Author Topic: Children of Bhaal  (Read 28528 times)

Riona

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #50 on: June 03, 2003, 12:30:21 PM »
Well, they did destroy the city of Saradush in ToB, which afaik is not a part of the official timeline.
That's not what I meant.

I mean the idea that the Time of Troubles took place for years and years, which likely would have destabilized the whole Realms (I'm not sure AO would have even allowed that).  It was bad enough that it happened at all.

The designers tend not to mess with stuff like that; destroying a city (a minor one at that) is one thing, for example, but it wasn't like they made Bane return eariler than he should have or turned Cyric into a good god.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 12:33:32 PM by Riona »

NiGHTMARE

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #51 on: June 03, 2003, 01:25:05 PM »
Oh, okay then :)

While we're on the subject of the Time of Troubles, one thing I've always wondered: were only the Human Faerunian Pantheon forced to walk Toril, or were other Pantheons (e.g. Elven, Maztican, etc) brought there as well?
« Last Edit: June 03, 2003, 10:16:38 PM by NiGHTMARE »

Mikka

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #52 on: June 03, 2003, 05:19:44 PM »
All had to.
However, we're given very little information on most of what they did.  However, any god with any following in Faerun was forced to have an avatar there.  Admitedly, it was a bigger deal for gods such as Bane, Lathander, Mystra, and the like, due to the fact that they only had one crystal sphere under their hold.  For Lloth, Tiamat, and the like, if their avatar would have died in Faerun, it would have just been like 'Well, I have five hundred prime worlds worshiping me, the loss of one wouldn't hurt much'.

We're never given any proof that the gods of Kara-Tur, Zakhara and the like were walking the land, however, priests lost their abilities to cast spells, dead magic areas appeared, and strange things did happen in those countries, thus giving us a hint that at the very least, the people were cut off from the gods, at the worst, they did walk the land as did the Faerun ones.

BTW, the Time of Troubles happened for around three months, all in the 'Summer'.  It was pretty quick.

Offline Andyr

• Dance Commander
  • Planewalker
    • The Gibberlings Three IE mod community
Children of Bhaal
« Reply #53 on: June 14, 2003, 09:18:48 AM »

To start with the very beginning, Bhaal could have know about the his death thousans of year before if the overlord had let him (we arent told anything about that), Abizigal and his son are both half dragons wich mean the age a little slower than humans, Aloundo or what ever that fools name was made many foreseeings wich only about 10 of them ever came true (the BS afair is included).

I'm fairly sure it says in the rule books that Savras revealed to ALaundo only visions that would come true.
"We are the Gibberlings Three, as merry a band as you ever did see..." - Home of IE mods

<jcompton> Suggested plugs include "Click here so Compton doesn't ban me. http://www.pocketplane.net/ub"

I am unfortunately not often about these days so the best way to get hold of me is via email.

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #54 on: June 17, 2003, 06:31:47 AM »
All the gods were cast down from Kara Tur to Maztica to the demihuman gods. You can find references in old 2ed Sourcebooks, and the old FR comics had a running story (which dealt with Corellon and Moradin I think fighting over some artifact). The Forgotten realms forums on the WOTC website has more than a few posts on the subject...

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #55 on: June 18, 2003, 06:24:05 AM »
My bad, it was actually Clangeddin Silverbeard and Labelas Enoreth,.
The pansey elf won..

Entreri

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #56 on: June 30, 2003, 11:46:13 AM »
It has been brought up that the DM has full control over what happens in their campaign. It is the same story with a computer game - the designers are the DM. They can bend rules for their campaign (the game), they can contradict other campaigns and lore because of this power.
 This means that they could very well have made the time of troubles last longer for the purposes of this game, which they DM.

Eld/Dwarf aging faster would be noticed - so, maybe, more people than Gorion knew that you were a Bhaalspawn. This would also explain how Sarevok recognised the taint in you, and not in Imoen. Someone told him. "Oh", you say, "but that would only work for a non-human PC" - unless there was also some other reason why others knew. So, lets see if there's any evidence ingame to support this... dum, de dum... why, yes there is. When Gorion talks to you in the Pocket Plane, he gives the impression that he had acomplices, that somebody else knew what he was doing, and what was happening. "But", you say, "wouldn't everyone in Candlekeep have noticed if the PC was a rapidly ageing Elf"... not if Gorion & Co had illusioned you to look like what you aged as (human). Which could be why Sarevok killed Gorion - he wanted to figure out which one was you, and the illusion wore off when Gorion fell. Why, then, did your avatar not change at that point ?? Well, maybe *you* didn't see yourself as any other than what you actually were.
And so why wasn't Imoen betrayed to Sarevok ?? Because only Gorion knew that she was Bhaalspawn. Evidence from TOB suggests that she was rescued at a different time to you. Maybe she just wondered in from the street. Gorion could very well have trained himself to recognise Bhaalspawn, explaining how he knew Imoen was one. It is obvious that this is possible - Irenicus seems to be able to do it, Mellisan can do it, The Five would be lost without it. "But", say you, "all but Irenicus have connections with Bhaal, and Jon could have just done his research well". Well, say I, maybe Gorion was another Bhaalspawn, or a former follower of Bhaal, who, like Balthazar, is trying to prevent Bhaal's return. There is no evidance against this in the game, and it would also explain how he knew about Alianna's task.

As for the year the game takes place, well, maybe the town cryers are behind the times ?? Maybe the programmers put them in for a laugh ??
Gorion definetly was not the only one who knew who you were a Bhaalspawn. For a start there's the letter from Elminster that show up on his body where he talks of it, and he was obviously trying to group up with you when Gorion was killed. I wouldn't be suprised if Tethtoril knew either, considering how closely in contact with the gods he is.

Iacobus

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #57 on: September 03, 2003, 07:09:19 AM »
As a thought, this discussion seems to focuss on Bhaalspawn being too young. But what about that rabbit Bhaalspawn in the Marching Mountains? Even born towards the end of the Time of Troubles, he should have been long dead by the time you got there (I've never heard of a fourteen-year old rabbit)

Daggerless

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2003, 08:22:59 PM »
I know that the Baldur's Gate series is an adaptation of Ad&d 2e rules and not d&d 3e rules.  I also know nothing about deity rules in 2e either.  But it might be interesting to know that according to 3e rules (D&D 3e: Dieties and Demigods), our little Bhaalspawn(s) would have a Divine rank of 0.  He would be a quasi-diety (aka hero deity).  And for game balancing purposes, would have to be left out of any game.  This also means that out Bhaalspawn(s) would be naturally immortal, would not age, eat, breath or sleep.  Now I could go into detail on every other ability or power that they would get but that wouldn't add anything to this thread.  But, I think this might at least explain the rabbit Bhaalspawns age.  No matter how silly it sounds.  I guess for the others, they would age until adulthood then stop aging.  As for the dates I dont think any explantion makes any sense, because they simply got them wrong.  <_<  

Necaradan

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #59 on: September 13, 2003, 12:55:58 PM »
Bhaal powers manifested differently in different Bhaalspawns like Viekangs teleport ability so maybe some had rapid aging or immortality

-$ocrates

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2004, 12:49:00 PM »
hmm this seems to be a very old thread lol. Anyways about bhaal well I am working on a unofficial expansion for Neverwinter Nights. Called shadows of Bhaal and it is suppost to take place 4 years after when the child of Bhaal aquired godhood. (I took godhood because my charecter was Lawful evil) so in turn those people that did choose this path means that Bhaal is not dead. Bhaal also died by the hands of cyric at Boaraskyr Bridge. And the water by that bridge to this day still has Bhaal's taint within it.

So heres what the expansion is going to be about. The intro movie will tell the history of bhaal, and his companions in 1358. And also about my charecter in baldurs gate 1 and baldurs gate 2 all the way to tob when i aquired godhood. Then after that in the last battle my charecter and her companions were never seen again. Some people think the bhaal child is dead.. but some others do not believe that she is because elminster himself still feels the taint in the land of Fearun.

anyways heres the story..... (I have been writing this for weeeks please give me info on were you think i may be missing out information.. i need feedback)

The Shadows Of Bhaal
---------------------------

Prologue:
Three years ago a woman by the name of Vixen Lancaster found out that she was a child of Bhaal. Vixen and her companions Imoen, Sarevok, Korgan, and Viconia had battled many monsters and foes in hopes of glory and that Vixen would become the next Lord of Murder. One year after of long traveling Vixen and her group defeated all the other children of Bhaal in the wastelands of Tethyr. She then claimed herself the new Lord of Murder, and aquired godhood.

However, after the final battle in Tethyr, the entire area was destroyed. None of her companions or Vixen Lancaster were to be seen again. Some say Vixen Lancaster and her companions were thrown into the outer plane. Some others say that there is no Lord of Murder anymore because Bhaal had died by the hands of Cyric, and that Vixen was the only remaining Mortal who could take up the mantle of Dark Lord, but she couldn't because she was destroyed in the last battle.

There are prophets and famous wizards like Elminster who do not believe that she is dead, but that she will return to take what is rightfully hers and make one of Faeruns lands her own domain. Elminster also believes that Vixen was once a good person, but fell into the influence of her evil father Bhaal. And even now she is scheming to bring her father back to life. Strange happinings have already started in the city of Waterdeep. There are Assassins of which only come out at night. Killing swiftly at night leaving only a mark of a skull on the neck of there victims. Strange cultists have been seen around the woods outside of Waterdeep. And a billowing dark clowd of toxic fumes is slowly making it's way over Waterdeep The City of Splendors. The prophecy of the child of Bhaal has come. The rise of a long dead god may be reborn, and the fate of a nation may be in your hands. What part will you play in the events that are to come. Which side will you choose?

Note: By the way I always though bioware were lacking "path taking" in there games so there will be 3 differnt paths for the pc's to take from each of the alignment pools, good, neutral, or evil

destroy vixen and get rid of bhaal for good, do not destroy bhaal and watch the city crumble before you, join vixen and ressurect the long dead bhaal at Boaraskyr Bridge then destroy all of waterdeep and make the nation her own domain to rule
« Last Edit: January 24, 2004, 01:05:18 PM by -$ocrates »

Seifer

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #61 on: January 25, 2004, 06:10:08 AM »
It may be better if you posted this in the general forum and generated a discussion on it.  We don't have any aurora mods here, active ones by any means.

You might even get hosted if you make enough progress and/or set-up a team.

Good luck

Seif

Iluvatar

Children of Bhaal
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2004, 06:17:39 PM »
The Silvery Figure being the DM is only one opinion- the writers haven't issued a true or false. Other ideas are that it's the spirit of Toril (the land itself), Death (with a capital D!), Io (perhaps), Alastor (that would be cool, but no), Asmodeus (I wish), the first High Magi (I doubt it), the Writer (likely, writers are prone to doing that), the first dragon (another doubtful one), the Wanderer (yet another doubtful one), Graz'zt (um, no no no), Rajaat (how in the world would Rajaat be overpowering Ao?), the Dark Powers (that would be more then slightly frightening), the Lady of Pain (since when was she Silvery White? And why would she care about some stupid Prime World?), a Rilmani

umm i was just wondering who Alastor, asmodeus, the wander, graz'zt, rajaat are? and whats a rilmani?  :wacko:  

Offline jcompton

• Niche Exploiter
  • Administrator
  • Planewalker
Re: Children of Bhaal
« Reply #63 on: May 20, 2004, 10:24:17 PM »
Ketchup... catsup... catch up?

Tanthalas     
Posted: May 13 2004, 06:09 AM

OK, this is an old discussion that's been raging for a year or more now. My two cents on this (I apologize for stuff that sounds far-fetched; I'm DMing a Ravenloft campaign with a lot of time-travel and stuff these days, so my explanations for inconsistencies I didn't notice have to be quick and a litte odd =) )

I'm not particularly conversant in FR lore - I only read some of the books (Salvatore's first two trilogies) and played the BG series. So I'm sorry for any problems that may crop up here... if there any, please let me know and maybe we can patch together some kind of version of this story that's acceptable to all.

Now, let's start with Alaundo. He apparently recieved visions directly from Savras, which means that any gods (or Powers) would probably keep an ear open to what he had to say, if only as a source of information. Bhaal heard a prophecy of his death and his spawn ("the Lord of Murder will perish, but in his doom he shall spawn a score of mortal progeny") and also of the Time of Troubles (one of the chanters in Candlekeep in BGI mentions this). With godly intuition, intelligence, vision and time, he connected these two events and planned accordingly. He also foresaw the possibility of returning through his children, prompting him to follow the prophecy (which creates the interesting paradox - did the prophecy cause what it was predicting? =) ). All this happened long (thousands of years) before BG takes place.

Bhaal secretly wandered the earth up to thousands of years before the Time of Troubles. This explains the age differences between the PC and Sarevok, Imoen and the Five (specifically Sendai, Yaga-Shura and Abazigal). If he was banished to the Outer Planes during this time, that doesn't mean he couldn't entrust some of his "most trusted Deathstalkers" with rites that would allow them to channel his essence into concieved children - he doesn't have to create them himself, after all! Surely a tailor-made godly ritual of som sort could produce a similar result.
During the Time of Troubles, Bhaal walks the earth and is killed, but his taint remains at the place of his death (pointing towards his continued existence in some form). Now BGI begins. Sarevok is older than the PC and also more mature, lacking their sheltered existence. Imoen is younger and even less mature. The PC may be 14 or 15, but has perhaps matured quicker than one might expect of a normal child of their race - after all, who can predict the effects of godly blood on any child? Imoen may lack the same speed due to her lesser taint and, especially, due to her suppression of her Bhaalish nature by her natural, sunny disposition. The PC hasn't been noticed in Candlekeep - at least, not by most of the monks - since Gorion brought him at an ambiguous age. A large (or precocious) child at 5 may be taken for 8 or 9, which would shield the PC's strangely fast development to maturity. Those who might have looked closely (Tethtoril, Ulraunt) and seen the oddity could either have been assisting the Harpers by their silence (after all, Elminster's involved) or unable to fathom the meaning of the events. Now Sarevok, physically and emotionally older, comes along and notices the "signs" the PC is displaying. He has just spent time reading Alaundo's prophecies on the matter, he has magical assistance behind him (Winski) and he might have put two and two together as regards the Harper raid on the Bhaalist temple that freed you (BGII's discussion with Alianna), having researched it after escaping. He was, after all, older at the time, which may have been a set time to sacrifice as many Bhaalspawn as possible at once place - or maybe they were being done in lots, and the PC and Sarevok were in the same lot, Sarevok a 5-year-old, the PC a newborn. So perhaps he recognised Gorion or the Harper's involvement with you and therefore found out who you were. Imoen is a different matter - for one thing, her taint is less than yours, her nature is not that of a Bhaalist child, and she was not found under the same circumstances. Therefore, she is overlooked.
A few years pass and the PC is now a mature representative of his/her race, but emotionally still a child (given the background). The changes in character may therefore not be so noticeable, while quick physical changes can be put down to some human blood in almost any race. BGI plays itself out. Sarevok's essence dissipates and is reabsorbed in the Throne. Imoen, on the other hand, has a relatively minor taint, so her soul is not bound up in it completely and she doesn't disintegrate upon death.

Joneleth Irenicus, a very powerful elven mage, has access to major divinations (including Wish), so it's not surprising that he can find out about the PC and Imoen as moderately powerful Bhaalspawns. He captures the two. BGII begins. Irenicus' plans come to fruition and his experiments succeed - he finds a way to extract the souls of the Bhaalspawn, using the collected energies released by the deaths of several people at the same time to rip them out. The PC's soul is removed and, along with it, that portion of the taint that was tied with it, giving Irenicus some of the powers of the Bhaalspawn. The physical aspects of the taint that are embedded in the flesh of the PC remain, and they are strong enough (as the PC is one of the 6 most tainted Bhaalspawn) to provoke involuntary transformations into the Slayer. Later, the PC, whose nature is merging with the Taint ever more, learns to control these changes (or perhaps that's a self-defense mechanism of the last remnants of his soul). The PC kills Irenicus, whose stolen soul, tainted by Bhaal's energies, becomes a petitioner on the empty plane of the Throne of Blood (why a petitioner? Well, it was mixed with Irenicus' essence, meaning it didn't instantly dissipate), now slowly filling up with essence. The PC follows it, dragging his companions with him. In the Throne, the PC battles Irenicus and wins, claiming the right to his soul and allowing resurrection, which formerly was not possible, as the owner of the soul was disputed. After all, the PC had never actually died, rather, he was completely without a soul for a time (and therefore appeared dead). The attempts of the elven healers to rejoin body and soul (i.e. ressurection) allowed the PC to regain their soul and their taint without dissipatig. BGII ends.

ToB (Ascension) begins. The Five have assembled. Hitherto unkown fragments of Alaundo's prophecy point to the PC as the one who will stop the destruction. Imoen begins to gain insight into her taint, which has been brought into prominence by either Bodhi's evil, her self-knowledge, or the soul-transference processes, and gains powers. Sarevok is returned to being, but the taint that he formerly possessed is gone, into the Throne. The will of the PC (unconsciously) sifts through the Throne to discover the fragments of his soul, now free of taint, as something familiar. The PC murders most of the Five, each time setting more essence free, essence he can partially access through the pocket plane, which is, after all, a piece of the Throne - hence the Bhaalpowers. Meanwhile, their control over the Taint increases, leading to improved Slayer abilities. Finally, the showdown on the Throne occurs. Amelyssan the Blackhearted has used her knowledge of the rites to absorb most of the essence, giving herself great power. This allows her to manipulate the essence of Imoen, who has far less control than the PC, and also to sift through the Throne in much the same way as the PC did to find Sarevok, coming up with the Five, possibly Gromnir (all Bhaalspawns) and Irenicus and Bodhi (who each held a Bhaalspawn soul, and therefore some of the Taint, at the time of their deaths and are therefore found on this plane). She cannot manipulate the PC, as their power over the Taint is almost equal to hers, though for different reasons (namely having been on this plane before and forming it out of their will). The battle disrupts Amelyssan's control over most of the essence (first via the pools, then via the destruction of the divine avatars of the Five). Her grasp is weakened so that she is defeated, but she cannot die - therefore the Solar intercedes. The Solar may not be one in the traditional sense, but rather a manifestation of AO's will, or maybe it is a lone Solar, acting under AO's command for a while, or maybe it is working for some other Power. The PC is given final control over the essence, allowing Imoen and Balthazar (and the PC's child, if there is one at this point) to give up theirs. Then the choice is made. ToB ends.

Now, in the course of writing this, I'm sure I've missed some of the details mentioned earlier... but maybe I can synthesise any oversights into this explanation. Or maybe you guys don't like it, which is fair enough =) That's how I see it, anyway.
Cespenar says, "Kelsey and friends be at the Pocket Plane? Ohhh yesssss!" http://www.pocketplane.net

Offline Lord Kain

• "I was the 500th member on the old forgottenwars forum and all I got was this lousy title"
  • Planewalker
« Reply #64 on: May 23, 2004, 05:07:07 PM »
the trick with demi-humans like elves and dwarves is we know at that age they are called adults but we don't know when they are physically adults. The books don't say how long untill an elf looks like a 12 year old human.

As for Abazigal he is a half-dragon. In the same way the PC can be a half-elf.
I say they need to make a mod to remove the dragon form of Abazigal and his son. As they are not true dragons.
Now, at last, the masks had fallen away.  The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed.  Most ironic of all was the last gift that Raziel had given me, more powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision his sacrifice had accorded me - the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion:  Hope.

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #65 on: May 23, 2004, 05:30:17 PM »
Abazigal is half-dragon and half-god.  His physical form is that of a dragon the same way the PC's physical form is that of his/her mother's species.  Draconis is three-quarters dragon (and one-quarter god).
Beauty standing amidst fiery destruction.

Offline mcruz

• Planewalker
« Reply #66 on: May 24, 2004, 01:01:07 AM »
Well there is definitely a fair bit of unanswered questions regarding the whole Bhaal saga along with an equal number of contradictions unfortunately.......the age issue I don't think can be easily tackled.....did he spawn them all at the same time or over a period of time?? Is it enogh to say that the taint of a god made you age faster when dealing with different races?? Why did Bhaal have so many children if he was just going to kill them anyway? (i.e would have been easier to sacrifice say 10 as oppose to 100.......unless ofcourse having more children meant him being stronger somehow after he was resurrected) Why didn't Bhaal have a backup plan (was he just plain stupid or something)??  Why is there no Bhaal children with demon/devil blood since his realm was in the Abyss and he probably had a fair bit of demon/devil servants??  Why does it seem that Melissan is the only priestess of Bhaal left (you think other people loyal to him would remain)??  Why is there is such a difference in essense between his children (if he was going to kill them a especially strong offspring might ruin his plans such as the PC)??  How come in BG we're giving the impression Gorion had an intimate relationship with the PC's mother and in TOB we find out he killed her?? At the end of TOB if the PC chooses to give up godhood why is it assumed that Bhaal's essence can simply be destroyed/stored or whatever (I mean the death of Myrkul, Bhaal and Bane in the Times of Troubles gave the surprising, unpredicted and undesired birth of a new race known as the Kir-Lanan who seek to destroy all gods)?? And so forth......I do really think the child of the PC and Draconis do carry Bhaal's essense if we think in terms of the whole tainted blood issue.....anywayz before I begin to sound more and more like a raging lunatic I have to agree to that none of these issues are easy to explain and somethings are better left to the imagination.... :)
"Somethings are worth waiting for"

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #67 on: May 24, 2004, 02:01:38 AM »
Why did Bhaal have so many children if he was just going to kill them anyway? (i.e would have been easier to sacrifice say 10 as oppose to 100
[...]
Why is there is such a difference in essense between his children (if he was going to kill them a especially strong offspring might ruin his plans such as the PC)??  How come in BG we're giving the impression Gorion had an intimate relationship with the PC's mother and in TOB we find out he killed her??
It's called a retcon.  In BG1 the PC's mother was an old friend and lover of Gorion's, and Bhaal planned to be resurrected by taking over whichever of his children proved strongest and most vicious.  in ToB the PC's mother was a priestess of Bhaal named Alianna, and Bhaal planned to be resurrected through the ritual sacrifice of all his children.

Offline Lord Kain

• "I was the 500th member on the old forgottenwars forum and all I got was this lousy title"
  • Planewalker
« Reply #68 on: May 30, 2004, 02:33:18 PM »
Half-dragons do not have a dragon form. Abazigal's mother was obviously a half-dragon. He is called a half-breed more then once. His form should be that of a half-dragon which he has but for some strange reason can become a full dragon. The cheepest reason is that is bhaal spawn power is to take on a dragon form.

In BG1 we are givin the impression Gorion had an intimate relationship with the PC's mother because Gorion obviously lied.

Now another subject Saravok knew of the old prophecies. He wanted to take bhaals place. Of course the PC messes that up. The thing with prophecies they are vauge and hard to interpret.
Also as for Bhaal taking over the body of the most powerful child. If you were bhaal you'd want to keep your methoed of return quite.

On the subject of essense count. Bhaal wanted his off spring to become strong, so it could easily be said that part of the rights needed to restore him required the body of a powerful bhaal spawn. Melissan never goes into the details of how she was suposed to being bhaal back from the dead.

How does Saravok know the PC is a bhaalspawn. Well Saravok's old BG1 equipment was ment to focus his divine essense. So that could explain is bhaalspawn sense. Or maybe its just the way a bhaal spawn fights. Something in the movement.

Melissan wasn't the last of Bhaals priestess. The witch in the old temple is a priestess of bhaal. Melissan was the head of the order.

Now, at last, the masks had fallen away.  The strings of the puppets had become visible, and the hands of the prime mover exposed.  Most ironic of all was the last gift that Raziel had given me, more powerful than the sword that now held his soul, more acute even than the vision his sacrifice had accorded me - the first bitter taste of that terrible illusion:  Hope.

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #69 on: May 30, 2004, 02:40:37 PM »
Half-dragons do not have a dragon form. Abazigal's mother was obviously a half-dragon.
Obviously?  Why do you say that?  Where is there any evidence whatsoever that Abazigal's mother was a half-dragon?
He is called a half-breed more then once.
Of course; he's a half-god.
In BG1 we are givin the impression Gorion had an intimate relationship with the PC's mother because Gorion obviously lied.
That word--"obviously"--it's not a synonym for "in my opinion."  It mystifies me that some people will stretch so far to make the square peg of ToB's plot fit into the round hole of BG1's backstory.

Offline Lord Kain

• Planewalker
« Reply #70 on: June 02, 2004, 04:03:16 AM »
NONE of the other bhaal spawn are refered to as half-breeds.
Sendai is never called a half drow. The PC is never called a half-??? unless there playing a half-elf.

Being a child of bhaal has no effect on what race the spawn is as we have all seen.
They will simply carry the taint of bhaal.

Abazigal is called a half-breed by the very angry geas dragon just outside his inner lair

Abazigal "Save your taunts.  You are not worthy of having Bhaal's blood within you! Only a dragon is worthy of containing the Lord of Murder's immortal essence!"

PC: "A dragon?  From what I hear, you're nothing but a mongrel half-breed."

OH FOR more on my side a journal entiry I just found it while writing this. I had some more long logical thinking stuff but I think this proves my point.
Abazigal's Enclave

The half-dragon Bhaalspawn is dead, and I have taken another step on the road of my destiny... though where the journey will ultimately end I cannot say.

Offline Kish

• HEROISM OK
  • Planewalker
    • Oversight mod.
« Reply #71 on: June 02, 2004, 04:29:02 AM »
NONE of the other bhaal spawn are refered to as half-breeds.
None of the others were born of a race that can smell the taint of Bhaal.  In any case, however, this is untrue--Viconia most certainly does call the PC a half-god.
"You have the stench of the Bhaalspawn--the same stench as Abazigal, though he tries to hide it behind the more palatable scent of his wyrm-kind heritage."

Sendai is a half-drow, but as far as the drow can perceive she seems to be one of them.  Yaga-Shura is a half-giant, but the fact that he's half-god doesn't show to fire giant senses.
Abazigal is called a half-breed by the very angry geas dragon just outside his inner lair
And she spells out exactly what she means: being Bhaalspawn is a stench, his wyrm-kind heritage is "more palatable."  She conspicuously makes no reference to any other form of heritage--just wyrm-kind, like his mother, and Bhaal.
OH FOR more on my side a journal entiry I just found it while writing this. I had some more long logical thinking stuff but I think this proves my point.
Abazigal's Enclave

The half-dragon Bhaalspawn is dead, and I have taken another step on the road of my destiny... though where the journey will ultimately end I cannot say.
Proves?  I have never contested that he's a half-dragon.  Of course he is; his father was a god.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2004, 04:43:11 AM by Kish »

Offline Lord Kain

• Planewalker
« Reply #72 on: June 02, 2004, 04:56:16 AM »
You appear to me to be saying he is a dragon child of bhaal, his father was bhaal his mother was a dragon.

I say he is A half-dragon child of bhaal much in the same way you may have a half-elf or half-orc child of bhaal.

In my mind YOU DO contest that he is a half-dragon. If his father is bhaal and his mother is a dragon. Then HE IS a full dragon with the taint of bhaal. An elf who has bhaals child gives birth to an elf. A half-elf who has bhaals child gives birth to a half-elf.

I find it to confusing to refer bhaal spawn as half-breeds simply because of bhaal was the father.
half half-elf or half half-orc sounds to weird.

But it is clear to me that we are grounded in our opinions and we won't change are minds.

Offline cabron

• Planewalker
« Reply #73 on: August 25, 2004, 10:08:30 PM »
Hey Everyone!  :D
Glad to join this forum!
When I had to explain the concept of the Baalspawn to a friend (to incorportate it into our own gaming sessions) I used the Highlander as a point of comparison....The ideas of several Baalspawn with vastly different ages is the same for the inmortals; the power is spread out throughout the timestream, so you could have modern inmortals fighting against a guy like Darius (who was suppoesd to be the oldest inmortal, almost 2000 years old).
Baal sent his plan in motion during the time of troubles, and it affected people all over the timestream when he did so, so you could have a thousand year old dragon Baalspawn (plus his kid) battling against twenty something guy like the main char & Sarevok.

Offline Anko

• Planewalker
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2004, 10:00:46 PM »
Well, about Sendai and the drow - as far as I remember, a 30-year-old drow (or elf) is not a child, maybe a kind of teenager. I think they become mature similarily to humans and they stay young and pretty for ages. The proportions aren't the same like in human life. It would be no fun to be middle-aged and old a half of your life. The only difference is they have a lot more time, so they learn really long. For example, in some "primitive" tribes (and in our countries in the pre-historical age) people were cosidered adult at age around 14 - they were ready to have children and survive in the world, they were strong enough to work. But today, we have to graduade one school, second school, another and one more... And not before 22-25 we're ready to enter the mature life, work, etc.
The priestess of Lolth ended her education something about 90, because she planned to live another 500 (*sweet dreams* ;D). Maybe it took so long because it's really hard to adapt to insane drow mentality. But that doesn't mean a 30-year-old elf is naive or weak like a 6-year-old human kid.
And well, Sendai has very little spells in her spellbook, cleric spells mixed with some druidic... It's clear she isn't well educated, maybe she received her powers because of being a Bhaalspawn. And, well, she's a cleric/mage with only 14 INT and WIS. Maybe stats are permanent, but if you can improve your IQ by training, it's clear that lack of experience results in poor stats. (By the way, in NeverWinter Nights your stats increase every 4-5 level or so by 1 point, got it?)

-- Anko.

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: