Author Topic: Valen Expansion now in development  (Read 57455 times)

paganraider

Valen Expansion now in development
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2004, 09:00:15 PM »
<_< Folks, I for one would like to thank the people who thought up the idea to turn this into a romance mod.  I for one am tired of the norm, little miss prom queen who does something naughty with the hero type mod.  I want my sunday school teacher and 2thousand a nite hooker combo, for a lover  :P .  An if it takes giving a pint or so via my char. johnson so be it.  Bring on the can slaps and nibblets. let the fun begin....  THANK YOU THIS WAS A MESSAGE FROM THE STONER BROAD CHASING SYSTEM..... :blink:  

Thorium Dragon

« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2004, 10:48:33 AM »
I've been very busy for the past couple if weeks studing for and taking my qualification test for the Air Force.  I have a little over a week of free time before I get to study for the *next* volume of the test.  I'm looking forward to that like I would a root canal.

Now, to address some points...

... by the end SoA she offers to make you her knew master/mistress (A.K.A)
Making you a vampire. Or in ToB in the beginning she offers the same offer
because in my mind the only way she would see you nothing more than a divine cattle is a divine master/mistress.

I don't plan on making the PC a vampire, I think the PC has enough complexity without adding all the complications of vampirism on him/her both from a development and storyline perspective.

Hey Thorium Dragon:
Do you have any alpha testers of your mod or beta testers for I for one would be like... Need Valen Mod to complete my Bg2 experience....
So i'd be glad to update you on whatever I find or go through the mod. :rolleyes:
Though if you don't want me to test, I would be incredibly :angry:  .......
Yah well I thought with the coffin/urn thingy, what happens if valen has it on her and she goes... well poof?? :( 

I'm not at that point yet, but hopefully I won't need to beta test.  I appreciate the offer though.

As for the urn, the PC will hold it.

Ideas
I would think that the vampire slayers would come in ToB in the oasis or the drow forest, it would probably make the best way, have it like 4.5 million exp they come in, and then make them a tad bit stronger.
Have more than one group of vampire slayers, like one come in at the very beginning, and they are like a newbie group trying to erradicate the undead.
you know, make valen and the pc a little more infamous, for I know Helsing Buffy Faith etc... there would be more than one group of slayers to attack the team.  It just doesn't make sense that there would be only one group of slayers ever to attack a "legendary vampire"

More and better slayers?  A possibility.

When Having Valen in the party and the romance "continues" and you are romancing viconia, I'd think they wouldn't see eye to eye on who should have the pc.  Viconia being an evil cleric could cower/control the undead while valen would see her as just cattle trying to rise above its station.

The relationship between Valen, Viconia, and the PC is something I look forward to exploring.

(what I am trying to say is "Have Valen kill her in her sleep" PLEASE!!!!   :D 

No.

Players spend a lot of time customizing their NPCs with equipment and skills- I think many would feel ripped off by an NPC death in this fashion ( I know I would)

Also have something like a will counter, matters through the dialogue, "is that the farther she is away from her mistress, and what you say on the dialogue the more "free will" she'd have.  So if you have collected enough will counters for her a "romance" might occur in ToB

The mod will have a few different "counters" that the PC used to "push" Valen in different directions.

Does Valen have dialogue about the pc's stronghold?

Yes.

instead of fighting Gax if she opens and free's Gax, the party gets a boon for she is undead instead of fighting him, and may also give a few missions, siding with Gax might be fun.

I see Gax as pretty much beyond barganing/reasoning with.

Anyone who mentions buffy or takes that programme remotely seriously needs to be sectioned.

I resisted Buffy and Angel for years until a friend got me into them.  I think they are both excellent shows with an amazing ability to develop characters.  However, I don't use either show as inspiration for Valen.

Temujin Reborn

« Reply #77 on: February 19, 2004, 02:12:27 PM »
Thorium, whatever you do...

FINISH THIS MOD, PLEASE!

I do not care what anyone says - what you are planning is most excellent. I will admit that I have never envisioned a change in lil' miss vampire due to the fact I found Valen to be an already perfect mod... However, that being said, after reading what you have planned I feel it will just further enhance and bring to life the existing character we've all come to love.

You already have 7 people in this household waiting on pins and needles to play it (my 6 kiddos and of course myself...lol). I'm sure the mod would be played by a LOT more people than you might think.

If you do not mind I do have one recommendation/idea: One of the things you could do to enhance her 'blood lust side of the story'(when or if needed) is to have her sneak off in the middle of the night while everyone else is resting and go kill someone (not NPC's though)... with dire consequences for you and the group. Heck, let it be someone of 'great importance'! Maybe make it like one of the dream sequences where you see what she is doing (although your character doesn't really know what she did), then have that character find out the hard way what his pet vampire did while he was resting his eyes... Maybe it is punishment to the protagonist for something he said totally wrong during a previous dialogue (do NOT make it the obvious choice in the dialogue though - let it be very unexpected indeed)? After all, vampires NEVER forget and very, very rarely forgive...lol

Just an idea.

Anyway, huge congrats for breathing new life into the game.

-Temujin Reborn

P.S. If one gets the fighter stronghold isn't that castle just begging for Valen's own personal coffin for the times you decide to sleep there? (Bought, of course, for a substantial amount of gold by Mr.Bhaal Spawn himself...hehehe)

Thorium Dragon

« Reply #78 on: February 19, 2004, 03:54:07 PM »
I appreciate your enthusiasm, Temujin!

Your ideas are certainly solid, and I like the idea of having a cutscene, showcasing some of Valen's bloody past (and in your example present).

I'll have to think more on that...

I have given some extra thought to Valen and how she might interact within certain strongholds (mostly spurned on by this board), and I do have some scripting on what I think is a perfect stronghold scenerio for her.

khayman

« Reply #79 on: February 20, 2004, 05:03:50 PM »
I whole-heartedly recommend you to read Anne Rice`s novels if you want to know more about the romantic side of vampires and their feelings; well at least as she portrays them. And I must add that she has an attractive way of playing with ideas and melting them into words. Despite some people`s reluctancy, I am looking forward to this mod, your ideas are refreshing and seem interesting.

Besides, you have an extra-cool avatar. :P

Thorium Dragon

« Reply #80 on: February 20, 2004, 05:28:53 PM »
I spoke to a friend of mine who had read Anne Rice and wasn't too impressed.  I trust his taste on most things.  I don't rule out reading her work sometime.

I'm so far behind on my recreational reading, it is unlikely I will be able to add in anything else and expect it to get read anytime soon, unfortunatly.  If I did decide to look for any outside inspiration, my first read would be I, Strahd - set in the macabe D&D world of Ravenloft.

Glad you dig the avatar (I just wish I knew where I got it :) )
« Last Edit: February 20, 2004, 05:32:41 PM by Thorium Dragon »

Cybersquirt

« Reply #81 on: February 24, 2004, 07:03:37 PM »
of all the things I could ask, I'll take a 'wait and see' and limit myself to this:
why will this "romance" be limited to male PC's?

and a suggestion: read Anne Rice and judge for yourself.   -_-  

Thorium Dragon

« Reply #82 on: February 24, 2004, 08:49:57 PM »
of all the things I could ask, I'll take a 'wait and see' and limit myself to this:
why will this "romance" be limited to male PC's?

The most intimate aspects of a potential relationship between the PC and Valen will be limited to male characters but the all the character development and plot will be availible to PCs of either gender.  The "male only" parts consist of a very small percentage of total dialog.  I am considering putting in some "female only" dialog to balance it out.  It will basically depend on if I like what I write.

and a suggestion: read Anne Rice and judge for yourself.   -_-

Regarding Anne Rice (or any author): I always reserve final judgement of an author's work until I've read it.  It's just that as it stands now I have about 15 books I have yet to read that I have bought for myself or recived as gifts.

That number just is my recreational reading.  It doesn't account for the 10 or so technical books and required study that I need to accomplish for my career.

I love reading, of course, but as it stands now unless someone who knows my tastes very well (limited to a couple of friends) gives me a rave review of a book, I won't be reading it until I get done with all the reading I have now.  When I get a lukewarm opinion of a book that I would have considered, it goes to the back of what is now a very long line  ;)  

serjeLeBlade

« Reply #83 on: February 25, 2004, 06:49:46 AM »
I spoke to a friend of mine who had read Anne Rice and wasn't too impressed
Think I could guess what he was talking about...
Most unfortunately, some of Ann Rice's work can bore a man to death, and the poor guy doesn't even get to become a vampire in the process  :rolleyes:

Still, I think Queen of The Damned is worth reading.
(Most unfortunately again, watching the movie would be a total waste of time -- you have to read the book if you want any chance to figure out what's going on)

Otoh, Buffy made it in the mod and Queen Akasha didn't...
(but how could she? There was Bodhi already)

He he... my next npc... the one for your mod... will most likely be called Lestat...  :rolleyes: (poor Valen...)

Ah, just one last thing...

"As far as I know, powerful priestess of Shar don't get killed in their sleep by vampires very often... Things usually work the other way around, abbil... !"  ;)
- Viccy
« Last Edit: February 25, 2004, 06:56:44 AM by serjeLeBlade »

kinneer

« Reply #84 on: February 25, 2004, 10:47:15 AM »
Thorium, whatever you do...

FINISH THIS MOD, PLEASE!

I do not care what anyone says - what you are planning is most excellent. I will admit that I have never envisioned a change in lil' miss vampire due to the fact I found Valen to be an already perfect mod... However, that being said, after reading what you have planned I feel it will just further enhance and bring to life the existing character we've all come to love.

You already have 7 people in this household waiting on pins and needles to play it (my 6 kiddos and of course myself...lol). I'm sure the mod would be played by a LOT more people than you might think.

If you do not mind I do have one recommendation/idea: One of the things you could do to enhance her 'blood lust side of the story'(when or if needed) is to have her sneak off in the middle of the night while everyone else is resting and go kill someone (not NPC's though)... with dire consequences for you and the group. Heck, let it be someone of 'great importance'! Maybe make it like one of the dream sequences where you see what she is doing (although your character doesn't really know what she did), then have that character find out the hard way what his pet vampire did while he was resting his eyes... Maybe it is punishment to the protagonist for something he said totally wrong during a previous dialogue (do NOT make it the obvious choice in the dialogue though - let it be very unexpected indeed)? After all, vampires NEVER forget and very, very rarely forgive...lol

Just an idea.

Anyway, huge congrats for breathing new life into the game.

-Temujin Reborn

P.S. If one gets the fighter stronghold isn't that castle just begging for Valen's own personal coffin for the times you decide to sleep there? (Bought, of course, for a substantial amount of gold by Mr.Bhaal Spawn himself...hehehe)
Interesting idea on her sneaking off to feed or whatever but I wonder how this will be implemented successfully.

Having Valen in party limits the party to resting at daytime and working at night, pretty much adopting Valen's own working hours. Valen is awfully weak during day. At night the rest of the party is active so she is very unlikely to be able to sneak away at that time.

Just my opinion.

Cybersquirt

« Reply #85 on: February 25, 2004, 07:35:43 PM »
I am considering putting in some "female only" dialog to balance it out.  It will basically depend on if I like what I write.

That makes sense and I can appreciate that you may not be able to write fem-fem as well as fem-male.  I only ask because my idea of vampires (heavily inspired by Rice) is that they are neither heterosexual nor monagamous.. among other things.

..and yes, 'Queen of the Damned' is a good read but I liked 'The Vampire Lestat' as well, if not more so.  The third of the trilogy was a bit weak tho, IMO.

The movie was just plain ridiculous.  <_<  

Temujin Reborn

« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2004, 10:20:15 AM »
Kinneer, you have a good point there. I guess I hadn't thought of that technical point... I was just mainly concerned with having her sneak off in the middle of resting, be it night or day really.

You have a good eye for detail, kinneer ;)

I sure wished this mod was done and installed already...lol

-Temujin

Sure would be interesting to say the least if you were resting back the the ol' D'Arnisse hold in your bedroom only to wake up and see that SOMEONE snuck out of their coffin and killed the faithful butler...lol Hmm, wonder who could've put those purple puncture wounds into his neck :P

...Or to wake up and have the castle surrounded by NUMEROUS angry (to say the least) paladins over finding one of their own men sucked dry in broad daylight ... Knowing that the only day-walker (they know of) is your beloved Valen...lol Being LAWFUL they couldn't rightly just kill her before having substantial proof it truly was her - BUT - what if it wasn't her? And if it was her, then what? :)

Kish

« Reply #87 on: February 26, 2004, 11:16:27 AM »
Being LAWFUL they couldn't rightly just kill her before having substantial proof it truly was her
Well, yeah, they could.

She's a monster.  A bloodsucking corpse.  You don't need a crime to have been committed to kill a vampire.  Legally speaking, she's already dead.

Thorium Dragon

« Reply #88 on: February 26, 2004, 12:31:33 PM »
She's a monster.  A bloodsucking corpse.  You don't need a crime to have been committed to kill a vampire.  Legally speaking, she's already dead.
I'm sure the Paladins (and most of the living who like staying that way) would agree with this statement.

Regardless, I believe, if the party makes knowledge that they are associated with a vampire, especially one that can bypass their typically held weakness to daylight, they are just begging for big trouble from everybody.

Not just having paladins coming after them but to make it impossible to move freely about any city.

TheAngulion

« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2004, 09:22:04 PM »

As someone has already mentioned before, for each opponent out there, there is at least one supporter as well. Hence, please finish this mod, ThoriumDragon! I am really looking forward to it and will definitely download and try it! Some excellent ideas you have voiced.

« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2004, 10:52:56 PM »
First, I am just a guest who started visiting this board about a week ago. I know this is really "fast" reply(lol) since last reply is at Jan but regardless I want to say that it seems the argument is getting to the point which is more than necessary.  

Personally, I greatly enjoy Valen mod.  It is my favorite, and even if I don't plan to play the evil party or use Valen as a party member, it is a mod that is alwyas installed on my comp soon as BG2 is installed along ascension and tactics.  

What I want to say is-the idea of making an expansion of Valen sounds GREAT!  And I know there are awful number of people who agrees with me on this point-if you have a distaste for it because of your own perspective, don't play it.  Of course, some arguments on this board sound very logical and constructive.  But personally, please stop because I want the mod expansion to be out as soon as possible :)

For Thorium, I want to say that I really appreciate your work and I will eagerly wait for the release of the mod.  So work hard and know that there are lots of fan of yours in this world!

« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2004, 10:54:29 PM »
Oh oops, my bad:  I didn't even notice 3 pages of reply and it seems that my reply is in current :) anyways, good luck to you Thorium!

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2004, 04:51:27 PM »
How will this mod affect other mods out there?

Modda Masta

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2004, 05:02:24 PM »
may be compatible with valen mod

Xzar

« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2004, 10:32:01 AM »
What are the race/gender/class requirements for a romance?

Thorium Dragon

« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2004, 06:28:13 PM »
Probably Male Human, Elf, or Half-Elf for "romance".

All genders/races for all the other dialog and story.

Mah

« Reply #96 on: March 30, 2004, 11:35:38 AM »
Probably Male Human, Elf, or Half-Elf for "romance".

All genders/races for all the other dialog and story.
And of course half-orc. When you are playing evil, you want to take that unique chance of being evil orc-dude :)

So yeah, romancing with half-orc too. Maybe orcs have big d***s or something to make Valen interested :D

Baltrek

« Reply #97 on: March 30, 2004, 12:00:00 PM »
Mah-

That sort of comment is probably not the type of thing that is what many people would like to read.  They add nothing to the discussion, or creative suggestions pertinent to modding.  Please keep your comments clean.

But, I agree the game is in need of a half-orc romance.

Kish

« Reply #98 on: March 30, 2004, 12:05:19 PM »
But, I agree the game is in need of a half-orc romance.
Half-orcs can romance Viconia.

Trinin

« Reply #99 on: March 30, 2004, 01:54:37 PM »
Finally deciding to delurk! It's me! For those who know me will advise those who don't to RUN FOR YOUR LIVES. Now that the intro's out of the way I'll say my piece. Intresting idea, great that your doing it, can't wait to play it, I'm the only one alowed to make dirty comments, who actualy plays as a half orc (aside expermenting with the race), and Vicky good God who'd thrust her on any body?

Cheers~Everyones favorite incubus/ god of death/ kitsunes fox
« Last Edit: March 30, 2004, 01:56:11 PM by Trinin »

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: