Author Topic: Drizzts  (Read 14693 times)

Eocine

Drizzts
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2003, 12:13:32 PM »
Ok, slightly updated ideas for altering the party

Drizzt

Leave his mithril Mail as it is, unless you chose to make it so spell casters can wear it. I say this as from the books it seems to be light enough.

Change Icingdeath to a Blade that is +5 against Demons and Fire elementals (You could also add some cold damage to it if you wanted to).

Leave Twinkle as it is.

Give him the spells that he can cast in the books (He may be able to cast them on the game but maybe his armour stops him)?

Totally max out his per rounds attacks.

Give him full stats in dual wielding and scimitar proficiencies (If he doesn’t already have them)

Give him one rage per day (When he gives in to the “Hunter” side of his personality)

The items he should drop are;

Twinkle
Icingdeath
Mithril Mail
Bracers of speed(Improving your per round attacks)

Bruenor

Keep his armour as it is

Make his axe throwable (He sure seems to do it a lot in the books)

Make his shield +4

Make him a Berserker

Make sure his constitution is very high

He should drop;

His Armour
His shield
His Axe

Wulfgar

Make Aegis Fang +5 to hit and damage

Make him always go after the spell casters first? (Maybe, I’m not sure)

Give him very strong hide armour to sort out his AC

He should drop;

An unthrowable +3 War Hammer
His Armour

Regis

Make it so the first thing he does is use his ruby pendant and for the item to have more charges so he can try again.

Make him try and stay away from the fighting, hiding in shadows and backstabbing etc.

There’s not really much else you can do with him unless you go down the cheese route and make it so he can set traps with you on the screen etc.

He should drop;

His ruby pendant
His mithril mace (+3 only useable by halflings?)

Cattie- brie

Make her an archer; Wes’s warrior/archer’d be good

Make Taulmaril a Bow that’s +4 to hit and damage and knocks people backwards when it hits them (Like one of the HLA’s, I forget which one).

Make Khazid’hea a + 5 Vorpal sword which also increases her armour class by one

Give her full Long Bow proficiencies and good proficiencies in single-handed weapon and long sword.

Give her some good armour (Lets be honest the adopted daughter of Bruenor Battlehammer isn’t going to have poor armour)

She should drop;

Taulmaril (Maybe reduced to +3)
A +3 Vorpal sword that’s cursed in that it berserks as soon as an enemy is sighted, also called Khazid’hea. (Let’s be honest this is far too soon in the game for one handed +5 vorpal swords to be available to the party)
Her Armour

Guenhwyvar

Very high Armour class +15 or so

Perma-hasted

A stupidly high amount of hit points (Possibly in the thousands)

BUT the second the rest of the party are dead she disappears

Finally sorry, but you still don’t get to keep Guenhwyvar.

Tyrus

Drizzts
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2003, 12:26:17 PM »
Wouldn't Water's Talon +4( make undroppable) from IU Mod be worthy of being used by Drizzts,

Water's Edge +3
Adjatha the Drinker +2
Rashad's Talon +2
15,000 Gold
                        Water's Talon +4
                        1d8+4, raise user max hp by 2, poison 2hp/second
                        Extended Reach. Immune to Charm and Horrid Wilting.

You could give an undroppable version of Sharrupak's Plate to Bruenor.

Aeger's Hide +5(undroppable) to Wulgar & Regis.

Catti- Brei could get the Gesen Bow(undroppable)

Eocine

Drizzts
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2003, 12:35:39 PM »
I was trying to make them as close to the book versions as possible, and Bruenors own Plate is already pretty good. The Gesen Bow really isn't powerful enough if you're trying to seriously up the difficulty of this section. Aegers hide +5 is fine for Wulfgar but hide armour has a negative effect on theiving skills, so something else for Regis. Waters Talon just isn't close enough in abilities to Icingdeath to be a realistic alternative.                    

Caedwyr

Drizzts
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2003, 01:43:00 PM »
I like your suggestions Eocine.  They seem appropriate for increasing the difficulty of the fight, while still staying relatively true to the stories.                    

Kensai_Ryu

Drizzts
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2003, 04:41:12 AM »
So you need some help on the ai for this? Be glad to help...

Assassin

Drizzts
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2003, 09:24:04 AM »
BTW, this may be OOC from the books, but could you make someone immune to Time Stop.  If not, then the fight would be so easy with a Sorcerer/Mage.                    

Eocine

Drizzts
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2003, 12:15:34 PM »
The obvious choice for that is Guen. It could be written of as a by product of her planar origins or something along those lines.                    

Drizzts
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2003, 01:19:57 PM »
So you need some help on the ai for this? Be glad to help...
be afraid, be very afraid :o                    

Assassin

Drizzts
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2003, 03:42:52 PM »
                   I know... :) Something tells me that the battle's going to be insanely difficult...                    

mitchmc

Drizzts
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2003, 03:24:12 PM »

I know... :) Something tells me that the battle's going to be insanely difficult...

One can only hope :)

I generally play chaotic good types, so I will have to
Do something to provoke Drizz; come to think of it I have only
Fought him once, several years ago with a low level character
It was difficult at the time……….nothing compared to what it will be like
If Mr. Ryu works his wonders.

One request, beef up Drizzts’ swords, this is a late encounter in game terms and since it will be one hell of a fight one should get top quality goodies,   :rolleyes:  also if it could be arranged so that  you are not followed by "what ever his name is"(, the guy that steals back the stuff,) or at least if one had a chance to kill him.............
I hate it when he shows up ans steals the stuff before you can do ANY thing.

I like to use Drizzt against Bodhi, does this mean we need to beef up Bodhi ever more ?

As far as having Cadderly and Danica teleport in to assist, that pushes it a little bit.  Not that it shouldn't be done, but it just seems that Cadderly and Danica might have better things to do with their time than scry on Drizzt and co. all the time.
The reason I thought they could is that Cadderly is pretty much the voice of Deneir on Faerun, and as such it isn't possible that he'd be at least an interested observer in the whole Bhaal child thing. After all none of the goodly goods would whan Bhaal reborn would they? Then, as they're wathing the Bhaal child they come into contact with Drizzt et all. and if that happened I doubt Cadderly would stand by and watch..

Great idea !!!! :blink:

In terms of Drizzt being “low level” I was looking at the add for the new Drizzt novel on the back of the current issue of the Knights of the Dinner Table comic book. He is backed up against a rock and is being attacked by 31 big ugly types. There is a list of all the moves/attacks he will make to wipe them all out. Looks like a  series of whirlwind &
Greater death blows to me  :ph34r:

Cheers
Mitch

.bdbb                    

Assassin

Drizzts
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2003, 04:52:33 PM »
For the Archer, here's what could make the battle harder:

Normal Arrows of Dispelling (for those Protection from Magical Weapons)
Arrows of Dispelling + 2 (for those Protection from Normal Missiles)
Arrows of Biting (or some other extremely annoying arrow)

That would force any MAge to buff up both on Protection from Magical Weapons and Protection from Normals Missiles in a Spell Trigger/Contingency immediately.  Also, during the battle, to make it really bad for the Mage (since the Archer can switch targets many times during a round, while the Mage can only cast one spell), keep dispelling his PRotections and lump on a few Arrows of Biting.  The Arrows of Biting will also serve as Spell Disruption.

Targets (in order of priority): Mage, Cleric, Druid (Cleric and Druid could be reversed)

Something tells me, to avoid Staff of the Magi cheese, Guen/Drizzt should be able to see Invisible.  Yes/No?

Maybe also include a couple of dialogue options that require some stat in wisdom/Intelligence/Charisma that would allow you to avoid the Alignment change when you fight him? (I think you do- my memory''s hazy)

Actually, don't give the battle too much extra loot.  Too much extra loot is bad, because then it makes everything too easy.                    

Tyrus

Drizzts
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2003, 12:28:27 PM »
I've been working on a Improved Drizzts Mod and so far I have used a few ideas posted from this board.

If what I'm making works don't count on an easy battle.                    

mitchmc

Drizzts
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2003, 02:32:41 PM »
actually, don't give the battle too much extra loot.  Too much extra loot is bad, because then it makes everything too easy.
Too much extra loot? What is this too much thing ??????????????????    you can’t have too much extra loot with the bottomless bag of holding lol

Seriously though this is one of the last fights in the game. Given the timing Drittzs swords are not that great and if you import to ToB they are outclassed in short order.  :angry:

This is especially true with frostbrand. +3, big hairy deal

Ok the twinkle +5 is nice but it has no special abilities, further in SA the
Scimitar/Wakizashi/Ninja-To weapon type does not have a lot of great weapons that would justify weapon proficiency allocations. (although there are a few in ToB Yamato & Spectral Brand)

If this is going to be an epic level battle, it seems a shame that the reward/loot does not correspond to the difficulty of the battle. ;) at least one of the weapons should be minor
Relic in nature

Some ideas
(based on the premise that some of Drizzts abilities are the result
of wielding twinkle or frostbrand)

Should be useable by thief perhaps adding +1 to back stab
% bonus to hide in shadows
Allows backstab to non thief types  
+1 to offhand THACO or gives equal to four proficiency points in dual wielding
% chance of double damage
% chance of instant kill
equipped gives auto haste (both movement and combat)
+1 attack/round
+5/+6 to evil creatures
(just a few ideas the sword should not have all of them)

Specifically in terms of Frostbrand
+4 would be nice or how about how about +1d8 cold damage
Major fire resistance would be consistent with the story line

I wish I had the ability to help with the mod but I am only semi literate in terms of the computer. I do however run a computer school ( see My Webpage ) and if someone took this over as a project I am sure that I could contribute some computer goodies (video cards ect)

Cheers
MitchMc

Caedwyr

Drizzts
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2003, 04:31:40 PM »
Some ideas
(based on the premise that some of Drizzts abilities are the result
of wielding twinkle or frostbrand)

In the books it makes it pretty clear that other than Drizzt's high running speed, all the abilities are his own.  The scimitars merely allow him to hit the enemy.                    

Kish

Drizzts
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2003, 09:40:38 PM »
Seriously though this is one of the last fights in the game.
                   That's entirely up to the player.  As soon as you return from the Underdark, there he is.  You can easily go to Spellhold as soon as you get 15000 gold and leave most of the quests for Chapter Six.
I generally play chaotic good types, so I will have to
Do something to provoke Drizz;
Lovely roleplaying, that.                    

Assassin

Drizzts
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2003, 11:10:17 PM »
Bah; too much loot is bad.  Too much loot either means that a) it is worthless, to be sold as soon as possible for thousands of gold pieces, or B) it is better than you current weapon(s) (see: Flail of Ages and Celestial Fury) and as such, if it is that powerful, then it's overpowered.

Tyrus: Good, good!  Make it hard enough so that people won't beat it the first time through, yet not overpowered enough so that it's impossible.  Truly, it is a rare battle that is fun, and tough to beat as well. (That combination is really hard to get)

mitchmc

Drizzts
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2003, 03:13:48 PM »
In the books it makes it pretty clear that other than Drizzt's high running speed, all the abilities are his own.  The scimitars merely allow him to hit the enemy.

Yes that is a problem (and the reason for me stating the presumption,)
the books also don't make mention of the fact that if killed he returns to life
in a later chapter (tho it seems to happen a lot in fantasy books) perhaps
through some mystical transference some of his essence is transferred to the weapons.

Again just a rationalization to “support” better weapons

That's entirely up to the player.  As soon as you return from the Underdark, there he is.  You can easily go to Spellhold as soon as you get 15000 gold and leave most of the quests for Chapter Six..

That’s true, however given your PCs level at the outset of the game you may have some difficulty in the underdark, the other thing you could do is leave the Irenicus dungeon and go straight (well you must visit the slums first) to Watchers keep. Lots of good game unbalancing stuff there. Problem is if you go to the Underdark or to Watchers keep right off the bat you will be doing a LOT of reloading.  Unless you are a supergamer in which case you don’t need the goodies to begin with.

In any event how much fun is it  do chapter two quests if you can do chapter four and watchers keep monsters at the outset ??

Lovely roleplaying, that.

No reason to let a little alignment issue get in the way of a good fight. That’s what being chaotic is all about….a little misunderstanding can go a long way, especially with a crusty character such as Drizzt.

As for my preference to run chaotic good characters I have been  playing D&D since the first little three volume set came out twenty odd years ago. (three of us when in on the very first books brought into Calgary, my buddy Ron still has them, lucky bugger)  

I have played a wide variety of characters over the years. My preference is as stated.
Sorry if I don’t meet with your gold seal of approval. We chaotic types however don’t
Care

Bah; too much loot is bad.  Too much loot either means that a) it is worthless, to be sold as soon as possible for thousands of gold pieces, or B) it is better than you current weapon(s) (see: Flail of Ages and Celestial Fury) and as such, if it is that powerful, then it's overpowered.

Always lots of stuff to sell, seems to me by the time I get ¾ of the way through
Ch three I have enough good stuff to finish the game. I don’t have a lot of difficulty with the uber weapons at the games outset.

That seems to me to be the time when you need them.

With the exception of cases where you need +5 to hit, regular weapons are quite sufficient for a higher level party. What does it matter if it is +3 or +5 if your thaco is low and you have good strength ( ie 20 or so, it seems to me that the potions of giant strength combined with the various giant belts do much more to modify to hit rolls and damage done than the “uber weapons ) This is especially true once you have a few whirlwind attacks.  I realized this once when I equipped my character and party with regular weapons to deal with the “magic elementals” in Watchers keep and forgot to change them till I was leaving the keep for good.

Cheers
MitchMc

[!--EDIT|mitchmc|Feb 19 2003, 12:13 AM--]

Assassin

Drizzts
« Reply #42 on: February 18, 2003, 10:24:17 PM »
After getting used to the Celestial Fury and Sanchuudoku (or the Sanchuudoku and Crom Faeyr combination) the normal Katanas looked like a pice of dirt to me.  :o                    

Tyrus

Drizzts
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2003, 07:20:28 AM »
I'm almost done and it has taken longer than hoped because I was busy with other Mods but I should be releasing the Improved Drizzt Mod after I get a new script from Kensai_Ryu.

Anybody want to test it??                    

Assassin

Drizzts
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2003, 12:11:28 PM »
Sure.  I will.  I think I've got a save somewhere... My address is goldrush945@hotmail.com                    

Tyrus

Drizzts
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2003, 01:01:12 PM »
I'll e-mail it to you although at the moment their AI sucks seeing that I haven't got a new script.                    

Eocine

Drizzts
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2003, 03:33:22 AM »
Yep, I'll be more than happy to play test it.                    

Tyrus

Drizzts
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2003, 05:31:27 AM »
@ Eocine:

I need your e-mail because I'm sure that Moonfruit will host the Mod but I can't get hold of him.                    

mitchmc

Drizzts
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2003, 05:36:22 PM »
I would be more than willing but you would have to give me idiot simple
instructions cus in terms of computers I am an idiot :D

my email ismitch.m@abes2000.com

Cheers
MitchMc                    

Tyrus

Drizzts
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2003, 01:03:52 PM »
I will only be able to send it in the weekend because I stuffed something up and have to find out what it is.                    

With Quick-Reply you can write a post when viewing a topic without loading a new page. You can still use bulletin board code and smileys as you would in a normal post.

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name: Email:
Verification:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image
Type the letters shown in the picture:
What color is grass?:
What is the seventh word in this sentence?:
What is five minus two (use the full word)?: