Author Topic: What would be the minimum specs of the PC?  (Read 2011 times)

Mictlan

What would be the minimum specs of the PC?
« on: June 02, 2003, 06:46:07 PM »
I'm planning to get Ascension in my BGII setup, but I'm starting to get a little nervous if it will run in my PC.

My specs are as follows:

Dual PIII 1.26 GHz 512 Mb L2 cache
512 MB of DDR RAM
GeForce 2 GTS Pro

Is this enough to have Ascension running with almost all the eye candy on, or do I need to back from 1024 to 800 resolution?

Can I run it with Tactics on also?

Rassadihn

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2003, 06:07:57 AM »
Your specs are more than enough. I'm running 800 x 600 presently on a measly Celeron 500 with 192 MB and a Rage Mobility, and provided I remember to turn off DirectDraw acceleration, I can pretty much handle any fight. I can even run 1024x768 if I want to, but this is sluggish.

The simple answer is: just try it out. If it doesn't work, you'll notice that it doesn't work, at which point you can just reconfigure. The auto-save should be enough to recover from mishaps should you get a crash due to graphics overload (which is rare). I cannot stress two things enough, though:

- At the first sign of display troubles, disable 3D effects. Trust me, you're not missing much with this turned off, and many people have reported visual glitches or noticeable slowdowns.

- Even before any trouble, turn off DirectDraw acceleration. (Yes: *off*. The designers had some bad candy before they sat down to write the graphics engine). You do this with Start -] Run... -] "dxdiag" -] Display -] Disable. This will nearly always speed up the game, especially in fights involving lots of effects or huge creatures (like dragons). The only drawback is that you have to remember to turn it back on for pretty much anything else.

klaussner

« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2003, 11:46:20 AM »
I run ascencion with a p-II 350Mhz , a ge-force 2 and 191 Mo ram.
Rassadihn, this is a pretty dumb question I assume, but do you have to disable direct draw if you use the opengl driver? Is there a better opengl driver than the default one available?

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: