Author Topic: A Familiar for Solafein Poll.....  (Read 29593 times)

SapphireDragon

A Familiar for Solafein Poll.....
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2003, 05:40:27 PM »
I didnt say 'no elven names'.  What are you talking about??  This is what I put

Sphira:

Jiji

kiki

Tsuru

Sapphire

no, drowish name

"no, an elven name"  kind of like how yours was.

Turnip

Chi Chi  
 :blink:  :blink:  :huh:  

SapphireDragon

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2003, 05:43:41 PM »
Hi yall,

Sapphiredragon would like your input as to what she should name Solafein's new familiar...

"no way it should be an Elvish name" :P  :D  :rolleyes:
ah now I see... what happened to the comma?  It was suppossed to be (no way, It should be an elvish name :) )
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 05:44:10 PM by SapphireDragon »

thecursed

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2003, 05:44:38 PM »
:lol:  

PetiteAngel2

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2003, 06:04:35 PM »
Oh wow Its up.  :)  nice job UU

Caedwyr

« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2003, 06:31:12 PM »
[serious]I'd go with Sapphire, it's a nice name and it honors the creator of Sola's chinchillia familiar. [/serious]
« Last Edit: April 08, 2003, 06:31:34 PM by Caedwyr »

Userunfriendly

« Reply #30 on: April 08, 2003, 07:26:28 PM »
the board has spoken!!!

sapphire is the clear winner, with a place of honor going to

turnip....(stop dancing jan!!!  do you have any idea how grotesque a dancing gnome looks like???  it would be like korgan in drag, with makeup and lipstick and blush.....eeeewwwwwwwwwww...get this mental image out of my brain!!!!!!AAAAAAAAAAKKKKKK!!!!!!)

:lol:  :D  :P  :rolleyes:  :)  

thecursed

« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2003, 11:23:47 AM »
i don't think you'd notice under the beard.

thecursed

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2003, 12:19:31 PM »
any progress on getting that familiar into the game?

SapphireDragon

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2003, 09:32:58 PM »
Kind of,  I've been writing a good amount of familiar flirts but I'm still waiting for Wes to tell me if he likes the familiar idea. :)  

thecursed

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2003, 06:49:50 AM »
glad to see this forum still has life in it. don't forget to post 'em. even if wes don't agree, it can give people ideas for other dialogues.

SapphireDragon

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2003, 06:47:49 PM »
ok I should have all of them up by tomorrow afternoon :)  

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2003, 06:30:09 AM »
Sola's familiar should be a foil to his personality. He is brooding and melancholy, therefore, his familiar should not be. It should reflect a currently undeveloped or unrevealed facet of himself. At least that's how I always thought of familiars. Most of my opinions were formed from reading Rom Piccarilli's Necromancer short stories. Very dark and rather intriguing work...The Necromancer's (unnamed except as the Necromancer) familiar, Self, was a bloodthirsty demon, delighting in the inevitable carnage that ensued when the Necromancer reluctantly unleashed his powerful magic, while the Necromancer himself tried to avoid killing, and strove to an ideal of goodness.

Incidentally, I have only ever seen one copy of that book, Deep Into That Darkness Peering, and that was stolen from the library by a friend of mine. Rather disturbing short stories, but fascinating as well.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2003, 06:31:04 AM by AvatarofInsolence »

Michel

« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2003, 03:22:57 PM »
Please answer this: Why does Solafein need a Familiar?
Only the protagonist can have a familiar.

T.G.Maestro

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2003, 04:52:01 PM »
"Please answer this: Why does Solafein need a Familiar?
Only the protagonist can have a familiar"
-I couldn't have said it better myself. Why is there a sudden need for a familiar for him? He is kinda lonesome by nature, not the type of man (drow?) who would have a familiar.
And by the way..how far would you strengthen this (already more than perfect) NPC? Did anyone noticed that most other NPCs simply fade whan standing near Solaufein? Man, he is an absolute overkill, and you would give him a Familiar... :blink:
I guess it would be the great time to create a new NPC and give these things, ideas, suggestions, and other buffs to that one. Solaufein is more than a god now, not an NPC. I guess it shouldn't get that far after all. [_[

Athena

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2003, 05:08:00 PM »
*nod*
I don't think Sola really needs a familiar, and if he did get one, I'm not overly enthusiastic about having a chinchilla be it...it really doesn't seem to suit him.
SapphireDragon, please don't take these comments as criticism of you or your work, they're just my honest opinions on the situation.

Still, if the idea has already been submitted to Wes, I guess there's nothing we can do but wait to hear what he has to say. :)

SapphireDragon

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2003, 07:33:38 PM »
*nod*
I don't think Sola really needs a familiar, and if he did get one, I'm not overly enthusiastic about having a chinchilla be it...it really doesn't seem to suit him.
SapphireDragon, please don't take these comments as criticism of you or your work, they're just my honest opinions on the situation.

Still, if the idea has already been submitted to Wes, I guess there's nothing we can do but wait to hear what he has to say. :)
I wish Wes would tell me if he likes the familliar idea or not.  If he did then I would be able to put down my Ideas. :o Also then if people dont like the chinchilla familiar it would be no problem for me to change the scripts :)

Athena

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2003, 08:59:41 PM »
*nod* Wes isn't the best person about answering e-mail, according to many of the people I've talked to. This is also a pretty busy time of year for every student.
In the meantime, why don't you go ahead and post your ideas? Even if they aren't used in the mod, as Cursed said, they might inspire someone else.

SapphireDragon

« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2003, 11:21:33 AM »
Ok :)  I should have them all up by tonight or early tomorrow.  

Michel

« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2003, 11:58:31 AM »
The question still remains. Why does Solaufein need a  familiar?

Athena

« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2003, 02:26:44 PM »
*nod* That's a question I would also like an answer to.

PetiteAngel2

« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2003, 08:54:43 PM »
well from what Ive read, the whole familiar thing started off with Sapphire's chinchilla flirt/dialogue ( i forget which one it was :unsure: ). Anyway I guess from there the flirt/dialogue kind of turned into a familiar idea.

"why does Solaufein need a familiar?",  because every mage even a / mage needs a familiar :) like with jan and Boo2 (shes so cute ^-^). Besides who says it has to even be a chinchilla?

The way I see it,  a familiar for Sola ( cat, wolf, hawk,chinchilla whatever) would be like a sign ( or something I can't think of the word now [_[  ) that, as he says ' Thanks to your kind words charname, I can finally turn my mind to brighter things and the worship of Eilistraee' he is forgetting about the underdark and Phaere and thinking of more imortant things.

phew! that was alot of words :)  I hope I answered the question.

Athena

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2003, 09:32:25 PM »
That sort of answered the question...Please don't take what I say next as criticism. As I've said before, these are just my opinions and the facts as I know them, and I apologize if they offend or if the facts are incorrect. I'm more knowledgable of the third edition rules for wizards and familiars.

Stop me if I'm wrong, but the way I understand your post is that:
Sola should get a familiar because he's a wizard, and all wizards need one.
Also, he should get a familiar because he's building a new life.

Your first point is incorrect. Some wizards choose not to take the risk of a familiar, knowing that familiars are a big responsibility, that you are stuck with whatever you get, and that there are incredible repercussions if the familiar or the wizard dies. Some wizards also dislike the sensation of having something so intimately connected to them; a familiar is privy to many of the wizards thoughts and feelings.

Sola is fresh from the Underdark, a place where trust is foolish and you have to believe everyone will betray you. Even if a familiar can't exactly betray you, the sheer amounts of information a familiar could provide to your enemies if it was so inclined are astonishing. Sola may not feel ready to risk that.
He is also, as someone pointed out earlier, a fairly solitary man. He is used to being alone. At this stage in his life, I don't believe he really wants a familiar. He is still attempting to sort out who he is and what his life is now going to be like. He seems unprepared to *also* handle a bond with a familiar, and the thoughts and emotions of the familiar.

As for your second point...Sola says in one of his lovetalks (the one about having children) "I have not been particularly adept at safeguarding my loved ones." I'm unclear if the familiar was planned to be a romance-only feature, but that was my understanding. If so, he is already risking himself enough by allowing himself to love the PC, and in one case, a child. I'm not sure if he would want to add a familiar to the list of things he loves and is therefore risking.

But as I've said, this is Wes's call. :)

thecursed

« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2003, 03:41:47 PM »
iirc, the idea was for sola to have a chinchilla more as a pet than a familiar. the first dialogue was about this little critter jumping onto solas lap. then sola keeping it around. i'm repaeting myself when i say it should be an other boo. it would be easyer to code (just have it as a unremovable object) and the diallogue possibilities are numerous.

its true that sola wouldn't be the kind of person to have a pet, but then again, he is changing...

Athena

« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2003, 05:17:39 PM »
*nod* Perhaps you're right. While I can't really see Sola with a pet, either, IMO it's more probable then him summoning a familiar.

thecursed

« Reply #49 on: May 18, 2003, 05:31:01 PM »
its the first time since pheare he gets a little tenderness. he projects the lost love for her on this furry creature. it will help him open up to the pc and to the outside world. then again, i'm just rambling...

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: