Author Topic: Dialogue ideas  (Read 92291 times)

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #50 on: February 20, 2003, 09:48:13 PM »
Thanks, sweetie :)

I honestly have run out of ideas on this one, so if anyone has any suggestions for dialogue itself, I'd be very happy :) I know more options are needed, for sure!

Sphira

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #51 on: February 20, 2003, 10:49:13 PM »
Yaaaay! Finally got to read it! First good thing that's happened to me all day! :D And I liked it but I've got a few suggestions too. Well, more like comments.

The sorest spot for any of my PCs (even the too ultra-understanding doormat ones) on any relationship is being a 'replacement'.  Something I would shove in 14. Of course, this might be odd... it all depends if the PC is evil or good or netural. Heck, even male or female makes a huge difference as well.

But I do like the options of being jealous or being understanding. Of course, I think there should be an option of saying

PC: Of course, you'll understand if I kill you if you sleep with my sister or my brother, right?  [_[

Sola: .... Fully.   :blink:

PC: Good! :D                    

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #52 on: February 20, 2003, 10:53:29 PM »
Thanks, Sphira :) I'm glad I was able to help your day!

14 does seem to be the one where I ran outta steam..ack. I'm just going to soak in comments and suggestions and see what happens here :)

Athena

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #53 on: February 20, 2003, 10:54:09 PM »
The sorest spot for any of my PCs (even the too ultra-understanding doormat ones) on any relationship is being a 'replacement'.  Something I would shove in 14.
Now this could be very interesting. If you like the idea, Tsuru, then I second it.                    

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2003, 12:10:14 AM »
On the first page of this thread is a rough draft of a dialogue that could be used to start the flirts initially. Has anyone had any thoughts on this, or further ideas on expanding it where needed, please? :)

Hendryk

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2003, 04:36:00 AM »
First off *applause*!  What you've done is excellent.  As you, youself, seem aware, though, you're not finished yet.  The most obvious omission is the lack of choices for a male PC.  Judging by other posts around here, these would be coarser and more jocular, so they would clash with what you have.  Perhaps an entire alternate dialogue for a male PC?

Second, a much more minor and personal view, I think Sola gets off the hook with too little explanation about his romance with Phaere.  Female PCs I've known would certainly want to push harder on how "true love with a budding priestess of Lolth" might be possible and what the elements of the relationship were.  If so pushed, Sola might reply:

Sola:  I can say now that it was a compound of lust, hope and...an innocent expectation that *we* would somehow avoid the severities that drow society inflicts on all its members.

PC:  'Love is blind' is an understatement, then.  It blinded you to who you were actually with and to the whole world you lived in.

Sola:  Undoubtedly.  And yet, the experience bestowed that rarest of gifts for a drow: the capacity to care for another.

PC:  Then I'm grateful for it - even with all the pain it brought.

Of course, I actually expect you've already got all this covered much better in a still-hidden dialogue.  Just wanted you to know I miss it and wish it were here.                    

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2003, 04:45:00 AM »
*blush* Thank you, Hendryk. And honestly, my only "hidden" dialogues are in my own Morgan at this point.

You're right about the male PC responses, which I should have thought of myself. Case of "do as I say, not as I do", I guess, urgh. I tend to mostly concentrate on getting Sola right when I'm writing for him and keeping gender neutral on PC response if at all possible

Very good dialogue suggestion from you as always :) And if anyone has ideas for male responses, I'd be more than happy to see them! An alternate dialogue is always a possibility, it could be implemented with a very simple gender check in the code when this dialogue pops up.

Yes, he probably should explain more about Phaere. As I said, I kind of lost steam and inspiration on this one, but I really do want to finish it at some point in time :)

Hendryk

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #57 on: February 21, 2003, 05:31:37 AM »
Random lines for somewhere or other if virginity and/or faithfulness is under discussion:

Solaufein:  Ah, yes.  I have heard surfacers refer to the 'gift of continence'.  I would have no such thing, not even as a gift, and do not apologize for my attitude.

PC:  Oh, so?  Then I'm supposed to watch you skip off in every direction on the map and just say, 'Oh, well.  Boys will be boys'?

Solaufein:  Don't invent problems, CHARNAME.  You are speaking now of keeping faith with a loved one.  When the heart commands, the body will follow.

PC:  Sounds pretty.  Just be sure your heart is the organ you *are* listening to.

Solaufein:  I believe that one of your charms for me is that I have never before encountered anyone so determinedly practical.                    

[!--EDIT|Hendryk|Feb 21 2003, 01:35 PM--]

Amazor'dra

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #58 on: February 21, 2003, 02:23:42 PM »
*finishes reading the dialogue*

Overall, it's very good. The only thing that I can think of that will make the dialogue better is maybe add some more options the PC can choose from.   B)

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #59 on: February 21, 2003, 03:00:38 PM »
Overall, it's very good. The only thing that I can think of that will make the dialogue better is maybe add some more options the PC can choose from.   B)
                   Thanks, sweetie :)

Yes, that's why I posted.. to try to get ideas to finish fleshing the thing out so I can finally send it to Wes!                    

Sphira

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #60 on: February 21, 2003, 07:53:20 PM »
Suggestion on the whole 'replacement' thing I said yesterday? :D

---
PC
Why won't you tell me about her? I need to know! -] A1
Please, I don't want to keep bringing this up but I just want to know about her. -]A2

Sola
A1] Need to know, {Charname}? (His tone is dark, almost angry, and it reminds you of how he spoke before in Ust Natha.) How dare you say that! -]A2
A2] There is nothing you need to know about her, it wasn't your affair! I cared for her, I loved her. I can't erase her memory.
PC
- I don't like you keeping secrets from me, Solaufein. -]B1
- I know that... I'm just afraid that... -]C2

Sola
B1] Do not speak that way to me. I will not tolerate being treated as I was in the Underdark.
-I... I apologize. I'm jealous... and afraid. -] C2
-If you're going to hide from that simple question with that retort Solaufein, this isn't going to work out.-] C1

Sola
C1] Yes, I would agree if you're jealous of a ghost and resort to accusing me to that are not there. {End relationship or...?}
C2] Afraid of what? (You hear the anger in his voice and you realize how serious this situation is for him.)
PC
-That I'm... (pause) I'm just a replacement for Phaere. -] D1

D1] (The anger so rarely seen in Solaufein dissipates into a look of confusion as he stares at you. A moment of silence passes as you avoid looking to his eyes.) -] D2
D2] (He suddenly cups your face in his hands, and looks at you tenderly.) You are nothing like her.  -]D3

Sola
{If on the pragmatic path}
D3a] She... she was a dreamer... your wisdom and clarity has helped me so much during our time together... -]D4
{If remorseful}
D3b] She was never kind, she did not have your heart. I'm in awe of your compassion, how you care despite the odds against you. -]D4

Sola
D4] Yes... there are a few parallels between you and her, {Charname}. But they mean nothing, they are nothing to who you are and to who Phaere was and what she became. You are {Charname}, and I love you for that. -]D5

Sola
D5] And I love Phaere, I cannot lie to you on that. If Phaere came back to me now speaking words of repentance and love, I'd forgive her and wish her well. I would then turn away from her, to you and we would go on with our lives. -]D6
PC
- Solaufein... -->F1

Sola
E1] Don't speak...(He kisses your mouth tenderly, only to let go your lips to whisper softly, only a hair's width from your lips.) I have never thought of you as a replacement, my love.
PC
-I'm sorry I've doubted you. *you wrap your arms about him and he holds you.* -]F1
-That's... that doesn't *You smile in happiness* That doesn't get you off the hook.-]F1

Sola
F1] I promise you, we will talk about Phaere. -] F2
F2] Come, let us go.

-
Fixed! :D                    

[!--EDIT|Sphira|Feb 21 2003, 09:25 PM--]

Amazor'dra

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #61 on: February 21, 2003, 08:01:06 PM »
*melts into a puddle of goo*

Very nice!                    

Athena

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #62 on: February 21, 2003, 08:07:26 PM »
I really, really like it.  :) You're an excellent writer, Sphira.

And take your time on the flirt. I'm the one who spent three weeks banging her head against it. :D I can certainly understand if you need time to think about it.                    

Sphira

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2003, 08:12:43 PM »
Thank you! *blushes* I know Sola's not supposed to get angry but uhm... number one rule is NEVER press buttons about people's ex-girlfriends/boyfriends.

I was thinking later the Sola and the PC discuss this if they 'end' the relationship but that feature will be saved for another NPC. :D So they get this out in the open now, rather than later.

Athena: Okay. But still... I am thinking about it. ^_^                    

Athena

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2003, 08:20:53 PM »
In re-reading, I noticed something...at block B1 it looks like the first PC response would go better with C2.

As for what you said...I think Sola is justified in getting angry here. I like the fact that he doesn't fly off the handle at every little thing, but that doesn't mean he should take whatever the PC has to throw at him with a pleasant smile. He still has teeth and claws. :D

Regarding the flirt: as I said, take your time. All I ask is that you don't forget about it. :)                    

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2003, 09:09:54 PM »
Mmm... I might do something with that if you don't mind, Sphira. Of course with me it might take a day or two as usual :)

Sphira

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2003, 09:43:14 PM »
Yeah! ^_^ Just post the results of it!                    

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #67 on: February 21, 2003, 09:44:20 PM »
Yeah! ^_^ Just post the results of it!
                   Thanks, I will :)

*goes back to writing*

Dashael

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #68 on: February 21, 2003, 10:16:49 PM »
Spira that "replacement" passage was great! I usually try and think of several things I'd do better before I comment, but I'm having trouble :)

I'm especially glad to see the "If Pragmatic" and "If Remorseful" sections. Anyway well done.                    

Sphira

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #69 on: February 21, 2003, 10:59:21 PM »
Thank you. ^_^ I'm triplely glad Wes-sama made that system up now. It saved my sanity.

Ye'see, I had a huge hissyfit on how to do the 'replacement' thing, making sure it would be 'general' enough for everyone's character. I decided there would be good, evil, or netural responses. Notably it would be hard to do a response to for an evil PC.

(Example)

Sola: Gee... you're nasty to people... uhm... you don't do nice things... you kill for pleasure.... Damn. Why am I your lover again? :ph34r:

But I don't think the script can check for that and I personally find the reputation scale in the game not right. I believe a good person can do unpopular things so it's my little protest.

Then I remembered pragmatic and remorseful. And my life was made much easier.  :P                    

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #70 on: February 21, 2003, 11:04:28 PM »
I think I'll be crediting you as co-author on this one, Sphira ;)

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2003, 12:40:21 AM »
Okay ,first re-write a la Tsuru and Sphira :)

----------

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper
  SAY ~(CHARNAME), a moment of your time?~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Solaufein, is this another philosophy question? I have something I'd like to ask you instead.~ GOTO soper1
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Not now, Solaufein.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper1
  SAY ~Very well, my question can wait. What would you ask of me?~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I was wondering.. about your other lovers.~ GOTO soper2
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Never mind. We don't have time for this right now.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper2
  SAY ~Does that matter? I have not asked you about your past lovers, have I?~
  IF ~~ THEN BEGIN ~I was just.. curious, Solaufein. I know about Phaere. But were there others?~ GOTO soper3
  IF ~~ THEN BEGIN ~And I have to wonder why you have not. Doesn't it matter to you at all?~ GOTO soper4
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper3
  SAY ~I.. have lived a long time, (CHARNAME). Yes, there were others. Does it make a difference to you? Do you love me less now knowing I am no innocent?~
  IF ~~ THEN BEGIN ~Of course not. I wasn't an innocent either. Did that matter to you?~ GOTO soper5
  IF ~~ THEN BEGIN ~I wouldn't have expected you not to have. But did any of them .. did you love any others?~ GOTO soper6
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper4
  SAY ~If you want me to know, you will tell me. Does the past matter so much?~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Sometimes. Knowing how a past love might have gone wrong could help prevent it happening to us.~ GOTO soper7
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You know very well there was no lover before you, Solaufein.~ GOTO soper8
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper5
  SAY ~Of course not, ussta xukoth, you know that I love you. And you are with me now, and that is what matters.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Then indulge me, Solaufein. Did you love others before me besides Phaere?~ GOTO soper6
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Yes, I suppose that's true. Come kiss me now and we'll talk again later. Tonight. In our bed.~ GOTO soper9
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper6
  SAY ~Love is not something that often happens in my former home. It is not encouraged or allowed to flourish.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~So it seems. You are a rare man, my love, to have overcome that.~ GOTO soper10
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Then how did you dare to love Phaere?~ GOTO soper11
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper7
  SAY ~Perhaps. But is not every love unique, (CHARNAME)?~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~This is becoming too philosophical. Kiss me quickly and we will continue this in bed tonight. Though I doubt there will be much talk.~ GOTO soper12
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Perhaps you are right. But we have a lifetime to discuss this. Let's go.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper8
  SAY ~And I will never forget that you chose me, ussta xukoth. It meant much to me.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~And to me, my love. Forget I asked about the past. I want to concentrate on our future.~ EXIT
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Well it had to happen sometime. And I wanted to choose who. Now stop trying to distract me and answer me.~ GOTO soper13
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper9
  SAY ~Gladly, my love.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper10
  SAY ~You flatter me, (CHARNAME). But I believe when I opened my heart to Lady Silverhair, I learned to how to love.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Perhaps. We will have to discuss that some other time.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper11
  SAY ~I.. do not know. We were lovers first. Then I found myself caring for her as I had for no other.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I see. It must have been difficult to hide from the Matron Mothers.~ GOTO soper16
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Mmmm. As long as that caring is for me alone now, I will be content with that.~ GOTO soper17
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper12
  SAY ~As you wish, ussta xukoth. And may the night come quickly that we may seek privacy to... speak.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper13
  SAY ~I was not trying to distract you. And yes, there were others, but none that I loved as I love you.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Even Phaere?~ GOTO soper14
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper14
  SAY ~I loved her, (CHARNAME). You knew that. ~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Solaufein, that I know. But I need to know more, why won't you tell me?~ GOTO soper18
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Please, I don't want to keep bringing this up but I just want to know about her.~ GOTO soper19
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~(Say nothing but kiss Solaufein quickly)~ GOTO soper15
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper15
  SAY ~Please, ussta xukoth, the others are watching. Let us continue this in private later.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Such shyness. I will teach you not to be so one day. Very well, let's go.~ EXIT
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~You're right. I can't really do what I'd like to do to you right now, anyway.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper16
  SAY ~It required much effort. (CHARNAME), this is something I do not wish to dwell on. May we go?~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I understand, my love. Let us go and we will discuss more pleasant things as we walk.~ EXIT
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Very well. But I do wish to discuss this more another time, Solaufein. I am still curious.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper17
  SAY ~You are my heart, (CHARNAME). There is no other and will never be as far as I am concerned.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Ussta xukoth, as you say. (Caress his cheek briefly) Come, let's go.~ EXIT
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~We shall see what the future holds, Solaufein. We should join the others now, we will speak more later.~ EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper18
  SAY ~Need to know, (CHARNAME)? (His tone is dark, almost angry, and it reminds you of how he spoke before in Ust Natha.) How dare you say that!~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I don't like you keeping secrets from me, Solaufein.~ GOTO soper20
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I know that... I'm just afraid that... ~ GOTO soper21
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper19
  SAY ~There is nothing you need to know about her, it wasn't your affair! I cared for her, I loved her. I can't erase her memory.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I don't like you keeping secrets from me, Solaufein.~ GOTO soper20
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I know that... I'm just afraid that... ~ GOTO soper21
END

IF ~~ THEN GOTO soper20
  SAY ~Do not speak that way to me. I will not tolerate being treated as I was in the Underdark.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I... I apologize. I'm jealous... and afraid.~ GOTO soper21
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~If you're going to hide from that simple question with that retort Solaufein, this isn't going to work out.~ GOTO soper22
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper21
  SAY ~Afraid of what? (You hear the anger in his voice and you realize how serious this situation is for him.)~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~That I'm... (pause) I'm just a replacement for Phaere.~ GOTO soper23 (pragmatic) or soper26 (compassionate)
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper22
  SAY ~Yes, I would agree if you're jealous of a ghost and then resort to accusing me to something that is not there!
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~We *will* discuss this again, Solaufein, when both our tempers have cooled~~ EXIT
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~As much as it saddens me, I cannot stay with a man I cannot trust and who will not answer me.~ EXIT (end relationship)
  END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper23 (pragmatic)
  SAY ~(The anger so rarely seen in Solaufein dissipates into a look of confusion as he stares at you. A moment of silence passes as you avoid looking to his eyes.)~
    =
      ~(He suddenly cups your face in his hands, and looks at you tenderly.) You are nothing like her.~
    =
      ~She... she was a dreamer... your wisdom and clarity has helped me so much during our time together...~
    =
      ~Yes... there are a few parallels between you and her, {Charname}. But they mean nothing, they are nothing to who you are and to who Phaere was and what she became. You are {Charname}, and I love you for that.~
    =
      ~And I love Phaere, I cannot lie to you on that. If Phaere came back to me now speaking words of repentance and love, I'd forgive her and wish her well. I would then turn away from her, to you and we would go on with our lives.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Solaufein... ~ GOTO soper24
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper24
  SAY ~Don't speak...(He kisses your mouth tenderly, only to let go your lips to whisper softly, only a hair's width from your lips.) I have never thought of you as a replacement, my love.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~I'm sorry I've doubted you. (you wrap your arms about him and he holds you.)~ GOTO soper25
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~That's... that doesn't *You smile in happiness* That doesn't get you off the hook.~ GOTO soper25
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper25
  SAY ~I promise you, we will talk about Phaere. Come, let us go.~
  IF ~~ THEN EXIT
END

IF ~~ THEN BEGIN soper26 (compassionate)
  SAY ~She was never kind, she did not have your heart. I'm in awe of your compassion, how you care despite the odds against you.~
    =
      ~(He suddenly cups your face in his hands, and looks at you tenderly.) You are nothing like her.~
    =
      ~She... she was a dreamer... your wisdom and clarity has helped me so much during our time together...~
    =
      ~Yes... there are a few parallels between you and her, {Charname}. But they mean nothing, they are nothing to who you are and to who Phaere was and what she became. You are {Charname}, and I love you for that.~
    =
      ~And I love Phaere, I cannot lie to you on that. If Phaere came back to me now speaking words of repentance and love, I'd forgive her and wish her well. I would then turn away from her, to you and we would go on with our lives.~
  IF ~~ THEN REPLY ~Solaufein... ~ GOTO soper24
END

-------

Thoughts, comments, suggestions? :)

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2003, 10:28:12 PM »
C'mon, I know this is a vocal bunch.. comments, thoughts, suggestions? :)                    

Amazor'dra

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #73 on: February 23, 2003, 02:20:36 AM »
A question, does Sola use any drow words in his previous conversations? It would seem a bit odd that he would start using them again.

*sends a certain wraith cat to haunt Tsuru's muse!*

Tsuru

Dialogue ideas
« Reply #74 on: February 23, 2003, 02:22:24 AM »
A question, does Sola use any drow words in his previous conversations? It would seem a bit odd that he would start using them again.

*sends a certain wraith cat to haunt Tsuru's muse!*
                   He uses the one at the Throne. And I did ask Wes about it, he said yes to drow words if we feel it fits in the dialouge/flirt/interjection.

Eeeep! *dives back under the table, putting out the "that cat" repellent*                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: