Author Topic: Eclipse  (Read 6294 times)

Magellan

Eclipse
« on: May 24, 2003, 10:27:01 PM »
WOW.  Just finished the battle with those Eclipse guys.  Man was that tuff.  Really enjoyed it very challenging.  How do you exit their plane?  My pocket plane just warps me back in.  Had to use console to jump to area.  Thanks for all the hard work with Solaufin it is making the second time around BG2 very fun.  You did a great job!! Thanks again.

esabulao

Eclipse
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2003, 04:02:45 AM »
I believe there is an exit in the area. Try checking somewhere on the east side of the place they teleport you to. There should be some sort of stairs.

Blackfey

Eclipse
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2003, 01:11:38 PM »
I've completed that Sola romance but still haven't seen Eclipse. Did I do something wrong? Are there certain preconditions that have to be met before it kicks in?  I'm currently in ToB and would love to try my hand at this battle. Any advice is appreciated.

Offline weimer

• Planewalker
    • WeiDU and Weimer Mods
Eclipse
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2003, 06:26:53 PM »
(0) Just walk out the door at the top of the stairs on the right side of the screen.
(1) The README contains a hack for jump-starting the Eclipse if you want to do it now.
(2) You must defeat either Sendai or Abazigal before it starts normally.
(3) Sola will say something (I'm vastly paraphrasing) like "I had a dream where we got our heads handed to us on platters." You will have the option to say "no, no! no more fighting!" If you say that, you will skip the Eclipse. So be sure to pick the "bring it on!" option.  

L_Jonté

Eclipse
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2003, 01:59:03 AM »
WHAT!?  You mean we can skip the Eclipse battle?  

We can skip the use-control-Y-or-have-our-asses-handed-to-us fight!?  I had no idea.

Kish

Eclipse
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2003, 02:27:45 AM »
You can now.

You couldn't always.

L_Jonté

Eclipse
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2003, 11:45:00 AM »
Ahhhh...  Well that's different then.  Glad to know that I wasn't enduring that humiliation unnecessarily.

Kiki

Eclipse
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2003, 06:28:44 PM »
Sorry, dear, it's been an option for a long time--at least a year, I think. Just chalk up your humiliation as your very special offering to the god of wasted time.

Userunfriendly

Eclipse
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2003, 11:02:19 PM »
Ahhhh...  Well that's different then.  Glad to know that I wasn't enduring that humiliation unnecessarily.
heck...I've always enjoyed eclipse...

read my signature for cheesy tips... :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

L_Jonté

Eclipse
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2003, 11:10:03 PM »
Sorry, dear, it's been an option for a long time--at least a year, I think. Just chalk up your humiliation as your very special offering to the god of wasted time.
The God of Wasted Time has had far too many offerings from me over the years.  Dammit.   [_[  

L_Jonté

Eclipse
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2003, 11:12:14 PM »
Ahhhh...  Well that's different then.  Glad to know that I wasn't enduring that humiliation unnecessarily.

Well, I enjoyed the banter the first time through, but getting my ass kicked repeatedly (even in a virtual setting), tends to ear down the ego.  All hail the Godly Omnipower that is Control-Y!

Aubrey

Eclipse
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2003, 03:30:23 PM »
Ahhhh...  Well that's different then.  Glad to know that I wasn't enduring that humiliation unnecessarily.

Well, I enjoyed the banter the first time through, but getting my ass kicked repeatedly (even in a virtual setting), tends to ear down the ego.  All hail the Godly Omnipower that is Control-Y!
Don't feel lonely over there. Eclipse battle is the only one I have never managed to win. My biggest accomplishment has been Improved Irenicus, but as far as that.

BTW, I would feel more humiliated if I had to lower the difficulty to Novice in order to beat Eclipse-take-your-a**-on-a-plate party.

Userunfriendly

Eclipse
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2003, 05:32:56 PM »
took me a while too...until I finally refined my sequential sunfires of uber doom and figured out the spawn triggers...

but alson came up with the winner...telly field....and of course I added the refinement...imp haste and regeration cleric spell...

next time, I plan to bunny nuke them. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

L_Jonté

Eclipse
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2003, 09:24:21 PM »
Don't feel lonely over there. Eclipse battle is the only one I have never managed to win. My biggest accomplishment has been Improved Irenicus, but as far as that.

Good to know it's not just me.   B)
« Last Edit: May 28, 2003, 09:24:32 PM by L_Jonté »

Kiki

Eclipse
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2003, 01:51:52 AM »
I won the Eclipse fight handily the first time I tried it, and was congratulating myself with a certain amount of astonishment ... until I realized that somebody had turned the difficulty level down to Easy. After I changed it back to core rules, it took me a couple of days to get past them. Doh!

I think Archryssa was harder, though. I spent more hours on that battle than I care to remember.

Eclipse
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2003, 03:12:31 AM »
Actually, I managed the Eclipse party pretty well last time I played through. Mainly, I think I managed so well because I've always liked the Teleport Field spell, something about watching enemies bouncing all over the place makes me happy. That, and I always have a Nukem Fast Sorc in the party ready to unleash Horrid Wilting Doom on anyone who ticks me off. It took me a couple reloads, and I never managed to get out of it unscathed, but I aquitted myself quite well. Sola's TS immunity makes it a lot easier, especially when you know how to abuse it, as I learned from Elmonster's Journal and his battle with Demogorgon. Time Stop + Harm is about Aerie's only redeeming factor, as it tends to work fairly well against the Eclipse Mages.

KaPe

Eclipse
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2003, 06:05:26 AM »
Nobody meeleed them? I'm a bit dissapointed with you, people :D  "Sunfires of doom", "TS + harm", "Telly Field", where's good old "cleave them in half w/o vorpals"? Assasination does the job very nicely :rolleyes: I've yet to fight them with Sola on my side, but it would be *much* harder if they had SI:Abj^^

L_Jonté

Eclipse
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2003, 10:30:15 AM »
I won the Eclipse fight handily the first time I tried it, and was congratulating myself with a certain amount of astonishment ... until I realized that somebody had turned the difficulty level down to Easy. After I changed it back to core rules, it took me a couple of days to get past them. Doh!

I think Archryssa was harder, though. I spent more hours on that battle than I care to remember.
Somebody?  *snort*

As for Achryssa, the battle depends on when/where it's staged.  If you get lucky enough to be jumped in close quarters you can use the tight spaces to your advantage.  (And, if Sola has "Repulse Undead", you need not worry about half of her henchmen.)  Also properly used, a wand of cloudkill is a mighty, mighty thing.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 10:30:30 AM by L_Jonté »

Aubrey

Eclipse
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2003, 02:30:31 PM »
Nobody meeleed them? I'm a bit dissapointed with you, people :D  "Sunfires of doom", "TS + harm", "Telly Field", where's good old "cleave them in half w/o vorpals"? Assasination does the job very nicely :rolleyes: I've yet to fight them with Sola on my side, but it would be *much* harder if they had SI:Abj^^
Melee them?? Melee them?? With 45% resistance against slash and crash attacks?? You are kidding, right? If you are such a brave lad, set the difficulty to Hard and above: they are also protected with Death Ward. *Heheheh*

@ Kiki --

Archryssa wasn't so hard, believe me. Actually, once I thought she wasn't a walk on the park, it was relatively easy to find a plan to beat her. It took me a couple of reloads, yes, but she was manageable.  

Eclipse
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2003, 03:40:48 PM »
I leave the meleeing to the muscle-bound louts I bring along, like Sarevok and Minsc. Most of the time I play a Sorcerer or Mage/Thief, so the thought of meleeing is abhorrent. Sure, I throw a tank at them to distract and hopefully hurt them, but I refuse to risk my beloved spell-hurling cutpurse in something so ignoble as melee, especially when I see all the nasty things the Eclipse weapons can do. No, I'd much rather hurl every spell I have at them than try to match them swing for swing. Besides, Mislead+SI:Div+Improved haste makes for a much safer version of assasinate as long as I remember to cast Invisibility or Improved Invisibility on the clone. And there's always the infamous Nuke 'em with Dragon's Breath Til They Cry tactic.

Kiki

Eclipse
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2003, 08:38:43 PM »
I've yet to fight them with Sola on my side
How did you do that? Did you kick him out of your party and then summon the Eclipse crew, or did you just lose him right at the beginning of the battle?

Eclipse wasn't so bad once I got smart and hucked a couple of insect swarm-type spells at their spellcasters.

I got Archryssa pretty early on, pre-Bodhi, so didn't have Repulse Undead. In that game, I only did enough Ch. 2 quests to get enough money to get to Spellhold, so I was running around after the Underdark trying to get some xp under my belt when she showed up.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2003, 08:39:13 PM by Kiki »

Aubrey

Eclipse
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2003, 09:17:28 PM »
You were running around? You had been lucky! The first time my party had just woken up, outside Watcher's Keep; the second time she appeared just as we are going out of Valygar's little cabin in the country... completely unprepared both times.

KaPe

Eclipse
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2003, 01:40:07 PM »
How did you do that? Did you kick him out of your party and then summon the Eclipse crew, or did you just lose him right at the beginning of the battle?

I Clua'd them in :D Actually, I think I used Sola once in this combat, but first time I heard about them I was already in ToB, and didn't want to summon Sola and level him up^^ But the only time I used him, he did make a difference. Actually, it was a bit too easy^^

Aubrey :"Melee them?? Melee them?? With 45% resistance against slash and crash attacks?? You are kidding, right? If you are such a brave lad, set the difficulty to Hard and above: they are also protected with Death Ward. *Heheheh*"

I did killed them on hard^^, and actually I did it when they had Death Ward on Core(one of earlier versions) And I didn't say "run at them all at once like idiots" - remove magic works very nice, and with slow it's almost 90% work done. If that's too much of magic for you to consider it "meelee"^^, there's armor of faith + hardiness + helmet with 40% crushing res = much more than "45% resistance":D With CH and IH as well. And no, no Deathbringer Assault or Vorpals. I'd bring a screen, but they're not in English, so it would only confuse you :) All my sorc did, was dispell them, and hide^^.

As for Archryssa - I was lucky, or abused a bug^^ - I breached her immediately after she appeared, and she got her "second wind" at the very beginning. Less things to worry about later :rolleyes:  

Leonardo

Eclipse
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2003, 03:07:08 PM »
The only time I fought them I had way more XP than the default for it (PC Fighter/Thief, Sola, Tashia, Kelsey, Keldorn and Jaheira about 6 million XP each); managed on the first try without pre-buffing. In fact, having no buffs lead me to the key to success.
When I tought "well, since I have nothing up..." my first action was a dispel magic from Keldorn right in the middle of them, followed by Sola dimension dooring to the casters, PC activating assassination, Kelsey and Tashia casting improved alacrity and Jaheira activating Greater whirlwind.
Keldorn's dispel removed some of their annoying buffs, and their sorcerers dragon's breath activated Kelsey's and Tashia's Chain Contingencies at 50% Health (3x Abu Dalzim at nearest enemy each) interrupting their castings of improved alacrity : (
Jaheira, Keldorn and PC gang up on their fighters one at a time while Sola hacks away with Tsuki no Ken and Flail of Ages at the casters, his innate MR protecting him from the nastiest attacks. At the first Total Eclipse two of the figthers and the Sorcerer were dead, one of the fighters injured. During the Total Eclipse, Sola runs up and finishes the lone fighter. Tashia and Kelsey drink some tea totally forgotten at a corner safe from harm's way.
Keldorn's dispels, both from innates and from carsomyr were the key
« Last Edit: May 30, 2003, 03:08:10 PM by Leonardo »

Aubrey

Eclipse
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2003, 11:35:43 AM »
I did killed them on hard^^, and actually I did it when they had Death Ward on Core(one of earlier versions) And I didn't say "run at them all at once like idiots" - remove magic works very nice, and with slow it's almost 90% work done. If that's too much of magic for you to consider it "meelee"^^, there's armor of faith + hardiness + helmet with 40% crushing res = much more than "45% resistance":D With CH and IH as well. And no, no Deathbringer Assault or Vorpals. I'd bring a screen, but they're not in English, so it would only confuse you :) All my sorc did, was dispell them, and hide^^.

I wish I would be such a good player myself. The times I had tried to fight them, they were moving unbelievably fast.

Oh, well. It seems PS:Torment was the right game for me. At least your Wisdom and Intelligence pay back in dialogues. Not necessary to fight all the time.  :rolleyes:  

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: