Author Topic: Another priest bug/"feature"  (Read 8601 times)

Offline Jim

• Planewalker
Another priest bug/"feature"
« on: June 10, 2005, 05:22:26 PM »
On a recent trip through Amn with Valen, I noticed that virtually every priest in the game had a bone to pick with me.  I'd been expecting the Lathanderites and even the Helmites to take a dislike to me, but when I started getting attacked by the clerics of Talos, I knew something was wrong.  All of a sudden, a variety of enemies I didn't even know were priests decided they wanted to kill me.  And I'd been pretty sure that some of the hypocrites coming after me with stakes and garlic were evil themselves. My favorite case was in the drow city, where several of Lolth's clerics gave me the by-now familiar "What? You support this fiend?" outraged rant.  Oh, sure, various genocides of rival Underdark races and  summoning a demon lord are all cool, but I can't hang out with a vampire.  Nevermind that I was supposed to be disguised at the time. Oh, and needless to say, when the aforementioned priests came to that conclusion, so did every other drow in Ust Natha. 

It seems this part of the mod could use some tuning. 

From the readme:

"Non-Evil priests (aside from some key plot figures like Priestess Demin) will turn against your party if they see Valen in it."

I've read elsewhere that a lot of Bioware's alignment coding choices for BG2 are inexplicable, so perhaps predicating the priests' reactions on the coded alignment values isn't such a good idea?  Thoughts?

Offline Mangle Me Elmo

• Planewalker
Re: Another priest bug/"feature"
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 07:13:26 PM »
Almost all of the drow in Ust'Natha are actually Lawful Neutral.  I suspect the same is probably true for the Tallisans.  The only evil priests seem in the game seem to be Cyric's, as far as I can tell.

Offline Jim

• Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2005, 01:08:47 AM »
Almost all of the drow in Ust'Natha are actually Lawful Neutral.  I suspect the same is probably true for the Tallisans.  The only evil priests seem in the game seem to be Cyric's, as far as I can tell.

Interesting. Does anyone know how the mod is programmed?  Specifically, is the list of priests to be modded pregenerated, or is it generated at installation by checking all CRE files to see if each one represents a Good/Neutral priest?  In the latter case, installing Kish's alignment correction mod beforehand could probably fix this weird behavior, though creating a dependency on the component of a separate mod may be undesirable. 

Offline Borsook

• off topic
  • Planewalker
  • not a badger
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 03:25:30 AM »
If the mod checks aligment of the priest you might install oversight (hope it's this one ;)) which contains component changing aligment of NPC to more logical one, thus more of the afore mention priest should become evil and leave you be.
"Borsook seems like a pretty cool guy who offers his insight where appropriate... just very, very frequently." - Imrahil

Borsook's Chambers - Home of Borsook's Mods

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 06:09:26 PM »
I'll second Kish's Oversight, but I'll also change it from "non-evil" to "must-be-good".

Offline Jim

• Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 10:16:56 PM »
I'll second Kish's Oversight, but I'll also change it from "non-evil" to "must-be-good".

Thanks! 

Randomdude

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2006, 11:57:27 AM »
Yea i hate it too, i  was attacked by talons too, and the gnome in front of radiant heart attacked too.. Sunray --> boom and then all after me.. then i killed radiant heart dudes and then helm all the sudden is angry to me too. Dont know if i'lll ever finish this since even drows get angry  :-[

Morken

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2006, 08:05:18 AM »
My recent run-thru with Valen v45(as protagonist), I encountered these concerning priest attitudes:

* All priests of Illmater those humble guys in the poor areas had a kill on sight on Valen.
* One of the mods (forgot which) adds tougher town guards including 'militia clerics' who were hostile to V
* The gnome outside radiant Heart hostiles
* With the priests of Talos it was weird. When Valen snuck in to steal the Talos necklace, Mistress Ada (sleeping) would actually get up ON HER BED, go red and cast at Valen, then go prone again. Very weird.
To get the unseeing eye quest, Valen had to enter the place invis and then talk to one of the head priests for the quest.
If the other fellow was addressed first, he would hostile.
* the gnome merchant who sells freedom scrolls in underdark hostiles V
* The helmites at Watcher keep hostile V (had to reload over n over to pause at the right times and use staff of Magi to invis to get the quest going properly)
* The prostitute drow above the tavern in the Drow city hostile V which is weird.
* One of the statues in the Asylum maze (just prior to the slayer transformation) yells abuse at V
* I think Nalia's grandma or the bodyguard hostile V

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: