil ~

Jerrit

« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2005, 07:52:24 PM »
Looking at it from a story perspective, it sort of makes sense.

Spider's Bane was an item found in BG1, correct?  If memory serves, you find it in the spider-infested region of the Cloakwoods.  Two wannabe adventurer brothers find it and, thinking themselves invincible, set off to exterminate the spiders and become heroes.  One of the brothers, and Spider's Bane, gets poisoned and is dragged off by the spiders.  The surviving brother begs you to go save him.  When you finally find him, he's dead and Spider's Bane is now yours.  So Spider's Bane would become the main character's property...

...flash forward to Baldur's Gate 2.  Traveling from Baldur's Gate, the party is ambushed by Irenicus, yadda yadda.  The party's gear is nowhere to be found in Irenicus' Dungeon (with a few exceptions, like the Golden Pantaloons, Sword of Chaos, Claw of Kazgaroth... and so on.)  So, logically, Irenicus might have sold Spider's Bane to a retailler in Athkatla (Or had Bodhi sell it, more likely.)  In this case, the merchant's goods might've made their way to the Cowled Wizards in any number of ways.  From the Cowled Wizards it could be passed on to the Amnian government... and the two boneheaded workers don't actually own the sword; they have it on loan.  From the guard- I think.  This does not, however, explain how it got broken, unless one of the Cowled Wizards did it by accident with a Disintegrate spell.

Or maybe the workers really do break it, hitting it against the wall, or something stupid like that.  I forget, because I did the quest a while ago.  -_-''  But when I did it, they never actually gave me the sword (I [paid for it and got experience for getting it, and got a journal entry about it... but never got it), and so Pai'Na never let me finish the quest.  So I lifted Kithkix off her via Jan Jansen.  Not the most elegant solution, but hey...

Offline Illinois

• Planewalker
Spiders Bane Troubles
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2005, 08:00:59 AM »
Hi All,

I have been to see Hug and Jeagger in the sewers but they don't say anything beyond mentioning that they are cleaning the sewers.. do I have the right couple?

I have been to see the woman in the spider's laid.. and she told me to seek the sword.. how do I get the sword now? :-/

Otherwise, I am enjoying Unfinished Business a lot!

Rob
:)

Offline Illinois

• Planewalker
Re: Spiders Bane Troubles
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2005, 07:51:48 PM »
Ahh... my problem was that I had reloaded an earlier game.. before I had talked Pai'Na... now I have obtained the sword! :)

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: