Author Topic: Installation Instructions  (Read 37600 times)

japheth

Installation Instructions
« on: September 13, 2003, 02:11:49 PM »
Here are the installation instructions taken straight from the Readme:

Edit by Ghreyfain: Updated as of March 14th, 2005.

Installing
1) If you haven't already, perform a Full Install of BG1. This could mean BG1, BG1 plus TotSC, or BG: The Original Saga, depending on what you've bought.  If you have the 6 CD set of BG1 (or 5, without the expansion), this means you should choose "custom install" and select everything.  Even movies.
2) Apply the BG1 patch from Bioware only if you do not have BG: The Original Saga.
3) If you haven't already, perform a Recommended or Full install of BG2. Throne of Bhaal is supported but not required.
4) Depending on what you have installed, apply the BG2 patch or ToB Patch from Bioware.
5) Extract bg1tutu_v(x).exe to your BGII directory. (Where x is the version number you’ve downloaded.)
6) Using a text editor like wordpad (don't use notepad, it's very confusing), PFE, ConTEXT, etc., go to your bg1tutu folder and open up the file named "configuration".  You need to edit the two lines named ~source~ and ~target~.  If you installation of BG1 was at C:gamesBG1 and your BG2 installation was in C:gamesBGII, your configuration file should wind up looking like this:

~source~            [ ~C:gamesBG1 ~]

~source.variant~ [ ~BG1~ ]

~target~            [ ~C:gamesBGII~ ]

~target.variant~ [ ~BG2~ ]

*Note that the path is case sensitive.  Capital and lower-case letters matter.
7) If you haven’t installed TotSC, download the file http://home.arcor.de/varana/RNDEQUIP.2DA into your bg1tutubg1-override folder.
8) Install any BG1 mods/upgrades that you will want to use in your BG1 directory.
Note: Most minor BG1 mods should convert correctly.  DSotSC does not.
9) Double-click bg1tutu.exe (it will be in your BGII directory) and let it run.
10) Just follow along after this and make whichever choices you wish.
11) Once BG1Tutu has finished installing, you should download and run Tutufix. It is absolutely required that you install at least the Core Bugfixes component.
12) After Tutufix has been installed, you should install any mods specifically tailored for Tutu.  See the BG1Tutu Enhancements page for a list.
13) If you want BG music, copy BG’s music folder into your BGII directory. (Make sure to rename BGII’s music folder to something else first so that you don’t overwrite BGII’s music.)
14) Play BG1Tutu by running “bgmain.exe” in your BG2 folder.  It may prompt you for your BG2 CD.
15) Have fun, you made it!

Uninstalling (Reverting back to BGII)
1) Run bg1tutu_restore.exe, which is located in your BGII directory.
2) Delete bg1tutu_restore.log.
3) Play BGII normally.
4) Optional: If you want to *completely* get rid of everything, then also delete the following files after running bg1tutu_restore.exe:

• bg1tutu folder
  • bg1tutu.exe
  • bg1tutu_restore.exe
  • setup-tutufix.exe
  • setup-tutufix.tp2
  • BG1Tutu_Readme.htm
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 02:49:17 PM by Ghreyfain »

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
Re: Installation Instructions
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2004, 01:37:22 AM »
Right.  Run that, and it should report successful restoration.  After that, run the BGmain.exe to start BG2 itself.  Once there, choose load a game, and select the one named "bg1tutu-transition".
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Catseye

• Elf lover
  • Planewalker
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2004, 10:12:50 AM »
Thank you, Ghreyfain for your help.  I really appreciate it!  :)
"Shall I describe it to you? Or would you like me to find you a box?"

Offline Catseye

• Elf lover
  • Planewalker
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 10:39:16 AM »
Ghreyfain, I ran the restore, then BG2 itself, selected load a game but there was nothing named "bg1tutu-transition".  I messed up and had to uninstall and reinstall everything.  I'm not sure what happened, but I did everything you said to do, but that one just did not show up.   :(

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 01:44:11 PM »
Hmm, okay.  I'll look into it for a future version of the fixpack.  It's been a while since I've been to that point in the game. :(

On the bright side, it should be no trouble to re-construct your PC's stats and the like using ShadowKeeper.  www.mud-master.com
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Catseye

• Elf lover
  • Planewalker
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 08:55:40 PM »
Yes, thank God for Shadow Keeper.  ;D

Offline truec

• Planewalker
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2004, 04:42:24 PM »
What do you mean by "1)  Make sure that you have a final save in your save directory."

Because I believe that's the reason I can't uninstall Tutu, a fact which has me rather annoyed.

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2004, 06:01:02 PM »
You don't need a final save to uninstall.  You just need one to bring your character across to BG2.
Beauty standing amidst fiery destruction.

Offline Caswallon

• Telvanni Archmagister
  • Planewalker
    • BG Forum
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2004, 09:44:32 AM »
Are you sure?
There was a time when restore.exe would complain and quit if you didn't have a save called "Final Save" in your folder. Whether it was an actual Final save or just a regular one with that name didn't matter.
Maybe that has changed; it was with v2 or so.
Man's Mystery
Man is mortal, and doomed to death and failure and loss.
This lies beyond our comprehension - why do you not despair?
--Spirit of the Daedra--

Offline RiikiTikiTavi

• Planewalker
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2004, 11:48:58 PM »
Ghreyfain, I ran the restore, then BG2 itself, selected load a game but there was nothing named "bg1tutu-transition".  I messed up and had to uninstall and reinstall everything.  I'm not sure what happened, but I did everything you said to do, but that one just did not show up.   :(

Among my other problems getting the various Tutu tweaks to work is this one as well: no bg1tutu-transition in save games.

But it is just one of several problems. Somehow I'm missing files here and there; some things install just fine, but naturally the things I most want will not. Oh, well; back to uninstalling-reinstalling in the hopes that something takes! :P

Offline RiikiTikiTavi

• Planewalker
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2004, 08:19:46 PM »
Well, I got it to work! And this may help others have the same "d'oh!" problem.

What I have is not the 5 BG disks but the 3-disk "Original Saga." When you are installing it, you are offered three options, which are the Custom, Minimal, and Recommended. If you click on "Custom," there is a very alarming dialog that, if you don't read it closely, seems to indicate that this is a more minimal than the "Minimal" install. However, if you read more carefully, then you see that the total number of MB in the "Custom" install can exceed that of the Minimal one. So ... I checked everythinig on the "Custom" install, and lo! all the mods, from NPC banters to the core TutuFix components, loaded perfectly.

No doubt this is completely obvious to all the geeks out there, but from reading other posts this seems a fairly common mistake. Might be a good idea to include a line in the installation instructions to indicated that "Custom" = "Full" install.

(Incidently, I first played BG on my Mac, and what I remember is that "Full install" was not even an option. There was a Mac Infinity web site that included instructions on what to do to *make* BG a full-install game so you only needed one disk, but I don't remember what that site was.)

Offline snr-j

• Planewalker
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2004, 11:08:49 AM »
I'm encountering the same "no bg1tutu-transition in save games" problem when installing this mod ... has anyone solved this problem? I think I'm on my 3rd full installing now ...

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2004, 04:45:52 PM »
Yeah, the problem was that tutu wouldn't create the saved game unless the folder already existed.  There's a fix for this in V5 of the fixpack.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Offline Bons

• Global Moderator
  • Planewalker
  • Glad Corvis Isn't Dead Club
« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2004, 09:30:41 PM »
I just installed Tutu for the first time using a copy of The Original Saga. It was effortless. Thank you for the excellent install instructions.
Newt had always suspected that people who regularly used the word "community" were using it in a very specific sense that excluded him and everyone he knew.

--Neil Gaiman, Terry Pratchett, "Good Omens"

karatekid

Linux, TuTu, and you :)
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2004, 03:29:13 AM »
http://forums.bioware.com/viewtopic.html?topic=400830&forum=17

TuTu installs thru Point2Play/Cedega just fine.  Original issues I had posted to this forum were user error :)

Offline DrAJ

• Planewalker
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2005, 11:11:46 AM »
Right.  Run that, and it should report successful restoration.  After that, run the BGmain.exe to start BG2 itself.  Once there, choose load a game, and select the one named "bg1tutu-transition".

A quick question (could not find in faq) . If i have started bgtsc and have a saved game - can i now instal tutu and continue that saved game?

Thanks!

Offline Ashara

• Tired
  • Planewalker
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2005, 12:58:19 PM »
No, due to the nature of the conversion you cannot use the saved game from BG1 proper.
Hang in there. I'll try to make you glad you did.
—George R.R. Martin

There is nothing better than imagining other worlds [...] to forget the painful one we live in. At least so I thought then. I hadn't yet realized that, imagining other worlds, you end up changing this one.
-Umberto Eco, Baudolino

Three mods you shall make - one too bad and one to dread and one to love.

Offline DrAJ

• Planewalker
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2005, 02:49:54 PM »
No, due to the nature of the conversion you cannot use the saved game from BG1 proper.

Thank you for your responce!

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2005, 08:31:14 PM »
when i try using the bg1tutu restore i get an error
this is from bg1tutu_restore.log:

WeiDU v 128 Log

H:\spil\Black Isle\BGII - tutu\bg1tutu_restore.exe
      BG1Tutu Restore (version 2)
Removing override, dialog.tlk, chitin.key, baldur.ini
and BGMain.exe and restoring backups.

ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(1, "unlink", "dialog.tlk")

What can I do about that?

Offline kuhl

• Planewalker
« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2005, 09:27:42 PM »
for some reason it works now, but the bg1tutu-transition save does not appear on the load screen and when i look in the folder it is empty. So I checked the log file and the 4 lines looks like this:

[save/000000002-final-save/baldur.gam] loaded, 197228 bytes
Baldur.gam successfully loaded in final save directory
[bg1tutu/backup/baldur.gam] loaded, 10324 bytes
Creating bg1tutu-transition directory

Is that right or is something missing?

Niflheim

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2005, 11:30:00 AM »
Question, after i beat the game and i do the restoration can i then add into BG2 the mods i would like? Or do i have to put those BG2 mods in before i install tutu?
I believe that this has been asked before however i would rather ask in my own way and avoid hours of problems.
Thank you for your time.

Offline Ghreyfain

• PPG
  • Planewalker
    • Pocket Plane Group
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2005, 12:02:16 PM »
Your best bet would be to install BG2 mods after having uninstalled Tutu, yeah.  If nothing else, it'll save you some hard drive space with the backups Tutu makes before it runs.
Earn Money Sleeping.

Niflheim

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 12:48:18 PM »
Thanks pirate man!

underdog

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2005, 12:17:49 AM »
does Tutu make changes to the BG1/TotSC directory?

Installed the sirens call V2, and it removed the ammo stacking so I tried to reinstall the G3 tweak pack for the ammo stacking, it failed miserably, so I thought i'd be cool, move the saved games, configuratin files that had to be modified deleted the Tutu directory thinking I could start over, using the 2 installs method which worked the first time.
Copied the BG2 files like last time,which was already patched with Bioware TOB, Baldurdash TOB, moved the conf. and save game files back.
extracted the Tutu v4, ran.
G3 Tutu tweaks v9
G3 BG1NPC
the Grey Clan V1.75
Sirens call V2
Indira V5
Tutu fixpack V7
Got an error during the install, do you want the 380K debug file, 39K zipped?
or try it again in a different order.

I see i also DL and must have installed them before,
G3 tweaks V8, buti don't think I did that after Tutu last time, it don't look like  a post Tutu fix.

I also had another arror crop up before installing the sirens call v2, whenever I hit the map in the lighthouse area, it would desktop with no error. hoping the V2 might fix that also, But I guess I won't find out now for a while.

Offline drosketer

• Planewalker
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2005, 09:47:53 AM »
You might be getting hit with the following issue:
http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=2832&view=findpost&p=28173

I recently tried to do a fresh conversion and got hit - no TuTu for me for the time being.   :'(  Basically, most (actually "all" I think) of the stacking tweaks from the fixpack error out.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: